A sofa is one of the main pieces of furniture in any living room. Therefore, when choosing it, it is very important to take into account a lot of different criteria and nuances in order to choose the most optimal model, which is ideal for each particular interior option.
Large sofas are usually purchased for a large living room. Such furniture is very roomy, convenient and comfortable. Large sofas are made of various materials, can have a different shape, design and appearance.
Criterias of choice
Choosing a sofa for a spacious living room is not as complicated as for a small one. Huge sofas in the living room are indispensable in cases where you have a very large family or large companies often gather at home.
There are many different models of large sofas.
When choosing them, you should pay attention to the following criteria:
- upholstered furniture should have a coating, the care of which will be quite simple;
- convenience is one of the most important criteria;
- functionality - well, if the selected model of the sofa provides a place for storing bedding or other personal items;
- number of seats and berth size;
- sofa shape - on sale you can find straight and angular models, oval and U-shaped, as well as modular products;
- types and materials of upholstery, frame and spring manufacturing - the quality of these elements will directly affect the life of the furniture.
Design Options and Dimensions
When choosing a specific model of upholstered furniture, you must consider how many seats it is designed for. Think about how many households and guests you would like to place on the sofa in the living room, and this is what you need to build on.
Direct sofas with a length of 3 meters provide for the presence of five or six seats.
If you need a sofa with a larger capacity, pay attention to the corner models, as well as sofas with an ottoman, as they provide an additional two places. With this model of upholstered furniture, you will not need to additionally install chairs or armchairs.
An additional plus of corner furniture is a spacious place to sleep.
Another modern version of upholstered furniture is a modular sofa. Today it is also very popular. Its convenience lies in the fact that the individual modules of the product can be interchanged and arranged in a way that will be convenient at the moment. Modular sofas can include items such as ottomans, armchairs, couches and even sun loungers.
The advantages of modular models include:
- the ability to divide the room into separate zones;
- the ability to periodically change the appearance of the interior due to the rearrangement of individual sofa modules;
- convenience and comfort of relaxation.
The sofa in the living room can perform both the function of seats in the recreation area, and the function of a full bed.
Folding sofas with a berth can have various transformation mechanisms:
- Sofa-book - is laid out by lifting the horizontal part, which then after clicking should be lowered. The advantages of this mechanism include the ease of decomposition. However, such a sofa cannot be installed close to the wall;
- Euro-book - to get a berth, the seat must be raised and the backrest put in its place. Such models are very reliable, easy to fold out, have a flat surface and are very comfortable for sleeping;
- Angular model "dolphin" - the second part of a berth needs to be pulled out for a special loop. Folding such a sofa is easy and convenient, but it does not provide a place for storing bedding;
- “Accordion” - to decompose the furniture, you need to raise the seat and roll out the berth forward. The advantage of this sofa bed is a spacious berth, however, folding this design is a bit more difficult than other models;
- The clamshell model - has a roll-out design on wheels, for the expansion of which the lower part must be pulled forward. The berth also turns out to be quite spacious and very comfortable, the roll-out mechanism is reliable and will serve you for many years. But pay attention to the fact that the wheels can leave marks on the floor.
Another important parameter that should be considered when choosing upholstered furniture is the depth of the seat. The optimal range is from 55 to 90 centimeters. Keep in mind that for each person a different seat depth will be comfortable, therefore, a sofa with pillows that fit under your back and thus allow you to adjust this parameter will be a very good solution.
When choosing the appearance of the sofa, it must be borne in mind that the product must fit into the general style of the interior of the living room.
On sale you can find sofas made in the following styles:
- classic - products are distinguished by their smooth forms and the presence of many draperies;
- modern - upholstered furniture in a modern style is very comfortable and functional, it does not contain catchy elements, it has a completely neutral design that will harmoniously fit into each interior;
- minimalistic - products are made in strict rectangular shapes, the design is very concise, often models are not equipped with armrests;
- Baroque - the furniture is decorated with many patterns, has carved legs and armrests. The height of the legs is about thirty centimeters.
If you like original and unusual furniture, you can opt for a semicircular sofa. Such a product design will not go unnoticed, it will look very stylish and modern.
With the help of semicircular, as well as U-shaped sofas, it is possible to distinguish the relaxation area from the dining area and the corridor - this is very important for the living room-studio.
Folding models of upholstered furniture for sleeping must certainly be reliable, comfortable and convenient. Therefore, if you plan to sleep regularly on the purchased sofa, do not hesitate to lie down on it before buying to make sure the product is comfortable.
Determining the color of upholstered furniture, you should initially decide whether it will be a bright accent in the living room or whether it should merge with the overall interior. Depending on this, you should choose the color of the product.
Also, when choosing a sofa design, you can be guided by the following design rules:
- the shade of the sofa should be at least a couple of tones lighter than the walls;
- upholstered furniture can be in bright colors, which should clearly differ from the rest of the interior;
- you should not use many saturated elements at the same time in the interior - a bright wall decoration in combination with a bright sofa will not look too good, it is better to focus on one thing.
Filler and Upholstery
The upholstery of the sofa should be of high quality, with neat and even seams. Upholstery fabric can be very different, the main thing is that it is practical, easy to care for and wear-resistant.
One of the most durable materials for upholstery is leather. Leather products made in dark colors look stylish and chic, they will serve you for many years and at the same time will not change their appearance. However, not all people are comfortable sitting on leather sofas. The disadvantage of this material is the fact that any scratches on it will be very noticeable, and it will be impossible to eliminate them. By cons include the high cost of leather furniture.
Other good materials for upholstering sofas are velor, tapestry, chenille, jacquard, as well as artificial leather and suede fabrics. The most popular are chenille and jacquard, since caring for them is as simple and convenient as possible, these materials are very durable, and they are also resistant to fading.
The seat elasticity depends on the filler of the sofa. If the seat is too soft, after a while it may gradually squeeze, and the product will lose its attractive appearance. It is also not very comfortable to get up from a soft seat, especially for people of age. For these reasons, it is better to choose a sofa model with a fairly elastic seat.
And for the folding model it is very important that it was comfortable not only to sit, but also to sleep.
Based on this, you should not purchase upholstered furniture with cheap polyurethane foam fillers that will quickly begin to squeeze through. The best solution would be sofas with spring blocks, with a thermo-lacquer layer or coconut fiber. Such a model of the sofa will be equivalent to an orthopedic mattress in terms of comfort and convenience not only rest, but also sleep.
Buying a large sofa in the living room requires a thorough approach. However, if you think over everything and choose the right shape, size, design, materials and appearance of the product - the acquired furniture will delight you and your entire family for many years.
See how to choose a sofa in the next video.