The modern market of heat-insulating building materials offers customers a wide range of products. The leading position among them is expanded polystyrene. It can be of several types, depending on the manufacturing method and composition of the raw material. PSB-S 25 expanded polystyrene is considered the most popular.
The principal feature of the production of expanded polystyrene is the action of steam on polystyrene granules enriched with gas and placed in suspension. In this case, a multiple increase in particles is observed, which is accompanied by their displacement from the mold and sintering among themselves. In this way, a granular mass is formed, the bulk component of which is mainly gas.
This structure and composition of the material directly affects its heat and sound insulation characteristics.
Technical characteristics of expanded polystyrene correspond to GOST 15588-86. The normative document decodes the abbreviation of the product, where:
- PSB stands for production method;
- C indicates the presence in the composition of flame retardants that improve fire performance;
- The number 25 indicates the density per 1 m3.
PSB-25 expanded polystyrene has several advantageous characteristics over other materials. It is worth highlighting the main ones.
- Thermal conductivity. The coefficient varies in the range of 0.038-0.043 W / m-K.
- Vapor permeability. This indicator indicates the removal of moisture from the room through the materials used. In this case, the indicator is 0.05 Mg / (m * h * Pa).
- Water absorption. An indicator characterizing the ability of a material to absorb moisture. Measured as a percentage of volume in 24 hours. PSB-25 has an indicator of not more than 2%.
- The temperature of destruction. The index of destructive (destruction) temperature is 160 degrees. This material belongs to the class of flame-resistant materials and has the ability to self-extinguish.
- Durability. Due to the wide temperature range of destruction, PSB-25 is not significantly affected by destructive external factors. In the event that it is not exposed to direct exposure to ultraviolet rays, interaction with solvents and acid concentrates, the service life is at least 80 years.
- Good compressive strength and high flexural strength. These values for PSB-25 are 160 and 250 kPa.
- Environmental friendliness and hygiene. This material is widely used to create food packaging.
Dimensions PSB-S 25 are prescribed in GOST. It is available in the form of plates, the standard value of the length of which is from 900 to 5000 mm. At the same time, the indicator of width varies in the range from 500 to 1300 mm, thickness - from 20 to 500 mm.
Manufacturers indicate the dimensional characteristics of PSB-S 25 in the following format: 1200x1000x60 mm, where:
- 1200 and 1000 are the length and width of the sheet;
- 60 mm is its thickness.
The indisputable advantages of polystyrene include the low cost relative to similar materials with a higher density, as well as ease of installation. It is known that the use of additional equipment and tools significantly increases the cost of finished objects. Polystyrene is lightweight and does not require the use of a crane when climbing to the floor. It can be cut with an ordinary knife, while the sheet is quite simple to give the desired shape.
The disadvantages of PSB-S 25 include its flammability, despite the rapid attenuation, as well as brittleness during operation.
Scope of application
The advantages of polystyrene, its physical properties allow the productive use of this material in various fields. Expanded polystyrene is used for insulation of roofs, attics, floors, walls. Due to the high strength indicators PSB-S 25 perfectly withstands the load from the roof, directly resting on the slab.
It is used to create heat and sound insulation of buildings.
PSB-S 25 polystyrene foam is also used as the middle layer in the production of sandwich panels. They are insulated with water pipes from freezing, used for packaging. For external thermal insulation of facades, an analogue with the marking PSB-S 25 F. is better suited. It is designed specifically for outdoor work, followed by plastering and painting the walls. This material is suitable for figured cutting, creating volumetric facades.
The financial benefits of using PSB-S 25 polystyrene are obvious. It allows you to reduce the cost of heating buildings, to create an effective and durable thermal insulation system.
In buildings insulated with polystyrene, the most comfortable living and working conditions are created.
PPS-25, like PSB-S 25 (M25), is used for insulation. The difference is that the denser and more durable PPS-25 is better suited for use in places with significant loads (such as parking lots for cars, underground playgrounds, lawns, sports fields, ice rinks). PPS-25 is also used for waterproofing underground utilities. It can easily be replaced by PSB-S 35 without compromising the technical characteristics of the work performed.
For more details on the technical properties and scope of PSB-S 25, see the next video.