Facing the facade of buildings with tiles, natural stone or wood is now considered unnecessarily time-consuming. Complex structures with natural roots and reducing the amount of these very natural materials are being replaced by lightweight panels made of plastic, vinyl and metal. Siding is not only an environmentally friendly type of building decoration, but also very economical. And if you don’t want to veneer the whole house, but it is simply necessary to create a confident and solid foundation for the house, an unpretentious, but picturesque basement siding comes to the rescue.
Facing the basement of the building is divided into types according to two criteria: material and method of installation.
The most common materials for siding:
- polyvinyl chloride;
All of them are a universal finish for basement siding, because they have excellent stable properties: to ultraviolet radiation, to moisture, to temperature extremes. They can easily serve for many years. There is, of course, metal siding. But it requires additional processing of the material itself with anti-corrosion agents and more thorough care.
According to the installation method, the types of basement siding can be horizontal and vertical.
Most often, for the lower part of the building, professionals and construction lovers use horizontal laying. And in order to provide the basement of the house with high-quality cladding with your own hand in the simplest, fastest and most efficient way, you need to acquire basic tools and prepare the base of the building for installation.
Training and Tools
Before proceeding directly to the installation, it is necessary to prepare the surface for work.
First of all, attention should be paid to the evenness of the walls. Basement siding will give out with giblets any of your skeleton (read: roughness). And also it should be remembered that when facing the base of the house with synthetic canvases under them, an excellent environment for the appearance and spread of fungus, mold and other moisture-loving microorganisms can form. Therefore, the walls under the slabs must be treated with an antiseptic or any other impregnation.
A prerequisite before laying the siding plates is to clean the base from debris, dust, cobwebs and other things, so that the surface is ideally free of foreign objects.
The next step in the preparation will be the solution of insulation or ventilation of the facade. Since both of these phenomena are very common in today's conditions, training should be carried out, taking into account these features. With any of these options, it is necessary to make allowances for purchased materials.
For self-installation of basement siding, you will first need the following tools:
- screwdriver - you can use the old grandfather's screwdriver, but it will take more time for such work;
- flat head screws (a lot of screws);
- water level or infrared;
- hacksaw for metal or jigsaw.
Of course, each case and for each master is characterized by its own set of tools. This list is for getting started.
As for the components of the siding itself, then everything is simple. To install the panels on the base, you need: lathing (metal profiles or wooden bars), starting strip, finish profile and j-profile. This is all about attaching panels to the basement wall. The main parts that make up the siding itself are: paneling with a selected design and corner panels.
But before you buy these components of the future "face" of the foundation of the house, you should make preliminary, most accurate calculations.
Material quantity calculation
Correctly calculating how much siding is required to finish the base is not difficult. But here special care must be taken. After all, nobody wants to go to the store in the middle of the installation process and buy material. Or, conversely, buy a bunch of panels, and then not know where to put the rest, and why so much money was spent.
We proceed to measuring the base of the facade of the house. By measuring the width and height of one side, you get the surface area for the cladding. Do the same with the other sides of your country or country house. Adding all four digits, you get the total surface area.
In construction stores today you can find a wide variety of wall panels for siding, various companies and manufacturers. So, you can find various sizes, textures, styling methods. Some manufacturers already produce their products with mounts specifically for their panels. At the same time, the exact total area of the panels and the usable area are indicated on each package. Pay attention to the first value and calculate how many packages of this material are needed in your case.
Be sure to add 10-15% to the resulting number of packages. This will help to ensure that in case of force majeure you have a margin. At the same time - this is not an exorbitant amount worth crazy money.
With a full set of material, components and tools, happy, you can proceed with the installation of basement siding.
Starting to install the basement siding with your own hands, you should start with the supporting base. It is worth noting here that in some cases a crate is not required. When the walls of the house are perfectly smooth (from foam and gas blocks and another), the crate as such may not be needed.
Installation of the lathing begins with the installation of the planks of your choice: wooden or metal. The next step is the correct location of these strips.
There are three types of installation of the crate:
Horizontal is best suited for facing the plinth, as this is a small area with virtually no openings. If you decide to sheathe the entire house with siding panels at once, then it makes sense to mount a common vertical or combined crate.
Let us dwell on the metal profile. Outside, the profile strips are attached to the base with dowels and screws (if the wall material is brick or stone). An important point is to leave gaps between the head of the self-tapping screw and the blade of one and a half centimeters in order to allow temperature fluctuations to make their own changes in the shape and volume of all components without affecting the appearance of the siding.
For a timber base, you can use standard self-tapping screws or galvanized nails, also remembering to leave a small distance between the cap and the base.
Do not forget, before installing the crate on the base, you must perform all the steps for insulation or ventilation of the facade. After installing the supporting structure, you will no longer have such an opportunity.
Once all the work on installing the crate is completed, we proceed to the installation of siding panels. The first is the starting bar, which is a kind of guide that indicates the path of further movement of the entire siding structure. Therefore, it is very important at this stage to use the construction level. It also happens that the earth around the house is not even enough, sometimes even very uneven. Cutting siding panels so that it looks aesthetically pleasing is not possible. Here, the J-profile comes to the aid of builders. This is a metal bar with an external j-shaped hook-harpoon. The profile is installed as close to the ground as possible, and the start bar is mounted on it without sacrifices and distortions.
To mount the canvases on the crate of the basement, you should follow a certain sequence, which will help to quickly and accurately install all the panels.
The movement of laying elements occurs from left to right and from bottom to top.
- First, an angular siding element is installed.
- The first part is trimmed to the left edge vertically to completely align this side. She puts on the starting bar or J-profile and moves as much as possible to the left to enter the groove of the corner element. Do not forget to leave natural gaps between the siding panels.
- Carefully measure the level of this part. When it becomes exactly even, you can fasten it with screws to the crate.
- Continue installing subsequent elements in the same way. Each next row is staggered so that the joints do not go in a straight line along the entire height of the base.
- Before installing the last row, the finish bar is attached.
Installation of basement siding is not a particularly difficult process, but it requires attention and accuracy, without which it is impossible to achieve a good final result.
I especially want to dwell on the sheathing of the pile foundation with panels of polyvinyl chloride.
Screw piles are used to base the house in those places where it is simply impossible to level the surface of the soil , and the owners do not want to bother and wait a long time. The main difference between the basement siding in such structures is that, first of all, it is necessary to carefully treat the piles themselves with a waterproofing agent and perform all the necessary drainage works. Check for debris, vegetation, or wildlife under the house. The rest is all done in the same sequence as with the usual base.
Carrying out the installation of basement siding with your own hands, you can resort to the advice and recommendations of experienced specialists.
- If you want to recreate curly, unusual angular structures, you can also use a metal profile that takes any shape if you make small cuts in the right places.
- The number of decorative corners of siding is always equal to the number of rows of plinth trim panels. Thus, their preliminary quantity can be easily calculated.
- Fixing one corner first, then installing the panels, again covering everything with the corner is wrong. There is a risk of not calculating and not guessing with grooves. Installation of all siding elements must be performed taking into account all the recommendations given in the instructions for it.
- Please note that facing a private house with siding involves the use of a large number of self-tapping screws or nails. So, one standard panel can take up to five pieces. They must be screwed into special holes. At the same time, so that the load on all panels is distributed evenly, self-tapping screws or nails should be placed strictly in the center of the holes of the horizontal panels. As for the corners, here in the very first lower hole a nail or a self-tapping screw is inserted into its lower part, and then also in the middle.
Professionals recommend paying special attention to certain nuances when choosing panels for siding.
- Coloring. The better the products, the more solid and bright the color of the panels will be, both outside and inside.
- Thickness. This parameter should be the same over the entire length and over the entire height of the panel. If you look at it directly and see seals, bulges, curvatures, run away from this manufacturer or seller.
- Sizes. The dimensional information indicated on the packaging by the manufacturer must be consistent with the dimensions of the panels.
- Holes All perforations are the same size, shape and smooth.
- Appearance. The presence of the slightest surface defects: peeling, swelling, delamination is not allowed.
In leaving, basement siding is very unpretentious. Timely cleaning it will extend not only its service life, but also your aesthetic pleasure. For washing panels it is convenient to use a hose in which water is supplied under moderate pressure. In inaccessible places, a car brush can come to the rescue. The main thing is not to use materials with a rough surface and sometimes use classic detergents.
When installing fiber cement siding (or panels for masonry and brickwork), it is necessary to take into account the factor that this material is very capricious and gives poor shrinkage, it is difficult to respond to weather changes. Thus, the approach to this type of facing should also be special so as not to spoil your mood in case of sudden force majeure.
Installation of basement siding, see the next video.