When choosing certain building materials for repair work, experts recommend relying on those that are fireproof and reliable. One of the best examples of such materials is fire-resistant drywall, which has the ability to withstand the effects of high temperatures. Many consumers doubt the quality of the gypsum board material at relatively high temperatures, but first you need to familiarize yourself with the main distinguishing features of a fire-resistant gypsum board product and conventional gypsum board.
What it is?
Fireproof drywall is a special material that includes components such as cardboard and gypsum. This material is additionally processed with a special special substance (flame retardant).
Due to the properties included in the composition of the materials, drywall can withstand up to 60 minutes of open fire , preventing smoke from spreading and preventing further burning. Refractory drywall in its design has crystallized water (1%), which, during combustion, inhibits the further spread of fire for a long time.
A distinctive feature of fire-resistant drywall from its moisture-resistant version is the color of the material - in the first it can be red or pink.
Plasterboard materials are called fireproof, because the material is made by compressing the elements as much as possible, as a result of which air does not penetrate the structure. The combustion process is impossible without the free access of oxygen, and if there is none, then the fire will cease to spread.
The use of GKLO has several advantages:
- Fireproof drywall can be used in any room. The material is made from environmentally friendly products, therefore it is often used in children's rooms, educational institutions, hospitals.
- Moisture-resistant GCR has high fire resistance due to crystallized water in the composition.
- The composition of the material includes clay, which contributes to excellent sound insulation and thermal insulation.
- Unlike identical analogues of such a material, drywall will last 5 years longer.
- An accelerated surface leveling process is provided.
- The building material is easily cut and bent, which allows you to achieve the desired size and shape of the plate.
Despite all the advantages of non-combustible drywall, this material has some negative aspects:
- Weak strength indicator. Any minor loads lead to deformation of the building material. Installation of fasteners (nail, self-tapping screw, hanger) requires additional measures for strengthening.
- For painting drywall, special coloring products and putties will be required. To cover such surfaces with wallpapers of light shades (beige, white), it will take a lot of effort to cover the pink color of drywall.
- High price of products. The cost of a refractory drywall product is twice the cost of a conventional drywall. However, family safety is probably more important for each person than the opportunity to save.
GKLO reaction to fire
Heat-resistant drywall withstands exposure to an open flame for a certain time, depending on the type of material. When the time limit is reached, the drywall is destroyed. The GKLO system has a core in the form of fiberglass (filaments from 4 mm to 3 cm long), in addition to protection against fire are inclusions of clay and crystallized water. It is thanks to these components that drywall can resist burning for a long time.
After the time limit has passed, the gypsum plasterboard shell begins to burn, and the core begins to crack, but during this period of time, measures can be taken to prevent the spread of fire. Basically, these minutes are not enough for the fire services to get to the source of ignition.
Types and designation
In the construction market, you can find several varieties of gypsum boards that have fire-fighting qualities.
- GCR - ordinary plasterboard sheets.
- GKLVO - moisture resistant fireproof gypsum plasterboard sheets. They are used for finishing work in industrial premises, in which high air humidity prevails and high fire safety requirements are established. The color of this material is green with a red marking;
- GKLO - fire-resistant gypsum plasterboards with high resistance to open fire due to the reinforcing components that are part of the composition. GKLO is able to withstand up to 20 minutes of contact with open fire. The color of this material is gray (beige) with a red marking.
Comparison table of varieties of fire-resistant plasterboard materials.
Plasterboard sheets differ in the bordering model:
- PC - direct;
- UK - sophisticated;
- PLC - semicircular from the front;
- Pluk - semicircular and sophisticated;
- ZK - rounded shape.
The fire-resistant model of the GKL middle sheet has approximately the following technical characteristics:
- The standardized value is 2500x1200x12.5;
- Weight - 30 kg;
- Density - 850 kg / m3;
- Flammability discharge - G1 (fireproof);
- Flammability - B1 (fireproof);
- Toxicity - T1 (harmless);
- Heat conductivity - 0.22 W / Mk;
- Thickness - 6.5, 9.5, 12.5, 14, 15, 16 mm;
- Width varies from 0.5 to 1.3 m;
- Length - up to 5 m.
How to choose the right one?
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of drywall products, it is strongly recommended that the product kit has a quality certificate that should contain certain fire safety indicators:
- D1 - smoke formation;
- B3 - flammability;
- G1 - flammability;
- T1 - toxin content.
It is also worth paying attention to such features of plasterboard material:
- appearance - the sheets should be perfectly flat and without mechanical damage (cracks, scratches, bends);
- product labeling - on the back of the product should be a label describing the manufacturer, size, model, GOST;
- storage conditions - it is necessary to make sure that storage was carried out correctly (at an air temperature of at least 10 degrees).
Scope of application
The use of fire-resistant drywall is common for the following types of work:
- facing work in rooms with high and non-standardized temperature conditions (pool, boiler room, boiler room);
- children's rooms and hospitals;
- the creation of wall partitions in educational institutions;
- Finishing work in rooms, the design of which is made of wood;
- sheathing of fireplaces and ventilation systems - heat-resistant drywall can be used not only as a means of protection, but also for decorating rooms.
Drywall manufacturers offer a wide range of drywall constructions. The German manufacturer Knauf is very popular. 70% of consumers in Russia prefer this particular brand.
Knauf has more than 10 of its own plants throughout Russia. Positive customer reviews are based on the fact that the material is made with high technology. The main parameters of Knauf fire-resistant drywall are a high fire resistance and a relatively small mass of material. Heat-resistant drywall counteracts open fire for 50-60 minutes.
- accelerated installation process;
- additional GCR treatments are not required;
- installation work is done without dirt;
- the material allows the walls underneath to breathe;
- the thermal conductivity of drywall is higher than that of other similar building materials;
- the high strength of the product allows you to mount such special material even on surfaces exposed to external mechanical damage;
- reasonable price of products.
- to create complex geometric shapes from KNAUF gypsum plasterboard will require a lot of effort and additional tools;
- the price difference between Knauf products and similar materials is 15-20%.
10% of the population use plasterboard products from manufacturers of the brands Rigips, Lafarge, Giproc. Another 20% of buyers respond positively to domestic manufacturers, namely, the Magma and Volma companies.
Magma products are the winner in the category of price-quality ratio. Heat-resistant drywall has high class A parameters. The fire resistance is about 45 minutes. Many manufacturers provide the opportunity to order non-standard fire-resistant drywall.
Volma drywall sheets have been produced by the Russian manufacturer for more than 10 years. Refractory sheets are made according to technology that meets all fire safety standards. The technical and operational qualities of GKLO of this nonsense are not inferior to foreign counterparts, as a result of which the great demand of buyers seems quite justified.
- thanks to the robust and flexible construction of GKLO, it is possible to carry out finishing work of complex shape (arch);
- in comparison with the prices for Knauf Volma products - 30% cheaper, which saves on surface finishes;
- The quality of the refined edge of the sheet allows you to cut the material evenly and without crumbling.
- does not have marking lines, which complicates the process of aligning sheets during installation;
- sheets are characterized by a small undulation.
- To enhance the fire resistance effect, you can mount two layers of drywall or install GKLO on steel frames. When installing two layers of drywall, the laying step between the profiles must be reduced.
- Experts do not recommend installing fire-resistant material on a wooden frame, because wooden coatings burn very well. For installation, it is better to use metal profiles.
- When installing heat-resistant drywall over electrical wiring, it is imperative to perform additional cable insulation.
- Installation of partitions is carried out in such a way that there are no gaps, otherwise sound insulation will be insufficient.
- The amount of fire-resistant drywall purchased is calculated with a margin of 10%.
The use of refractory plasterboard sheets really increases the fire safety of the living room. GKLO can also control the humidity in the room due to the fact that this material has the ability to absorb excess moisture. If the air in the room has become dry, then the reverse process occurs - the release of moisture into the airspace. We can say that the installation of drywall helps to normalize the indoor climate.
In the next video you will see the test of fire resistance of drywall.