Today, there are several varieties of paints that are popular with consumers. One of the most popular are modern acrylic mixtures, which have many positive qualities. Today we will get to know more closely with this finishing material, as well as with the immediate scope of its application.
What it is?
Acrylic called water dispersion paints, based on polyacrylates and their polymers, acting as film formers.
The popularity of the specified finishing material is due to the fact that it can be used for both internal and external finishing works. Such mixtures are diluted with water, and different colors (pigment pastes) are added to them. However, after it has completely dried, acrylic paints become waterproof and indelible.
Today, many consumers turn to acrylic coatings, because they are quite reliable, wear-resistant and, of course, attractive. In addition, the choice of different colors of acrylic compositions is very rich, therefore, it is possible to choose the best option for any interiors.
In these coloring mixtures, an aqueous suspension of special resins of synthetic origin acts as a bonding element. The bases of such paints are polymers such as methyl, ethyl and acrylic butyl.
For finishing works, a coloring mixture based on organic solvents and water-dispersion components is used. The first option is best suited for the design of building facades, as it is more durable.
As for the interior design, it is worth using paint on a water-dispersion basis. Such mixtures are presented in a rich color palette. Each specific color is indicated by special marking, so choosing the right shade is not difficult.
If the shade of acrylic paint does not suit you, then it is quite possible to "fix" it. For example, you can make the composition lighter with special acrylic white. It is enough to add them to the mixture, and the shade will change.
Advantages and disadvantages
Acrylic paint is today one of the most popular finishing materials.
This demand is explained by a number of positive qualities that such coatings possess:
- First of all, the versatility of acrylic paints should be emphasized. They can be applied to almost any surface, whether it is concrete, brick, plywood, drywall or plastic. In addition, they are used in various fields. For example, they can decorate a car or paint the doors in a room.
- Such mixtures are characterized by low gas permeability.
- Acrylic paints are not afraid of exposure to aggressive chemicals.
- These finishing materials are environmentally friendly. In their composition there are no dangerous and harmful compounds, as, for example, in oil variants. That is why acrylic paints can be safely used in the decoration of children's rooms.
- Such finishing materials do not have sharp and unpleasant odors even after they have completely dried. That is why working with them is much easier and more enjoyable.
- Many buyers turn to acrylic mixtures, because they dry quickly enough. Of course, the thickness of the applied paint layer also affects this fact, however, as a rule, these mixtures become dry within a couple of hours.
- A wide selection of colors is another positive factor affecting the popularity of acrylic paints. Due to the rich assortment, such a mixture can be easily selected for any ensemble.
- Paints with an acrylic base do not allow moisture to pass through.
- On these finishing materials, dirt and dust do not accumulate, because of which they will have to be cleaned only when necessary.
- Acrylic paint has high strength. Its pretty hard to hurt.
- She is flexible and supple in work.
- Another significant advantage of acrylic paint is its durability. In this case, this finish option is ahead of oil and alkyd products.
Despite such a rich list of positive qualities, acrylic paints have their drawbacks:
- The main drawback that many consumers note is the high cost of this finishing material.
- In modern stores, a lot of unsuccessful copies of acrylic paints are sold, which are given out as genuine material. Such mixtures are of low quality and do not last long.
- Acrylic paints are subject to freezing, therefore, at low temperatures, they lose many of their properties.
- These finishes are solvent resistant.
- Do not combine with other film formers.
Scope of application
High-quality acrylic-based paints are often used to design facades, as well as wooden, concrete and brick surfaces.
Acrylics are also great for interior decoration. They can be used not only for decorating walls, but also for ceilings. Many owners use these mixes for coloring wallpapers. Of course, this type of finish is possible only if we are talking about special painting canvases.
Pipes of hot water and radiators, as well as heating systems, are treated with similar compositions. Even after a long time after the applied paint will not crack or turn yellow on them.
Also, acrylic paints are used in painting. Often, with their help, various patterns are applied to various substrates. It can be a car decoration or even nails.
Types and characteristics
There are several varieties of acrylic paints. Each type has its own characteristics and operational characteristics. You must know about them before you go to the store to buy this finishing material.
First of all, all acrylic paints vary in scope by:
- for outdoor work;
- compositions intended for painting (most often produced in tubes);
- special automobile.
Exterior facade compositions contain various additives, thanks to which they are not afraid of exposure to direct sunlight, as well as high humidity and abrasion.
Similar varieties of acrylic paints can be safely used for finishing any surfaces. They cover not only the facades of buildings, but also gates or fences.
Interior mixtures are less protected from exposure to moisture and moisture. However, they also have a number of advantages. For example, they are very easily applied to various substrates, do not wash off, and also serve for many years, without causing any trouble and without losing their attractiveness.
It is recommended to use special options for painting various indoor surfaces. Also, in modern stores of building materials, you can also find universal mixtures that can be used for both external and internal works.
Interior options have an exclusively water dispersion base. They are environmentally friendly and absolutely safe both for the human body and for the environment. In the decoration of walls or ceilings, matte coatings are most often used. As for wooden substrates or wet rooms, it is better to use the original gloss.
Acrylic paints have long been used for painting cars. They often cover the car body to give a more aesthetic or original appearance.
Acrylic paints for metal, as a rule, are based on organic components, and therefore are more expensive than other options. A distinctive feature is that before applying them, it is necessary to put special soil on the base. It is needed not only to ensure high adhesion of coatings, but also to protect the metal from corrosion. In addition, acrylic paint lays on the soil much better, and its consumption is significantly reduced.
As for the colors intended for painting, they are found in stores at least universal options. Such compositions are perfect for painting. In many ways, they surpass the good old oil paints.
Of the positive qualities of such mixtures, one can distinguish:
- Long service life.
- Immunity to sunlight.
- Preservation of an attractive appearance for many years without the appearance of yellowness and cracks.
- Water resistance.
- Ease of application on any basis, whether it is fabric, paper, glass or ceramic.
- Brightness and color saturation.
Special polyacrylic resins are very similar to nitrocellulosic materials. In the production of paints and varnishes, they began to be used relatively recently.
The distinctive characteristics of polyacrylic resins allow their use in a wide variety of fields.
They are necessary in the manufacture of organic glass, as well as reliable plumbing products and even some textile products.
As for paints and varnishes, here it is worth indicating their varieties:
- Cold drying coatings. They are based on thermoplastic polymers.
- Hot-drying coatings. They are based on thermosetting polymers.
- Water Soluble Mixtures.
- Water-based compositions of natural drying.
Similar copies are made on a water basis. They are much superior to polyvinyl acetate and other water-based mixtures. For example, they are characterized by high water resistance and weather resistance. In addition, water-based compositions for a long time retain an attractive appearance.
The composition of such coloring mixtures contains the following components:
- monomers of acrylic copolymers.
- Auxiliary monomers.
- Pigments and various fillers.
- Different additives.
The main characteristics of water-based paints are provided by monomers of acrylic copolymers. Various additives are necessary in order to make the finishing material more reliable, strong and waterproof.
Thanks to auxiliary components, the hardness and strength of the paint can be adjusted.
Pigments give the paint a particular color, and also increase the covering ability of the material. In addition, these components are necessary to increase the resistance of the finish to the effects of aggressive sunlight and other environmental factors.
The role of colored pigments, as a rule, are inexpensive chemical elements of inorganic origin. These include chromium oxide, iron, lead and other similar raw materials.
If we are talking about a snow-white high-quality composition, then titanium dioxide of rutile modification is added to it. As for organic compounds, they are used quite rarely (often in the form of special pigment pastes for tinting).
In the role of additional components in aqueous emulsion mixtures there are:
- Special emulsifiers and special surfactants;
- Solvents of organic origin;
If you separate the acrylic paint coatings according to their intended purpose, then the following varieties can be distinguished:
- Finishing materials for wooden base;
- For different types of fabrics;
- Acrylic paints for work on a glass surface;
- On concrete;
- Elastomeric mixtures suitable for finishing surfaces subject to various deformations in the form of bends or torsions;
- Spray paints in small spray cans.
Acrylic interior paints are very popular because they look attractive and can transform the atmosphere in a particular room.
Pearlescent paint, reminiscent of silver or gold with its unobtrusive luster, has been especially popular recently. Its distinctive feature is that it can be safely used both in artsy, and classical or modern styles.
For example, in an elegant classic interior with natural wood furniture and decorative dark sculptures, delicate chocolate pearl walls decorated with large paintings with carved frames will look amazing.
As for modern styles, pearlescent acrylic paint can be a real highlight of the interior. So, in a futuristic black and white bedroom, the space behind the bed can be finished with a black mixture. This area will look very stylish and fashionable.
Universal are white pearl paints. They look organically in many styles, refreshing them and making them much brighter. Against the background of such walls, all items of furniture and decor will stand out, and the space itself will seem more spacious and free.
Another popular option is glossy acrylic paint. She looks very impressive and expensive. It can be used not only for wall decoration, but also for decorating the ceiling.
Glossy surfaces look great in modern and progressive ensembles. Against the background of such finishing materials, furniture with the use of glass or metal (painted or chrome) will look especially organic and stylish. Moreover, if you install enough lighting fixtures in a room with glossy paint, it will seem much more spacious and roomy.
Another original and bright finishing material is acrylic paint with sparkles. It looks especially impressive in sunlight or under artificial lighting.
Choosing a similar finishing material for the design of a room, it should be remembered that space should not be overloaded with a large number of decorative details. If against the background of unusual walls with sparkles there will be too many different (no less bright) elements, then the ensemble may seem too colorful.
As for standard colors, the following attractive palettes are most often used to design different interiors:
- Beige and cream;
- Caramel and light chocolate;
- Black and white;
- Blue and blue, as well as green, purple and lilac;
- Orange and yellow;
- Red and burgundy.
In the selection of paint, the main rule should be remembered: the smaller the room, the more light surfaces it should have.
So, for a modest small-sized space, beige, white, cream, light caramel and milk will be successful colors. These colors are easily soiled, but acrylic is washable, so avoid them.
Light colors are an indispensable solution for decorating a small hallway or corridor. As a rule, such rooms are quite narrow, so it is not recommended to use dark colors in them.
If you are finishing a spacious room, then you can use dark palettes in it. However, even in such conditions there should not be too many gloomy shades. Dark gray, dark blue or black walls must be diluted with contrasting or lighter pastel furniture, a sufficient number of lighting fixtures, as well as bright decorative elements.
In the case of a children's room, moderately bright and cheerful colors should be preferred:
- pale pink, peach, light purple, yellow or orange walls in a cozy corner of a little girl.
- blue, cyan, magenta, lilac, brown, or green tones in the boy’s room.
Today, there are several of the most popular and well-known companies that produce high-quality and durable acrylic paints. Below is an overview of the most sought after brands.
This major manufacturer specializes in the production of various paints and varnishes, which are intended both for the decoration of walls and ceilings indoors, as well as for facades and fences outside. All Dekart products are of unsurpassed quality because they are made from safe materials.
Prices for the products of this manufacturer range from very affordable to high. Dekart interior acrylic paints are presented in a large assortment. Each consumer will be able to find for themselves the composition of the desired shade.
Tex is one of the largest manufacturers specializing in the production of high-quality paints and varnishes in St. Petersburg and Russia as a whole.
The assortment of this large company has beautiful acrylic paints that collect positive reviews on the Web. Consumers, in the first place, note the remarkable adhesion of these mixtures to any bases, as well as their durability and resistance to mechanical damage.
However, there are rare customer responses that claim that the Tex acrylic paint they purchased is actually not washable and suffers from constant contact with water. What is the cause of this problem is hard to say. Perhaps some buyers are buying a poor-quality substitute for the finishing material or incorrectly applying it on their own.
This company has been engaged in the production and wholesale of good quality paints and varnishes since 2008. The relatively young brand has already managed to win the respect of consumers, because its products last a long time and do not bring any problems during their presence on the walls or ceiling.
Areal + acrylic interior paints are relatively inexpensive and are sold in large plastic buckets. They do not smell and look aesthetically pleasing. Many copies can be used to decorate the walls, and to decorate the ceiling. Also in the assortment of this manufacturer there is a huge number of high-quality facade paints in different colors.
This trademark belongs to Tikkurilla, located in St. Petersburg. Products manufactured under the Joker brand are very popular among modern buyers due to affordable prices and a large selection of colors.
A distinctive feature of this product is its hypoallergenic base. That is why such paints can be safely used for allergy sufferers and those with asthma. As for the direct composition of the acrylic compositions of this brand, it was developed jointly with the Association for Allergic and Asthmatic Diseases of Finland.
This well-known German manufacturer has been producing high-quality and durable paint since 1885. During its existence, the Caparol brand managed to gain worldwide popularity and consumer love, as its products are of unsurpassed quality.
All brand products are environmentally friendly and absolutely safe for health and the environment.
This manufacturer from Slovenia produces durable and wear-resistant paints. His assortment includes interior mixes for wall and ceiling decoration.
All Belinka products are designed for surfaces subject to maximum wear. Paints from this manufacturer are resistant to abrasion, mechanical damage and many other external factors. In addition, aggressive chemicals are not afraid of high-quality Belinka acrylic paints.
Oikos is a well-known Italian manufacturer that produces high-quality coatings that are environmentally friendly and have good performance characteristics. Acrylic paints are high-tech and it is very convenient to work with them.
Oikos products are extremely popular not only in Italy, but also around the world. This is explained not only by the highest quality of goods, but also by their rich assortment. The company offers beautiful and supple paints of various colors (more than 2000). In addition, consumers have a great opportunity to get a unique effect of finishing material such as silk, pearl marble or velvet.
This manufacturer offers a choice of buyers decorative and protective coatings. Sigma-Color assortment includes high-quality acrylic paints for facade decoration. Branded mixtures are not afraid of harsh climatic conditions and are waterproof.
If you want to get a beautiful interior paint with an acrylic base, then this manufacturer can offer beautiful washable compositions in various shades. According to the assurances of the representatives of Sigma-Color, their products are characterized by durability, economical consumption, high vapor permeability and quick drying. In addition, such acrylic paints have affordable prices.
How to dissolve?
Various components are used to dissolve acrylic paints. The easiest option is to add a certain amount of water to the mixture. This method is the most common, because it is water that is available in mixtures based on acrylic.
It is necessary to take into account the fact that after drying, such a paint forms a special protective film that provides a waterproof effect to the finish. For this reason, all tools and fixtures after finishing work should be cleaned as soon as possible before the paint has time to dry.
Another tool with which you can dilute acrylic paint is a thinner, which is recommended by the manufacturer of the paintwork itself.
Using this method, you can change many of the characteristics of the coloring composition, after which the surface to be painted will acquire an original glossy or dull sheen.
To dilute the acrylic paint correctly and not harm it, it is worth acting in accordance with the following recommendations:
- the ratio of paint and water 1 to 1 will lead to an optimal mass, which will perfectly lie on any base and will serve as a base layer for further painting.
- Applying a paint in which two parts of water has been added will produce a very thin layer. It will evenly impregnate the surface of the base.
- The amount of water that you dilute acrylic paint, largely depends on the type and thickness of the paint layer that you plan to receive. Keep in mind that the thinner the layer, the less paintwork you need in your work. For such methods, you need to add a little more water.
- If you want to dilute an already dried acrylic mixture, then first you need to thoroughly grind it into powder. After this, the bucket (or other utensils) in which the composition is located must be filled with hot boiled water. When the water has cooled, it must be drained from the dishes and repeat the same procedure again.
- After this, the excess water must be drained again, and the paint mixed. With this composition, it is not necessary to paint the most important areas in the room, since dried acrylic paint loses many of its positive qualities and useful properties. However, for painting farm buildings, such a mixture is ideal.
Subtleties of application
Acrylic paints cover the bases quite easily, especially if the home craftsman is ready for the process and is familiar with the intricacies of the work:
- First you need to prepare the foundation. If we are talking about the decoration of the ceiling or wall, then they must be cleaned of any pollution (even the smallest).
- In addition, the surfaces of the substrates must be perfectly even. If they have irregularities and other defects, then they must be disposed of with putty, otherwise the paint will emphasize the damaged areas.
- When the putty is completely dry, it must be thoroughly wiped, and then proceed to the next stage of work.
- It is equally important to remove the old finish and primer the surface. This step should not be neglected, since high-quality soil will have a beneficial effect on acrylic paint, extend its life and protect it from mold and mildew.
- Previous coatings can be removed from the substrates using a conventional spatula. This process should not be neglected, because the presence of even the smallest particles can make painting walls or ceilings impossible.
- Prepare the entire tool in advance.
To apply acrylic paint you will need the following devices:
- container for paint;
- acrylic paint itself.
- Staining must be started from the corners of the base. At first it is better to use a brush, because the roller for such work is hardly suitable.
- When you finish painting the corners, you should walk with a brush along the perimeter of the ceiling or walls. You can take hold of the roller only after completing these steps.
- The first paint coat can be applied in any direction. However, the final painting must be done towards the windows. This simple technique allows you to achieve the aesthetic effect of a perfectly smooth surface.
In your work, keep in mind that acrylic dries quickly enough, so you need to cope with the walls or ceiling in one day. Otherwise, the composition will dry out and lose most of its useful qualities.
High-quality acrylic mixtures are applied in just two common ways:
- with preliminary dilution with water or specialized mixtures;
- in the form of paste (in this case, you will need to purchase a special thickener).
How to choose?
You can choose high-quality acrylic paint based on the following recommendations:
- First you need to decide on the color of the coloring composition. For bedrooms, it is better to use calm and soothing tones, for living rooms - brighter and more original, and for the kitchen, laconic paint of cold shades is suitable.
- At the moment, in many construction stores there are paints that have nothing to do with real acrylic mixes. In order not to run into a crude fake, it is better to contact a well-known store that sells branded products. Such products are more expensive, but do not chase too low a price - it may indicate a low quality paint.
- If you plan to apply the paint to the walls or ceiling yourself, then you need to take care in advance of the availability of all tools and devices. They should also be purchased at trusted retailers.
- For self-application of the coloring composition, you can use not only a standard brush or roller. Some users additionally buy an aerosol or spray, in which they fill in acrylic paint and proceed to wall or ceiling decoration.
- Experts recommend carefully reading the information on the paint label. First of all, the buyer should be interested in such important parameters as resistance to washing and abrasion, color reliability and non-susceptibility to the formation of fungus or mold.
The listed properties of paints are indicated by numbers. For example, in this way the permissible number of cleanings with a brush is illuminated (before the first damage is formed). As a rule, this process can be repeated no more than 30 times. Retention of saturated color is often indicated in the format of months.
If you get paint, which will have to be constantly in damp conditions, you need to pay special attention to its biological resistance.
For these purposes, the composition of the mixtures contains special antibiotics that do not adversely affect human health.
An important role in the choice of paint is played by the time of its complete drying, which is also often indicated on the package. This parameter affects the speed of work. So, beautiful glossy mixtures dry faster than matte ones. They need only 25-45 minutes for this.
If you have to carry out all the finishing work in conditions of too high or too low temperature, then the drying time of the mixture may vary and become a little longer. This is especially true for situations when the level of humidity is increased.
Another important parameter that you should pay attention to when choosing acrylic paint is the level of its viscosity. An overly viscous mixture is very difficult to apply, and if you plan to use not a roller, but a spray gun, then the whole process can significantly drag out and become difficult. But do not think that watery and too liquid acrylic will be the best solution. Such material will not differ in sufficient adhesion, and the walls will not be properly painted. That is why it is recommended to buy acrylic-based coloring mixtures whose viscosity is balanced and at an optimal average level.
Specialists claim that paints with special thixotropic additives are convenient and pliable in application. If you find these elements in the mixture on the packaging, then you should not be suspicious of them. Thixotropic additives simplify the process of applying acrylic dye to a ceiling or wall. Thanks to them, the mixture does not leak, and its fluidity increases during mixing. If you have purchased a high-quality thixotropic paint, then it will not flow and drip from the tools, but it will spread well and form a perfectly smooth polymer film.
For more information about acrylic paints, see the next video.