Super-cascading petunia is a beautiful street plant that immediately admires with its flexible vines and chic flowering. It has several varieties and certain subtleties in its cultivation, which must be taken into account if you want to become the owner of this beautiful and healthy plant.
Super-cascading petunia is a plant that was obtained in the process of crossing. The difference from the usual flower of this species is that its stems are long, some of them can reach 2 meters. Ampelic petunia has a wide variety of shades that amaze the imagination with its brightness and richness.
The stems themselves, in addition to length and high flexibility, also perfectly retain their shape throughout their lives. At the same time, it is not necessary to use any special supports and holding devices.
The duration of flowering, as well as its intensity, depend directly on the selected variety of super-cascade plants. A distinctive and key feature of drooping petunia is its increased resistance to cold temperatures and other adverse conditions.
Currently, supercascading petunia is actively grown not only in private areas: it can often be seen in the landscaping of balconies and loggias, as well as parks and squares.
Today, the shelves of specialized stores offer customers a huge abundance of various varieties of cascading and super-cascading petunias. The most popular varieties are presented below.
- "F1" blue and salmon petunia. This plant has dark blue, velvet or silver and dark lilac, very large flowers that adorn the stems from late June to mid September. Such a supercascading petunia is not only a very long flower-bearing period, but also long and thick stems.
The plant is perfect for creating single compositions, as well as for decorating flower beds and pavilions.
- "Burgundy F1." Red with maroon tint and terry surface of petunia. It has compact sizes of leaves and stems. The height of the bush can reach 30 cm, and the length of its stems is no more than 70 cm. The leaves are oval in shape and have a soft, pleasant to the touch surface. The flower of this variety has been widely used in the design of loggias and balconies, as well as the creation of hanging flower pots. It is beautiful and attractive in itself, and in combination with petunia of other varieties and colors.
- "Plum wave." The most unpretentious plant from this group. Not demanding on intense lighting, able to withstand even small frosts down to -3 degrees. This is a pink, large-flowered petunia with stems up to 15 cm high, and their length can reach 60 cm. The adult flower itself resembles a ball - a flower sphere. That is why it is often used for decorating and decorating loggias, flowerpots and decorating street poles or lanterns.
- White super cascading petunia. One of the most valuable flower varieties of this species. Its distinctive feature is super-flexible stems, as well as the large-caliber diameter of the bells themselves - it can reach 15 cm. Purple petunia also belongs to super-valuable varieties. It, like white, has large flowers, long and flexible stems reaching one and a half meters. The only difference is the color of the bells.
- “Silver Tide F1” and “Purple Tide F1 . ” Two varieties from the Tide series, which were especially fond of simple flower growers and professional botanists. A distinctive feature of these plants is the abundance of flowers - up to 50 bells of rather large diameter can form on one stem, as well as a wide range of shades, long and curly stems up to one and a half meters long. In addition, the varieties calmly tolerate fairly strong temperature extremes.
A few words must be said about the “Mona Lisa F1”. This is a real breakthrough in breeding supercascading petunias. The plant is distinguished by an abundance of bell flowers, of which there are so many that they almost completely hide the creeper stems of the flower itself.
At home, you can grow any of the above varieties of this unique cascading plant. The main thing is to follow all the rules described below.
The subtleties of landing
In order to get a beautiful and healthy, and most importantly, elegantly flowering plant, you need to remember some nuances.
- This flower is extremely demanding on the composition and quality of the soil. That is why experts recommend purchasing the substrate in a ready-to-use form.
- It is important to choose the right sowing capacity - it should not be less than 5 liters. In this case, no more than 3 plants can be planted in a capacity of 10 l at a time.
- Be sure to put expanded clay drainage on the bottom of the tank.
- If cloudy days prevail after sowing and the daylight hours are less than 14 hours, additional lighting sources must be used.
- It is recommended to purchase seeds in specialized stores. It is advisable to choose those whose shelf life expires as soon as possible.
Sowing petunias at home is carried out from mid-February to the end of March. Step-by-step instructions for sowing seeds of supercascade petunia at home involves the following actions:
- the prepared container is filled 1.5 cm with a drainage mixture;
- soil is poured on top so that up to a centimeter of free space remains to the top edge of the container;
- moisten the soil with warm water and lay seeds on its surface with a needle;
- spray the seed material slightly with a spray gun;
- from above the container with crops is covered either with a lid from the container, or with a film or glass;
- the container is cleaned in a room with good intense lighting and with a temperature of about 23-25 degrees Celsius.
In the future, care for the crops of supercascade petunia is the same as for its other species - regular moderate irrigation, backlighting and regular ventilation for 10-15 minutes daily. Mass shoots should appear after 7, a maximum of 14 days. If they are not, then sowing should be repeated, but with new seeds and in a different container.
If desired, peat tablets can be used for sowing. To do this, they must be soaked in warm water, then set in special pallets. Then put 3 seeds on each tablet.
Basic care and shelter is the same as in the case of sowing the material in a standard container with soil.
It is not enough to plant seeds of supercascade petunia, it is necessary to care for them correctly and comprehensively. Only in this case, you can count on getting a beautiful and healthy plant.
To obtain strong and healthy plants, the following recommendations must be observed.
- To remove completely shelter from containers is possible only when the leaves of seedlings will firmly touch it.
- Now the key attention should be focused precisely on the irrigation of the flower. It is carried out either by pouring water under the root, or using a watering can with a narrow nose. In the second case, each seedling is watered strictly under the root.
- When the first three true leaves appear, the plants dive. This step is skipped if the seeds were sown in peat tablets. The pick is carried out twice. The second time a month after the first transplant.
At this point, it is very important to prevent the plant from over-releasing side shoots. To do this, carefully monitor that during watering the water does not fall on the leaves themselves, as well as the temperature. During the day, it should not exceed +20 degrees, and at night +15.
Also, a week after each dive, seedlings of supercascading petunia should be fed with any complex fertilizer, in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. If all recommendations are correctly followed, the flower will be ready for planting at a permanent place in late May or early June.
Behind an adult plant
It is necessary to transplant adult supercascading petunia into pots or open ground, taking into account the fact that no more than 3-4 plants are planted per 1 square meter. Particular attention at this time is given to top dressing and watering. After all, it is these two factors that have the main effect on the intensity and duration of flowering and growth of the plant as a whole.
Adult flowers are watered daily and they are sprayed every day from a spray bottle. If the street temperature is above +33 degrees, then irrigation is carried out twice a day. It should be so plentiful that excess moisture flows to the surface through openings in the bottom of the tank. Watering is carried out under the root, and small-drop irrigation is used for leaves.
Top dressing is carried out throughout the flowering of petunias. To do this, in a specialized store acquire fertilizers made on the basis of potassium and magnesium and intended for flower beds. Use them once every 14 days.
Pinching is another important procedure. The first procedure is carried out after the fifth real leaf appears on the plant. The highest point on the shoot is removed, the stem length at this moment should be about 7 cm.
In the future, this procedure is carried out every month, pinching the shoots over the fifth leaf. Weekly recommended to remove old inflorescences and seed boxes.
All these recommendations for caring for a super-cascading petunia are basic, and without their observance it will be impossible to get a healthy, beautiful and long-flowering plant in your area.
Owners of supercascading petunia leave reviews about it exclusively positive. According to them, the efforts spent on its independent cultivation, fully paid off by the beauty and brightness of flowering adult flower.
Its main advantages are unpretentiousness to weather conditions, duration of flowering, an abundance of varieties and colors of the bells themselves.
If you want to decorate your site in the summer with some beautiful and very bright flower, then be sure to pay attention to the super-cascading petunia. During flowering, it will change your site beyond recognition, and the realization that such beauty is grown by your own hands will only enhance a favorable experience.
A detailed description and care of supercascading petunia can be found in the next video.