There are many types of headphones. In a separate category include modern monitor devices that are distinguished by excellent quality and impressive size. Models of this kind are sold in many stores. During its existence, monitor headphones managed to acquire a mass of fans. In today's article, we will take a closer look at such a technique and learn how to pick it up.
What it is?
The name "monitor headphones" usually refers to high-quality and full-sized accessories that convey excellent sound quality and clarity. In most cases, these devices are used for recording vocals, DJ sets, arranging, writing and monitoring music. These popular studio gadgets can be great helpers for sound engineers or musicians.
When recording tracks in a studio environment, specialists should capture the sound as clearly as possible, noticing any rustles and distortions. Only then, as a result, you can get a really high-quality audio product, devoid of any flaws. The range of reproducible frequencies in current monitor headphones can be compared with the sound of full-fledged and large speakers, which are included in various ratings of the best equipment for DJs and sound engineers.
Modern monitor-type headphones are presented in a rich assortment. Many models are used in professional fields and are very popular. The demand for such high-tech equipment is not surprising - monitor headphones have a lot of positive characteristics that attract not only sound engineers, but also ordinary users.
- Similar models of headphones can work with maximum noise isolation, which is very convenient.
- Most monitor headphones are very comfortable. They lightly press on the head, do not cause discomfort. For many users, this is an important condition in choosing music accessories.
- Modern "monitors" are presented in a wide range. They are produced by many large brands. On sale you can find many devices that differ from each other in a variety of ways. On the shelves of shops are exposed not only classic, but also wireless items, which are one of the most convenient to use, because they do not need extra cables and wires to connect. No less popular and special products - in-ear inserts, which are chosen by many consumers.
- Such models of headphones can be different, as well as the price tag on them. This means that many of the devices have an affordable price.
- Most monitor headphones boast high-quality reproducible sounds. Tracks are played without unnecessary interference, noise and distortion. That is why such thoughtful devices are often operated in professional fields.
- Many monitor headphones are made from practical and durable materials. Especially popular today are accessories made of metal or aluminum alloy. Such products are ready to work for many years. They are difficult to damage or deform, which cannot be said about cheap devices made of inexpensive plastic.
Such headphone models do not have serious flaws. User dissatisfaction can only consist in too tight and tight-fitting closed accessories. However, this feature should not be attributed to the minuses of such devices - this is their characteristic, which you have to reckon with if you want to hear the highest quality sound.
Some devices are very expensive. Usually these are professional accessories that are designed for use in a studio environment. On sale you can find such models, the cost of which exceeds 40 thousand rubles.
Of course, their quality and characteristics justify the final price, but many consumers are not happy with such numbers.
"Monitors" are different. Such products are produced by many well-known manufacturers, so accessories with differing technical characteristics come on sale. We will analyze in more detail what types of modern monitor headphones are divided into, and what features they have.
These models of monitor headphones are considered one of the most popular and convenient to use. They are more common than other varieties. The comfort of open “monitors” is due to the most “soft” and neat ear coverage. In this case, there is no unpleasant squeezing of the head, and the sound quality is impeccable and as clear as possible.
It should be noted that when using professional open-type headphones, it is worth forgetting about the high level of noise isolation.
Absolute immersion in the listening process cannot be achieved, which repels some users who are looking for exactly this important quality in the “monitors”.
Closed type monitor headphones are literally designed for use in a recording studio. These products boast the highest levels of noise isolation. Among the other models of headphones, it’s closed options that differ in such positive characteristics.
Closed monitor headphones are distinguished by the fact that they are equipped with a rather tight and rigid headband. This feature is inherent in such “monitors” due to the distortion of low frequencies in the event of a loose fit of “cups” to the ears of the listener. This fact must be taken into account when choosing such devices.
Closed models of monitor headphones are in most cases equipped with special ear pads. It is due to these important components that the devices fit snugly to the listener's head. The lateral sides of the "cups" of such accessories are not equipped with additional holes, so the sound never goes beyond the device.
Closed monitor headphones are considered the ideal solution for music lovers who like to listen to rock music or metal.
The bass in such devices is especially noticeable - this is one of their main features.
Monitor headphones of this type are classified as a subclass of open models. Like the main variety, these devices are very convenient to use. They do not cause discomfort and do not put pressure on the listener's head.
Today, many large manufacturers produce such models of monitor headphones.
Many devices have affordable prices.
Rating of the best models
Modern manufacturers produce a lot of high-quality models of monitor headphones. Difficulties in choosing a suitable option lie only in a huge model range. Consider a small rating of the best models from different brands.
Audio-Technica ATH M30X
These are inexpensive, but high-quality monitor headphones related to the budget class. These devices have a special removable cable. In the set with headphones there are two necessary wires: one for 1 meter and the second for 3 meters. The technology was developed based on AKG technology, and the sensitivity of these headphones is 98 dB / mW.
Modern Japanese headphones from Sony are in great demand. This model is very convenient to use at home, and on the street, and at work in a professional studio. These devices may well cause interest among DJs due to the excellent quality of playback of sound tracks. The range of equipment is from 10 to 20,000 Hz. The sensitivity of these headphones is slightly above average and reaches 100 dB. Impedance - 63 ohms.
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Reliable and practical headphones with excellent sound quality. The manufacturer of these popular devices is Germany. These headphones belong to the classic category and are suitable for information or recording. They are often used in modern studios. The technique has a spiral drive. It can stretch up to 3 meters. There is a dynamic type of playback with a range from 8 to 25000 Hz.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro (250 OHM)
These are popular German headphones, the appearance of which can not be called youthful or too presentable. They look the simplest and most discreet. Equipped with large side bowls, spiral type drive. The device has a special relief coating, designed under the skin. The equipment looks massive, but weighs only 270 g. The headphones are equipped with a reliable metal frame, leather headband. Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro is very comfortable to sit on the head of the listener, since the adjacent part is made as soft and pleasant as possible. The type of reproduced sound is dynamic, the frequency frames are limited to 5-35000 Hz.
Popular American "monitors" of high quality, related to the premium class. These devices have been designed specifically for professional musicians and sound engineers. The range of the dynamic type is from 5 to 25000 Hz. Sensitivity - 99 dB / mW. The accessory has a very small weight - only 286 g.
It is characterized by excellent quality, since it is based on an alloy of aviation aluminum.
AKG K712 Pro
These are high-quality Austrian headphones designed specifically for professional sound engineers. The specified model is assembled manually and has a truly unique design. Headphones are equipped with comfortable and soft “cups” that you do not get tired of even after long wear. The resistance of the device is only 62 ohms, so you can safely use even high-power equipment to play sound. The operating range of the device is 10-39800 Hz.
These products are ideal for those cases when you want to hear the highest quality sound in the headphones and from the stage.
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
These are high-quality German headphones, which, if desired, can be used for recording, although they are not quite suitable for this. In the knowledge of these devices it is very difficult to find competitors. The device is perfectly balanced, differs in smooth frequency response, practically has no displacements. The frequency range is in the range from 5 to 35000 Hz. The sensitivity of these monitor headphones is 95 dB.
They are made of strong and durable metal, which makes them practical and wear-resistant.
These are high-quality headphones made in Japan, which are designed for use in a studio environment with semi-professional equipment. The input power of this device is 1600 mW. The product has an attractive and stylish design that is liked by many users. The case is made of durable aluminum, fabric pads are provided.
If you use these devices for a long time, there is no risk of discomfort, as they are very convenient.
These are popular German headphones of impeccable workmanship. Accessories can please with crystal clear sound and universality. The range of these accessories is from 10 to 41000 Hz. Sensitivity reaches 103 dB.
The impedance is only 300 ohms - this is not the best indicator for the devices in question.
Fostex T50RP MK3
Closing the top of the best models are these high-quality Japanese monitor-type headphones. The accessory has a fairly simple, eye-catching design. These studio headphones are more distinguished by "internal filling" than by external data. The operating range of these products is from 15 to 35000 Hz, and the maximum power reaches 3000 mW.
The accessory has a comfortable and soft headband with automatic adjustment provided.
Criterias of choice
If you want to buy high-quality monitor headphones that will not disappoint you later, then you should be more careful when choosing them. We will analyze, by points, what parameters of devices it is worth paying attention to, looking for the best option.
- The purpose of the acquisition. The first thing you need to pay attention to is directly the goal of buying monitor headphones. If you buy a device exclusively for normal home use, then it makes no sense to look for very expensive devices designed for professional use. If you are looking for the best model for a recording studio, solving more serious problems, then you should pay attention to more thoughtful models with rich technical parameters.
All characteristics are best checked with the accompanying documentation.
- Convenience. Professional monitor headphones must be comfortable for you. You can try on a device before buying, if possible. Consider the fact that open models in the sock are freer, and closed ones may seem taut - this is not their drawback. The second options should be such for high-quality sound reproduction.
Make sure that the gadget sits on you normally, without falling off and without causing pain.
- Design. This is not the most important parameter in the choice of monitor headphones, but many users pay it a lot of attention. After all, using attractive products is more pleasant. Modern manufacturers produce a lot of models that have both a simple and original appearance that catches the eye.
The choice of the best option is up to the consumer.
- Build quality. Do not be too lazy to meticulously examine the accessory that you liked. Do not rush to pay for your favorite model of headphones. Take a close look at them. Devices should not be damaged by scratches, scuffs or chips. Loose parts and loose parts in the design of the accessory should not be.
If you notice at least one of these shortcomings, it is better to refuse to buy - you should look for another option or visit another store.
- Sound quality. It is advisable to listen to what sound the selected monitor headphones play. It should be clean, free from distortion, noise and other possible defects. If those were noticed by you, this should cause you certain doubts.
Devices that do not work properly should not be bought.
- Brand Buy exclusively branded monitor headphones. Such products last longer and look more attractive. Such devices are sold in many specialized stores where audio or household appliances are sold. In such places you will be allowed to examine the device in detail, as well as try it out. In branded retail outlets, along with branded devices, a warranty card is issued with which you can return to the place of purchase in the event of a defect or malfunction of the equipment.
Review of SAMSON SR850 monitor headphones in the video below.