In the age of modern technology, you will no longer see anyone watching the contents of your phone on a large TV screen. Connecting a smartphone is carried out in various ways. Before connecting, be sure to check the compatibility of the OS and the characteristics of the television receiver.
How to connect Android to the TV, and what are the possible options for wireless and wired connections - this will be discussed below.
Cable Connection Methods
Connecting your phone to a TV opens up a wide range of possibilities. On the widescreen TV screen you can watch videos and photos, movies and favorite shows. And you can also play and transfer files. There are many options for connecting to a TV. First of all, it's worth talking about the wired connection of the phone to the TV receiver.
Previously, global manufacturers have released phones that were equipped with an HDMI port. Later, companies began to produce mobile devices with only a USB connector.
The presence of an HDMI port significantly increased the cost of devices. In addition, the extra connector took up space on the case and spoiled the appearance of some models.
If the phone still has a connector for an HDMI cable, then the connection is quite simple.
- In the settings of the television, you need to open the menu and select the “Signal Source” (HDMI).
- Next, an HDMI cable is connected to the mobile gadget.
- After these steps, auto-tuning of the image will begin . If nothing happened on the screen, then you need to set the desired picture resolution frequency in the phone settings menu.
And also keep in mind that during operation via an HDMI wire, you need to connect a charger to the phone. The process of working through HDMI does not imply charging the gadget.
This connection option is optimal and the most common. All modern smartphones and TVs are equipped with USB connectors. Therefore, to pair the devices you will need an ordinary USB cable, which is included with the phone.
To pair, you need to perform a number of steps.
- Turn off the TV receiver, connect the USB cable.
- We connect the side of the wire with a mini-USB connector to the smartphone. After that, the menu will open, and you need to click on the "Turn on USB-drive."
- Then you need to turn on the TV receiver, go to the connections section and select the USB output.
After these actions, a window opens in the form of an explorer with files. Next, select the desired file and open. The USB connection setup sequence may vary depending on device models.
It should be noted that not all phone files can be displayed on a large screen. This is due to the fact that even the smartest TV models do not have the ability to support some video, image and game formats. In order for the TV receiver to read all the necessary files, you need to convert the content to the desired format. You can find out the supported TV formats in the operating instructions.
Connecting a smartphone is also possible through the “tulips”. This method is used in older TVs where there is no HDMI connector. However, to use this option, you will need not just an RCA cable, but an adapter from an RCA to HDMI cable and an HDMI-HDMI cable.
Connection is performed by several actions.
- One end of the wire must be connected to the smartphone, the other to the adapter.
- You need to connect three plugs to the outputs on the back of the TV receiver. A yellow plug for video, white with red for audio.
- Follow the steps as if connecting an HDMI.
This option for connecting devices will significantly degrade the quality of the picture. This should be considered.
MHL (or SlimPort)
If your phone does not have an HDMI port, then you should use a special adapter to connect. The MHL adapter combines the functionality of the HDMI and USB elements.
In order to display a picture from your phone on a widescreen screen, you must first connect the MHL adapter to your smartphone. After that, a regular HDMI cable is connected to the adapter. The other side of the wire is connected to the TV receiver. Next comes auto-tuning, and the picture is displayed on a large screen. The setting process may vary on different TV models. If auto-tuning was not performed, then on the TV remote control, press the Source key and select HDMI.
After these steps, the picture from the phone will be duplicated on the TV receiver.
The list of devices that are compatible with the MHL adapter can be found on the official website on the Internet. Connecting the adapter to a smartphone does not require installing drivers, the device does not need to be pre-configured. Mobile gadgets already have a special encoding chip that is responsible for transmitting and signal speed.
SlimPort is an alternative to the MHL adapter . Such an interface began to be found in the software of more advanced smartphone models. The difference between SlimPort and MHL is to equip the case with standard inputs for the video stream: VGA and HDMI. Through the adapter, you can connect not only a smartphone to the television, but also a computer monitor.
There are two types of adapter.
- Normal adapter . On one side it is connected to a TV receiver, and on the other - to the charging connector on the phone.
- An adapter equipped with several connectors. In addition to input / output, there is a connector for charging. While working with a smartphone, you can connect a charger and not be afraid that the gadget will be quickly discharged. Of the advantages of such an adapter, it is worth noting the small amount of energy consumed and the ability to support Full HD images.
It is worth noting that the adapter is not too common among users because of the small number of supported gadgets.
There are also wireless options for connecting smartphones to TV sets.
If the TV is not equipped with this module, you can buy an external adapter that plugs into the USB connector. To pair via Bluetooth, do the following:
- download a special program for controlling a TV receiver to a smartphone;
- enable the Bluetooth function on both devices;
- run the application on the phone;
- select scan for available devices;
- make pairing.
After the connection, the picture from the screen of the mobile device will be broadcast on the big screen of the television receiver.
This connection option is optimal and easiest if both devices have the Wi-Fi direct option. To connect, you need to perform several actions.
- Open the phone settings menu , go to the Wi-Fi direct section and enable the function.
- Enable the same option on the TV . The names of the menu sections may differ depending on the TV model. As a rule, you need to find the "Network" and turn on Wi-Fi. The TV starts searching for the mobile device. After that, the phone will be detected, and a small window with the inscription "Connect" will open. You must confirm the action on both devices.
Another type of wireless connection. It is carried out using Wi-Fi, therefore, to get started, you need to enable Wi-Fi-direct on the TV and smartphone.
In order to display the picture on the TV screen, slightly different actions are required. The principle of action depends on the versions of Android and TV models. You can see the exact settings on the Internet or in the instructions.
General rules for connecting via Miracast:
- in the phone menu you need to find the section “Connection. Other networks ”and enable the Miracast function;
- turn on Miracast on the TV, having previously entered the “Menu. Networks ";
- a list of the devices found will be displayed on the smartphone’s screen, among them you need to select the desired TV model and start the connection.
After that, the image from the phone should be displayed on the TV screen.
But it is worth considering that this function only works on modern models of Smart TVs.
How to manage?
Controlling a TV receiver via a smartphone depends on the type of connection between devices. All of the above options for connecting a TV and phone open up great opportunities for the user. Files from the phone will be displayed on the big screen. Through various types of connections, the TV is used as an external display, which is intended for watching movies, games or surfing the Internet, it is possible to read a book or play music, video, transfer files.
There are also special programs for smartphones . Using applications, controlling the TV becomes more convenient. A large number of such applications are presented just for the Android OS. In addition, some registered manufacturers are specifically developing applications for their line of technology. The software includes unique functions that offer the user maximum interaction between the phone and the TV.
Using the management application, you can enable the function of watching TV on a mobile screen. The program allows you to switch channels, select the desired transmission. Some developers create software for a more advanced user. Using a special application, watching your favorite channels is possible even away from the television. You should be aware that the use of such programs is possible through a Wi-Fi connection.
Modern technology allows you to transfer files from a smartphone to a TV. You can transfer videos or photos to a TV receiver using ES-Explorer. If there is no program on the TV, you can download it.
On Smart models, you can download the program, for example, in Google Play, the App Store.
The name of the program store depends on the model of the TV receiver. After the program is downloaded and installed, it must be started. Then you need to go to the "Sender" section and give a name to the device. If you open the "Receiving" section, you can see a window with the inscription "Waiting for the sender" and its name.
Then on the smartphone opens ES-Explorer, where they select the files to send. Several files can be checked. Then you need to click the "Submit" button. On the TV, select the “Receive” section. In this window you can see the received files. All these actions are carried out via a wireless Wi-Fi connection or via a USB cable.
When connecting a smartphone, users may encounter some problems. It is worth considering a number of possible problems.
- Games, applications, videos are not played. Such problems are possible via USB connection. This connection option does not support the ability to display games and applications on a large screen. A possible reason may also be the file type. The television receiver simply does not support the given formats. If the devices are still compatible, then you should carefully check the connection settings.
- Image freezes when connected via Miracast. Video or image transmission affects network speed. Therefore, for a better signal, it is necessary that the devices are as close to each other as possible.
- No sound when connecting HDMI. To fix the problem, go to the TV settings and select HDMI as the audio source.
- The TV receiver does not see the phone. There can be many reasons: from incompatibility of paired devices to a damaged cable or lack of an Internet connection.
Connection in any way may not happen the first time. If everything is correctly connected, and the necessary functions are supported by the devices, then you need to try to connect again. After several attempts, it is possible to achieve the desired result.
Sound quality and signal transmission speed depends on the device connection option. With some types of connection, the picture may slow down or freeze. A possible reason may be the use of adapters with cables, which significantly degrades image quality. And also data transmission using Miracast also transmits a picture of not the best resolution.
This article describes the best options for connecting Android smartphones to a TV. There may be minor issues while pairing devices. Troubleshoot help with expert advice. But you must remember that for proper pairing you need to consider the compatibility of devices.
See how to connect the phone to the TV via the MHL adapter.