To create the expressive appearance of the flowerbed, a border is needed to clearly indicate the boundaries of the structure. An unusual solution in this situation is the old car tires that car owners throw in a landfill as unnecessary, simply polluting the environment. A handmade product from a used tire will not only help in protecting the environment, but will also become a spectacular decoration for the flowerbed on your garden plot.
The beds of used tires have a lot of advantages:
- Even a middle-income consumer can afford to break a flower bed in his summer cottage or under the windows of a house, because tires that have served their age do not represent any material value. The used material can certainly be found with friends, car owners who dream of getting rid of old tires. For them, this is rubbish, and for an amateur landscape designer - the foundation of a future masterpiece.
- Spent tires no longer have their original stiffness, so they are easy to process. When decorating, they use a small set of tools: chalk, a sharp knife or a jigsaw, a spray can of paint. The simplest garden design does not require any processing - the tire is laid on the ground and filled with soil.
- A rubber garden accessory is known for its durability: it is not afraid of moisture, does not rot, it is not afraid of bacteria and fungi. The likelihood that it will crack due to mechanical shock or severe frost is too small. But even in this case, the situation is solved - the old tire is easily replaced by another.
- The used flowerbed is a compact mobile design that is easy to transport and can easily change location. Nothing prevents you from transporting it even to another city, you just have to remove the old soil.
- Tires are characterized by the ability to transform. Even unique flower beds created with love with your own hands can get bored over time. An easy way to remedy the situation is to repaint the product. With the help of spray cans, you can infinitely vary the color scheme, constantly changing the surroundings of the garden area.
- A flower bed from a used wheel is always a win-win option for landscaping. Such material allows you to show creativity, express yourself, show your artistic potential.
Significant disadvantages of the products are absent. But the adherents of classicism do not favor them: some require something more familiar and elegant, while others do not want to waste time making decorative compositions.
The disadvantages include the combustibility of the material, but with fire safety, this fact is insignificant.
How can i do it?
To create the simplest flowerbed from the old wheel, step-by-step instructions are not required - just put soil into the tire, and the flowerbed is ready. But even such a trivial thing can be made beautiful, give it a character and add some “zest”.
To create an elegant flowerpot from tires, it is enough to make leaves or petals of different sizes along the edge:
- To do this, the inner edge of the rubber wheel is cut in the form of a zigzag or wave-like, then the product is turned out, sanded and covered with the necessary paint.
- But first, mark the future shape of the flowerbed, applying an ornament with chalk. At this stage, it is worth giving vent to imagination and draw any ornament you like.
How to cut?
After marking the pattern, you need to trim the tire for a future flower bed. This is the most time-consuming part of the job. To do this, you need a sharp knife, jigsaw or grinder. Cut with a knife a little longer, but the grinder melts the rubber and adds an unpleasant odor.
To increase the sliding of the knife blade, it can be lubricated with liquid soap during cutting. Significantly facilitate the process will help the use of a jigsaw, which allows you to cut even the most complex shapes.
When cutting, you can be injured, so be sure to use special gloves and safety glasses. Work better on a hard, wide surface: a stable table or piece of plywood laid on the ground.
A respirator will save you from the abundance of rubber dust that Chinese tires are famous for.
You need to cut the pattern strictly along the intended line, then the product will turn out to be smooth and beautiful. The cut out part is not thrown away, it can be used as the basis for a stand or a border for a miniature flower garden.
How to turn out?
To turn the wheel, you need to lay it with the cut side down, grab the cut edge and try to turn it inside out. It is important to at least begin by doing manipulations with a small part of the tire. Then the process will go easier - each part will carry away the next. This work requires a certain physical strength, girls will have a hard time.
How to colorize?
The process of decorating tires is the most enjoyable step in the manufacture, it requires preliminary preparation. The surface of the future shape is carefully sanded to smooth out roughness and other defects. Then the rubber blank is washed from fine dirt and dust stuck in the treads, and degreased with a solvent or white spirit. Only after that they start painting.
Wheel tires can be painted:
- a brush;
- spray gun;
- from spray can.
Using a brush allows you to paint even the most inaccessible areas on the surface, including the gaps between the treads. This method is effective, but takes a lot of time. Using a brush, they also create more subtle elegant patterns, emphasize the details and shapes of the product.
The spray gun guarantees a uniform distribution of the coloring matter. The advantage of this coloring is the absence of streaks and brush marks. The paint consumption in this case is slightly larger than in the previous version.
It is most convenient to do this with a spray can, but this method is the most expensive.
As coloring solutions, enamel, oil or nitro paints are used. The paint is applied not only to the outside, but also capture the upper 10-15 cm of the inner surface. As a primer, it is better to use a white layer and only after that apply a color layer: so the final color will be brighter and more even.
After painting for several days, you need to dry the workpiece in the sun.
When painting tires, it is worth observing several rules:
- when choosing light shades for the border of a flower bed, the soil inside it will not overheat along with the roots of the plants;
- no need to apply a thick layer of paint, otherwise it can crack, especially in frosty winters or scorching summer heat;
- too colorful ornament of a flowerpot can distract attention from the flower arrangements themselves.
The color palette is selected according to the design concept of the garden:
- metallic silver will turn a rubber tire into a glamorous steel vase;
- green color will mask a decorative element on a green lawn;
- bright spectacular shades will make it possible to emphasize the garden plot.
The form can be left monophonic or applied using a stencil, decorated with a strip or pattern imitating brickwork, a chessboard - a variety of ornaments provides great opportunities and scope for the imagination of landscape designers.
Where to place?
Regardless of the location of the structure, the flowerbed from the old wheel always looks spectacular and attracts attention. Fancy figures from tires can be made to decorate the yard by placing them in the front garden at the entrance or on the playground, they look good in the courtyard of a private house or in the country.
The flowerbeds are installed directly on the ground or on special stands, hung on walls and trees as a cache-pot, and pyramids and other complex structures are made of them.
If there is a strong fence or blank wall near the house, the flower garden can be arranged on them by hanging the tires on cables or chains. The space inside is filled with earth, suitable flowering plants are planted. Holes are made in the rubber so that there is where to drain excess water. The bottom of the pot is covered with drainage - enough small pebbles and sand.
This version of the flower bed is relevant for verandas or walls of arbors.
There are a lot of original ideas on how to make your own flowerbed from old tires. Everything that your creative imagination lacks in creating a flower garden has a right to exist.
The main thing in the landscape design of the infield is to design everything in one style:
- A flowerbed can be tires mounted on top of each other in a checkerboard pattern. Such a fence will not only become a wonderful decoration of the courtyard, but will also allow zoning of the space near the house.
- The composition in the form of a children's pyramid is made up of several wheels of different diameters. The top is often a miniature decorative wheel or a pot of flowers.
- Out of many old tires, a structure in the form of a "flower mountain" is well obtained. For the composition, you do not need to cut and turn the tires, you just need to paint and assemble them in a certain order. At the base of the mountain there are 6 wheels, 5 on them, then 3 pieces, one small tire crowns the composition.
- The tire from the machine can be used in an upright position. To do this, it is screwed with a screwdriver to a wooden wall like a mailbox. Climbing plants or flowering nasturtium and petunia will look spectacular in it.
- Old tires are able to take the form of any animals and birds, insects and other representatives of the fauna. Dishes or household items, cartoon characters, architectural monuments, floral motifs can serve as subjects.
A flower bed in the form of a ladybug or a cup of coffee, funny Minions or the Leaning Tower of Pisa - for flexible rubber material, nothing is impossible.
Flower bed daisy
If the space of the personal plot allows, you can make a flowerbed in the form of a flower. The design requires 4 tires, of which 3 must be cut across into two parts - they will become the petals of the future chamomile. The whole tire will be the center of the flower, around which you need to lay the petals.
Tires are dug into the ground by 5-6 cm. Previously, all the blanks are painted in bright positive colors. Petals can be in the same color scheme, or alternate among themselves in 2-3 colors.
Glued glass pebbles can be an extraordinary addition to the pattern; on a flowerbed in the form of a flower, such decorator elements will resemble frozen drops of dew, which will greatly enliven the design.
Even those who do not have special artistic skills and rich imagination can construct such a flower garden. A well made of tires does not require much time and special expenses, but it will look spectacular in landscape design.
Such a decorative object will harmoniously complement the cozy atmosphere of the courtyard of a private house, and the bright design will emphasize the beauty of garden flowers.
For the construction you will need three old tires of the same size. In each of them, cuts are made from opposite sides with a sharp knife to insert further supporting posts for the roof. Poles can be installed on the outside of the tires, which greatly simplifies the work.
The wheels are stacked on top of each other so that the slots match. Supports (usually beams or bars) are stretched through them, which are deepened into the ground and dug up. The area under the well must be level so that the structure is stable.
With a roof resembling a real one, the well looks more realistic. Therefore, it is better to make it from roofing materials, if any remained from the repair. Between the bars establish a support under the roof like a crossbar. Slate, metal tile, other sheet material or boards are attached to it.
The easiest option is to make a roof out of cut rubber wheels. The well is painted in any suitable color; a brickwork pattern is often used for decoration.
Tea pair at the cottage
Connoisseurs of home comfort will love the flower garden in the form of a tea pair. For it, you will need two tires of different diameters, which must be installed on top of each other - first a small one, a larger one on top, and fastened with self-tapping screws.
The upper part of the tire is cut to give the cup realism and make a saucer out of it. For the handle use trim.
The tea set can be painted in the colors appropriate for this, for example, red and white polka dots. A pale blue or pink palette will fill the landscape with the Provencal spirit of the Mediterranean. Using the same technology, you can make a kettle, but instead of a handle from rubber scraps, make a teapot a spout.
The flower garden in the form of a funny amphibian will be appreciated by the kids, and adults will not be able to pass by the green “princess”. The flowerbed in the form of a frog is easy to perform, in fact, even a child can cope with it. All you need is three rubber tires, pre-painted in an emerald shade.
Two wheels are placed next to each other, and the third is placed on top in the center.
For the paws, you can adapt the pieces of the old hose and flat trim tires. Plastic buckets can serve as the eyes of a green beauty, and a plastic bottle is suitable for the crown. If you want to add glamor, you can glue eyelashes with a glue gun, paint lips with red paint, and complete the image with the arrow “Princess Frogs”.
From old tires you can also make an interesting flower girl. A detailed master class on its manufacture, see the next video.