Liquid sodium glass is a proven tool that has high adhesive qualities and does not lose its relevance for a long time. Using this inexpensive universal material allows you to quickly and efficiently waterproof structures, strengthen concrete screeds, and clean household utensils.
Liquid sodium glass is a type of adhesive , which is widely used in construction and waterproofing works. The basic component of the material is sodium silicate, the presence of which is due to the high performance properties of the solution.
Liquid sodium glass is produced in accordance with GOST 13078 81. It consists of oxides of sodium, iron, aluminum with the addition of silicon dioxide, sulfuric anhydrite, caustic soda and silicate module. The presence of sodium in the composition is determined by 9%, potassium values are much lower, they are about 0.2%. The time of complete solidification of the composition used in its pure form is 10 minutes, while in the composition of various solutions the time increases to two hours.
The density of the material is 1.45 grams per cubic cm , the specific gravity of the substance is 1.45, the shelf life is 2 years, and the melting point corresponds to 1088 degrees. Unlike potassium compounds, the sodium solution is able to form a more stable and durable joint, which compares favorably with other silicate mixtures.
The manufacture of liquid glass is a rather complicated process and consists of several stages. Soda, potash, sodium sulfite and other components are added to the crushed quartz sand. Then the mass is placed in autoclaves and smelted in the form of a monolithic ingot, which is subsequently dissolved at a temperature of 170 degrees. The resulting solution is liquid sodium glass.
The composition was widely used in repair and construction. Its addition to plaster and putty mortars greatly increases their refractoriness, strength and moisture resistance. The tool eliminates cracks, chips and other defects of ceilings and walls. The material is well established and as an additive to primers for various purposes.
Especially effective is the priming of concrete screeds with such mixtures. The use of sodium glass significantly increases the strength of concrete, giving it fire-resistant and antiseptic properties. Sodium glass can easily remove old varnish or oil. And the addition of a variety of dyes to the composition allows you to use the tool as a silicate paint.
The mixture can also be used to prevent corrosion on metal substrates. To prepare the anti-corrosion composition, cement is mixed with sodium glass in a 1: 1 ratio and poured with a small amount of liquid. The material well tolerates the aggressive effects of the environment and can be used not only indoors, but also outdoors. This allows waterproofing of wells, water reservoirs, bowls of artificial reservoirs and basements. For work, 10 parts of concrete and one part of liquid sodium are taken.
The composition has been widely used as an additional component to masonry compositions. It is often added to the facing solutions designed for the outdoor decoration of fireplaces and stove chimneys. In everyday life, liquid glass is used to repair aquariums and clean household items. To prepare a cleaning solution, you must mix 25 parts of water and one part of sodium silicate. The resulting mixture must be poured into a large container. Then you should put there the dishes that you want to clean, and boil the composition.
Sodium glass can be used to cover damaged areas of the water supply system , remove greasy stains from clothing, and as an additive in lime, intended for finishing any surfaces. When lime and sodium silicate are mixed, a particularly strong material is formed - calcium silicate, which significantly increases the resistance of the lime coating to external factors, and significantly extends the life of the lime coating.
The popularity of liquid sodium glass both in the form of fixed assets and as additives in various mortars is due to a number of positive properties of the material.
- Good elasticity of the composition allows you to use it as an additive for concrete solutions. The material penetrates into any, even the smallest cracks and fills them, thereby preventing the appearance of voids and cavities in the formed concrete layer. In addition, the overall strength of the concrete coating is significantly increased.
- The optimum ratio of price and quality. The cost of 5 kg of the mixture is about 200 rubles, which significantly increases consumer demand and the use of material in construction.
- Sodium glass is highly durable. It is resistant to chemicals and extreme temperatures.
- The material significantly reduces the time of complete hardening of the cement, so the repair time can be significantly reduced.
- The low thermal conductivity of liquid glass allows the use of a tool to create thermal insulation of rooms. The composition withstands temperature jumps up to 1200 degrees and is able to tolerate numerous cycles of freezing and thawing.
- The complete environmental safety of the material is due to the absence of toxic and poisonous substances in its composition. Although it is worth remembering that alkali, which is one of the components of the solution, is a danger to the skin at the installation stage. Therefore, when working with liquid glass, protective gloves must be worn.
- The tool has a pronounced antiseptic effect, due to which there is no risk of mold, fungus and pathogens on the treated surfaces.
The disadvantages of liquid glass include too high setting and hardening rates , as well as the undesirability of using material for processing surfaces intended for painting.
Instructions for use
In order to properly prepare a mortar with the addition of liquid sodium glass, the proportions should be observed:
- in concrete solutions, the amount of liquid glass can be 5-20% of the total weight of the composition;
- to obtain a refractory composition, one part of cement, three parts of sand and 10-25% of liquid glass are required;
- primer mixes consist of cement and sodium glass, taken in a 1: 1 ratio, and are diluted with liquid to the desired consistency;
- 400 g of silicate glass and 1 liter should be taken for antiseptic treatment of the bases. water;
- when using the product as an adhesive for linoleum, the material consumption should be equal to 200-400 g per square meter of the base;
- to prepare a waterproofing solution, cement, sand and silicate glass must be taken in equal quantities.
Work with silicate glass should be carried out in a well-ventilated area using personal protective equipment. If the composition gets on the skin or mucous membrane, immediately wash the contaminated area with plenty of cool water and contact a medical institution. To avoid fakes, you should buy the composition only from reliable manufacturers. It is also advisable to check the availability of certificates of conformity and other supporting documentation.
Liquid sodium glass is in high consumer demand and has many positive reviews. Buyers note the affordable cost of the material, which allows it to be widely used both as an additive in various construction and priming solutions, and as an independent tool. Attention is drawn to the ease of preparation and ease of application of the composition. The excellent waterproofing properties of sodium glass are also highly appreciated, which makes it possible to carry out hermetic cladding of cellars and pools. Cons include the need for quick use of the composition due to its short “viability”.
More details about the nuances of working with liquid glass are discussed in the video.