It is difficult to imagine a modern house or apartment without an armchair - a convenient place to relax. Most often, this is a deep soft seat surrounded by a high back, large armrests and a monumental base. But is it always convenient for our back, neck, legs in such furniture? Today we’ll talk about which chairs are the most comfortable for people of different ages and complexities, as well as what to look for when choosing furniture for relaxation.
How is a chair different from a chair? First of all, I want to say that the chair must have armrests, but then we will see that this is not so. Modern manufacturers offer many interesting models without armrests, while at the same time, some models of chairs have them.
Softness is also not an indicator, because a rocking chair can be tough and a chair can have a soft seat. But the height is a more understandable indicator (and that is not always the case). Professionals say that if on this furniture it is more convenient to sit at the dining table, then you have a chair in front of you, and if you are sitting at a coffee table, then this is a lounge chair. Yes, and the depth of the seat is less by the chair.
It is generally more compact, with a lower backrest.
Another feature is a wide variety of models, supports, materials, equipment . But in any case, this is a means of relaxation, even if we are talking about a model for the office. Unlike a sofa, there are many mobile models that can be brought out to the balcony or to the garden. For the home, options with a footrest are often used. There are armchairs with a stand for glasses, a built-in lamp and other accessories. All this makes this furniture very popular.
Armchairs have a conditional classification according to several parameters:
- in size can be large, small, small;
- on stability there are with a support (standard 4 legs, runners, without back legs, with a round base) or without it (suspended);
- armchairs for working at a computer or desk (office), massage and relaxation (recliners);
- stationary chairs, transformers, with a berth;
- wireframe or frameless;
- soft, semi-rigid, hard;
- mechanical, automatic or stably stable;
- a modern armchair can even be without a back and armrests ("egg");
- Folding compact models are available for outdoor recreation that can be easily transported by car.
We will talk about the most popular varieties in the world in more detail.
Such frameless models appeared in the world about 50 years ago, but in Russia this democratic variety became known about 15 years ago. A great way to relax for children and youth in an informal setting. In its form, it may resemble a bag or still a chair without legs - the whole thing is in tailoring. In any case, except for the fabric and the filler, there are no other materials. Polystyrene balls trimmed with microfiber, scotchguard, artificial leather - a very ergonomic version of the furniture, which takes the form of a sitting person.
Frameless furniture is convenient to move because of its light weight , and it’s not difficult to take care of it.
Another plus - the bag can be sewn independently, which will significantly save the family budget.
An excellent means of relaxation - rocking chairs. Traditionally, they are made from rattan - a tropical South Asian plant. But today it can be artificial rattan, and wood, and metal. There are several varieties of such chairs.
- On runners-arches: uniform swaying is carried out back and forth. There are models with a standard or retractable footrest, with a mattress, pillow or in a hard version.
- On a round basis - papasan: wiggle back and forth, left and right; mechanical papasan rotates 360º. Papasans in shape can be in the form of half an orange or a drop of water, with or without armrests, but the main difference from other varieties is the fusion of the back and seat.
- Poeng - a chair without hind legs; special design allows the chair to sway up and down. The front legs are a loop on which the piece of furniture stands. Despite the apparent grace, the chair is reliable and stable. Often comes with a footrest. It will be convenient not only for relaxation, but also, for example, for watching TV.
Such furniture is suitable for home and garden, a small model can be put on the balcony. It is durable, suitable for many style decisions, can be made in any color and with any decor. Rocking not only has a calming effect, but can also help with insomnia and heart rhythm disorders. Initially, furniture made from natural materials will creak until the wood and lianas rub against each other.
A rocking chair option is a hanging model. It is called an egg, a cocoon. It can be in the form of a swing, and for young children - in the form of a cradle. But in any case, this is a very convenient place to relax. Suspended rocking chairs can be attached to a concrete ceiling (the most time-consuming option), to a wooden beam or suspended from a portable rack hook, which is included in the purchase package.
Depending on the size in such chairs you can sit, recline or lie down.
Options with a rack are mobile, so they can easily be moved to a personal plot or a loggia.
In the modern world, many work at home, while the work chair should be no less comfortable than in the office. The correct position of the back, arms and legs will allow the body to be less tired, relieve pain and stagnation of blood in the legs. That is why the office chair is chosen with a lifting mechanism. It can be manual or automatic. It is equally important to adjust the seat height in this way for the student, because he spends a lot of time preparing lessons and then using the computer.
If your family has the opportunity to purchase a massage chair, then this will be a real salvation for people with a sore back. After all, massage is not only the prevention of pain, but also their relief. Prices for such medical equipment can be very high (more than 100 thousand rubles), but the return on it is high. The functionality depends on the selected model:
- rolling the rollers from the neck to the lower back up and down under the skin;
- movement deep into the back - deep kneading;
- twisting movements;
- changing the height of the back and footrest;
- the presence of a player and headphones for listening to music;
- built-in DVD system for watching movies;
- built-in bill acceptor for installation in public places (hospitals, motels, offices);
- jade projectors (there are contraindications for use);
- zero gravity function (Zero Gravity);
- massager for legs.
There are a number of models that are indirectly mentioned above. For example, a massage or office chair can be a recliner if it has a movable back and footrest to help the body relax. The recliner can be quite massive, with a retractable footrest or with a stand-alone pouffe, which can be used in other cases as a stool.
An armchair bed is an extra bed. If it is a transformer or a place of daytime rest, if it is a big papasan.
For the elderly and people with disabilities, there are comfortable chairs that help you to feel more comfortable not only while relaxing, but also taking a bath. There are also special chairs for swimming in the pool.
A special lift will lower and raise a person in such a seat into and out of the water.
If we are talking about frame furniture, then chairs can be made from almost any material. For the frame use:
- the most durable and environmentally friendly species - oak, ash, beech, walnut, rattan (experts advise to abandon conifers);
- metal alloys;
- Chipboard or MDF;
- various types of plastic.
For upholstered furniture, upholstery options are almost unlimited:
- natural or ecoskin;
- tapestry, chenille, jacquard and scotchguard;
- velor, velvet, flock;
- micro velveteen;
- linen or cotton matting;
- fabrics with cashmere.
Natural and synthetic materials are used as filler:
- horsehair and felt;
- synthetic winterizer as a pad;
- polyurethane foam and holofiber;
- komfortel - balls from polystyrene for bean bags;
- foam rubber.
How to choose?
The selection criteria will be very different when it comes to a chair for work, leisure, an elderly person or a child. This must be taken into account, paying attention to the following aspects.
- Depending on the requirements, the same chair for different people can be either convenient or inconvenient.
- To relax the muscles of the back and buttocks, the seat should sink slightly back. If the seat is located strictly horizontally, then the coccyx exerts more pressure, which does not allow you to relax.
- The height of the seat should not exceed 50 cm, but not lower than 40 cm. But these parameters are very individual and depend on the height of the person. The seat depth is 50-60 cm and the width is 50-70 cm.
- The larger the seat, the more likely it is that there should be rollers or extra pillows under your back and arms, otherwise it will be uncomfortable to sit.
- For a relaxation chair, the back angle is considered normal if it is 120 degrees or more.
- To support the neck and head you need a high back. If the chair is designed for a “reclining” position, then a low back will do.
- The armrests should be so high that the shoulders are not raised. With too high and wide armrests, shoulders and neck will quickly tire.
- Especially for the elderly, the presence of a footrest is important.
- For children, the choice of a comfortable chair is a security issue: not high, without the ability to pinch your arm or leg, steady.
- If the chair is intended for a person of high stature or heavy weight, then he must definitely try it in business while still in the store. Although this advice should be applied to everyone. After all, if the furniture bent under you, staggered, then it can hardly be called reliable.
- When buying a transformer, models with a manual or automatic mechanism, be sure to assemble, disassemble them or work on the remote control yourself before you buy.
- If there are animals in the house, it is reasonable to choose an anti-vandal scotchguard, microfiber or flock as upholstery.
- For a classic bedroom or living room, familiar armchairs are suitable. For a large area, the furniture can be round or oval, for a small one - square or rectangular.
- Transformers are convenient in a large living room or small apartment.
- On a rocking chair it’s convenient to rock the baby, and you can carry it from room to room.
- Mobile bean bags are suitable for children.
- Hanging models are a great option for relaxing in the garden, on the balcony, in the nursery.
The time of monolithic armchairs “like everyone else” is a thing of the past. Due to the huge number of manufacturers you have the opportunity to purchase comfortable chairs for every taste.
See how to choose the right bean bag chair in the next video.