A bed is not only a sleeping place, but also a “repository” of things (bedding, children's toys or other popular household items), which is located under it. To ensure full access to this place, you have to lift a mattress, which, incidentally, is not always easy. For this purpose, a gas lift device was developed that can facilitate the function of the transformation of the sleeping bed.
What is it?
So, we will understand the very concept of "gas lift". A gas elevator is called a mechanism that plays the role of a lift of the elements fixed to it. Visually, this design is as follows: it somewhat resembles a car shock absorber and consists of a cylinder, clamps and a running shoulder.
The following items are distinguished from the distinctive features of gas lift:
- The gas lift device can be compressed by applying a certain force.
- The operating temperature range of the lifting device varies from -30 to +80 degrees Celsius. The exit of the working area from this interval by 10 degrees entails a 3% decrease in gas lift operability.
- It is important to correctly install the gas lift, otherwise the failure of the lifting mechanism is guaranteed.
- The movement of the rod is limited by the maximum possible speed - 300 mm / s. Cylindrical pressure reaches a maximum value of 160 bar.
Advantages of beds using this mechanism:
- Practicality. Beds with a lifting mechanism are equipped with a storage space.
- Strength. Gas lifts provide longer lifespan for sleeping furniture compared to other lifting devices.
- Reduce the burden for humans.
- Simplicity of operation. In order to start the mechanism in action does not require much effort. A child can handle the mechanism.
- Noiseless operation of the device.
- The liquid nitrogen used in the shock absorbers is completely safe for metal and rubber gaskets.
- Reliability. You are unlikely to have to change the gas lift over the entire life of the bed. Such a mechanism is designed for more than 20 thousand operations of lifting and lowering.
- Safe design. The casing protects all structural elements from access to them, so the likelihood of injury is very small.
- No dust and moisture under the base. During operation, the snug fit of the frame to the base ensures minimal accumulation of dust particles.
- Alternative to choice. There is always the opportunity to buy the version of furniture with a lifting mechanism that is right for you.
- Saving finance. You can not buy part of the additional furniture paraphernalia - there is enough space under the bed for bedding and other necessary things. Plus, there are simply no additional investments in this furniture at the entire operation stage.
- The advantage of gas lift over other mechanisms. Firstly, this mechanism is quite durable. The fittings are strong, while the retractable elements quickly fail. Secondly, when rolling out, in some cases it will be necessary to free up space for boxes.
Negative aspects of using this device in beds:
- Lack of aesthetics. Some models of beds are made in such a way that the gas lift is visible at the head of the bed.
- Poor quality materials used in the production of such a mechanism, in most cases, after a while become unusable. But to determine the quality of parts when buying in some cases is impossible.
- The high cost of a bed with such a device.
There are only two categories of such devices. They are:
- Automatic. The principle of operation of such a mechanism is quite simple: in the process of raising the bed, gas expands, which begins to put pressure on the piston. That, in turn, presses on the square, forcing the structure to move up. To activate braking, an oiled pad helps to make this process remain smooth.
- Frictional. The difference between this design of a gas lift for a bed from the previous one: the absence of a damping process. The gas pressure in this design is underestimated, which allows the bed user to stop the lifting process in any position. This approach is almost never encountered, since it is not in special demand.
How to choose?
It is possible that a person has already bought a bed, and does not know which gas lift to put on it.
Then our recommendations on the selection of this device may come to the rescue:
- We calculate the weight of the bed: the average design of a single bed is about 30 kilograms, we find out the weight of the mattress from the supplier - orthopedic, for example, it weighs about 40 kilograms. Total: 70 kilograms.
- Determine by marking the gas elevator which device is suitable for us. The gas lift passport shows the numbers in Newtons. Equate 1 kilogram to 10 Newtons. The best option in this case is the choice of two elements of 800 Newton each.
It turns out that our selected mechanisms will be able to raise 160 kilograms.
However, this is not true, since the force is distributed under a certain angular component, and with time the mechanism may weaken. In some cases, you should not look at the manufacturer's recommendations, as he offers a stock much more than it can turn out. From this, the structure itself will be closed, which is unacceptable. In addition, to raise it later, incredible efforts will be required.
Lift mechanism replacement
The mechanism may stop working for many reasons: wear of the elements, seizing, etc.
The following are successive points for replacing the lift mechanism:
- We sort the berth. First of all, the elements are mounted on the furniture body, and then on the base.
- If there are seats for fastening, we fit fasteners on these holes.
- The shock absorbers are mounted upwards by cylinders.
- Assembly of the structure.
How to install?
Installing such a lifting device is quite simple. To assemble it correctly, you must follow our recommendations.
The following are the steps for such an assembly:
- First you need to make 3-4 holes for fasteners on the box with a drill.
- We fix the bottom of the device with bolts.
- We attach a corner of the lifting mechanism to this construct.
- It is necessary to lower the base into the frame. We drill 3-4 holes on all sides, while taking into account the position of the lower bar.
- We leave a gap of 5-10 mm between the box and the frame, then tighten the bolts on the upper structure.
- We connect everything together with the help of pistons, fixing them on the upper and lower parts of the device.
The gas lift installation process is described below.
Before installing the system on furniture, it is necessary to check the prefab. He should not perform spontaneous lowering himself, as well as creak or jam during the lifting process.
We suggest readers of the article to familiarize themselves with the following tips that will be useful when purchasing a bed with a gas lift:
- Pay attention to the manufacturer. We do not recommend purchasing a bed in which a Chinese analogue of the device is installed. Preference is best given to firms from Germany, Italy, Russia, Turkey and Taiwan. Today, for example, the products of Suspa (Germany) stand out.
- As we said earlier, the gas shock absorber hardware is visible from some angles. Therefore, for aesthetics, the best option is to purchase a sleeping bed with a color shade close to the furniture frame.
- Compare the gas shock load with all parameters. Check the passport for this device.
- Do not trust advertising. Often manufacturers use a variety of tricks to attract customers: discounts, bonuses, etc. Make your choice based on customer reviews that have already purchased your favorite model of furniture with gas lift.
- The height of the bed. For kids, a bed too high with a lifting mechanism is not convenient to use.
- Pay attention to the presence of a tie for the box. Buy a model so that the laundry box in it is divided into compartments.