Furnishing the kitchen, you need to carefully consider the whole decor and purpose of each item, since all family members use this room. Often in the kitchen you can find a sofa. This piece of furniture can be borrowed from the assortment for other rooms or created specifically for the kitchen.
Do I need a sofa in the kitchen?
The question of the appropriateness of the sofa in the area for cooking and eating does not have a clear answer. Most often, this arrangement of furniture can be found in those apartments where the kitchen acts as a living room or combined with it. Since these situations are often encountered in the layout of a modern apartment, the sofa is in every second kitchen area.
What other additional advantages does the sofa installed in the kitchen have:
- special narrow models are produced that do not look bulky and can be fitted even in a modest room;
- it can comfortably accommodate several people;
- high-quality sofa is much more comfortable than chairs;
- some models can be used as an extra bed for sleeping;
- it can be turned into an additional storage system;
- a wide selection will allow you to choose exactly the model that harmoniously fits into the interior;
- often the sofa acts instead of a partition, delimiting zones in a studio-type apartment.
In any furniture store or website you can see many models. To make it easier for you to make a choice, let's bring this set into a kind of classification.
By configuration, sofas can be:
- angular (they can also include p-shaped and t-shaped sofas);
- semicircular (with different radius of curvature).
The shape of the sofa depends on the construction features of the kitchen. If the kitchen has a free corner, the sofa can be bent on one or two sides. The main thing is that windows, radiators, balcony and entrance doors, pipes and ducts do not interfere. In a separate view, you can select models consisting of modules (or blocks); they can be used as a single composition or each separately.
You can change their places at any time or not use the unit, thereby turning the sofa into a straight line or by making two separate chairs.
Typically, these models allow you to use one of the parts as a small table.
Sofas with built-in mechanisms can be attributed to a separate group, it is thanks to them that a narrow sofa turns into a full bed on which you can relax or spend the night. Mechanisms are simple and more complex. Any can be adapted for the kitchen, but the most popular are:
These models are quite compact - with a small depth and a width of 1.2 m. Sofas with mechanisms such as "accordion", "French clamshell" are too voluminous, but also in demand by customers who have free space. In furniture consisting of modules, the mechanism is usually installed in the widest (most often central) part. All the folding and sliding systems are distinguished by the quality of the fittings, the dimensions in the unfolded state and the efforts that need to be made. Simple mechanisms require just one action.
For complex ones, a whole sequence of steps is required. Therefore, before purchasing them, it is better to try them in practice, and more than once.
Another group consists of sofas with the ability to store things, products and kitchen utensils.
Two options are possible here:
- closed and open niches;
- all kinds of drawers.
Most often, niches are located under the seats. Drawers are installed on the front or side - this is more convenient, since the extraction of things does not interfere with sitting. It is advisable to take these possibilities into account at the time of planning all kitchen furniture, so as not to clutter up the space with cabinets or uncleaned things.
Sofas for the kitchen may vary:
- by the presence of armrests;
- by type of supports (with legs, wheels and more);
- the softness of the back and seat.
All these differences must be considered when choosing. Many manufacturers offer to make a sofa for a special project. Then it can be made really shallow, of the desired width and with those characteristics that you wish.
Of course, sofas for the kitchen differ in the material from which all their parts are made. The base (frame and supports) is usually made of wood, wood boards or metal and therefore they have different indicators of strength, weight, service life and environmental friendliness. MDF is notable for its affordable price, ease of processing, assembly and installation, a wide selection of PVC coatings. The tree is more durable and is a natural material, looks good and smells, but is expensive. Metal is increasingly being used not only in hidden details, but also in decor. It is more difficult to assemble and transport a sofa with a metal base, but it will last much longer. When choosing material, consider the expected load, as this seating area will be used frequently.
A huge role is played by the quality of fittings, fixtures and mechanisms.
It is not worth saving on these elements, as their wear will cause inconvenience every time they are used.
It would be better if they are made of steel rather than aluminum or plastic.
The next important detail is the sofa cover (upholstery). For coating use artificial or genuine leather, acrylic, velor, tapestry, flock and other types of textiles. Since the sofa will be in the kitchen, its cover should be durable, waterproof and easy to clean (preference is given to smooth material, without lint).
The coating should be pleasant not only externally, but also to the touch - the upholstery should not be cool or slippery.
Filling depends on the degree of softness - foam is usually used, and in ergonomic models the filler is multi-layered.
It is impossible to forbid the use of certain colors, especially if you have any special preferences or you clearly understand what exactly you need. But there are certain recommendations that will help finally make a decision or adjust it.
- For any interior items in the kitchen neutral colors are preferable - they make the room more spacious, lighter. It will be better if individual objects are bright - for example, a seat cover, bedspread or sofa cushions. This rule is optional, but convenient, since changing the color of the parts to another, you get a completely different look.
- Warm colors help maintain a good mood, make the atmosphere cozy. Green, brown and yellow look unobtrusively, but beautifully.
- Bright colors cause stronger emotions, promote the appearance of appetite. A red or orange sofa will definitely have a positive effect on activity and mood. However, such colors bother faster.
- The most suitable colors for the kitchen-living room will be: pink, gray, purple. It is acceptable to use a strip or other small, neutral in meaning drawings.
Ideas in the interior
For a kitchen in a classic style and a sofa you need an appropriate one. It’s good if it will be a sofa bench with curved legs and armrests, a carved semi-soft back and an oval seat. The decor will be wood and plain or patterned upholstery. Any sofa of restrained color, without a large number of decorative details, will suit neoclassical furniture. It also harmoniously fit options with a leather coating.
For a kitchen in a modern style, sofas with chrome details are suitable.
For minimalism, solid upholstery and a more austere sofa form with no frills are important.
In other modern areas, unusual shapes and colors are provided. In this case, the sofa will certainly become the highlight of the modern kitchen.
An interesting option is when the sofa is a kind of continuation of the kitchen. To do this, order a low, narrow cabinet of the same material and color. You can order a seat on it. Instead of a back, there are pillows or a sheet of frame material.
Let's see what they pay attention to when choosing a sofa in the kitchen.
- Despite the fact that the kitchen often needs a model with a narrow seat and a small back, its depth should not be less than half a meter, otherwise it will be difficult and uncomfortable for people to sit.
- If you plan to use the sofa as a bed, it should be comfortable when unfolded.
- For furniture with pull-out mechanisms (it does not matter whether they relate to the extension of drawers or creating a place for sleeping), you need to take into account the dimensions so that nothing interferes with their full effect.
- Think in advance - what you will store in the sofa and organize the interior space accordingly. If you will place groceries or utensils in it, be careful about the materials - they must be safe.
- Pay attention to the quality of the seams, fixtures, assembly. Even these little things are important.
- Choose a manufacturer by carefully studying the offers in this area. You should not focus only on cost. Delivery, assembly, warranty service and good reviews about furniture will be an additional plus.
For tips on choosing the right sofa, see the video below.