If you want to plant beautiful flowers in your garden that are capable of giving your garden an unprecedented liveliness with their variety, then tulips will be an excellent decorative addition. Tulip can give a special freshness, the sort of which looks like Ice Cream ice cream. Such flowers begin to bloom in late spring and attract many with their magnificent appearance. Ice Cream is rightfully included in the top 5 of the most charming tulip varieties. Many are interested in the question of whether it is possible to grow such tulips in our area. Let's get it together.
Tulips are considered the most popular among domestic flower growers; they are grown both locally and on a massive industrial scale. These flowers are representatives of the lily family and belong to the genus of bulbous perennials. Tulips were brought from Central Asia. Of the variety of these flowers, the Ice Cream variety stands out. Often you can find another name for the variety - "Sundae." Its unusual buds look very much like ice cream. These incredible flowers relatively recently flooded the markets, but today they are extremely popular among gardeners.
The tulip variety “Sundae” implies a two-color plant with a terry frame. Tulip can easily be distinguished from the rest of the representatives of this species - this variety has a lot of petals, which are distinguished by their unusually dense.
Contrast is given by the petals located on the bottom row of the bud. Nevertheless, you can also find representatives of the variety, the bud of which will have only one color.
We give a brief description of the variety.
- The flower stem is massive and wide, has a green color, and its height can reach up to 40 centimeters.
- The flowers of the plant are quite large in size. On average, they can reach 9 centimeters in height. The maximum diameter of a half-opened bud is 7 centimeters. When the bud opens, its diameter can reach 10 centimeters.
- Tulip petals have a rich color scheme, and each layer may differ. For example, a tulip can have a pink color, and its core is snow-white.
- An excellent advantage of the variety is a high rate of resistance to various diseases.
- Another plus of the plant is frost resistance. It tolerates low temperatures up to –30 degrees Celsius.
- The tulip bloom is considered late (mid-May).
- “Ice cream” blooms for about two months.
This variety is distinguished by its original appearance, and the flowering period exceeds all expectations. And also such tulips can stand for a long time in a vase, decorating your home. The “Plombir” buds have been closed for quite some time, and they open gradually.
But this variety has its drawbacks.
- Slow breeding process. For a season, a flower can produce no more than three bulbs.
- A small portion of the tulips may not open.
Ice Cream coexists beautifully with other flowers in the garden. For normal flowering, it is necessary to adhere to the basic rules for caring for tulips. And also when planting, it is recommended to use special soil. Let’s figure out what rules must be followed to create a beautiful flowerbed, in the composition of which there will be an ice cream tulip.
- Before planting, it is recommended to hold the bulbs in a solution made on the basis of potassium permanganate.
- This plant variety loves warm and well-lit places. When landing, you should definitely take this fact into account and choose a sunny place.
- The water in the soil should not stagnate, as this is very harmful to the tulip and in the future can lead to a disease of the root system.
- After a place has been selected, the soil should be loosened.
- Then use any organic fertilizer.
- At the next stage, it is necessary to place the plant in the soil no more than 20 centimeters.
- It is desirable that the temperature in the soil does not exceed +10 degrees Celsius.
- The necessary distance between the flower bulbs should also be observed. This indicator should be at least 5 centimeters.
- After planting, you need to pour flowers with warm water.
- You can dilute the flowerbed with flowers such as daffodil and crocus. They are recommended to be planted at a shallower depth. This diversity is explained by the fact that representatives of these types of flowers open at different times, which, in turn, will contribute to the normal growth, in particular, of each of them.
- And also there is another significant advantage of this combination: the absence of weed grass.
- When a gust of strong winds, the flowers do not violate their integrity, as they serve as a support for each other.
Usually, “Ice cream” is planted in the first half of autumn. This is necessary to root the plant before the onset of cold weather. In winter, it is recommended to mulch the plant with a large layer so that the flowers can sprout in spring.
If you decide to plant a plant in spring, then it is best to do this as soon as possible. Bulbs are usually planted in a container in the winter, and after the weather conditions have stabilized, you can plant tulips in open ground.
How to care?
Like many ornamental plants, the Plombir variety requires an individual approach to care. In order to achieve the most effective result in growing a tulip, there are some basic recommendations that should be followed.
- Representatives of this variety are very thermophilic plants, on the basis of this we can conclude that a well-lit place will be the best place to plant. The buds are unable to fully open, growing in shaded areas. But also in such conditions, they lose their bright color and become paler, and their buds will be very small.
- The watering regime should be observed, starting from weather conditions. In moderately warm weather, it is recommended to water the plant no more than once a week. If it is very hot outside, then the plant requires a little more moisture, and tulips should be watered 1 time in 2 days.
- And also the plant must be properly fertilized. For the first time this process is carried out during the planting of tulips. The soil for flowers is fertilized with organic substances, in this case compost is great, you can also use foliage. The plant needs fertilizer during the growing season. To do this, you need a complex based on minerals. In one season, it is recommended to do at least 5 dressings.
- You should pay attention to the condition of the plant, since there are many different pests that can affect the health of the tulip. The main pest for this plant is the snail. The main thing is to notice its appearance on the flower at the right time, in this case you can quickly get rid of it without damaging the plant. The soil should be treated with the necessary product that can be bought at any specialized store.
- Regularly clean the place where the plant grows from weed, so that the tulip will not be damaged.
Sundae is a very beautiful representative of its appearance, but in order for the flower to have a presentable appearance, you should try hard. If the care process has not created significant difficulties for you, then the process of storing bulbs in the winter will not cause any difficulties. The flower bed should be cleaned after the leaves have turned yellow, and ensure that the bulbs are properly stored in the cold season. The onion storage process consists of several stages:
- first you need to carefully dig out the bulbs of the plant;
- then you need to dry them;
- after the bulbs have dried, they should be cleaned of dry husks and earth;
- then the bulbs are ready to put them in a special container, while it is important that they lie all in one row;
- a container with onions must be placed in a dry place, it is undesirable to keep them warm, it is better to select a cool room.
This process will not take you much time and will save the bulbs of the plant for planting in the next season.
In care, Ice Cream tulip is very simple, but, of course, you should not forget about some features of the plant. The main thing is that the time spent will be worth it. Your garden will shine in contrasting colors, and the beauty of tulips will delight you every day.
Overview of tulips "Ice Cream" see below.