In the arsenal of professional anglers and winter fishing enthusiasts, there must be such a tool as an ice drill. It is designed to make holes in an icy pond to gain access to water. A huge selection of this tool of various modifications from different manufacturers is presented on the market. Ice drills “Tonar” are in special demand. What are they and how to use this device correctly, let's understand.
About the manufacturer
Tonar Group of Companies is a Russian company that specializes in the production of goods for fishing, hunting and tourism. It began its history in the nineties of the last century and today has an extensive production. Products of this brand easily compete in the market with analogues of foreign brands.
The Tonar ice drills were created using innovative technology that allows us to produce high-quality goods that are convenient to use. Drills of this brand have several advantages.
- Cost. The price of Tonar ice drills is quite affordable, so the tool is available to most of the population. This company participates in the import substitution program, so its products have an excellent combination of price and quality.
- Large lineup. The buyer will be able to choose a modification of the drill for their individual needs.
- Reliable polymer coating. The paint from the appliance does not clog even after repeated use, it does not rust.
- Design. All ice axes have a convenient folding mechanism, which when using the tool does not play, easily decomposes. When carrying such devices are quite compact.
- Pens. They have a rubberized coating, even in the cold they remain warm.
- Many models can be supplemented with an electric motor.
The disadvantages include only a small drilling depth for most models, which is about 1 m. On some bodies of water in our country, the depth of freezing of rivers and lakes is slightly larger.
How to choose?
There are several aspects to consider when choosing the Tonar ice drill.
Drill Diameter Selection
TM "Tonar" offers three types of drills:
- 10–11 cm - for quick drilling, but such a tool is not suitable for catching large fish, since it is unlikely that you can take it out through such a narrow hole in the ice;
- 12–13 cm is the universal diameter that most fishermen choose;
- 15 cm - a drill that is useful when catching large fish.
Drilling direction selection
Ice drills are produced left and right direction. The company takes into account the different needs of left-handed and right-handed people when drilling ice and produces devices with different sides of rotation.
Ice drills of this brand are produced in several types.
- Classical. The handle is on the same axis as the screw. Drilling is done with one hand, and the other tool is just held.
- Two-handed. Designed for high speed drilling. Here manipulations are made with two hands.
- Telescopic. Has an additional rack, which allows you to adjust the tool for a certain thickness of ice.
The mass of the drill is of considerable importance, since fishermen often have to walk more than one kilometer on foot. The weight of the Tonar ice drills ranges from two to five kilograms.
For the weaker sex, who is not indifferent to winter fishing, TM "Tonar" has released a special series of ice drills in purple.
The price of various drill models is also different. So, the simplest model will cost you only 1,600 rubles, while a titanium ice drill will cost about 10,000 rubles.
Tonar ice ax knives are made of high quality carbon steel. Included are mounts. Ice ax knives come in several forms.
- Flat. This modification is included with the budget models of the drill. They cope well with soft, dry ice at temperatures around 0 degrees.
- Semicircular. Designed for drilling both in the thaw and at subzero temperatures. Their manufacturer produces two types: for wet and dry ice. Easily damaged by sand.
During use, the Tonar ice ax blades may become dull and require sharpening. They can be taken, for example, to a specialized center for sharpening skates or to do this work at home. To do this, you need a special stone with an aluminum silicate abrasive or sandpaper. First, the knives are removed from the tool, then with an abrasive they pass along their cutting part similar to how we sharpen kitchen utensils, after which the knives are again mounted on the drill.
In the model line of ice drills "Tonar" there are more than 30 modifications. Here are a few that are in high demand.
- Helios HS-130D. The most budget model. The drill is a two-handed modification, which is designed for making holes with a diameter of 13 cm. Its upper handle is offset from the axis of rotation by 13 cm, and the lower - by 15 cm, which makes it easy to twist the drill into ice. Scat flat knives are included, if desired, they can be replaced with HELIOS HS-130 spherical knives, which are sold complete with fasteners.
- Iceberg-arctic. One of the most expensive models in the line of TM "Tonar". It has a drilling depth of 19 cm. The seamless auger has an increased pitch, which facilitates the process of releasing the hole from the sludge.
In addition, the device is equipped with a telescopic extension. It allows you to adjust the tool for the growth of the ice drill and set the drilling depth. In addition, the device has an adapter with which you can install an electric motor on it. Complete with a drill are two sets of semicircular knives, as well as a carrying case. The weight of the tool is 4.5 kg.
- Indigo The model is designed for drilling ice up to 16 cm thick. The drill is equipped with a removable tip made of composite materials, which resists abrasion well, spherical knives are fixed on it. The weight of the device is 3.5 kg.
- "Tornado - M2 130." Two-handed device designed for use in sport fishing. The drilling depth of this tool is 14.7 cm. It weighs 3.4 kg. The kit has an adapter mount that regulates the passage of the drill in ice, as well as the length of the tool. The ice drill is equipped with a set of semicircular knives, as well as a convenient and durable case for carrying and storing the tool.
How to use?
It is not difficult to use the Tonar ice drill, for which several manipulations should be performed:
- clear ice from snow;
- put the ice drill perpendicular to the surface of the reservoir;
- make rotational movements in the direction which direction your instrument is;
- when the ice has completely passed, remove the tool with a jerk up;
- shake off the ice from the drill.
Reviews about Tonar ice drills are good. Fishermen say that this tool is reliable, not subject to corrosion, perfectly performs its function. Knives do not blunt over several seasons of use.
The only drawback that buyers note is the rather high cost for some models.
In the next video you will find an overview of the Tonar ice drills.