Every housewife wants to have not only a stylish, but also a comfortable kitchen, so when designing this room, great attention should be paid to its layout. Today, square meters can be distributed in various ways, but the U-shaped version of kitchens is especially popular. It allows you to rationally use limited space and translate any design idea into reality.
The U-shaped kitchen is a comfortably furnished room where all storage systems, furniture and household appliances are placed along the three adjacent walls with the letter “P” . Often in such rooms one of the sides is decorated with a peninsula or a bar counter. This type of layout provides for an open passage area and a solid work surface.
As a rule, it is chosen in the following cases :
- for studios and combined living rooms with kitchens;
- if the height of the window sills is 90 or more centimeters (this allows you to conveniently equip the working area and install a sink);
- the kitchen has a rectangular or square shape;
- if you want to make the kitchen not only a room for cooking, but also for meeting friends.
The main advantages of the U-shaped layout include a number of characteristics.
- Comfort The kitchen triangle, consisting of a refrigerator, sink and stove, is conveniently located, and all household appliances are in easy access for the hostess. This greatly simplifies cleaning and cooking, which takes less effort and time.
- Original zoning . If there is a peninsula, the space is divided in such a way that the transition between the kitchen and the living room is smooth. The work area is visually hidden, giving the room a sense of large area. Each square meter is used to the maximum, and there is more free space for moving and storing kitchen utensils.
- Symmetry . Such projects always provide for the symmetry of the room, which is very important for creating a design in a classic style.
In addition to many advantages, a U-shaped layout with a window can cause some inconvenience.
- Bulky . The room is equipped with a large number of modules, which can not be done without, which visually narrows the space. To avoid this, you need to use only a suspended and multifunctional headset. At the same time, in small kitchens there is often no room for decoration of the dining area, in this case, you must strictly observe the balance. In spacious rooms, this problem can be solved by placing the island.
- Additional financial costs . Since U-shaped kitchen furniture can create hard-to-reach areas at the joining points, it must be made to order, giving preference to sliding shelves and carousels. And it costs more than buying a ready-made classic headset.
Making the kitchen with the letter “P” requires careful preparation, so at the beginning a project is created for which it is important to take into account the size, shape of the room, as well as the placement of doors, windows and communications. If the kitchens are small, it is best to choose a different type of layout, since the U-shaped option provides for the presence of a huge number of cabinets and free space . A narrow room is not suitable for such a design project.
In the event that the room meets all the parameters, a drawing is prepared, where the layout of the kitchen equipment (washing machine, dishwasher, hob, cooker hood) is indicated. This is necessary in order to correctly determine the depth of the cabinets and countertops of the working surface. At this stage, it is also necessary to provide for competent zoning, since the accepted standards are used to install the stove, refrigerator and sink.
For example, a refrigerator should not be placed nearby with heating elements such as a battery or stove.
During the planning, you should also determine the number of cabinets, shelves and drawers, for the convenient operation of the equipment, the availability of light sources is also taken into account. An important moment in the design of such a kitchen is the observance of style . The shapes, texture and colors of all elements of the decor should be in harmony with each other, creating an atmosphere of home warmth and coziness. Since the kitchen has a window, it is recommended that it be additionally used as a functional space, continuing the work area.
In order to rationally distribute each square meter of the room, the rule of the "kitchen triangle" should be observed, for this the kitchen is divided into:
- the place of preparation of products for subsequent preparation, where they will undergo pre-processing (countertop, sink);
- cooking area (oven, stove);
- a place for storing kitchen utensils and food products (hinged, floor cabinets, refrigerator).
Special attention should be paid to the dining area, which is usually designed to be located away from the kitchen and should have a smooth transition into the living room. Projects with an island are very popular in modern design, where the entire layout is carried out inside one room. In this case, you need to provide a place to store cutlery, dishes and waste. In addition, the layout of the U-shaped kitchen can be completed with a transition to the entrance hall.
Kitchens decorated with the letter “P” have no restrictions on the choice of style solutions. These rooms look great in a modern design , classic and provence are also ideal for them. The only thing is that the U-shape does not fit well in country , since the island zone does not harmonize with village motifs.
An exception to this can only be rural spacious housing, where the design is appropriate to complement with bright elements and objects of rural motifs.
Many homeowners prefer classic-style kitchens, but a large room can also be beautifully decorated in a minimalist spirit , filling the space with monolithic smooth cabinets, built-in accessories with a glossy surface. This will visually enlarge the room and fill it with a chic atmosphere. Art Nouveau will also be a great choice for U-shaped kitchens, in which it is important to properly use lighting, furniture, colors and the shape of windows.
Modern style is practical and simple. Large rooms can be decorated in the Scandinavian style, as they are most suitable for placing a massive headset and unusual textiles.
The main point in the arrangement of U-shaped kitchens is the right choice of furniture. The kitchen set needs to be acquired compact and convenient in operation. The distance between its edges should be at least 90 cm, best if it is 120 cm.
Upper bulky cabinets are recommended to be replaced with capacious cases, small kitchens can also be decorated with open shelves . In the case when the shape of the room is rectangular, it is recommended to make a huge cabinet on order, which will be placed along one of the walls and become invisible, dissolving in space.
In many kitchens, the height of the window sill is small, because of this it is not possible to install a U-shaped set along the window. In such a layout, a sink is placed under the window, after conducting the water supply system to a given point. If the installation of communications is difficult, then you can connect the headset to the windowsill with the help of a bar counter , it is supplemented with legs and chairs. As for the kitchen furniture, it can be both angular and radial.
For a small kitchen with a refrigerator, it is necessary to purchase a set that matches the color of the ceiling, this will make the room taller and wider.
For square-shaped rooms, projects with an island are well suited, where you need to fill in all the corners using furniture with drawers, shelves and drawers of a carousel type. In this case, the island zone should be located at a distance of 1.2 m from the refrigerator, 1.8 m from the stove and 1.3 m from the sink.
If the design provides for a sofa, it is advisable to choose transformer models that easily turn into a berth and are equipped with many shelves for storing kitchen utensils. This also applies to the dining table, it is best to give preference to folding options , they take up little space when folded and quickly turn into a convenient table with the arrival of guests.
Layout of kitchens is considered one of the complex design tasks, especially if the space of the room is limited. Recently, U-shaped design of kitchens has been very popular, but in order to correctly distribute square meters and create a stylish interior, you need to have some experience. For beginning designers, experts recommend taking into account a number of nuances.
- Lighting In the U-shaped layouts, the ceiling light source is not always enough for high-quality lighting of the room, so it should be supplemented with LED lighting under the cabinets, suspended structures with lamps, spotlights and sconces.
- Rational use of each square centimeter. To do this, you need to use all the corners of the room, place the hood in the center and purchase built-in models of technology.
- Color scheme. Furniture facades need to be selected according to the color of the decorative wall decoration, it is best to give preference to calm and monophonic shades. This will visually increase and expand the space.
Curtains can be both light and bright, with printed patterns in the form of large stripes and cells. Blue, orange and lilac facades look beautiful on a white background. In the event that the walls are quite bright, then the pieces of furniture should be designed in neutral colors : gray, beige and white.
- Compliance with ergonomics . The game with glossy and matte surfaces will help to revive the atmosphere of such a kitchen. The use of various textures is also allowed.
- Combination of finishing material. An interesting effect is created using a combination of dark wood, metal and glass. Using various materials, it is possible to distinguish zones in the room. For example, decorate the working area with tiles, and decorate the dining room with natural wood.
- The use of bright accents . The modern design of the U-shaped kitchens involves the use of contrast and unusual decor. Therefore, do not be afraid of the combination of white with black, cream with raspberry.
At the same time, it is not necessary to equip the kitchen with snow-white household appliances, now microwave ovens, dishwashers and metal-shine refrigerators are in fashion. Fans of an unusual and bright design can especially decorate a kitchen apron and countertops using rich shades.
Today there are many ideas for the design of U-shaped kitchens, they should be chosen, taking into account not only personal preferences, the interior, but also the features of the room. Many owners of small kitchens use options with a bar counter when creating projects.
This design can be placed anywhere :
- near one of the walls (suitable when the space is limited for the design of the dining area);
- in the center of the room (it turns out an island with a small ledge, which further expands the space);
- mobile construction (it can be raised, lowered and put forward at will).
Kitchens with a breakfast bar not only look stylish, but are also considered multifunctional . This design is suitable for both large and small rooms. To give the interior more comfort, neutral and light shades should be used.
It is recommended to supplement the working area and the stand with LED backlight . For wall decoration, decorative plaster is suitable, the apron can be tiled with both a mosaic tile and glass panels with a photo print. As a flooring, it is best to choose a laminate of a milky and beige shade.
Often, U-shaped kitchens are combined with the living room, since such a layout is the most convenient, allows you to save space and create an interesting interior. In this case, the kitchen is used and equipped only for cooking, while the living room acts as a dining room.
To ensure that both rooms correspond to the same design, it is important to make a smooth transition in decoration , observing the general style. In such a design, the same colors and decor elements should be present. The white kitchen looks gorgeous, in which the dining area smoothly acquires milky and light beige shades.
Since all kitchens have a window, its design can also be used to expand the space.
Usually, a sink is placed under it, but if the window sill is small, it is best to place a sofa or dining table and chairs under it. In addition, under the windowsill they often draw up a food storage area. Depending on the chosen layout option, the appropriate lengths of the curtains are selected, their texture and color should be harmoniously combined with wall decoration and furniture.
Open shelves where you can arrange indoor flowers and bright decor elements in the form of figurines, painted dishes and photographs will help to give comfort in such a room .
An overview of the U-shaped kitchen with a breakfast bar, see the video below.