Among all the coatings used for the decorative decoration of ceilings, foam tile takes an increasingly prominent place. And this is quite natural, since it has a democratic cost and a very spectacular appearance. The ease of installation is also noteworthy: it is not difficult to glue the ceiling tiles; everyone who is not too lazy to get acquainted with the recommendations listed below will cope with this task.
The materials from which such products are made are foamed polymers, also called cellular polymers. Due to the peculiarities of their structure, they make it possible to provide high sound and thermal insulation of the equipped premises, making the home more comfortable.
Another significant feature of the foam tile is its lightness, which allows to carry out almost all the necessary work alone (with the exception of the markup, which is desirable to perform with a partner).
It should be noted and the variety of ceiling plates made of foam.
They can have a different shape, which happens:
- rectangular (its most popular square variation);
As for the surface of such products, it can be ordinary and laminated, smooth and embossed. In addition, many foam panels have an original color that imitates wood, stone, stucco, fabric and other materials. The choice of the most suitable variety of plates depends on the taste preferences of the owner of the home, as well as on the specifics of the room. In particular, it is better to cover the kitchen ceiling with laminated polystyrene plates, and the use of waterproof panels is considered to be the optimal solution for the bathroom.
Material calculation and glue selection
Before proceeding with the procedure for pasting the ceiling with foam plates, you should decide on the right amount of this finishing material. To do this, it is necessary to divide two areas - the ceiling and tiles, the first to the second. Given that the products in question most often have dimensions of 50x50 cm, the area of each of them is 0.25 m².
It is also worth noting that it is necessary to add 10-15% to the obtained numerical value, which act as “insurance” in case of excessive consumption of material or its damage.
If the owner of the premises does not consider it necessary to calculate the specific number of necessary foam panels, it is reasonable for him to use an alternative solution:
- determine the area of the room, multiplying its length and width;
- add standard 10-15% to the result;
- buy the calculated area of the tile in a specialized store.
There you can also get glue, the composition of which is suitable for foam panels in the best way. You should buy it in accordance with the amount of finishing materials, based on the average consumption per 1 m². Experience has shown that pasting the ceiling, whose area is 24 m², involves the use of 400 ml of glue, and 450 ml is enough not only to carry out this procedure, but also to secure the friezes. As for the ceilings, the surface of which cannot be called perfectly even, it is best to glue the tiles to them with a finishing putty mixed with PVA construction glue in a 5: 1 ratio.
Another point worthy of attention is the calculation of the total length of the acquired ceiling skirting boards.
This value is equal to the perimeter of the room, to which 5% should be added to compensate for the inevitable trimming.
Surface preparation and marking
The procedure preceded by pasting the ceiling with foam panels is to thoroughly clean it. It provides for the removal of the previous finish, which can be wallpaper, tile or whitewash, as well as cleaning the surface from various kinds of contaminants. Next, the ceiling must be treated with a primer - a special composition that provides maximum adhesion and negates the likelihood of the spread of pathogenic microflora. Special attention should be paid to the largest irregularities and differences, if any, have a place to be.
Upon completion of these measures, you can begin to mark the surface - a task whose correct solution involves taking into account the location of the foam plates. The latter largely depends on the characteristics of the room: for example, longitudinal installation is great for small rooms, and diagonal - for large ones. As for the point, which is a guideline for the pasting, most often its role is played by the center of the ceiling or the location of the chandelier.
The presented options assume the following actions:
- Longitudinal. This method is the most popular, which is primarily due to its simplicity. First you need to choose a starting point (for example, the center of the ceiling), and then divide the surface through it into 4 parts by lines parallel to the walls. The result of this operation will be 4 squares or rectangles. From this point you need to start gluing the ceiling with foam panels.
- Diagonal. In this case, the marking is performed in the same way as in the situation with the longitudinal arrangement of the plates, with only one difference. Each of the formed right angles, the vertex of which is the starting point, should be divided into 2 equal parts by means of the corresponding line, the bisector. This action shifts the styling by 45 °, which ensures the diagonal arrangement of decorative elements.
If the center of the room acts as a guide, then it must be accurately found. For this, a pair of threads stretched from diagonally located corners of the room is enough: the desired result will be the point at which they intersect.
It is desirable to mark the surface using a chopping cord, trying to achieve the highest possible accuracy.
Having completed the marking of the ceiling, the owner of the room can begin the gluing procedure. If the panels look the same, you can stick them in any order, and in a situation where the tile has a composite pattern, you must strictly adhere to the required pattern.
In addition, the following rules must be considered:
- It is advisable to paste the ceiling with foam boards after turning off the power supply.
- To prevent decorative elements from getting dirty, you need to work with them in gloves.
- Apply glue to the back of the tile in different ways. In particular, this is done with a solid line or dashed lines, as well as in the center and corners of the ceiling plate. The optimal tool in such cases is a comb.
- It is advisable to apply glue only on the foam panel so as not to close the markings created earlier.
- It is necessary to start pasting from the selected starting point - so that the corners of the 4 central tiles converge in it. If the fixture mount will be located in it, then the corresponding corners of the foam panels will have to be carefully trimmed.
- After aligning the plates along the planned lines, they must be pressed tightly to the ceiling. In this case, excessive efforts are not required - to avoid the appearance of dents on mounted decorative elements.
- Plates intended for the last rows, most often need to be cut to the required size. As soon as this procedure is completed, a control fitting of foam panels should be carried out. If the dimensions of the products meet the conditions of the task, you can proceed to the application of glue.
- The cracks that form at the edges of the ceiling after pasting it must be filled with cut out fragments of ceiling tiles that have the appropriate dimensions.
It is also worth adding that all work must be carried out gradually, step by step equipping small areas of the surface. In addition, it is important to get rid of excess glue in a timely manner, “armed” with a slightly moistened rag.
Sealing and gluing friezes
Practice shows that sometimes the dimensions of ceiling tiles belonging to the same model may vary slightly. As a rule, such deviations do not exceed 1-2 mm, but this is enough to move the joints between the glued panels. In order to avoid such a misfortune, experts advise installing foam boards at a slight distance from each other - about 2 mm.
In the future, the seams must be repaired with a putty or acrylic sealant of a suitable color, providing excellent masking of gaps and optimal adhesion. After drying, the created decorative surface can be covered with water-based paint, which allows you to hide any, even the smallest errors.
The final event is gluing foam friezes onto the ceiling. Like plates, they can also “boast” with a variety of design options, involving many forms, shades and features of the relief.
If you highlight other points that are typical for ceiling foam skirting boards, their list is as follows:
- Narrow friezes, decorated with a not-so-catchy ornament, are most suitable for small rooms. With wide products, the situation is the opposite: it is advisable to use them in rooms with a large area.
- Glues need to be glued from the corners of the room, performing fitting along the length of the walls and using inserts.
- In order to carefully trim the ceiling skirting at 45 °, you must use a special carpentry fixture - a miter box.
You can glue friezes both before decorating the walls with wallpaper, and after - with the only difference being that the first option involves a higher accuracy of fitting the paintings. In the end, it remains more tightly to close all the windows and doors in the room in order to minimize the movement of air flows.
In order for the selected foam tile to meet all the expectations of its owner, experts advise to consider the following:
- When choosing a finishing material, special attention should be paid to the quality of the edges: all the edges of the ceiling panels should be perfectly even.
- Deform or trim the edges of the foam plates is not worth it. Following this advice allows you to get the seams with the least noticeability.
- The finer the ornament and fine grain the tile has, the higher its quality. No less important is the strength of the foam panels: a product that does not break under its weight if it is taken from any corner is considered to be solid.
- The ceiling of a small room will not seem too “heavy” if it is decorated with slabs with a small pattern.
- Choosing a diagonal version of pasting implies a greater consumption of material, but allows for better perception - due to less noticeable seams and a visual increase in surface.
- Foam panels are not highly resistant to mechanical stress. Given this circumstance, tiles should be handled carefully - from the time of purchase to the completion of all finishing work with its use.
In the future, glued panels should be periodically wiped with a dry cloth or gently vacuumed. But the use of aggressive chemical compounds must be discarded - due to the fact that they can render decorative elements unusable.
Summing up, it remains to be noted that pasting the ceiling with foam slabs can be performed without significant time, money and physical effort. Taking into account the simple rules listed in this material is all that is required to achieve the optimal result.
For how to glue foam ceiling tiles, see the next video.