Storage is almost the main problem of comfortable living in any room. And storing things in the bedroom can even become a problem in the absence of an appropriate specially designed place. To store things in the bedroom properly, you need to choose the appropriate closet. Let us consider in more detail which models are most successful, which are more spacious and practical, as well as compact cabinets for small bedrooms.
There are quite a few varieties of cabinets, and each of them has its own characteristics, disadvantages and advantages. Undoubtedly, for an error-free choice, it is necessary to carefully study absolutely all the characteristics of a particular model, and especially its shortcomings:
- Recessed. Built-in wardrobes look very neat and sophisticated, which are not a separate piece of furniture, but a functional element of the interior built into the wall. The fact is that this type of cabinet is located directly in the wall itself. To place it, you need to create a special niche or easy punching of the walls. In addition, you can place it on the entire wall, which will be much easier - you need to leave inside the space needed for the shelves and install the compartment doors at a certain distance from the wall.
The built-in closet, although it has a lot of advantages, but still has one significant drawback - it cannot be moved when making a rearrangement in the room. Therefore, it is necessary to think over its location more carefully than the location of any other type of cabinet.
- A variation of recessed cabinets is a hidden model, the main distinguishing feature of which is the special door decor. They can be of a neutral hue, merging with the color of the walls, and can be decorated in a special way, adapting to the decoration of the room and not standing out against the background of the walls.
- Case. Cabinet cabinets are more common and familiar, although they are a more cumbersome option than built-in models. By cabinet cabinets can be attributed to any variety, consisting of furniture panels and having a clear frame.
- Bedside cabinets are quite widespread, because they are very functional: they can store both various bedding and underwear, as well as books, and other personal items. In addition, bedside cabinets are very often part of a bedroom furniture set, so the room will be decorated in the same style. Hinged wall cabinets, which are located above the bed, are often part of such sets.
Such models can be equipped with doors, or can be made in the form of a case with shelves and sides, but without closing elements, which, in turn, is not entirely practical, since it contributes to the appearance of a huge amount of dust.
- Modular furniture is also a fairly common type of cabinet furniture . Modular cabinets are products consisting of different compartments that are not fastened to each other. Parts of the modular cabinet can be interchanged with each other, giving it a completely different appearance. Usually among the parts of a modular cabinet there are high narrow compartments - cabinets, which are called pencil cases. Most often, these types of cabinets are equipped with shelves and are intended for storing clothes when folded.
- In the bedroom, a cupboard slide may be appropriate, which, of course, is not suitable for storing clothes, but it will fit into the interior, replacing any other bookcase. This kind of cabinet is good for storing various small accessories and decorative objects of interior design.
- To store clothes in a fairly spacious bedroom, a wardrobe is quite suitable. This view is distinguished by massive dimensions, sturdy construction, ease of location of shelves and compartments. This type of wardrobe will also be an ideal option for storing things in the bedroom, in the country or in a country house. The wardrobe can stand on the floor on special supports, practically leaving no space under it, and can be made in the form of a model with legs. In this case, there remains a space under the cabinet that can be reasonably used, for example, for storing any items that are packed in beautiful, compact boxes.
Cabinets differ not only in variety, but also in shape, as well as how they are placed indoors. Let us consider in more detail the most unusual forms of cabinets and the features of their location relative to other components of the room:
- An unusual option is round cabinets , which are not always wise to be placed close to the wall. Round cabinets, most often, are the central part of the room, or at least have a location somewhat remote from the wall. This form of product can only be placed in a large, spacious bedroom.
- Unlike a round one, a rounded cabinet has a flat back wall or even an angle designed for appropriate placement, so this model may well be located against the wall. Only the front of the furniture is semicircular - its doors.
- Radius wardrobes look very nice, which will become a real find for any bedroom. Smooth, curved forms with visual perception contribute to the sensation of lightness and have a good effect on relaxation, not only physical but also emotional. It is worth noting that the radius cabinets are quite long, so in a small room they will be slightly inappropriate.
- Often the angular placement has a trapezoid-shaped cabinet. It is a model with a flat front and beveled side. In addition, the trapezoid cabinet can have a standard straight back wall and be located along a straight wall.
- A corner wardrobe in the shape of the letter P will be appropriate only in bedrooms equipped with dressing rooms, as it is very bulky and takes up a lot of space. In the room, the placement of such a product will be inappropriate and irrelevant even with large volumes of free space.
- Less bulky is the L-shaped product, which when placed occupies only two walls. There are models equipped with doors only in the middle, and the rest of the space is presented in the form of shelves and is quite suitable for storing a large number of books and creating a personal library.
- It is impossible not to mention the cabinet of a standard, direct form. These models are made in the form of rectangles and can be placed in any part of the room. The main condition will be only a tight fit of the cabinet back to the wall.
Number and types of doors
One of the distinguishing features of different types of cabinets are doors - their shape, size, quantity and principle of operation.
Let us consider in more detail which doors are the most convenient, what is the advantage of each variety, as well as their main disadvantages:
- The most common and most convenient variant is the compartment door. Even the product itself with such doors bears the corresponding name - wardrobe. Doors mounted on special casters move freely in different directions, opening different compartments of the cabinet. This version of the door is most relevant for small bedrooms. It is worth noting that the wardrobe can have a maximum of three shutters on casters. Depending on the size of the cabinet, they can be wide or narrow, but a larger number of opening elements can cause some inconvenience in operation.
- A conventional double-wing cabinet with hinged doors also has a place to be, but requires a bit more free space, since the doors open outward and, when close to other objects, can be blocked, restricting access to the contents. Often there is a four-leaf version of the product with the same principle of door operation. A single-leaf cabinet with a hinged door is only suitable if it is part of a modular system. In other cases, it is not relevant since it has too little internal storage space.
- A much more relevant will be a single-wing wide model with an accordion door. The doors of such cabinets open, folding in two or three parts, taking up much less space than the swing version of the doors. In addition, such doors are quite acceptable for the manufacture of modular models. For example, a six-door or 8-door cabinet, consisting of many narrow modules, will be more convenient and accurate when equipped with doors that work on the principle of accordion. Thus, the doors will open gently, without taking up too much external space. Each version of the door has both its advantages and disadvantages, so you need to choose them not only from personal preferences, but also for reasons of durability and wear resistance.
Consider the pros and cons of each option using the example of a small comparative plate.
- Durability provided by the quality of the loops.
- Wide view thanks to a large swing angle.
- Low cost.
- Silent opening of doors and easy elimination of creaking.
- Have a beautiful decorative exterior.
- Do not require additional external space.
- Strong guides hold doors well, preventing the canvases from flying off.
- Give the cabinet front a look of a dressing room.
- The dimensions of the paintings are smaller than that of swing doors.
- The floor covering and the lower part of the cabinet remain intact, since installation is carried out exclusively in the upper part.
- Convenient and practical.
- Requires additional external space for opening.
- A necessary part is the door handles.
- The appearance of swing doors is not always attractive.
- The cost is higher.
- Steel rails are not able to provide doors with a longer service life, only more expensive aluminum ones will do.
- Some models are not equipped with handles, and those that are available are not replaceable, so you will have to confine yourself to the manufacturer’s development.
- Noises when opening.
- The depth of the cabinet is somewhat trimmed, since guides take up some of the space.
- The canvas can walk and seem unstable due to the lack of lower guides.
Cabinets can have many elements as additional internal equipment, thanks to which they are more functional, roomy and practical. Thanks to the competent delineation of space, this attribute of furniture can accommodate much more things, while preserving the internal order.
The lower compartments with drawers can be very useful and quite suitable for storing underwear or bedding, towels or socks. In addition, the boxes can be not only external, but also internal, presented in the form of metal baskets fixed between the shelves. Some modular systems can be equipped with a niche for the TV, so the kit, like the entire interior, will look more holistically, representing a single picture. In addition, such a niche can have different heights, so you can choose the option that is right for you, for comfortable watching TV.
In some modular systems, such a niche can be obtained by placing narrow hanging shelves with a chest of drawers between the cabinets. Furniture attributes selected in the same style fit tightly together, forming the appearance of a single piece of furniture. A very useful addition to cabinets with hinged doors are mezzanines - upper spacious shelves with independent doors. Models with mezzanines allow you to store, without taking up the main space of the cabinet, a sufficiently large number of things that are not essential items.
Of course, each similar attribute of furniture in the bedroom should have a compartment with shelves, which involves storing clothes and linen when folded. It is best that the distance between the shelves is not too small, leaving space for more things and a more convenient location.
Some models, which are part of a modular system, are equipped with a bedside table, on which a lamp, necessary improvised objects or a book for evening reading can quite well be placed.
Sometimes, it’s not enough just to fit the piece of furniture into the bedroom’s interior, observing only the color scheme, you also need to take care of the stylistic accessory of the furniture attribute, which has a significant effect on its appearance. Let us consider in more detail which cabinets of which styles are especially popular and what is characteristic of each of them:
- For a bedroom in a modern style, you need an appropriate wardrobe, so you should pay attention to the newfangled designs of designers and the most popular novelties. Unusual solutions and the most non-standard models are characteristic of the modern style. For example, cabinets, the door of which is thin wooden slats, a model with various prints in the style of pop art, drawings and popular inscriptions, bright details and non-standard forms of mirrors. Modern models are not limited to any one color palette, they are characterized by an abundance of bright colors.
- The classic style is something more conservative and familiar. And the attributes of furniture in the classical style are sometimes luxury goods that may not be affordable for everyone, since a lot of resources are spent for their decoration and manufacturing and even manual work is used. Cabinets in the classical style, designed for the bedroom, are usually made in soft, light colors. Often, models have decorative legs and are decorated with openwork carvings with scuffs and light effects of silver and gilding.
- The Provence style cannot be confused with any other. Inspired by the outskirts of French villages, it includes sophisticated and elegant pieces of furniture that look delicate and even slightly airy. A Provence-style wardrobe will be a real find for a teenage girl’s bright bedroom. The furniture attribute, which has a light color, and also decorated with scuffs that create the effect of antiquity, will appeal not only to romantic girls, but also to adults, feminine persons.
- The hi-tech style is characterized by the use of cabinets in several neutral shades, so the choice most often falls on gray, white and less often - black shades. The style is characterized by light notes of minimalism, so the decor of the cabinet doors will be barely noticeable, without patterns and prints.
- Wardrobes in the "Modern" style also have light features of minimalism. The products are characterized by the predominance of barely noticeable light lines, light metallic shades and minimal decor. The accessories on the doors should be modern, but without pretentiousness and voluminous elements.
In addition to the described distinctive features, the cabinets differ in size, depending on which the piece of furniture will be relevant for a particular room. Consider the most common sizes of cabinets that are most popular.
For a small bedroom, a small closet is the most suitable option, since excessive clutter will lead to the loss of the interior space of the room. Therefore, do not choose too bulky furniture items for small rooms. A mini-closet is quite suitable, which is a slightly reduced version of familiar products. The mini-model is not less functional, since it has exactly the same internal content. The difference from standard products can only be a little less spacious.
The height of the cabinet plays an important role. When constructing a built-in or hidden option, you can not be limited - this view can be high, under the ceiling. Cabinet and modular cabinets of this height can be somewhat uncomfortable, since assembly can cause problems. As for the width - it is determined solely by the size of the room of the bedroom itself. For small rooms, for example, narrow bedside models with a width of not more than 40 cm are suitable. Such models will not stand out much. They protrude from behind the bed, forming small walls, but do not clutter the surrounding space.
Like the width, the length of the cabinet should correspond to the area of the room. For example, a large spacious bedroom allows the use of a large furniture attribute, the size of which varies in the area of 2000 - 3000 mm. Often products 3 meters long occupy the space in the entire wall.
For small rooms, 170 cm is quite a suitable length - enough to fill with the most necessary.
Materials and decor of the facade
For the manufacture of furniture attributes designed to store personal items in the bedroom, completely different materials are used.
Let us consider in more detail what caused such a variety and have any of them significant shortcomings that affect the product's service life:
- Very high quality and durable cabinets made of solid pine. It is noteworthy that some models are sold without any processing, giving room for creativity and design in accordance with individual desires and needs. In this case, care must be taken to protect the wood from moisture and parasites. To create embedded models, you may need to build a special drywall frame. In some rooms there are already finished niches, it will only be necessary to increase them to the required sizes in order to form a roomy closet inside.
- In the manufacture of furniture of this plan, materials such as MDF, particleboard, fiberboard, chipboard are very often used. Let us consider in more detail the features and purpose of each of them, referring to the comparative table.
Plates are made of very fine chips that have undergone additional processing.
Chipboard made from sawdust.
Fiberboard. Thin enough and very durable.
Laminated chipboard. It has all the same features as the classic one, but has a laminated surface.
- It is an environmentally friendly material.
- Perhaps the use of fine processing.
- The quality is not much different from solid wood, but has a lower cost.
- It has a high degree of moisture resistance.
- It is relatively refractory.
- All kinds of fastenings hold well in the material.
- Low cost.
- Quite a high degree of durability.
- It has a low cost.
- It is irreplaceable.
- A large assortment of colors and decorated coatings.
- High degree of resistance to surface damage.
- High degree of thermal stability.
In some cases, the softness of the material may be a disadvantage.
The use of not quite useful components in the composition, one of which is formaldehyde resin.
- Very thin.
- The range of application of the material is limited.
Thin processing of the web is not possible.
Suitable for the manufacture of cabinets with carved decorative elements.
It is used for the manufacture of bases and frames of cabinets, shelves, side walls and doors.
Not applicable for the manufacture of furniture frames and front parts of cabinets. The material is only suitable for the manufacture of rear walls and bottom drawers.
The material is intended for the manufacture of an external frame and cabinet doors.
As a decor, various materials are used that give a glossy shine, as well as a mirror sheet, which will not only decorate the closet in the bedroom, but also give it a little more functionality.
The choice of cabinet color directly depends on the prevailing color scheme in the bedroom.
Despite all the disagreements of designers in the arrangement of interiors, yet it all comes down to one thing - furniture and interior should be in harmony with each other:
- For a dark bedroom, with an abundance of red and burgundy shades, a black wardrobe is suitable. The furniture attribute not only successfully fits into the design, but also emphasizes it in a peculiar way, highlighting the ripe tones. It is best if the cabinet has a mirror or is made of a material with a glossy surface. Light cabinets can also fit quite nicely into bedrooms with a predominance of dark colors. For example, a white cupboard will fit very well into an interior with dark gray walls, and a beige will look harmoniously in a brown room. In addition, light cabinets look beautiful in bright rooms, where the main design idea is the integrity of the color scheme.
- Cabinets of bright colors with a glossy surface very beautifully complement the modern interior, the main thing is to successfully select color combinations and correctly enter them into the interior. So, a purple wardrobe will look very good in a white room with a lavender-colored decor. The mahogany shade looks beautiful and unusual. The furniture attribute of this shade will become the central object of a dark bedroom, with a predominant number of black objects, and white - with decorative elements to match the closet. Other natural shades look beautiful, such as milk oak, wenge or walnut.
Inside filling options
When choosing a closet, you should pay attention to its internal equipment, since it is very important that things are ensured the most proper storage. A careless, negligent attitude can greatly affect their quality.
Let us consider in more detail which internal compartments should be present in the closet so that all things are always in their place in good condition:
- If all the clothes are stored in the bedroom, it is necessary that the closet be equipped with a compartment with a crossbar for hangers, where long dresses, coats and raincoats will be stored. The height required to store such things is about 150 cm.
- Small drawers, the height of which varies in the region of 30 cm, are suitable for storing hats, scarves and clothing intended for hands. Hats with a clear shape in such a box may not fit, because there is a risk that they will remember and lose their original appearance.
- Wide shelves with a large height, located in the upper parts of the cabinets, are most suitable for storing blankets, blankets and bedding. But do not dump everything in one compartment, it is better to separate products from wool and cotton, storing them on different shelves.
- Wide shelves located in the area under the ceiling are intended to store bags, suitcases, small automatic umbrellas, furniture covers and bedspreads. If there is another place for these things, the space under the ceiling can be reserved for storing bedding and bedding.
- Lower narrow boxes are the best option for storing tights, socks, stockings and other small things. Underwear is also stored in such drawers, but for convenience and preserving the quality of things, it is better to get a special organizer.
- Knitted and woolen clothes, which tend to stretch, are best stored when folded, in order to avoid loss of shape and damage to products. Similarly, things for sleeping are stored - pajamas and nightgowns, since they do not need to be hung separately.
- Equipping the cabinet with metal baskets will help resolve the issue of accessories such as scarves, scarves, belts and belts. It is best to keep these items neatly folded / folded.
- Separately, it is worth storing home slippers, other shoes and delicate things.
How to choose?
Even with a detailed study of all the basic characteristics of a particular cabinet model, the choice may not be as simple as we would like. For convenience and simplification of the task, we have compiled some simple tips to facilitate the selection of furniture attributes for bedrooms of different layouts and sizes:
- When choosing a closet in a small room, you should be guided by the main goal - the maximum preservation of the surrounding space. Since hinged wardrobes take up a lot of space, it is better to pay attention to a small sliding wardrobe, not wide, but rather roomy.
- Bedrooms are 11 square meters. m. most often have a pronounced rectangular shape, so for such a room is quite suitable long cabinet, fully occupying one of the short walls. In such a room, models with swing doors should also be avoided.
- For a bedroom of 12 square meters. m. A fairly long, but not wide cabinet with accordion doors is quite suitable. Such a model will not only functionally complement the interior, but will also become the main highlight and its decoration, thanks to the doors.
- For a spacious attic, it will be quite advisable to make built-in wardrobes. Since the bedroom in such a room will be located under the roof itself, in which the windows are placed, the space for placing and embedding cabinets in the wall area becomes much more than in ordinary rooms, therefore you can equip the room with a quite spacious, long modular system.
- In Khrushchev, do not choose a cabinet that is too high, because the bedrooms located in houses of this type have rather low ceilings and there will be difficulties in assembling the product. For Khrushchev, long modular sets with low cabinets will be an excellent option. It is best to use a coupe model or with accordion doors to save free space.
- A cabinet with a dense rear wall made of the same material as the side ones, as well as a high model with cells without doors, can be used for zoning the room in the living room and bedroom. This method is applicable if there is too much free space or for its differentiation in spacious studio apartments.
How to arrange furniture?
When arranging furniture in the bedroom, it should be guided, first of all, by the fact that this room is designed for sleeping and relaxing, so the space in front of the bed should not be cluttered. It is best that when you wake up, a pleasant view opens before your eyes, so if possible it is better to place the bed opposite or near the window.
If space allows, it is better to get a furniture set, of which the bed is a part. Such a kit implies the presence of small cabinets that can be placed on the sides of the bed. Such lockers are most often equipped with shelves, so they are perfect for storing linen and sleeping clothes. If the bed is placed with a back against the wall, in front of it the modular set of cabinets with a niche for the TV will look best. Before going to bed or after waking up, it will be quite pleasant to lie in bed, watching your favorite TV shows.
At the head of the bed you can also place pretty practical and beautiful hanging cabinets, which are perfect for storing books, combs and cosmetics. With this arrangement of the furniture attribute, more attention should be paid to the reliability of fastening, in order to avoid situations that are dangerous to health. Radius cabinets of curved shape can be quite successfully placed around the perimeter of the room around the bed. In this case, it is better to choose modern models with a decorative pattern on the facade, transforming into an interesting, full-fledged picture.
Beautiful interior design ideas
The brightest example of equipping a bedroom with a modular system of cabinets. The modern interior is complemented by dark attributes of furniture, and bright textiles add color to the design. The system is placed in such a way that the room has two cabinets located on both sides of the bed.
A very stylish bedroom with floor windows has a fairly spacious interior space, so the use of large pieces of furniture is quite acceptable. A long two-door wardrobe with mirrors and additional shelves on the side will be an excellent choice for a room in this style.
The bright minimalist bedroom has French windows, which makes it even brighter. A built-in wardrobe, located along the perimeter of the entire wall opposite the bed, is equipped with three-leaf sliding doors for convenience. This embodiment of the storage system is very convenient and roomy.
The white corner modular wardrobe with a glossy surface will not only functionally fill the bright bedroom, but will also become its main decoration. The piece of furniture goes well with the entire color scheme of the room and is complemented by a bedside table.
In the next video you can see how to choose the right wardrobe and not regret your purchase in the future.