If a residential building or any other building has a terrace, when designing a project, you must definitely consider the feasibility of installing a fence. A well-thought-out choice of type, material and installation method is the key to the functionality of the fence.
The terrace fencing consists of two structural elements: the frame and its filling. How they will look, primarily depends on the functions they perform.
- The protective function consists in opposing natural phenomena (as a result of drafts, dust) or preventing the penetration of animals (relevant when the house is located in a forest belt and there are enclosures and livestock buildings on the adjacent territory).
- The decorative function is important when the fence is one of the decorations not only at home, but also on the land, which make up a harmonious ensemble.
- Separation function: even the most symbolic version of the terrace fence can act as a kind of border, which is necessary for psychological comfort, restricting access to outsiders or the movement of children (especially small ones).
Accordingly, the fence can be permanent or temporary (they are installed during any events or with the beginning of the summer season, if we are talking about the cottage). Their difference lies in the method of attaching to the terrace floor and reliability.
In appearance, fencing is divided into:
- open (consisting of longitudinal and transverse parts - columns, strips located at a certain distance between each other);
- closed (when the space between the supports and racks is filled completely with sheet materials or rack materials, fixed close to each other).
In many ways, the choice of fencing depends on the location of the terrace, the way it is used and the fit to the home. The higher it is located, the more stringent requirements must be imposed on the enclosing structure: it must be safe, durable and reliable. If children are constantly playing here or a dining table is installed, it is better to give preference to more practical options.
In addition, do not forget that if the terrace is located along the front of the building and is the face of the building, its fence should be well monitored, it should be easy to clean and not require large repair costs. In the event that initially there was no fence in the plan, but subsequently there was a need for its installation, you should not choose a model, the installation of which will require large costs and significant overhaul.
Terrace fencing can be classified not only in appearance, but also in the material of manufacture. Various materials are used for their manufacture.
- Wood. The main requirement for it is density (for this, species such as oak, beech, birch, pine) and its resistance to weather conditions (to increase this figure, it must be impregnated with a moisture-repellent composition). In addition to natural beauty, derkvo is easy to process and can be covered with enamels and varnishes. Instead of wood, bamboo, vine and other materials are often used, from which wicker hedges can be made.
- The stone is natural and artificial , can withstand heavy loads and is durable. Of the minuses of the stone can be noted a lot of weight, which is associated with the complexity of transportation and installation. And the basis for such a structure should be of adequate strength. A common option is to build a fence as a continuation of the foundation.
- The metal is not inferior in strength to the above materials. In the processed version, it can satisfy almost any taste. Polished or matte parts may have metallic shades or painted. Plenty of room for imagination opens up the possibility of giving any form and use of forged elements.
- WPC (wood-polymer composite) - a cheaper substitute for wood products, can completely imitate it. Resistant to any weather events due to chemical additives. Popularity is also due to affordability.
- Plastic is a more fragile material, does not withstand loads, for its use on the street you can use only those types that are not subject to ultraviolet and temperature fluctuations (polycarbonate and the like). But it has a greater choice in color palette and relief, is easily transported and fixed.
- Glass is used less often mainly for upper terraces. Its alternative is transparent and translucent plastic.
Fencing is very rarely only plastic, glass, wooden or metal. To reduce the cost, simplify the design and speed up the installation process, more durable materials are used for the supports, while the distance between them is filled with less durable. For reasons of strength proceed when choosing the upper part (railing). Another selection criterion is the possibility of processing the material. To make the structure more interesting, between a brick or metal posts you can stretch a metal mesh or a wooden grate, fix the forged composition, insert slats made of plastic or timber of an intricate shape.
The parameters of all construction objects are determined by the relevant norms and rules. Any object above 60 cm should have barriers. If the difference between the ground and the terrace or its levels is more than a meter, the fence should not be lower than 90 cm, since such a place can be considered potentially dangerous. If we consider a site located at the level of the second floor or on the roof of the building (at a distance of about 2 meters from the ground), the height of the building envelope should increase accordingly and be at least 110 cm. The width between the supports should be about 120 cm. For plastic materials this the distance may be shorter. Of course, compliance with this requirement can break the symmetry. In this case, it is better to divide the distance into smaller equal segments.
Special safety requirements. 1 linear meter of construction must withstand a load of about 300 kilograms. Hazardous materials are not permissible or must be replaced (for example, tempered glass is more durable, and it is more difficult to hurt it if it is destroyed). Double brackets to posts and other supporting objects are welcome. For elevated terraces, in accordance with the standard, only metal should be used. The filling of the frame must be continuous (sheet materials are a priority) or at least consist of both longitudinal and transverse elements. The longitudinal-transverse arrangement prevents the loss of children or animals. In addition, so that the child could not get stuck, the distance between the elements should be at least 10 cm. Yes, and the crossbars should be located in such a way that they could not be climbed with the help of them.
Of course, if you can get off the terrace with just one step, you can fence it in any suitable way. But in the event that falling from it is dangerous, it is better to take care of observing all the rules, since they impede the creation of situations in which you and your loved ones may suffer.
Do not think that there are few options for fencing for the terrace. Their diversity mainly depends on the decor of the basic elements and their harmonious combination.
Filling the space in the frame of an open fence can be:
- vertical (a striking example are balusters fixed between the base and the railing);
- horizontal (when the slats are located between the columns parallel to the floor, where the top can be a support for the hands);
- cross (filling details intersect, forming a pattern, strengthen or reduce the possibility of penetration between them);
- combined (when the filling between the columns alternates depending on the artistic design or design features of the terrace).
The most pronounced part of the fence is the space between the base of the fence and the handrail. There are several types of balusters.
They may be:
- flat or voluminous;
- relief (with openwork or blind carving, chiseled, curly).
To give the fence greater decorative value, cabinets can be added to the balustrade, with which you can replace columns or even columns of different widths and shapes. An alternative to balusters are shields, panels, longitudinal strips and other decorative elements, which fill the distance between the columns. From suitable materials, you can create abstract compositions, panels with images of animate and inanimate nature. And the pillars themselves may not even exist if you make a low fence made of brick or stone - in this case, the roof supports can be mounted directly into it.
The laconic option in the form of glass or plastic is more modern. Of course, a transparent weightless fence will in no way affect the appearance of the structure, especially if it does not have a railing or pronounced supports. But the color, and even with a glossy surface in any case will not go unnoticed. A brilliant chrome detail will be a spectacular addition.
The fence can repeat the shape of the terrace or have any other configuration.
- Straightforward options are the most familiar. Usually the enclosed area has the correct shape in the form of one of the geometric figures, with walls located on one or two sides, and the fence repeats its contour.
- Radius models are made in the form of a circle or a semicircle (the site is full or some part of it). But even an ordinary rectangular terrace can be diversified by a wave-like fence.
- Curvilinear variations: modern materials and methods for their processing allow you to build structures of almost any shape in accordance with the designer's intention.
Particular attention should be paid if steps go to the terrace. For more comfortable movement on them, convenient support for the hands (railings) are required. It is better if the top of the fence is decorated with handrails, as with the railing, except that in the first case they can be narrower.
So that all the details of the house and its surroundings are in harmony with each other, it is important to adhere to one style when choosing them. For a country house, this may be the appropriate direction, reminiscent of a ranch, a village house or a medieval mansion. In the city, the terrace can be located on the roof, above the garage or underground parking. This saves space, but also the fencing in this case should be more durable and preferably solid.
A special place is occupied by multi-level terraces. Linking all the levels together can be a wave-like barrier. It looks interesting cascade of fences of different heights. With the help of rails of different heights, you can allocate a place on the veranda for relaxing, eating, water procedures. In these places, to create the appropriate atmosphere, it is possible to more densely place material of a different color or texture.
A win-win option - decorating the fence with lights. They can be fixed on posts or supports. The LED strip can be laid along its entire length and hidden at the base or under the handrails. In some cases, plants, furniture, curtains, textiles and other items that your imagination will point to can be used as a temporary option for the fence.
Browse the wooden terrace in the video below.