Floor air conditioners without a duct are a “lite” version of traditional split systems and are rapidly gaining popularity. Unlike stationary analogs requiring professional installation, these portable devices are very easy to operate, efficient to use and do not require large financial investments.
Features and principle of operation
Floor air conditioners that do not have ducts are considered a fairly popular type of home climate equipment. This is due to the deterioration of the well-being of people during the heat and the need to create comfortable conditions in the room. Mobile air conditioners effectively cope with this problem, creating a favorable microclimate and maintaining it for a long time.
A floor-mounted air conditioner without duct is a portable medium-sized device that can easily be moved to the right place. Installation of such systems does not require violation of the integrity of the partitions and walls, as well as the installation of a massive block on the facade of the building. This becomes possible due to the fact that the compressor of the device is already integrated in its housing and forms a single monoblock with it. In order to start the unit, just plug it into a power outlet and set the necessary parameters.
The principle of operation of a floor air conditioner without duct is based on the evaporation of liquid. The device is equipped with a capacious reservoir and a porous filter, which has high hygroscopic properties , that is, it absorbs and retains water well. A compact pump delivers water from the tank to it, and a built-in fan blows it with a powerful jet of air. As a result, moisture evaporated from the filter surface absorbs a sufficient amount of heat, making room air cool.
The cooling efficiency largely depends on the humidity level in the room - the higher it is, the less intensive the evaporation from the filter occurs, and the slower the air cooling. To avoid such an effect, it is necessary to regularly ventilate the room, or use a model with a drainage function . In this regard, the use of devices without corrugation in the basement and dead spaces is not recommended. At the same time, the use of floor air conditioners is advisable in rooms with an area of not more than 25-30 m2.
Floor models consume a small amount of electricity, which compares favorably with their stationary counterparts. On many units, the thermal power is indicated not in kilowatts, but in units of the British system of calculation - BTU / h. Most devices on the market have a heat output of 7,000 to 24,000 BTU / h, where 1 BTU / h corresponds to 0.293 W. Unlike classic air conditioners, mobile models are more sensitive to environmental conditions, therefore, the amount of electricity consumed per hour depends on external factors: weather conditions outside the window, size of the room, number of people in it, presence of heat sources in the room, design features of the housing (quantity windows and doors).
Knowing the power of the device, you can make simple calculations and find out how much it will cost to operate for a month. For example, if the device consumes 0.5 kW and works for 8 hours a day, then it will consume 4 kW, which in monetary terms is about 16 rubles. Thus, in a month his work will cost about 500 rubles.
Many models of floor standing appliances can be used not only for cooling, but also for space heating. However, the heating mode can only be turned on if the air temperature in the street does not fall below zero.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like any other type of climatic equipment, floor air conditioners without ducts have their strengths and weaknesses.
The positive aspects of these compact but effective models are discussed below.
- The most important advantage of floor units is called the gradual cooling of the room temperature to a comfortable + 23 degrees Celsius, which is accompanied by a gradual normalization of humidity. It is impossible to catch a cold next to such a device. This distinguishes floor models from stationary models, contributing to their greater popularization.
- Air conditioners are very easy to operate, which does not cause difficulties for either children or the elderly. The latest models are equipped with a remote control, while earlier models have a button panel located directly on the case.
- Thanks to the use of ordinary tap water as a refrigerant, floor models are completely environmentally friendly and are suitable for people suffering from allergic diseases.
- Portable air conditioners work quite quietly, which allows them to be installed in bedrooms and children's rooms, without fear of disturbing the sleep of households.
- Most models are equipped with small wheels that facilitate the movement of the device around the room and make it easy to change the installation location.
- Many modern samples are equipped with a set of options, which allows them to be used as a heater, fan and ionizer. Moreover, on some models there is an ice container, which makes it possible to significantly reduce the time required to lower the temperature. Such devices are able to cool the room by an average of 5 degrees in half an hour.
- Mobile air conditioners are much cheaper than traditional models and consume much less electricity.
The disadvantages of floor units without a duct include a lower efficiency in comparison with stationary split systems, the need for constant monitoring of the water level in the tank and the inability to use it effectively in rooms over 30 m2. In addition, appliances that are not equipped with an ice container cool the room for quite some time . However, this point is considered by many users as a blessing, since a too rapid drop in temperature will inevitably lead to a cold.
Another significant drawback of floor models is their ability to significantly moisten the room during their work. This requires regular ventilation of the room, otherwise the appearance of mold and mildew is ensured.
For this reason, floor samples should not be installed in humid rooms, such as bathrooms and showers, or used in closed, unventilated rooms such as storage rooms and basements.
Rating of the best models
The modern market for HVAC equipment presents floor air conditioners without a duct in a wide range.
Among domestic samples, the Kibor 30 unit manufactured by the company of the same name should be noted . The device has a high cooling capacity, which is provided by an air flow of up to 1300 m3 / h. This is made possible through the use of the latest twin turbocharged tangential supercharger. The device is equipped with a built-in heater, so it is suitable not only for cooling the room, but also for heating it. The model has two heating modes - 1150 and 2100 W, it is able to increase the temperature in the room by 5-10 degrees compared to the original.
Due to the installation of a large water tank, the volume of which is 10 l, the air conditioner can be operated in rather large rooms with an area of up to 30 m2. The device is equipped with an ionization function designed for refreshing and antibacterial treatment of indoor air. The air conditioner kit includes a remote control, the range of which reaches 6 m. Among the options you can note the presence of a sound reminder, a memory function and a timer that allows you to program the device to turn off automatically. The model is characterized by low power consumption in cooling mode, which is only 130 watts, and can operate in three modes. The device operates on a 220-240 V network, weighs 10.2 kg, is available in dimensions of 37.2x36.4x82.8 cm and costs 19900 rubles.
No less popular Chinese model Ballu BPAC-07 CM has a cooling capacity of 2.05 kW , while consuming 0.78 kW, and is perfect for home, cottage, commercial premises or office. The device is characterized by a low noise level of 45 dB, in addition to heating and cooling the air, it provides its filtering and purification. The device is designed to work in rooms of no more than 20 m2, is available in sizes 27x69.5x48 cm and weighs 25 kg.
Of the options, it should be noted the function of adjusting the fan speed, which allows you to adjust the power of its operation, as well as the ability of the air conditioner to work not only for cooling, but also for drainage. Moreover, the model is equipped with a washing filter, high-quality LCD-display and electronic thermostat . The warranty for air conditioning is 2 years, the cost is from 13500 to 16800 rubles, depending on the supplier.
The mobile model of the Swedish brand Timberk AC TIM 9H P4 is made in China and has mechanical control. The device is used for cooling, heating and drainage of room air in rooms up to 26 m2. To reduce the noise load, the air conditioner case is equipped with a 1 cm thick soundproof layer, and the quick heating / cooling technology helps to change the air temperature in a matter of minutes.
The heat flux power corresponds to 9 BTU, the air productivity is 360 m3 / h. The air conditioner is available in dimensions of 30x45.5x63 cm and weighs 23 kg. The model is equipped with rotating wheels, thanks to which it can be easily moved to the right place. The model has the function of automatic evaporation of condensate, is equipped with a highly efficient Tes compressor and consumes very little electricity. The cost of the device is 17100 rubles.
The portable American model Honeywell ES800 is a lightweight and compact device that can operate in cooling, humidification, cleaning and ventilation modes. Parameters are set using the remote control equipped with on / off buttons, a timer, a blower speed controller and a thermostat control key. The device is designed for rooms of no more than 20 m2, has a noise level of 9 to 55 dB depending on the selected mode and is able to lower the air temperature in the room in just 15 minutes. The model is equipped with an 8-liter water tank, equipped with cellular honeycomb and carbon filters for air purification, low energy consumption (36-70 W). Such an air conditioner costs 19900 rubles.
The budget model from the Indian manufacturer Symphony Diet 8i is designed for home use and is effective in small rooms up to 18 m2. The power of the device is 125 W, and the volume of the water tank is 5.5 liters. The air conditioner is equipped with a remote control, has a digital touch control panel and works very quietly. In addition, it practically does not take up space in the room, consumes little energy and consumes water economically. The model is equipped with automatic blinds and rotating wheels for convenient movement around the apartment. The range of the air-cooling flow is 7.5 m. The device is available in dimensions of 30x33x73 cm, operates on a voltage of 220-230 V and costs 11,600 rubles.
When choosing an air conditioner without an air duct , a number of important points must be considered.
- The power of the device must strictly correspond to the size of the room for which it is purchased. Otherwise, the operation of the unit will be ineffective and the room will not be cooled properly.
- Noise load is also an important parameter. If the device is bought for a children's room or bedroom, it is better to choose models with several noise modes or the Sleep function.
- The functionality of the device must also be taken into account. Many models, along with the main function - cooling the air, are able to purify, ionize and heat it. Therefore, the purchase of one multifunctional device eliminates the need to purchase several units.
- It is better to choose air conditioners with an insulated water tank or with an ice container. This significantly speeds up the process of cooling the room and increases its efficiency.
- It is advisable to purchase the products of well-known companies that have been engaged in the production of HVAC equipment for several years and value their reputation. These include Samsung, Electrolux, Ballu, Honeywell, Kibor and other companies well-known in the world market.
How to use?
The rules for operating air conditioners without an air duct are very simple. The device is sold ready-to-use and only needs to be screwed on. To do this, it is placed on a flat surface, the rollers are installed in the nests and fixed. Then open the water container and fill it in accordance with the declared volume to the maximum mark (MAX). In the future, make sure that the water level does not fall below the minimum mark, and ideally - is in the middle between the MAX and MIN marks. This completes the preparation of the air conditioner, and the device can be put into operation. To do this, plug the plug into a 220 V power outlet, and turn on the start button on the panel or remote control. After that, the indicator should light up, which indicates the readiness of the device for operation.
In order for the air conditioner to work long and safe, you must adhere to some rules.
- It is forbidden to open and repair the device yourself. In the event of a breakdown, contact a service center.
- Operation of air conditioners without a pipe leading to the street is unacceptable in a humid room.
- In case of accidental tipping of water onto the device body, it is necessary to immediately unplug the plug from the socket and dry the unit. In addition, the unit must be unplugged if not in use.
- Installing air conditioners near sources of open fire, as well as in close proximity to heating appliances, is prohibited.
- During operation, the air conditioner should be located strictly on a horizontal surface, since the inclination of the housing can cause water to overflow over the edge of the tank.
- During operation, the unit must never be covered with paper, cardboard, cloth or other heavy materials. The ventilation openings must always be open. Otherwise, the appliance may overheat and ignite.
- It is forbidden to place various objects on the air conditioner, as well as shake and turn it over. If the case is dirty, wash with a soft sponge and liquid detergent. The use of gasoline, toluene and other aggressive substances is strictly prohibited.
- For unhindered air flow to the air conditioner, its installation must be carried out no closer than 15 cm from the wall and furniture.
- If it is not planned to use the air conditioner in the near future, it is necessary to drain the water from the tank and wipe it dry.
- A couple of times a month it is recommended to drain the water from the container and clean it of sediment and plaque.
- It is forbidden to use the device with a damaged plug or wire, and also to use it for other purposes.
- If there are small children in the house, you cannot leave them alone with the device turned on.
- Keep the air conditioner in a cool, dry place, away from sunlight and direct sources of heat.
According to most owners, air conditioning without a duct is a good invention and can effectively cool the room in hot weather. Consumers note the mobility and low weight of the models, which allows you to take them with you to the office and to the country. In addition, many are attracted by the lack of the need for complex installation, regular maintenance and expensive repairs, as well as the relatively low price.
However, along with numerous positive reviews, there are also negative ones . So, many users are unanimous in the opinion that floor models are significantly less efficient than stationary air conditioners and cannot provide proper cooling in extreme heat. However, this claim takes place mainly where people used low-power models designed for a small quadrature and installed them in more spacious rooms.
Another drawback of some models is called too cold a stream of outgoing air , which does not allow, for example, letting a small child to the floor or, in general, being in the same room with air conditioning. Many mothers write that they are forced to first cool the room, turn off the device, and only then start the baby. There is also a too high noise level of some devices, even in the Sleep mode. Young mothers who cannot lull children to the noise of the air conditioner also complain about this.
In general, people are happy with their purchase, they believe that the units are fully consistent with their price . And although you do not have to wait for the capabilities of stationary air conditioners from them, they can do perfectly with the cooling of small areas, as well as with heating, purification and ionization of air.
Even more interesting and useful information about floor air conditioners without duct in the video.