All repairs must be carefully planned and the design should be thought out in advance. During the repair, a huge number of questions arise, one of the most common - first glue the wallpaper or lay the laminate? Please note that professional builders involved in repairs do not always choose the right sequence of work. Often the order depends on what material was delivered faster, as well as the desire to complete the work faster.
To understand what kind of work to do in the first place, you need to understand what each stage is.
Features of wallpapering:
- Alignment of the walls. Old plaster is removed, and all defects are plastered with new material. Minor flaws are ground. During such work, all the dust and dirt falls to the floor, frequent cases of the fall of various tools;
- Primer surface - necessary to strengthen the coating, as well as to ensure maximum adhesion of the adhesive. The acrylic primer is very sprayed during operation and it is rather difficult to wash it;
- Cutting and gluing wallpapers. Wallpaper is cut and glue is applied to their surface, and then they are glued to the wall.
Based on this, it is clear that work on wallpapering in any case will leave its mark on the surface of the floor.
Features of laying laminate
Floor work is carried out as follows:
- A polyethylene backing, cork and so on are applied to the floor. The substrate is cut according to the perimeter of the floor;
- Small laths or the remains of the laminate are set against the wall, which create a space to compensate for the expansion of the flooring;
- The first strip is laid - the final board is cut so that 8-10 mm remain to the wall. free space
- The next row begins with a segment. When the row is ready, the click lock is inserted into the grooves of the adjacent row. Rows stacked at an angle to each other;
- The final row is cut along the length and width of the board;
- At the end of the work, the wedges are removed, and the space between the wall and the laminate is hidden behind the baseboard
Laying a laminate does not threaten the coating of the walls, the only thing that can spoil the wallpaper is dust, which can easily be removed with a vacuum cleaner.
Please note that if you first glue the wallpaper, and then proceed with laying the laminate, you must completely ventilate the room so that there is no humidity in it. If there is a high level of humidity, then cheap brands of laminate flooring can deform or change their sizes.
Is it possible to do wall cladding after laying the laminate?
From the technical side, you can glue the wallpaper after laying the laminate, but this solution is not entirely correct. When working with wallpaper, you can damage the surface of the laminate. The adhesive used can adversely affect the appearance of the floor covering, resulting in stains and other defects. That is why the advice of almost all experienced professionals agree on one opinion - only after gluing the wallpaper should you start laying the laminate.
If you have already begun the repair of the apartment on the contrary, that is, with the finish of the floor, do not worry. The main thing is that all work is done with the utmost accuracy. Cover the floor with foil, this will help to avoid surface damage. Also remember that the floor can easily be damaged by furniture on metal legs. During its transportation, scratches may remain, the film will not protect from their formation. In this situation, you need to use something more durable.
The correct repair procedure
It doesn’t matter if you lay laminate or linoleum, the order of work remains the same:
- the first step is preparing the walls - leveling, putty. The quality of wallpapering depends on this stage;
- screed or creation of a black floor;
- Wallpapering is carried out;
- after the wallpaper has completely dried, you can begin to lay the laminate. At the end, the baseboard and other decorative elements are attached.
But this does not mean that you must follow this particular course of action. For example, if you have already bought a laminate, but you have not decided on the choice of wallpaper, then do not delay the repair.
If it so happened that you first made the flooring and only then started wallpapering, you should adhere to the following rules so as not to damage the laminate:
- cover the entire surface of the laminate with film, paper or some kind of fabric;
- Do not rush to do the work quickly, most importantly, do everything with high quality;
- when transporting furniture, be very careful; put on cardboard legs on metal legs.
These simple but effective rules will help prevent damage to the floor surface.
Pros and cons of various methods
Each specialist has his own opinion about what to do before - wallpapering or laying a laminate. The decision does not depend on the professionalism of workers, it depends on the convenience, availability of materials and other factors.
One of the main nuances that affect the sequence of work is the amount of garbage that will be generated during the repair process. Please note that during the laying of the laminate there will be less debris than from other repairs. That is why experts recommend ahead of time to “skip” more complex work with a lot of garbage, and then take up cosmetic processes.
How to choose wallpaper and laminate in the same style?
Each person has their own tastes and design requirements, so there are no templates for creating an interior room. A large selection of building materials allows you to please every buyer. Before laying a laminate or laying tiles, you need to decide on the design so that all elements of the room look harmonious:
- Classic style. A room in this style involves the use of dark flooring and light wallpaper. In the classic interior, exclusively valuable wood species are used, or their imitation. For a large room, it is recommended to choose cold shades of flooring;
- Provence. It is appropriate to use an imitation of an old light wood, the wallpaper should be a similar shade, a tone lighter;
- Minimalism. In creating the design of the room in the style of minimalism, a pronounced color is used, as a rule, this is black and white. You can choose any main color;
- High-tech implies the use of cold and restrained shades of laminate; imitation of natural stone or a metallic shade will look beautiful;
- Art Deco involves the use of saturated color flooring.
For a bedroom or a children's room, choose a cladding of calm shades that imitate light woods.
We select a laminate
To the interior of the room was harmonious, great attention should be paid to the choice of laminate.
Below are a few recommendations that make the design original:
- The floor must be consistent with the general color scheme, experts recommend choosing warm colors. For example, if you chose yellow wallpaper, then the laminate should be golden or reddish. If the walls are cold shades, respectively, the laminate should be the same;
- Please note that the laminate should not "catch the eye", in no case do not choose bright colors. The flooring should simply shade and emphasize the main colors. If you still decide to choose a bright cladding, then consult with a specialist. The blue floor, silver wallpaper and blue curtains will look good;
- Red laminate is in perfect harmony with a white or beige shade.
Laminate should not be the same color as the wallpaper, otherwise all surfaces will merge into a single whole. Shades should be slightly darker or lighter. When thinking over the design of the room, you do not need to choose many primary colors, there should be no more than three. Those who lay laminate flooring in exotic colors should remember that floors change less often than wallpaper, and bright colors quickly bother. Soon you will want to make the flooring in a calmer shade.
Light floors visually enlarge the room, so they will be appropriate in a small room. Design selection is a complex process that requires maximum attention. If you don’t have any original ideas, contact experienced designers for help. They will create you an interior in which it will always be comfortable and cozy.
Everyone will decide whether to take advantage of our styling recommendations or not, the most important thing is that the result will please you - you get a holistic flooring and wallpaper that has retained its appearance.
About what to do first - to glue the wallpaper or lay the laminate, see the next video.