Barberry is considered one of the most beautiful ornamental shrubs. It will perfectly fit into any landscape composition. Modern breeding has more than 170 varieties of culture. Barberis Tunberg's “Red Rocket” looks great as hedges, flower beds, in group and single plantings. Gardeners prefer this variety not only because of the spectacular appearance of barberry, but also due to the unpretentiousness and endurance of the plant.
Barberis of Thunberg “Red rocket” refers to columnar shrubs, it is widespread throughout almost the entire globe, although it is not too popular in our country. Seedlings can not be bought in every store for gardeners, and the price for it is quite high. Winter hardiness allows the shrub to tolerate frosts well. Due to its unpretentiousness and beauty, the variety is gradually becoming more widespread in Russia.
This variety of barberry has a bright appearance. It is distinguished by the following characteristics:
- purple foliage;
- fruits are racemose, scarlet;
- refers to tall varieties;
- grows to a maximum of 2 m;
- the crown grows in diameter by more than a meter;
- flowering period - May and June;
- the flowers are small, bright yellow;
- flowers are collected in cystic inflorescences;
- shoots grow vertically, elongated, thin;
- branching is not developed;
- the bark of young animals is brown with red, in mature bushes - without a reddish tone;
- large foliage, elongated;
- the color of the foliage varies depending on the amount of the sun - red-green, dark purple.
The shrub loves the sun, grows well on fertile soil, but is generally unpretentious, it is not afraid of drought, but waterlogging is destructive. It fits perfectly into the landscape, in any floral and woody compositions, decorates alpine slides, stone gardens. Since the plant tolerates pruning well, it can be given any shape.
It is important to remember that the bush is rather thorny, therefore, the ennobling work is carried out with gloves and protective clothing.
Landing and care
A huge advantage of the Red Rocket variety is its frost resistance, which is why it is so attractive to gardeners of different climatic zones. Even serious subzero temperatures do not allow the plant to freeze and die. The best place for growth is the hills of all kinds, slopes. Planting in a lowland has a bad effect on the growth and development of barberry, since water stagnates there. Good illumination is a necessary condition for the qualitative development of the plant. If you put Red Rocket in the shade, it will lose the lion's share of its decorative qualities.
The plant is not afraid of drafts, only young shrubs require shelters for the winter. Especially if they grow in a region with severe weather. To do this, use lapnik, fallen leaves, tarpaulin, burlap, peat, sawdust. If the winter is snowy, an adult plant can calmly winter without shelter.
The choice of location depends not only on the sun, but also on the soil. Despite its unpretentiousness, Red Rocket does not tolerate clay-type soils, but the degree of acidity is not important if it does not exceed 7.5 pH. If the acidity is too high, lime should be added. Planting is carried out by means of a seedling, a handle with a well-developed root system. The optimal planting time is autumn, during the period of leaf fall, and in spring, before the buds open. Autumn has a better effect on the rooting process, spring - on the rapid growth of barberry.
Recesses for landing can be of different sizes:
- if seedlings are planted up to 3 years of age, the width and depth of the pit is about 25 cm;
- seedlings of adult shrubs (up to 7 years) are located in pits about half a meter;
- hedges can be created by planting plants in a ditch 40 to 40.
Deepenings are prepared the day before the event; compost with earth or sand with humus is introduced into them. Then the seedling is placed, it is filled up with soil, rammed, moistened and mulched.
- barberry is fed for the first time after it reaches the age of 2 years;
- nitrogen compounds, for example, diluted urea, are used as the first fertilizer;
- in the same way barberry is fed at the age of five;
- Before flowering, complex compounds are introduced annually, the composition can be of a universal type;
- natural dressings are well tolerated, for example litter, manure in diluted form.
- the bush does not really like water, especially in excess;
- if the summer period is rainy, watering is minimized;
- in a period of drought, moisturize 2-3 times in 7 days;
- one bush requires a bucket of water;
- irrigation level should be monitored and varied depending on weather conditions.
- For the first time, sanitary pruning is already done for a mature shrub;
- this type of trimming is carried out annually;
- You can do this with a pruner, brush cutter, hacksaw for the garden;
- it is very important to protect your hands from thorns, otherwise the work will be quite difficult;
- only dry, old branches near the ground are removed;
- after this, part of the young shoots are also cut off so that the plant rejuvenates;
- in addition to anti-aging trim, decorative is also carried out to give the desired shape;
- sanitary and decorative trimming is carried out as necessary;
- pruning can be in spring or after flowering.
They propagate barberry Red Rocket in different ways, equally successful methods using:
- layering and processes;
The most popular methods of reproduction are cuttings, seminal, shoots. But the division of the bush is rarely used, due to the complexity of the procedure and the high risk that the bush will not take root. It is used only by very experienced gardeners.
Barberry is most often propagated by root layers and processes, this method is effective, efficient and uncomplicated if you use seedlings with a strong, powerful rhizome.
A huge plus of this method is that the maternal qualities of the variety are fully preserved.
Cuttings are another method of reproduction with high efficiency. You can cut the stalk in any season, with the exception of winter. Cuttings cut in the summer are more viable and take root better, as a rule, green cuttings are used. To root tree cuttings, the beginning of spring or the beginning of autumn is chosen.
The third most popular method is seed, but it has plenty of minuses. First of all, this is a low level of germination, but even those shoots that sprout are unlikely to retain the characteristics of the variety. The biggest minus is that seedlings are grown to a full state for about 2 years. Sowing occurs in greenhouse conditions, in a container under the film. After emergence, it is necessary to ventilate and moisten them regularly.
Diseases and Pests
Barberry “Red rocket” has good endurance and rarely gets sick, pest attacks are also rare. However, you should not be completely calm, you must constantly check the plant and carry out preventive measures. The possibility of infection still exists.
The most common ailments of barberry.
- the first sign - foliage wrinkles and dries in those areas that are sick;
- pests so negatively affect development that the kidneys are not laid for the next season;
- shrubs may lose decorativeness and shape;
- for the preventive control of aphids use tobacco irrigation and treatment with a solution of laundry soap.
- this insect eats the fruit;
- able to slow down the development of shrubs;
- in order to save the plant, it is necessary to carry out spraying with means of “Funafon”, “Decis”.
- fungal infection;
- the main sign of infection is a coating of a snow-white appearance on foliage;
- the plant must be carefully treated without delaying this event;
- use preparations containing sulfur;
- if this is not done, the spores will ripen, and next season the whole bush will be captured by the fungus;
- treat the plant in stages, the first time during the opening of the buds, the second after flowering, the third in the fall, at the very end of the season;
- all infected areas are cleaned immediately.
- a sign of this disease is the spread of spots on the leaves;
- shrub development stops;
- an infected plant may not tolerate winter;
- treatment is carried out with compositions containing copper chloride.
- drying is associated with a fungus that draws vitality from a plant;
- the shoots dry, and you can save the bush only by cutting branches;
- in spring, barberry should be sprayed with preparations with copper.
Landscape design application
It is not surprising that the spectacular bush is in demand precisely in the decoration of the landscape. Bright purple bushes look great in company with other varieties of barberry, especially other shades.
The picturesque plant immediately catches the eye, so it looks good in the center of the composition.
Suitable for the formation of hedges, the column-shaped crown looks great both in pruning and naturally.
You can safely use barberry “Red rocket” for the decor of alpine hills, stone gardens, mixborders.
Often you can find single plants planted in pots, in the group it grows actively and often draws all the attention to itself.
Barberry allows you to fully realize your wildest design fantasies.
For more information about this barberry, see the next video.