Pelargonium is a genus of plants belonging to the Geranium family. You can often hear that pelargonium is called geranium, in the early classifications both of these plants were called. Geranium also belongs to the Geraniev family, but outwardly it is completely dissimilar flowers, they are similar only in the form of boxes with seeds that look like the beaks of storks or cranes ("pelargos" in Greek means stork, and "geranos" means crane) . The fact that these are different plants is also evidenced by the fact that they cannot be crossed with each other.
What it is?
Pelargonium grows in South Africa and belongs to herbaceous perennials or shrubs. It has straight, creeping or branching stems. Her leaves are simple, palmate or palmately dissected. Flowers are represented by various colors and inflorescences in the form of umbrellas. Pelargonium fruit - a box that can be opened in a special way: from the lower edge to the upper
What does it look like?
In the modern classification of pelargonium, several main groups are distinguished. The most common of them is zonal or garden pelargonium . It belongs to it sort of pelargonium "Maverick" (Maverick). It also belongs to the group of grandiflora (plants with large flowers) and grows in height to 35-45 centimeters.
The leaves are small, rounded, green, some have a darkish ring around the edge of the leaf. Large flowers have a diameter of 4 centimeters and all kinds of color palette: they can be white, cream, pink, coral, red, violet, and also consist of several shades of flowers.
"Maverick" is extremely popular among gardeners due to the spectacular flowering. The most famous hybrids of this variety include the following pelargonium.
- "Maverick" is pink and white. Strongly branching plant up to 30 centimeters high. Flowers located on low peduncles have a delicate white-pink color, large leaves, dark green. This pelargonium blooms early and blooms for a very long time. Used for planting in pots, flowerpots, balcony drawers.
For better branching, it is recommended to pinch the seedlings over 5-6 leaves.
- "Maverick" is purple . A branching plant about 30-40 centimeters high with small emerald green leaves. The flowers are large, have a deep red color. After planting in the soil, it blooms very quickly, flowering continues until the first frost. It looks spectacular in the flower garden, but it looks just as good, lit by the sun, in a pot or in a drawer.
- "Maverick is old." Pelargonium with beautiful pale pink petals and a bright eye of pink color. Plant height - 35-40 centimeters. The flowers are located on long peduncles and are hemispherical umbrellas with an inflorescence diameter of about 15 centimeters. The leaves are saturated green. It is recommended to grow in pots with a diameter of 12-14 centimeters.
- "Maverick Violet." Strongly branching bush up to 40 centimeters in height, with green leaves having a characteristic bronze ring. The flowers are simple, have a raspberry-violet hue. This pelargonium looks very nice on the windowsill, but is also suitable for growing outdoors in the warm season. Due to long flowering, it retains its decorative effect for a long time.
- "Maverick Orange." This pelargonium has large flowers of a sunny red-orange hue with a bright eye. The leaves are green, with a pattern in the form of a darkish ring. The bush grows to 35-40 centimeters in height. Suitable for growing both in the home and for planting on flower beds, in flowerpots and containers.
- "Maverick Scarlet Picoti . " A bright plant with large inflorescences of pink-red color and a red border on the edge of the petals. Flowers reach 9-11 centimeters in diameter. Has decorative green leaves with wavy edges. Height - up to 40 centimeters, does not need pinching.
It grows well in bright places, but without direct sun - both in the house and on the street.
- "Maverick mix" (mixture). Represents a series of early flowering pelargoniums of bright colors. They form many low peduncles with large inflorescences. The height of the plants is about 35-40 centimeters. For one sowing, you can get several plants with differently colored flowers at once, which will look perfect both in pots on a sunny windowsill, and delight you with their variegated palette in a flower garden in the fresh air.
Pelargoniums "Maverick" are ideal for decorating home spaces and decorating the garden in the summer. In flower beds, these flowers are good not only as separate plants, but also in combination with petunias, marigolds, marigold, lobelia.
Pelargonium is a plant that is easy to care for and can please you with its bright colors for a very long time.
About the features of growing pelargonium "Maverick" see in the next video.