LG washing machines are reliable units that are always in demand. However, nothing lasts forever, and any technique can break. In this regard, many users are interested in how to determine the cause of the breakdown and how to make repairs with their own hands.
Causes of breakdowns
LG washing machines are the products of the South Korean brand, which has gained wide popularity among users. Customers appreciate the reliability and functionality of devices, thanks to which the equipment for a long time works without failures and breakdowns. However, machines are a complex technical device in which there are many nodes and parts that, if not properly maintained and improperly operated, can fail.
In order to prevent irreversible consequences in a timely manner, you should know the main causes of breakdowns and their symptoms.
The device does not turn on
If the machine does not start working after it is plugged in, there is no light indication, a musical greeting, this can speak of several reasons. Some of them can be eliminated with your own hands, while others can only be solved by a professional master in the service center. The reasons for this failure can be as follows.
- There is no power supply. This is the most common reason. Sometimes a machine or RCD trip, a defective outlet, a surge protector, a malfunction of the power cord can be observed.
- Problems in the power button. It should receive a signal after it is connected to the power supply. You can check the button using the tester, which is in the buzzer status. At this point, the machine should be disconnected from the network. The working condition of the part is confirmed by a multimeter.
- Switching problems may occur due to a faulty interference filter . It is aimed at damping electromagnetic waves that come from the unit. An electromagnetic pulse interferes with the functioning of other units. When such a filter fails, it is not able to pass current through the mains, so the machine stops turning on. You can diagnose the problem with a multimeter dialing.
Does not spin the drum
If such a phenomenon is observed, you should turn off the unit, drain the water and open the door, trying to spin the drum yourself. If you can’t scroll, it indicates that it stuck. There are several reasons for this.
- Opening a door that hooks onto parts. Possible only in machines with vertical loading.
- Belt slipping down. In this case, the replacement is made with the bearing.
- Failure of the bearing , the performance of which is affected by the gland. He begins to leak water.
- The presence of a foreign object between the drum and the tank . This prevents the drum from spinning.
If the drum can be scrolled by hand, but the motor is not rotated, the reasons may be as follows.
- Faulty control module. You can restore performance by resetting the program. Sometimes it may be necessary to repair the board or replace the part.
- Drive belt that has failed. It could be torn or just weakened.
- Motor brushes that are out of order. The motor may suffer from voltage surges or fluid leakage.
- Defective tachometer or Hall sensor.
The presence of extraneous sounds during operation
Often users complain that during operation the machine makes extraneous sounds, creaks, cracks and other noises are heard. The reasons may lie in the following.
- If there is vibration with a hum, then the bearings are worn out. They are influenced by the oil seal, which is responsible for tightness. Since the stuffing box loses its elasticity, water begins to fall on the bearings, which leads to a corrosion process. It is recommended to immediately replace the bearing with the stuffing box.
- If there is crackling and whistling, this symbolizes that the pulley is loosely attached to the drum. You will need to unscrew the bolts and reinstall the part, not forgetting about the sealants. This solution will avoid a weakening a second time. If the pulley is deformed, it must be replaced.
- Extraneous noises with creaks can be heard due to the fact that between the drum and the tank are some foreign objects . They should be removed through the TENA hatch. The heater itself needs to be pulled out in advance.
- The presence of a screen indicates a shock absorber or problems with the springs that fix the tank. The spring mount or fixing bolt may be damaged. You can observe the displacement or tilt of the drum, because of which it begins to knock. In any of the situations, you will need to disassemble the washing machine and replace the faulty components.
- If the machine starts to jump during operation, this may symbolize that the mount of the counterweight of the tank has broken or weakened. An examination of each fixation node and pulling up of each weakened area will be required. If a broken counterweight is present, it must be changed.
- You should also check the legs on which the machine stands. They should be located on a strictly horizontal surface. Another reason for the crash may be hiding in unmade transport bolts.
Slow flow of water into the tank
This may be due to several situations:
- insufficient pressure in the water supply system;
- condition of valve and water hose.
If these indicators are normal, the following points should be checked.
- Inlet valve clogged.
- Auxiliary filter clogged. It is mounted in front of the inlet hose; therefore, a high-quality cleaning should be carried out using sufficient water pressure.
- The door does not close properly or there is a malfunction in locking the hatch.
- Incorrect operation of the water supply valve. This can be caused by a malfunction of the coil, a weakened rod spring, insufficient elasticity of the cuff.
- The control module is defective. A flashing or replacement is required.
Water does not drain
If the correct washing mode is set, you need to check the drain hose, siphon, filter, nozzle. Also, the reason may lie in a broken pump. In this case, it will work much quieter when compared with the normal mode.
Water leakage observed
This is a serious malfunction and should be taken seriously.
The main causes of leakage are as follows.
- If the leak is near the filter, this indicates a poor twisting, condition of the sealing ring or thread.
- If leaking in front of the unit, pay attention to the door that is not tightly closed, damage to the sealing collar.
- If fluid leaks when draining, drain hose inspection is required.
- The inner pipe, the depressurization of the connecting components, the malfunction of the drain pump is manifested in a water leak in the central part or closer to the front.
- A leak near the rear symbolizes that the bearing, oil seal, has failed.
- Water leakage indicates the powder tray.
LG washing machines are not very different from each other, so each user can check the status of their unit using the instructions described below. First of all, you need to diagnose. Immediately proceed to the replacement of parts, not making sure that the matter is really in them - a bad idea. It is possible to understand that a component has failed by using special signs.
Modern cars can signal a malfunction with the help of codes that appear on the display, or the machine's indicator lights.
We give the meaning of the main error codes.
- FE . Reports that the machine cannot drain used water after a certain period. The reason may lie in the malfunction of the electrical controller or in the malfunction of the drain pump.
- IE is a common error that occurs if the water level sensor is faulty. This leads to the fact that the amount of water in the tank will be distorted, and the machine will not be able to collect the correct liquid level. Also, the reason may be a filling valve, insufficient water pressure in the water supply system. If the water supply is not carried out at all, in addition to the code, the user can hear a sound notification.
- OE. During it, there will be excess fluid in the tank. Check the condition of the pump and the electrical controller.
- PE. There is a deviation from the norm of the liquid that enters the tank. Look for the cause should be in the pressure switch or strong / weak pressure in the plumbing system. In some cases, excess fluid may be connected to a circuit in the electrical system.
- DE. This indicates that the door is not tightly closed. Sometimes the reason can be commonplace and consist in stuck underwear, which prevents the door from closing. In some cases, pay attention to the sunroof sensor. Or on the lock itself, malfunction of the hatch handle.
- TE. An error that indicates the presence of problems with the sensors. When such a code appears, the unit will not heat the water to the desired value or, conversely, will begin to overheat it. Check the temperature sensor. You can also encounter a situation where there is no heating of the liquid at all. In this case, you should pay attention to the state of the heating component.
- SE. Engine defective. Such a code can only appear on a washing machine with direct drive. If the reason lies only in the sensor, the motor will still be in a blocked state until the broken component is replaced.
- EE. This is a service code that lights up the first time the washing machine is turned on.
- CE An error indicates that the tank is overloaded. In the machine there is a fuse that controls the weight of the laundry. When the mass of loaded items is exceeded, the drum is blocked due to the signal from the sensor. You can fix the problem by unloading the tank.
- AE. The washing machine is not operating properly. With this code, constant automatic shutdowns are observed.
- E1. This error indicates a leak.
- CL. This is a blocking code that protects the machine from children's button presses. You can release the lock using a special combination of buttons. You can find out the combination by reading the user manual.
Preparation and selection of spare parts
To choose the right accessories for your washing machine, you need to know the model of the device along with the serial and product number. You can get acquainted with the necessary data using stickers. On LG units, this information is located under the loading door. It is also recommended that you take an old part with you to the store so that the seller can correctly select the right option.
Troubleshooting basic machine components
Repair of the LG washing machine can be done with your own hands, if you have the necessary knowledge for this.
Repair of this part at home is possible only for those users who are familiar with the functionality of electronic circuits. Otherwise, you can break the part completely. Repair is accompanied by the following actions:
- cleaning the part from sealant;
- extraction from the compartment;
- then the remnants of the sealant are removed;
- Now you should start the repair, for which you need to know how the board is arranged and how to restore it;
- after repair, protective varnish is applied.
To repair the heating element, you will need to get to it . To do this, first remove several bolts that secure the rear hull of the "washer", and then remove the wall itself. Near the bottom is a pair of contacts, in the middle of which there is a screw. Several wires are connected to these contacts - they are the heating element.
You will need to check the contacts with a multimeter . If the value on the screen of the device is less than 20 Ohms, this indicates that the heater is in a malfunctioning state.
If the heater is faulty, it will need to be dismantled. To do this, unscrew the screw that was described earlier, pry off the sealing ring with a screwdriver and pull out the heating element.
On the burned TEN there will be burning spots. Typically, the heating element fails due to scale, voltage drops or contact with water. In any case, the part cannot be repaired; replacement will be required. To change the heater, you will need to purchase the original part from the manufacturer. After the spare part is installed in its place, it is imperative to put on a rubber band.
It should be lubricated with machine oil so that it is guaranteed to sit in its place and not leak water.
The part is located under the cover, which in most cases is located in the right corner. A small thickness hose with wires is connected to it. To remove the component, you will need to remove the plug from the outlet, dismantle the top cover and unscrew the two screws. Then the cover slides back. The pressure switch itself is fixed with a single screw. It is necessary to remove the terminal, the sensor and disconnect the hose. The performance of the part can be checked by blowing.
If you blow on it, you should hear a click. This indicates that the device is in normal condition. Otherwise, install a new sensor.
Repair work should be carried out carefully, using a special hammer, the impact part of which is bronze, and also a rod of metal of small thickness is present. The component is pulled out by hitting the edges. Initially, you need to install the rod on one edge of the bearing and hit, and then transfer to the opposite.
Wires and terminals
A visual check is carried out for the presence of torn clamps, lack of insulation, the presence of burned areas and melted contacts. You will also need to ring the wiring with a multimeter. All damaged terminals and conductors must be replaced.
To get to the pump, you need to disassemble the machine. This will require the following steps.
- The machine is de-energized.
- Gets the dispenser . The machine should be tilted, because water often remains in the dispenser - it can spill out.
- Now you should dismantle the bottom panel from plastic. It is fixed with a pair of self-tapping screws with latches.
- Since the pump is located on the right in most cases, you need to put the “washer” on the left side.
- Hoses are connected to the pump. You need to pull out the terminals with your hands and photograph them so that the correct layout is in front of your eyes when assembly is required. To remove the hoses, loosen the clamps.
- Around the filter plug the screws are twisted. There are only 3 of them.
- Now you can dismantle the pump.
Typically, the inlet valve is changed, as it is an inexpensive part. It is located in the place where the inlet hose is screwed. In total, the machine has up to 5 components.
- It is required to remove the terminals from the valves. Before proceeding with the task, you need to check that the machine is de-energized and the water supply is turned off.
- The inlet valve itself is fixed with screws or held at the expense of latches.
- Resistance should be in the range of 2.5-4 kOhm.
If the cross has broken, its repair is only advisable in a situation where the bearings that are in the sleeve of the tank cap are damaged. In all other cases, the damaged part should be replaced. To replace the spider bearing, the following steps are required.
- Dismantling of old bearings from the shaft . Almost always they stick to it.
- Removing old oil seals , followed by new ones.
- Pressing in new bearings.
Bearings from the cross must be removed very delicately. Usually they stick very tightly to the shaft, so it will take a lot of effort to remove, but it is strictly forbidden to hit with a hammer on the part. If you hit the bearings with a hammer, there is a big risk of spoiling the shaft, which is made of soft type metal. You need to work with a grinder or drill. With its help, cuts are created on both sides of the bearing, after which a chisel is installed in the groove, and the part gets off the shaft.
Old oil seals are even dismantled. Leaving them is strictly prohibited, regardless of the state of the component. If the new bearing sits tight in the sleeve, you can resort to heating with a blowtorch followed by a neatly press-fit.
The cross itself is attached to the outer wall of the drum with 6 bolts. Some models only have 3 clips. To remove the part, you will need to unscrew these bolts and install a new part. There are models in which the crosspiece is welded to the drum. In this case, only replacement with the drum is possible.
Also, the owner of the LG washing machine may be faced with the fact that the machine is shocking. If the grounding is working properly, you should check the condition of the wires - they must be insulated. To correct such an error, knowledge of the circuit will not be required, since a visual inspection of the wiring will be sufficient.
Sometimes users experience loosened doors due to play. In order to solve this problem, you will need a Phillips screwdriver of medium size. Use it to dismantle the door. Removal is made on a fully open sash. To adjust the door, not many actions are required.
- The two screws that are near the hinges are loosened.
- Then you can half-close the sash.
- Now the door is attracted to itself and slightly up. With this technique, she is removed.
- It is necessary to inspect the loops visually: on them are small components made of plastic, which are similar in appearance to the coils. They should be checked for scuffs. This is usually the main reason due to which backlash is formed.
Not in every store you can find shabby parts, so craftsmen adapted to the FUM tape. To replace the bushings with an FUM tape, you need to take the tape itself, wrap it on the loop with the middle layer and return the door to its place.
You do not need to screw it in right away, you should first test the operation of the hatch. If the gap remains, FUM tape is added.
In order for the machine to last a long time, it is necessary to carry out diagnostics in a timely manner, listen to the sounds that the machine makes during operation, and also observe the weighting standards of loading laundry. It is impossible to ignore the signals that come from the device, since a timely resolved problem will not cost so much when compared with the consequences of neglecting the signals of the machine.
If the user does not know how to repair "washing machines" or is not confident in his abilities, you should contact the service, where professional craftsmen will repair.
Next, watch the video with the features of repairing the LG washing machine.