Many designers offer non-standard solutions for the kitchen interior. One of the ergonomic and popular ideas was the sink for washing dishes by the window. The article will examine in more detail the pros and cons of this spatial solution.
In Europe, such a decision is not uncommon. Maybe because they have more room for imagination or lack of standard layouts of apartments. In any case, they see this as their pluses, which are worth paying close attention to.
- Useful area increase. A sink takes up a significant amount of space in the kitchen, which usually reduces the size of the countertop. The kitchen sink, combined with the windowsill, allows you to increase the working area, making the cooking process more comfortable. In addition, the lockers, which are located in the corner, are now always freely available at any time. Even if one person washes the dishes, the other will be able to freely use any part of the kitchen set.
- Reduce electricity consumption. The proximity to the window allows for a longer time not to use artificial lighting. Daylight is both more pleasant and more economical, and electricity bills can be noticeably reduced.
- Easy removal of excess air humidity. It is enough to open the window while washing dishes, and excess moisture will evaporate much faster. This point is very important, since mold and fungus often form in the kitchen precisely because of the increased humidity.
- Psychological comfort. Washing dishes is not the most pleasant thing for any person. During this work, it is much more pleasant to look out the window than on a bare wall or rest your forehead against a cabinet with dishes.
Thus, there are four rather significant advantages of a sink near a window in the kitchen.
Thanks to them, many people decide to implement a complex and expensive project. But the disadvantages of such a layout also exist.
Consider the disadvantages of planning the sink at the window in the kitchen.
- A difficult project. It is quite difficult for a simple layman to think through all the nuances of the future interior with a sink in place of a regular windowsill. To take into account all the problems of such a permutation, it is necessary to contact specialists.
- Difficult installation. In ordinary apartments, water pipes run far from the window. To perform a rearrangement of the shell, quite extensive work by professionals will be required.
- The solution is with heating. As a rule, a heating radiator is located under the window. Installation of the sink will require a solution so that the heat freely enters the room.
- Additional material costs. Moving a sink to a window is hard work. Therefore, significant cash costs are inevitable here.
- Damage to surrounding materials. This location is characterized by temperature differences. In the immediate vicinity, the window is quite cold, but the heating underneath heats the air. The additionally joined increased humidity enhances the effect of these phenomena. Wallpaper can peel off, crack countertops, plaster fall off.
- Dried spray on the window. Since, instead of the apron, there is now a window in front of the sink, no matter how far the faucet is from the opening, the spray will fly there. To wipe them off is not the most pleasant occupation.
- A tandem with a sink can only form a plastic window. Wooden frames deteriorate from dampness, which will prevent you from installing a sink for washing dishes next to such a window.
- The dishwasher can no longer be placed on top of the sink. If, in a typical washing arrangement, clean dishes are usually placed in the cabinet on top, then now he will have to look for another location. This is not quite familiar and convenient, since the trajectory of movement in the kitchen is now increasing.
These are the flaws present in kitchen sinks near the window.
They must be taken into account in order not to be bitterly disappointed in your project.
How to transfer?
All the subtleties and nuances of such a redevelopment is quite difficult to take into account. The project is time consuming and costly. It is necessary to understand in advance whether you will overpower it, or it is better to come to terms with the traditional arrangement of the sink.
- The kitchen set must be planned so that the height of the countertops does not exceed the height of the windowsill. Otherwise, you have to redo the window opening. For a private house, such an operation is quite possible, but not for a multi-apartment building, since the facade of the building cannot be changed.
- It is necessary to supply water, guided by this rule: for good flow you need a slope of 3-5 cm per meter of pipe. Otherwise, regular blockages can be expected. This can be avoided by placing a special chopper in the sink. But such a purchase requires additional costs.
- In order for the radiator to continue to perform its function, it is necessary to design the sink near the window with grilles that allow heat to pass through. Moving the battery to another location threatens with dampness and cold.
- The choice of sink and countertop should be especially careful. It’s best to get the sink as deep as possible to avoid splashing. The countertop must be plastic or natural stone, otherwise it may swell and deteriorate.
- The installed sink and faucet must not interfere with the opening of the window. To do this, you need to think about the optimal distance in advance. Another option is to choose a special folding or pivoting crane.
Planning the interior of a kitchen with a sink at the window depends on many factors: the area of the room, the shape, the planned budget, the preferred color scheme. Rectangular rooms with a short side along the window opening are easily approximated to a square shape. For this, the countertop with a sink is made wider.
And for square rooms P-shaped kitchen furniture is perfect.
Consider ideas that may interest connoisseurs of the beautiful even in the kitchen. Design decisions with a sink in the kitchen near the window are very diverse.
- A wide tabletop under a tree and a sink just to the side of the window. A cozy and successful solution for a large kitchen space. The sink is quite deep, and the distance from the glass is maximum, which will not allow splashes to reach the window.
- Large corner headset with black countertop and steel sink near the window. A wide window opening is well located above the countertop. The sink is also very deep and large.
- Gray sink on a white background countertops. The square sink located far from the window fits very compactly into the surrounding interior. It serves not only as a place for washing dishes, but also as a kind of color accent.
- A giant sink in a large kitchen. A wide square of metal, in the shape of which the sink is made, looks very stylish, coupled with a black countertop. The dark interior is diluted with light walls and a landscape outside the window.
- Sink near the window, extended forward. This technique perfectly solves the problems of small spaces, as it increases the distance from the sink to the window. The white shell and tree are great companions.
- Sink with two taps in front of a tall window. For those who do not need one sink tap, it is easy to make two, especially if space allows. So, it’s easy to cook dinner together and wash dishes twice as fast after using such a convenient solution.
- Black sink of unusual shape in front of a narrow window. The white countertop creates a contrast that beats the design decision. The dark sink echoes the brown window frame. Visual communication helps integrate the interior.
- U-shaped high-tech kitchen with sink in front of the window. Black-and-white tones and a tabletop interspersed cause cosmic associations. The ultra-modern sink and faucet together with the large window look simply enchanting.
An overview of the sink in the kitchen near the window, as well as useful tips, see the video below.