The birth of a child is an important and joyful event in the life of every family. Parents try to acquire the necessary things for their child that will have an attractive appearance and will be reliable and safe during operation.
The highest requirements, as a rule, are presented to a bed. It should be made of natural material, meet standard sizes, have an attractive appearance and, of course, be absolutely safe for the baby. Such reliable safety can provide a special limiter for the bed.
Features, advantages and disadvantages
Limiters for cribs, manufactured by manufacturers, are intended for children of different ages.
Their use as a barrier in a crib has a lot of advantages:
- Side stops tightly fix the mattress and the sheet . Very often, when falling asleep, the baby can be distracted by external stimuli, and the restraints close the review and prevent it from being distracted both during falling asleep and throughout the night. Thanks to soft restraints supplemented by a heat-insulated insert, drafts and cold walls will be a thing of the past.
- Growing up children very often spin and turn in a dream, and therefore can accidentally fall, and the presence of a lateral limiter will prevent a possible fall . The beads save not only from falling, but also from other injuries. Soft stops prevent the baby's arms and legs from passing through the rods installed in the crib.
- In addition to the restrictive function, the sides produced by some manufacturers can be used as storage for your favorite toys .
But there are some negative aspects of using limiters:
- Hard restraints can cause various injuries , especially if the edge is made of battens. The presence of spaces between the slats is an interesting place for the child to explore, as a result of which there is a possibility that the handle or leg may get stuck.
- Soft sides, as a rule, accumulate dust , and this is not very good, especially if the baby is prone to allergic reactions.
- High limiters made of one-piece web prevent air from entering , thereby disrupting ventilation in the crib. In addition, the high closed sides hide from the gaze of the mother of the baby, and in order to see the child, the mother will have to get up and go to the bed. Some babies do not like to fall asleep in a closed and confined space.
All limiters manufactured by manufacturers are divided into stationary and removable options.
Stationary sides are additional elements that are built into the bed structure from two sides and are located along the length of the product. In cots designed for infants, limiters are installed along the entire length, safely limiting the space of the crib.
For older kids who have already learned to walk, the built-in stops are more decorative.
For older kids, manufacturers produce cots, where the restraints have curly cutouts that are used by the kids as a stop, allowing them to climb into the bed without the help of adults. For children of primary school age, the built-in sides do not cover the entire length of the bed and serve more for convenience. Although in bunk beds and loft beds, restraints fulfill their protective function.
Removable stops can be installed both on one side of the bed, when it is installed against the wall, and on both sides, if it is planned to be installed away from the wall, for example, next to an adult bed. In this case, they are an excellent barrier against falls on an adult parental bed.
Universal removable stops are an ideal solution for arranging a berth in any bed, they are easy to fasten and just as easy to clean. The presence in the design of special racks allows you to adjust them in height.
For the smallest soft models of sides are produced. They can cover the crib on four sides, and can only be attached to two long sides. The soft stops mounted on the side are rectangular. A protective pillow board is also found on sale, most often in the form of a square. This limiter is attached using ties to the crib rails.
The choice of the size of the side will depend on the age of the child, the design of the berth, operating conditions and the size of the crib itself. For very young children, models are quite high. The optimal height of the side for the crib size 70x120 and 70x150 should be from 70 to 95 cm.
For older children, you can purchase bumpers with a minimum height. For a bed with a width of 70-95 cm and a length of 190-200 cm, the height of the side should vary between 15-30 cm. This value will not cause him discomfort, but at the same time protect him from a sudden fall.
There are bumpers having a large size that allows you to install them even on double beds measuring 160x200 cm. Such bumpers have a length of 150 to 200 cm and their height reaches 95 cm. The purchase of such bumpers avoids the purchase of an arena. They are easy to install and disassemble just as quickly, and they take up little space during storage.
Limiters, bearing a protective and decorative function, can be made of various materials.
Soft restraints are made of durable cotton fabric. As a filler are used: foam rubber, synthetic winterizer or other soft and voluminous material. Sintepon - a soft hypoallergenic material with high thermal insulation properties, suitable for babies from 0 to 6 months.
Soft, but at the same time, elastic foam rubber is most often used as a filler. For convenience, it is placed in removable covers.
As a rule, such fillers are decorated with various inserts or applications.
Sometimes in such sides, some solid material is chosen as the base. A solid base is upholstered with fabric and filler and as a result a more durable, but at the same time comfortable and safe option is obtained.
Hard edges can be made of wood, plastic or metal. As a rule, they have the form of either a continuous web, or a rack type, or web with curly cuts.
- Wooden options have a fairly solid structure, are environmentally friendly and can be installed in three different positions. Producers use species such as oak, pine, maple or ash. All products are thoroughly processed. Without fail they are polished, coated with varnish or paint that does not contain lead and other harmful components.
- Metal sides are quite reliable and durable. Metal is a cold material and therefore it is most often used in combination with other materials.
- The design of the combined sides can consist of various materials: solid wood, particleboard, plastic, metal in combination with soft foam and fabric.
Colors and Design
Today, manufacturers produce borders that vary in shape, material and color. When choosing, parents most often focus on the gender of the child. For girls, the pink side is most often purchased, and for boys, the blue option. But in addition to the gender of the child, you need to focus on the style of the room and the color of the furniture.
If desired, you can purchase a simple rectangular-shaped limiter, but decorated with pockets, applications and many other elements that give the product an original look. There are options in the form of animals, fairy-tale characters, flowers and many other items.
Due to the wide color gamut and the variety of shapes, you can choose a limiter that will perfectly harmonize with your interior, perform a protective function and simultaneously develop the baby.
Most of the parents who purchased bed restraints for their children were satisfied with this purchase. Many agree that the limiters not only protect the child from injury, but also perform a protective function in relation to the environment.
In addition, many parents note that their children are very fond of looking at the drawings on the sides and react to them from almost the first month. Most mummies note that caring for the soft sides is quite easy, they are very washable.
The most famous manufacturer today is the Ikea company, which produces both soft and hard sides. The Himmelsk soft model is suitable for cots with an upper bottom position. The length of the product is 120 cm, the height is 60 cm. It is attached to the bed from the inside with the help of reliable fasteners with Velcro. The model can be machine washed and ironed at low temperature conditions.
The hard edge of the Vicare line has dimensions of 90x7.5 cm and is a rectangular bar that is attached to the bed using metal clamping bars. This model is suitable for older children, perfectly protecting them from falling to the floor, and at the same time does not prevent the baby from climbing into the crib.
Recently, the Tomy barrier from Chinese manufacturers has been very popular. It consists of a metal frame lined with soft fabric. This model is suitable for children from one year of age and can be installed under the mattress on a bed with a width of 70 cm. The part of the structure that passes under the mattress is held in place due to the weight of the mattress and the baby. If desired, the design leans down due to folding railings.
The longest stopper from French manufacturers has a length of 150 cm and a height of 44 cm. The Safety 1 St model is made of a metal frame lined with breathable fabric. This side is the most suitable option for mattresses from 157 cm long. If necessary, it can easily be folded back.
How to choose?
In order to choose the right limiter, you need to pay attention to some aspects. These include the age of the child, the size of the crib and the design of the room:
- Any limiter must first be selected by age. For babies from 0 to 7 months, a soft fabric restraint is installed, installed along the perimeter of the crib from the inside. When choosing it, it is better to pay attention to models made from natural fabrics with reliable fastening.
Decorative ties, buttons and Velcro should be on the outside and be inaccessible to the baby's handles. The coloring should not be too bright, but too faded will not become a real developmental subject.
- For older children who have learned to walk and know how to climb into their own crib, small height limiters are suitable. For older kids, the best option would be a side that does not cover the entire length of the bed, but only part of it. Such an arrangement perfectly fulfills a protective function, but at the same time allows the child to climb into his berth without outside help.
- When choosing a limiter, you must also take into account the size of the berth. Manufacturers produce many removable models, adapted to various sizes of beds.
- In addition, when buying, you must pay attention to the components. The design of any limiter must be durable, and the surface of the parts without crevices and gaps. If metal elements are present, they must be covered with plugs or recessed into the product.
When choosing a rack limiter, you must pay attention to the distance between the strips. This value should not exceed 6 cm.
- And, of course, when choosing a limiter, you need to consider the design of the room. Its color and shape should maximally correspond to the general style of the room.
Ideas in the interior
Limiters for cots look great in the interior of any room. If the crib is installed against a wall or window, then one stop is enough. It can be soft removable or hard in the form of a bar.
If the baby's bed is installed in the center of the room, then one side will not be enough, it is better if there are two of them. The shape and color of the limiter always harmonizes with the crib itself.
For the smallest, the crib can be installed anywhere in the room, soft sides installed around the perimeter will protect the baby from drafts, bruises and bright light.
You can learn more about the Babyhome Side Led Navy bed limiter with a night light from the following video.