The European plumbing market is very wide and replete with offers that can decorate the bathroom. Italian sanitary ware is always out of competition in this segment. With the advent of wash basins, Italian fashion has returned.
What it is?
Laundry sinks are wash basins. Fans of washing machines say that they do not make sense in the age of high technology, but this is a hasty conclusion. The washbasin looks almost the same as a regular washbasin. A distinctive feature is a very deep bowl. Usually it has a square, rectangular or oval shape, always with rounded edges, as ergonomics require. One of the slopes of the sink is made like a washboard.
Italian models have come into fashion, because in addition to the reputation of reliable and durable plumbing, they are famous for their beauty. If you want to buy a real masterpiece of quality and design, you should pay attention to products from Italian manufacturers.
About the disadvantages and advantages
Laundry sinks are underestimated, although they have a number of advantages over conventional sinks and even washing machines, so having such a sink at home is a great solution.
- Volume. Standard sinks have small bowls and are mainly suitable for personal hygiene - only small items of clothing can be washed in them. Laundry sinks use more water. Soak, starch, wash and even bleach things before washing can be directly in them.
- The diameter of the drain wash shells is larger than usual to cope with large volumes of water. It is not recommended to load standard sinks so to avoid blockages.
- Strength. Using particularly aggressive household chemicals can damage a conventional sink. Special wash basins have no such problems due to earthenware spraying. The one-piece coating does not absorb dirt, which significantly increases the service life.
- Heat resistance. Products are coated with a heat-resistant coating, which is not afraid of contact with boiling water.
- Corrugated wall. It looks like washboards, but at times more convenient.
Of course, in addition to the pros, there are also disadvantages. This type of sink is not suitable for every apartment due to its size and weight. Before you think about purchasing it, you should determine whether the bathroom is suitable for such plumbing. In addition to the high price for the product, you will need to pay for the installation or even the redevelopment of the entire bathroom, despite the fact that sinks can be of compact types - mounted or built-in. An illiterate installation can lead to unplanned repairs.
The first type of application for washbasins is washing.
Many note that due to some of the advantages described above, they are also great for washing and washing things and objects, such as:
- shoes, especially winter;
- blankets and bedspreads exceeding the weight of the washing machine;
- equipment for cleaning the house;
- garden tools;
- large items like children's bicycles and street toys;
- such sinks are also suitable for bathing children and pets.
Speaking of sinks with large and deep bowls, it is worth paying attention to Hatria Complementi with an average size of 60x60 cm, earthenware spraying. These models are equipped with good overflows, which will allow you to safely collect water.
The Galassia Osiride series has a ceramic coating, more rounded edges, a large drain. Its depth is about 50 cm, weight - about 30 kg.
The complete Globo Gilda with floor stand is a great example of how solidity justifies functionality. It has dimensions of 75x65x86 cm and weight 45 kg. This model has overflow and holes for the mixer both on the left and on the right.
Kerasan Comunita sinks have approximately the same parameters, but no holes for the mixer are provided.
How to choose?
When choosing or ordering a wash basin, you should pay attention to several important criteria.
The most compact Italian sinks have dimensions of 40x40 cm, the largest - 120x50 cm. The choice of sizes should be made depending on the layout. The larger the sink, the greater the consumption of material and price.
Bowls are found in a variety of shapes: rectangular, round, and even asymmetrical. Rectangular and square options have large volumes, and oval and round ones look aesthetically pleasing. Not only practicality is important, it is worth starting from personal preferences. Firms Cielo and Simas rely on design without neglecting convenience. The series, decorated with animal print and presented in round bowls, was a hit from Cielo. Simas prefers restrained colors and oval shapes.
A washboard is the ribbed surface of one of the slopes. It helps to remove many contaminants, but it takes part of the volume from the bowl, making the product more expensive. For example, the Globo Fiora and Galassia Meg models are presented with wooden boards, and the washing board in the Colavene Pot sink was made in the form of a plant leaf.
If you often draw water, then overflow will avoid excesses. Now finding a sink without overflows is not easy. Models without overflow - Disegno Ceramica in the Yorkshire series.
Plastic models are suitable only for street use. Faience and porcelain successfully combine price and practicality. For maximum strength and durability there is stainless steel and porcelain stoneware. Plumbing from Italy is usually represented by earthenware, porcelain and ceramics.
A little bit about installation
The main thing to consider during installation is weight. Laundry sink weighs several times more than usual, you need strong mounts. It is worth using special legs to protect the tiles and provide stability if you buy a washbasin with a washing board. The rest of the installation is not more complicated than any other.
According to the method of fastening, sinks are divided into such types as:
- hanging console sinks;
- pedestal sinks;
- built-in sinks that are mounted on furniture.
When choosing a particular type of washbasin, adhere to the advice of specialists.
- For small washing, a suspended or built-in stainless steel unit with a small bowl, for example, 40 by 60 cm, is enough. For example, small Colavene Lavacril models (60x60x84 cm) and Berloni Bagno Day (50x64x86 cm). Pedestal designs often have large bowls.
- Installation on the cabinet is a saving of space, since the place under the sink is suitable for storing anything. Colavene offers the Active Wash range, which includes double washbasins with a large compartment underneath. A washing structure is often adjacent to a washing machine. A striking representative is the Duo Colavene series with dimensions of 106x50x90 cm.
When choosing the best model, you should pay attention to the most popular manufacturers from Italy.
This manufacturer does not depart from the traditions of high-quality production of sanitary ware, using glassy porcelain and thin clay in his works. Brand products are in demand due to their classic design. The company specializes in the manufacture of sinks, toilets and bidets.
A distinctive feature of the products of this brand is that all products are covered with finely dispersed enamel (the company's own development), which makes toilet bowls, bidets, sinks, bathtubs invulnerable to household chemicals and other injuries.
The company produces products of exquisite design, ranging from shower trays and ending with toilets and bidets from sanitary ware. She boasts collections of stone wash basins.
The company relies on frequent updates in technical equipment, paying great attention to aesthetics. It offers a wide selection of collections and equipment - chrome faucets and shower racks, comfortable rounded toilets and bathtubs, elegant shower enclosures and trays, as well as bathtub sinks, which are mainly built-in and on a pedestal.
The company mainly offers suspended and cantilever ceramic sanitary ware. Products differ from competitors in many options for custom finishes.
Cielo is a leading company producing designer bathroom fixtures and uses round shapes and many natural colors for its bathtubs, toilets, sinks and shower trays.
Kerasan represent a wide range of products - bathtubs, hot tubs, bidets, toilets, sinks (most often hanging) made of glazed porcelain and refractory clay.
Economic technical design is suitable for various needs, including it can be used not only for washing. Do not deny the pleasure of making the bathroom more functional.
For information on how to wash things by hand, see the video below.