Even 20 years ago, in almost every house you could see not a modern computer, the music on which is played from a disk or the Internet, but a tape recorder with large coils on which a magnetic metal tape is wound. Today, this device can be called a rarity. Coils with tape in life are practically not used, but continue to be used in professional recording studios, in cinema.
The very first magnetic tape for a tape recorder was created in Germany in 1934.
This year, the Baden aniline-soda factory produces a magnetic tape.
Its manufacture is a rather lengthy process for which a special production technology has been developed. It consists of the following steps:
- manufacture of varnish: for this, the magnetic powder is mixed with a binder, solvent, additive;
- the varnish goes through the filtration process;
- the watering machine is filled with filtered varnish;
- then the process of applying a thin layer of varnish to the base, the thickness of which is from 4 to 75 microns;
- with the help of a binder, the magnetic powder is fixed on the recording medium - tape.
When all the main technological processes are completed, the finished tape tape is calendered and cut according to standard sizes. Such a product is characterized by:
- sensitivity to various influences;
- the presence of non-linear distortion;
- a certain level of echo, noise;
- adhesion resistance;
- permissible load level.
As soon as the production of magnetic films began, standards appeared that determine the permissible thickness of the product. According to them, it can have the following parameters:
- 55 microns : the very first tapes were made of precisely this thickness, they were characterized by sensitivity, very often torn (but they could be glued even at home, using vinegar);
- 37-35 microns - the most common thickness;
- a thickness of 27 microns is used in a film of a household type, it is a very thin product that is prone to deformation;
- 18 microns : a film of this thickness is used in a reel tape recorder, produced in small quantities.
It's no secret that magnetic tape has only one purpose - with its help, music and video are played on a tape recorder. But there are still differences between the products. There are several classifications of tapes.
- A type. The film is single-layer and all-metal. At the heart of a single-layer tape is ferrite powder, which is uniformly applied to the entire area of the product. But an all-metal film is a strip, the basis of which is carbon steel.
- Appointment: reel or cartridge. The first option is wound around a reel; installing it in a tape recorder is not easy for an inexperienced person. That is why cassette magnetic tapes were invented and created, which are quite simple to operate.
Cassette tape for a tape recorder, in turn, differs in the composition of the working layer, which can be based on:
- ferroxide spraying;
- metallic iron powder;
- chrome and ferroxide spraying.
Devices into which magnetic drums are inserted and played can be domestic and studio in nature.
It is unchanged that an audio recording is recorded on a magnetic tape, and it is played back from it.
It is used:
- at home to play music;
- in recording studios: it is on such a device that recording is transferred from a computer;
- in cinema;
- in IT companies;
- in research organizations.
In order for the tape to last as long as possible, and the information stored on it did not have to be restored, the product must be looked after. First you need to properly demagnetize it, periodically have to clean. If the tape is torn, it can be glued.
Given the fact that in recent years the demand for magnetic films has grown, it will be relevant to talk about how to choose the right product, what to look for when buying.
Criteria for choosing a magnetic tape:
- type of product;
- in which area will be used;
- technical parameters: tape width and length, coil diameter and type;
It is best to buy a product such as a tape for a tape recorder, like the tape recorder itself, in specialized stores where they will advise you, talk about how to use the device correctly, store it, and will definitely give a receipt and a warranty card. Buying with your hands, if you are not sure about the seller, is not recommended.
To learn how to record a 320nW / m level test tape for tuning a tape recorder, see further.