Double-leaf interior doors become a fashionable design technique for decorating a room. A skillfully selected model will be the highlight of the interior of any apartment, if it has a doorway of more than 1 meter. As a rule, the installation of double doors is done in the living room, adding special solemnity and functionality to it. The large doorway is very convenient during the reception of guests, and also means a lot when arranging the room. Usually, through such doors, large items are brought into the living room: a large dining table, a piano, and cupboards.
What it is?
Double doors are two door leaves that overlap one doorway. Each web can function independently of each other. Professionals call the design, which has two door leafs, double-sided, this is its difference from the structure called the single-floor, which has only one leaf. A single-leaf door is usually placed in standard doorways 200x80 cm, which most rooms have. However, unlike ordinary living quarters, halls and living rooms have an extended doorway. The difference in door designs will differ from the usual dimensions in that the doors in this case also select the appropriate sizes.
When designing premises, the width of the doorway depends on the height of the ceilings: increasing in height, they proportionally increase the dimensions of the doorways.
In large rooms, this approach allows you to visually expand the space, provide air circulation, as well as logically combine the rooms into a single whole, avoiding unnecessary association of the public premises with the cabinet system.
The most common size of two-floor structures is one in which the width is not more than 120-130 cm, and the height is in the range from 200 to 230 cm.
Double doors can be different in execution.
Most often, symmetrical structures are used with a pendulum mechanism that opens the door in any direction that will be convenient for you in the direction of travel. There are asymmetric versions of the same design, when one door leaf is smaller than the other in width.
Doors are much less likely to make doors in the “compact” version, which implies the presence of a folding casement mechanism. The essence of this constructive solution is that when you open the door folds in half and is pressed against the wall. The halves of such a door can be of the same size or asymmetrical. This kind of door came to us from Italy, but there is not much demand for them in Russia.
Modern rooms have a wider range of doorways than they were several decades ago, when the width of the swinging double-leaf structure was 130 cm and the height was no more than 200 cm. Now we have moved away from strict standards, and door leafs have become available in other sizes: narrow options can be from 50 to 60 cm wide and large from 70 to 90 cm. In addition, there are asymmetric one and a half modifications, where one leaf will be 40 cm and the other from 60 to 90 cm. When using such doors, they smaller in size the sash is fixed by a special mechanism to the floor and opens only when necessary, and the second wide sash acts as a swing door.
According to the method of manufacturing, interior doors are divided into models assembled from paneled parts and panel boards.
- Panel doors : the main bearing part of such a model is made in the form of a frame with free sections in the form of openings. The entire frame consists of elements that are joined together in a vertical or horizontal position, using tongue-and-groove connecting parts, attached together with glue.
The openings inside the structure are closed with special paneled parts glued from a slice of natural wood. In addition to wood, the empty space is filled with glass and panels of chipboard.
- Panel doors : a frame is made of wide racks, decorative furniture panels from woodworking products, MDF, are mounted on top of it. The voids between the frame and the panel are filled with corrugated cardboard, wooden beams, chipboard. Models can be solid or complemented by glass inserts. Such modifications of door structures are lightweight and have low cost, but they have proven themselves in operation and are quite durable when handled with care.
The selection of material for the production of door structures is determined on the basis of their properties, cost and decorative qualities. An important criterion is their operational stability and durability.
- Solid wood : premium models are mainly made to order from natural wood species: ash, oak, hornbeam, walnut; individual non-standard designs are used. Often they are decorated with a mirror layout, metal inserts, carvings. There are door options where natural wood is used only as the top thin coating of the main structure made of wood products. Such models are called veneered. Visually, they look like their expensive counterparts from solid wood; it can be very difficult to distinguish one model from another;
- Plastic material : a plastic material is applied to the frame with filler - polyvinyl chloride, which imitates various species of natural wood. The strong polymer structure of the material gives it increased resistance to external influences: moisture resistance, sound and thermal insulation. The cost of products is small, so they are in demand for rooms with high humidity and temperature extremes;
- Laminated coating : the structure consists of a wooden frame with a filler, finishing elements are laid on top of it and laminated with a PVC film. Film lamination gives the design shine, brightness, resistance to impact during operation;
- Glass doors : recently, they are increasingly used in the design of door models made of thick tempered high-impact glass. Glass doors look unusual, presentable, create a feeling of spaciousness and light. However, the weight of such doors is quite large, so the door frames require a large margin of safety.
Each design of one or another material has its own advantages and disadvantages that must be considered when choosing. In addition, you need to remember that the material of the door should be in harmony with the overall design of the room and furniture that is planned to be placed there.
The color scheme of the doors should be in harmony with the color of the floor, walls, furniture, while taking into account the general design style.
- Neutral shades : the entire pastel palette, including light tones, white, light beige, light gray, as well as colors imitating light tones of natural wood, are considered the universal basic color scheme used for design in the classical style, Scandinavian, Japanese and Provence style . The same tonality can be applied to baroque and rococo. Doors of this color will add a feeling of warmth, comfort;
- Cold shades : combine all shades of gray, metallic, grass green, blue colors. They are used to equip high-tech, modern, minimalism, eclectic, loft rooms. Today it is the most popular styles and shades of color;
- Dark colors : create a feeling of solidity and quality. The most commonly used colors are wenge, dark walnut, oak, teak, merabu. Used in the styles of hi-tech, minimalism, classic. In order to prevent the room from being oversaturated with dark color, glass, mirrors, metal or contrast inserts are added to the door structure;
- Bright colors : apply saturated bright colors of any shade. Such products are made of plastic materials, and they are used in a children's room, in the kitchen, in domestic premises. Designers believe that the color of such a bright door should resonate with the same color in the interior design to balance the entire composition.
White is considered the most universal and practical color. If you cannot make a choice and are afraid to make a mistake, you need to choose a win-win white color. It does not attract too much attention, creating an atmosphere of cleanliness and comfort in the room.
For different rooms
Doorways are closed with doors in order to separate the rooms from each other. Doors used indoors are divided into certain types, based on their structural structure:
Swing doors they are hinged to the vertical racks of the door frame. This model is considered a classic, installing it where there is enough free space to open the doors. Swing doors are reliable and simple, they are complemented by handles, locks. In wide openings, as a rule, two-door models are installed.
Sliding hinged doors are convenient in that they move along one wall or another along a special guide surface of their web. There may be one or two wings. The design is used in a limited space where it is not possible to install swing doors.
Cassette sliding doors can be used if you build along the wall on both sides of the opening special niches where the opening door leaves will slide. Installation of such a model requires certain skills and dexterity. They find application where it is possible to take a dozen centimeters from a square for niches.
In the case of folding doors, the canvas is folded in half and placed along the wall due to a special folding mechanism installed in the door leaf. This design may consist of one, two or three door panels. This is an intermediate option, between a swing and a sliding door. The model saves space and serves as an original design element.
Swing doors can be single or double doors. A special mechanism extends the door leaf to the middle of the opening, and it can swing open in one direction or another. Doors are used in public places, as they do not have good tightness and require free space.
In pendulum doors, the mechanism provides for the opening of their wings in any direction - outward or inward. This model is convenient for the living room, as it does not impede movement in either direction, especially when table setting occurs.
Rooms with wide doorways framed by double-leaf door designs look modern and attractive. In such a room, even the minimal presence of design looks decent.
In various styles
Modern design allows a wide variety of stylistic interior decoration. Accordingly, the style of the doors should correspond to this style. As an example, consider some styles:
The design of the classic style uses light and pastel shades of material from natural or artificial surfaces for the manufacture of doors. Classicism allows for the construction of natural massifs or paneled models. They look solidly, thoroughly, expensively.
In the colonial style, the colors used are dark, saturated. The texture is rough, the material used for manufacturing is natural or good imitation for a natural massif. Decor details chiseled, symmetrical, richly executed.
For the Empire style, as a rule, white, cream or sand shades are used, used for coloring the door leaf. The decoration is gilding, silvering, elaborate carving, ornament, not only the door itself, but also platbands.
For oriental stylists choose designs of light or dark shades, made openwork, translucent, or with carvings on an array of deaf door leaf. Hexagons, rhombuses, right and sharp corners are used in the ornament.
Art Nouveau materials can be any, but more often they choose inexpensive ones from wood processing products. The surfaces are flat, smooth, without decorations. Colors - from light to dark shades. The only decor is the door handle.
Provence usually takes light shades for the style, there is a lot of glass in the door trim, a simple interweaving of wooden battens, but overall this simplicity looks very interesting and attracts attention, sometimes becoming the center of the whole room design composition.
In the high-tech style, glass, aluminum, plastic models are widely used, their color can be any, the most unexpected. Decoration is allowed arbitrary - mirrors, glass, color inserts, textured plastic, imitation stone.
Each room and its design is unique, and the doors are the part that gives expressiveness to the overall look and connects all the details into a single whole.
How to choose the right one?
The right choice of door is not only the beauty of the interior, but also practicality and functionality. When choosing, the following parameters must be considered:
- determine the internal dimensions of the perimeter of the doorway;
- determine the thickness of the door frame, which will depend on the model of the door and the method of closing it;
- determine the width of platbands and extensions;
- determine whether a threshold will be needed and what size it will have;
- decide which door is suitable for the width of the doorway - double or single floor;
- evaluate the environment and choose a way to open and close doors;
- choose the color and model of the door in accordance with the interior design.
Choosing interior doors, people most of all pay attention to their appearance, forgetting that the design must have certain functionality: noise insulation, reliability of the design, ease of use.
- Soundproofing : the soundproofing level of a door depends on its filling and the exterior finish of the structure. To reduce noise penetration, it is important that the door gaskets fit snugly against the door frame. The most advantageous models are those without glazing, internal voids, and a thickness of at least 40 mm;
- Reliability of construction : the strongest doors are made of solid wood. Cheaper, but reliable counterpart, are the push-button models. This design provides for the presence of transverse bars between the main vertical columns of the structure. The distance between the bars is filled with other materials - metal, glass, paneled inserts;
- Convenience in operation : the most convenient option is the swing doors of the pendulum design. They allow free passage through the doorway in both directions, without worrying about opening or closing doors that return to their original position on their own. This is especially convenient at a time when your hands are busy.
Next, you need to choose a door frame - one of the most important parts in the entire door structure. Boxes are ordinary and telescopic. An ordinary box is a rectangle of wooden beams that is mounted in the doorway. The telescopic system has special grooves around the entire perimeter where the extensions and platbands will be inserted.
The telescopic version is more practical and more convenient to assemble than its usual counterpart.
Extras and platbands are no less significant part in the selection process. Extensions are needed when the width of the wall is larger than the standard box, which has a size of 70 mm. They are produced in widths of 100, 150 and 200 mm in different configurations: with an edge, without machining the end part and telescopic, inserted into the grooves of the box. Platbands are considered a decorative element. They close the junction of the box with the wall, and also visually expand the space of the doorway. Platbands in their shape produce round, flat, teardrop-shaped and curly.
When choosing interior doors, pay attention to the manufacturer. Focus on the quality of brands of world companies or companies of Russia and neighboring countries known for their good reputation. An important parameter that you should pay attention to is the hardware that comes with the design. All of it should be made of durable metal, based on the weight of the door leaf. It is impossible to bend a single one with high-quality fittings by hand.
According to the price range, door structures can be divided into three groups:
- from 2000 to 5000 rubles - a budget option from inexpensive, but high-quality materials;
- from 5,000 to 35,000 rubles - the average price segment of high-quality materials with a rich variety of finishing parts and accessories;
- from 35,000 rubles and above - a premium class made from a natural array of furniture wood species.
On any websites of large furniture companies now there are special calculators that help determine the dimensions of the door with accessories for it, for a given parameter of the width and height of the doorway.
If you want to order a unique model, it is best for this purpose to first call a measurer and designer to your home.
The installation of interior doors can be done independently, if you have the skills of carpentry, or entrust this responsible business to a knowledgeable specialist. Installation steps are as follows:
- The door frame can be originally assembled, or consist of individual parts that need to be assembled into a single structure. You can collect two vertical crossbars with a perpendicular at an angle of 45 or 90 degrees;
- Loop assembly. On the interior doors of light materials put on two hinges - above and below. Heavy doors made of solid wood will hold double sets of hinges, placed evenly along the vertical part of the box. First, the hinges are attached to the door leaf, and only then they are fixed in one box;
- The assembled box is installed in the doorway, but without the door leaf. The verticality of the structure relative to the wall is checked using a level or plumb line. Between the box and the wall leave a gap of 15 mm;
- After the position of the box is verified, it can be secured with mounting wedges, which are placed first above the lintel and then evenly along the entire length of the vertical posts;
- The box is fixed to the wall using mounting plates or screws. The self-tapping hats should be well recessed into the box material so as not to interfere with the further installation of the hinges;
- Foam mounting foam between the box and the wall. To prevent the box from arcing when expanding the foam, spacers are placed between the vertical posts of the structure. Foam should be selected with a low expansion coefficient;
- After polymerization of the foam, which occurs on average 2-3 hours, the spacers are removed from the doorway and the prepared door leafs are hung. First, one blade is hung on several screws, after which its operation is checked by the cut, then the second blade is mounted. After that, the operation of both doors is checked and the hinges are put on all screws;
- The last step is to hang handles and locks, as well as put on platbands. Inserting the lock is a very important part of the work, since the mismatch of its entrance and the locking mechanism will lead to the fact that the lock will have to be changed. The special complexity of the work lies in the fact that it is necessary to embed the castle in a canopy, which requires special care and caution.
When installing the doors, the masters advise to seal the box with mounting tape, and wrap the doors in cellophane so that when foaming they do not stain the surfaces, which will then be very problematic to put in order.
For more information on how to install double-leaf doors yourself, see the next video.
Options in the interior
Double doors are an adornment of the interior of any apartment, attracting attention and often being a central element of design.
The white minimalist version, despite its simplicity, is a connecting element, combining two different purpose rooms in a single whole.
An interesting variant is the sliding door with a large opening. Thanks to the design, the door performs its functions without reducing the useful area of space.
A door made of solid wood in a colonial style looks very solid and expensive.
The glass door with a translucent design does not require the addition of additional elements and objects to the interior, being a key detail.