The fence is considered the main attribute of the arrangement of the personal plot, since it performs not only a protective function, but also gives the architectural ensemble a complete look. Today, there are many types of hedges, but the fence “chess” is especially popular with owners of country houses. It is easy to install and looks great in landscape design.
The “chessboard” fence is a fence, the planks of which are fixed to the guides in a checkerboard pattern. Thanks to this installation method, the fence receives double cladding and becomes stronger. Despite the fact that the canvas looks like a blank fence, there are gaps for ventilation.
Many people confuse such fencing with a classic picket fence, but these designs have significant differences. In a conventional picket fence, the strips are fixed to the guides on one side, so from the side of the yard the fence does not look very nice. As for the “chess” fence, it has the peculiarity - it looks equally attractive from all sides.
The main advantages of the “chess” include several more qualities.
- Excellent barrier function. Through such a fence, even the smallest animal will not be able to enter the yard. In order to protect a personal plot from intruders, it is best to install a vertical “checkerboard”, since when installing a horizontal lamella, a “ladder” is created, which is quite easy to climb.
- Easy installation. This fence can be built independently, without the help of specialists.
- High resistance to negative environmental impact and mechanical damage. Such hedges can reliably serve more than a dozen years.
- Huge selection. Today, manufacturers produce lamellas from a variety of materials in elegant colors. This allows them to quickly pick up the style of the site.
- Affordable price. On the market you can find many budget options for picket, which is of high quality.
Types of Euro-Fence
Depending on the material of the manufacture of lamellas, the “checkerboard” fences made of Euro-planking are made of wood, metal and plastic. Each of these types differs not only in design, price, but also in service life.
Wooden hedges are considered the most beautiful - they look expensive, but require careful care (timely replacement of rotten planks, painting). To further emphasize the texture of wood, it is recommended to install lamellas horizontally and cover them with tinted or colorless varnish.
For those homeowner owners who care about the fence to have a barrier function, a metal picket fence is considered an ideal option . It is available in various colors. This type of euro-pallets is characterized by durability and does not require special care, since it is painted during the production process.
The plastic budget fence is considered the most budget option - it is produced not only in various colors, but also with imitation wood, natural stone. Plastic lamellas are easy to clean and do not require painting. Their only drawback is that under the influence of ultraviolet rays they quickly turn yellow, fade and lose strength.
If you plan to make a fence made of metal bricks (wood) in a checkerboard pattern, then you can use two mounting options.
- Vertical. This is the easiest and most common installation option that does not require special tools and experience. In this case, the racks from a metal fence are fixed to the transverse lags with the help of special rivets or self-tapping screws. The size of the lamellas can be from 1.25 to 1.5 m.
- Horizontal Suitable for those who like unusual design. This installation method is extremely rare because it requires the observance of precise instructions. In addition, in order to avoid sagging of the picket fence, the installation of columns will be required, and this is an additional cost of time and finance. The installation process is as follows: first, columns are placed (they need to be filled with concrete), then lags are placed between them, on which the rails are mounted on both sides.
The choice of installation method of the fence largely depends on the material of manufacture of the slats and fasteners. In addition to choosing the installation method, you also need to determine the type of foundation and supports.
To make the design durable and beautiful, it is recommended to make a drawing in advance. In it you need to specify the length of the spans and the distance between the columns.
An important element of any fence is the foundation, since it is on it that the life of the fence depends. Checkerboard fences are usually installed on a strip or column foundation, the first of which allows you to give the structure increased reliability. Before the construction of the foundation, you need to make a layout of the territory and marking the axes. Then a trench digs along the marking axes - its depth depends on the weight of the future fence and the distance to groundwater. Formwork is being constructed. Everything is completed by pouring concrete.
For the installation of a chessboard fence, concrete, brick, wooden or metal poles can be used. Since this design does not have a lot of weight, craftsmen most often choose concrete columns as a support. They are installed in previously prepared pits, the depth of laying can vary from 0.8 to 1.5 m. It depends on the structure and quality of the soil.
After the base and supports of the future fence are ready, the guide beams are installed. To do this, grooves are prepared in advance in the columns, corners are welded to the metal columns. The lag should be fixed according to the markings in order to avoid skewing. Planks need to be laid not close to the ground - this is especially important if they are wooden. When installing a horizontal “checkerboard”, it is necessary to additionally place vertical racks to fix the slats.
The “chessboard” fence is usually chosen by the owners of land plots who are simultaneously trying to give the area an aesthetic appearance and hide it from prying eyes.
Installing such a fence with your own hands is simple, but it requires time and preparation work. The first step is to reconcile with the plan of the land, and determine the distance between the supports. Then you need to purchase the necessary material and prepare the tools.
Prior to installation, you should buy fencing material, cross beams, fasteners, gravel and sand. As for the tools, you will need a laser level, a shovel, a coil of construction rope, a screwdriver.
Then you need to follow several steps in sequence.
- Prepare the foundation and set the columns. Supports for the fence “chess” can be installed both in drilled with a drill and in the holes dug up by a shovel. Their diameter should be 70 mm larger than the diameter of the support. The depth is determined depending on the height of the columns: if it is 1.5 m, then the recess is made by 60 cm, from 1.5 to 2 m - 90 cm, and more than 2 m - 1.2 m. Before pouring the solution into the installed columns, the formwork is mounted. To do this, lay a sheet of roofing material at the bottom, its edges are bent so that the depth of the well corresponds to a segment of a large diameter pipe. Then a column is placed in the center. It needs to be leveled and then filled with concrete.
- Fasten transversely. To prevent the transverse beam from bending, it is recommended to make a distance of 1.5-2.5 m between the supports. Fixing is carried out using special eyes - if they are not in the columns, then you need to weld yourself. You can also fix the beams to the embedded elements in the concrete column thickness. After this, the horizontal installation is checked.
- Installation of slats. This is the easiest step in installing the fence, during which it is important to correctly observe the distance between the euro-piling. To do this, it is recommended to make a template, it will help to quickly determine the width of the gap between the strips. After several lamellas are fixed, it is necessary to check the structure with a vertical level. If this is not done, then you can "spoil" the entire fence.
Phased construction of the fence "chess" from the picket fence in the video below.