During repair work, interior decoration, designers and craftsmen use fluorescent paint. What it is? Does spray paint in cans glow in the dark?
The answers to these and other questions regarding fluorescent paint will be given in this article.
What it is?
Fluorescent coatings, or phosphor-based paints, are a special type of material that is distinguished by a special reaction to light rays. When directing light rays or ultraviolet light onto the paint, the image volume increases and the brightness increases many times.
The use of fluorescent colors has become frequent in the work of graphic designers, designers who turn ordinary gray rooms into a space that attracts attention and causes delight.
Fluorescent paints are endowed with special properties - luminescence. This is the effect of a special glow at night. During the day, the surface painted with this paint accumulates light energy, and at night gives it away. Shimmer in various shades and reflect in the dark the painted surface is capable of up to twelve hours .
Under ultraviolet light all around. To recharge with glow all night, she needs only 15 minutes of daylight .
In addition, the pigment included in the paintwork has another unique property - it gives the painted surface or pattern an acid color saturation. The color scheme is wide - from raspberry to lemon shade.
The unique properties of fluorescent dyes include:
- Reflective effect, which can reach 150-300%. To understand the uniqueness, you should compare this effect with conventional paint, in which it barely reaches 85%.
- Full safety in use, since there are no harmful components in the composition.
- The effect of glow in the dark can persist for a long time.
What is the difference from luminescent?
Glowing colors have long taken their place of honor in the modern world, having settled forever in many industries and directions. The facets of the use of paints today simply do not exist - they are used on land, under water, in space.
There are two types of luminous coatings with significant differences:
Luminescent paint is a paint and varnish material based on a phosphor. Products or surfaces painted by it glow in the dark. Often used by artists to create drawings, paintings. The pigment contained in it is fed by solar energy or bright artificial lighting throughout the day, and at night it illuminates the painted surface and everything around.
The features of this paint include:
- pigment value equal to five microns;
- smoothness and perfect evenness of the surface on which the paint is applied;
- half-hour recharge for a 12-hour glow;
- the presence of a greenish and bluish glow, which is present due to the phosphor;
- long service life of the paint, which reaches 30 years;
- frost resistance;
- moisture resistance;
- lack of toxic substances that negatively affect human health;
- high cost.
Fluorescent paint is a coloring material that does not feed on solar energy, but shines under the influence of ultraviolet rays. The fluorescence included in the composition does not glow, but only reflects the light spectrum.
Features of this paint are:
- continuous glow under the influence of ultraviolet rays;
- the color palette includes eight bright colors, as well as many different shades formed when mixing paints;
- the pigment value of the finished paint reaches 75 microns;
- when exposed to sunlight, the fluorescent paint dims and burns out;
- It does not withstand high temperature conditions, with a drop it simply collapses;
- affordable price segment.
If we talk about whether luminous paint is harmful to health, the answer is obvious - no, so its range of application is very wide.
Today, fluorescent paint is presented on the market in four main types:
- Acrylic enamel for use in decorating rooms. Often used when updating or changing the interior.
- Acrylic enamel, which is intended for painting the facades of houses.
- Aerosol paint, which includes urethane and alkydan. It is a universal paintwork. This type of coating is available in cartridges that are convenient for use.
- Invisible paints. They are almost invisible on bright surfaces, but this is during the day. At night, they acquire a whitish hue in the form of chaotic stains. They are often used by designers in exclusive projects. Such paint has also been used in highlighting road signs.
Enamel for decor of interior items can be applied to almost any surface, be it wood, plasterboard surfaces, paper, stone. Exceptions are plastic and metal surfaces.
The color shade of acrylic enamel is determined by its composition, which includes acrylic as a base and luminescent pigment particles. New shades are obtained by mixing the existing color scheme.
The paint does not have an unpleasant pungent odor. It is not toxic. The disadvantages include low moisture resistance , so it is better not to use it in the bathroom, pool.
Acrylic enamel, designed for painting building facades, is very resistant, withstands various temperature conditions. It does not give in to burning out and is rather resistant in relation to cleaning and disinfection means. To wash a house painted with such enamel is not difficult.
Facade paint is odorless. It has excellent vapor permeability. It lays well on a concrete surface, galvanized metal, which can not be said about many other types of coatings.
If the purpose of the paint is to paint a picture on the wall of the house, then it must first be diluted with liquid (ordinary water).
Aerosol paint, belonging to the class of universal coloring agents, has a wide range of uses. They are used for indoor and outdoor use. The process of applying such paint is simplified due to the fact that it is available in small spray cans. Aerosol coloring agent can be applied to many types of surfaces:
- wall surface.
They are ideal for use in the bathroom, pool, toilet, because they have the highest vapor resistance.
Invisible paint is a very popular type of paintwork . She has a rich color scheme. Ordinary white walls or ceilings in the daytime magically turn into masterpieces of designers and artists at night, sparkling with various colors. All this thanks to ultraviolet.
The color palette of fluorescent paint is represented by a small number of colors, including yellow, red, blue, orange, white, purple. Surprisingly, the violet hue is the most faded of the entire color palette.
Color can change and from the initial colorless to acidic, and when the action of ultraviolet rays passes, the acid again becomes colorless. Also achromatic (colorless) colors turn amazingly in yellow, green, orange tone.
All fluorescent paints are divided into chromatic and achromatic. Chromatic ones enhance tone due to the action of ultraviolet rays. For example, red paint becomes even brighter and more saturated, but the tone does not change. Achromatic paints are the transformation of colorless tones into saturated ones . For example, it was colorless, but turned bright orange.
Also, fluorescent coatings have the property of transforming from one shade to another - it was blue, it turned green. Invisible or transparent fluorescent paint does not have its own color in daylight . Hue appears at night.
Well-known manufacturers of spray paint materials in spray cans are two brands - Kudo and Bosny. Also at specialized points of sale of this type of product you can find such brands as Noxton, New Ton, Acmelight, Tricolor, "Champion" and others.
Manufacturing countries that have proven themselves in the market of fluorescent dyes - Poland, Ukraine, Russia.
The scope of luminous coloring materials is very large. She came to us from ancient times. Once upon a time, African tribes loved to use it, painting their bodies and faces. Gradually, unusual coloring material became popular throughout Europe, and then throughout the world.
In painting, a separate direction is developed - fluorescent. Its representatives are the talented painters A. Thompson, B. Varnaite.
Today it is difficult to name an environment where paints are not used, because their use is allowed and necessary everywhere.
Areas where luminous paint is often used:
- Decoration of walls, ceilings, building facades.
- The decoration of public institutions (night clubs, restaurants, cafes).
- Fine art and painting.
- Decoration of furniture and interior. Restoration of old furniture.
- Body art, including manicure and makeup. Face painting. Tattoo
- Decoration of compositions from fresh and artificial flowers.
- Textile dyeing, including garments.
- Coloring leather goods, bags, backpacks.
- Painting of facades, fences, wooden arbors.
- Advertising. Use on packaging, labels, stickers, banners.
- Auto tuning and airbrushing.
- Bike tuning
- Use in overalls and road signs.
In addition to all of the above, the paint can be seen on dishes, souvenirs, household appliances. The forensic field has long used them in its work.
Manufacturers of goods for children use luminous paints to attract the attention of a children's audience. Using invisible paint, manufacturers apply protective markings on their products, thus protecting themselves from fakes.
Creative people draw pictures, panels. Christmas tree decorations painted with luminous paints, painted statuettes and other figures look great. The film industry and show business also cannot do without fluorescent coloring materials
Coloring agents, like any other materials, must be able to choose the right one. Firstly, you need to understand exactly why they are needed, and secondly, to know where they will be applied. If the goal is set, then you can decide on the look, and only then choose the shades.
For more information on fluorescent paint, see the video below.