One of the most interesting solutions that make the interior of the living room as original as possible is considered to be the use of bricks.
The wall decoration with this material, done skillfully, gives its unique character, effectively decorating the interior of the room.
Everyone can achieve such a result: it is enough to adhere to simple recommendations, which will be described in detail below.
To date, there are a considerable number of solutions that allow you to design a brick wall in the living room. If you select those materials that are able to perfectly solve this problem, then their list will look like this:
In a situation when the structure is new, the material in question can be used, as is, after cleaning from small contaminants. As for old buildings, their bare masonry should be removed from the remnants of plaster and other coatings. In the future, the surface must be thoroughly impregnated with a protective compound, significantly extending its operational life.
This material has a lot of undeniable advantages, among which the clarity of lines and a large number of shapes stand out, as well as many textures and color options. Given this circumstance, it is reasonable to use such a brick for decorating fireplaces, columns, niches and other decorative elements of the interior.
The presented option can "boast" of such advantages as practicality, accessibility and ease of use. Another obvious advantage of such a brick is its lightness, which is especially important for decorating plasterboard walls.
The use of this material is justified in situations where the owners of the living room have a minimum of time for its transformation. It is an imitation of brickwork, the hallmark of which is the wealth of the proposed design options.
It is worth adding separately that with the help of “brick-like” wallpapers it is really possible to obtain both a flat and textured surface.
The second solution involves the use of embossed wallpaper - a material that can replace natural brick in the best way.
Practice shows that the use of bricks in the interior of the living room is not always justified. This is due to the specifics of this “industrial” material, ignoring which can hopelessly spoil the interior of the room.
Experts note that the most suitable areas for brick are:
- Loft. In such situations, decorating a wall with a brick is a recognized norm, rooted in the 40s of the last century. The loft style is characterized by rough and poorly processed surfaces, and therefore it most often involves the use of ordinary brick or its high-quality imitation.
- Scandinavian style. A key feature of this direction is naturalness, which makes the use of decorative bricks one of the best solutions. Depending on the design features, such materials can bring a variety of features to the living room interior - from simplicity to nobility.
- Pop Art. This style is interesting for its originality, suggesting a combination of bright colors and original accessories. In such a design, a brick wall can become one of the most remarkable elements, especially if it is white, playing the role of a background for a spectacular decorative composition.
- Art Deco. The presented direction is characterized by a bizarre mixture in which strict outlines, solid materials and ethnic elements are organically combined. In such interiors, brickwork is also very appropriate: as an option, it can be an excellent substitute for a stone surface.
- Mediterranean style. In such cases, the owners of the hall need to rely on comfort and some negligence, which harmoniously combines with luxurious decorative elements. Using a brick in such a living room, you can not only achieve a balance of applied tones, but also get an excellent background for accessories.
- Eclecticism. This style is notable for its skillful combination of many other areas, often related to different countries and eras. Provided that the used decor elements are organically combined with each other, the eclectic interior of the living room will become a real decoration of the apartment. A brick wall, which complements the interior of the transformed premises, also allows this result to be achieved.
In addition, the design of the living room with the described material is relevant for many other popular styles. In particular, the use of bricks involves areas such as Provence, country and kitsch, as well as fusion, effectively combining the features of any, even very dissimilar styles.
Interesting design ideas
To make the brick wall look as organic as possible, bringing beauty and originality to the interior of the living room, the owners of the room should pay special attention to its design.
To solve this problem, taking into account the following useful recommendations may be useful:
- In situations with brick painting, the simplest solution is to use a tone that matches the shade of other walls or is organically combined with it. A good alternative to this solution can be creating contrast.
- One of the most original design options for a brick wall is considered to be an imitation of an aged surface. In order to bring such an idea to life, you can cover the surface with one layer of paint, and then carefully process it with sandpaper. Another solution is crackle - an artificial aging technique that involves the creation of many cracks in the texture.
- Through the use of decorative plaster, you can get a very original relief - provided that only the bricks are processed. Seams in such cases are best left unchanged, preserving the original texture of the masonry.
- In order for the brick wall to look advantageous, it can be varnished. This technique allows you to achieve the best result in situations when light falls on a glossy surface. True, this solution is far from suitable for every interior.
- If the owner of the living room is a supporter of bold contrasts, it is reasonable for him to bet on the allocation of seams. As for the grout colors, most often used to solve this problem, those are black and white.
- To emphasize the beauty of a brick wall, you can use decorative lighting or decorate the surface with an original image.
Experience shows that in a similar way it is realistic to transform any wall of the living room - large or smaller, in whole or in part. A stylish solution such as decorating one of the corners of a room with a brick is also worth mentioning.
If increased attention will be focused on the transformed surface, then it is advisable to choose the wall that is opposite the source of natural light.
In addition, do not overly cover the brick wall with furniture, accessories and other interior elements. Ignoring this recommendation, the homeowners risk reducing the effect of the decorative surface they created.
How to use?
In addition to the aesthetic, the brick wall in the living room plays another role - a functional one, the significance of which is no less.
It can bring a lot of benefits in the following qualities:
- Background for TV, home theater and other multimedia equipment. Brick contrasts very spectacularly with modern devices, and therefore this technique is enjoying growing and fully deserved popularity.
- A partition separating one area of the room from another. Especially advantageous against the background of such an element is the area of the living room intended for relaxation.
- Basis for decorative compositions. Alternatively, artwork or original accessories can be placed on a brick wall.
- Niche. The considered decorative indentation, lined with bricks, is justified to be created in living rooms that differ in sufficient area. Inside the niche, you can place several racks or a whole cupboard that fits organically into the interior of the room.
Another stylish solution is to use a brick wall as the basis for a fireplace, which makes the living room even more comfortable. In addition, such a surface can play the role of a background for one or more shelves with souvenirs located on them.
By betting on decorating the living room wall with a brick, homeowners can realize a lot of their fantasies - from elementary to those of high complexity. To do this, it is enough to comply with the above rules, each of which regularly confirms its viability in practice.
See how to make a brick wall in the interior with your own hands in the next video.