It is currently impossible to imagine an apartment or a house without such important pieces of furniture as chairs. So that the chairs harmoniously fit the interior and at the same time keep their beautiful appearance for a long time, they can be decorated with a variety of covers.
When you want to make updates to the design of the room, you should pay attention to furniture and other details of the decor. For example, chair covers will help to decorate and update the interior.
Depending on the tasks that the covers will perform, they can be divided into the following groups:
- Everyday. These wraps are suitable for daily use. Due to the fact that they will often be erased, covers should be removed without effort. The fabric for them should be durable, crushproof. Such simple covers serve as protection against dirt, wear, and also to update old chairs.
- Festive. These covers are suitable for celebrations. This is a removable accessory. When sewing, they use ruffles, bows and ribbons.
The purpose of the festive wraps is to decorate the interior of the room.
It is more convenient to order individual tailoring of a cover than to find ready-made capes in style, color and size.
Types and Models
Today, there are several types of chair covers: universal, half covers, as well as luxury covers:
- Universal models fit on different chairs. Especially ideal for such chair covers without armrests. At the same time, covers are fixed on the back of the chair with hinges, bows and other accessories. Pillowcases for backs are also referred to as universal types of wraps.
Universal models include covers for stools. They are round or square in shape with strings on the legs of a stool.
- Half casing. This shortened model is attached with an elastic band. Such wraps are made of transparent or translucent material. This is a practical and relevant option for homes with young children and pets.
- Luxury Covers. They are purchased for banquets, wedding events. As a rule, such covers are sewn from expensive materials. They consist of a long fabric covering the legs of the chair, and are decorated with beautiful elements. Luxury covers give a special chic and cosiness to the room.
- Also on sale, you can often find euro covers . These are stretch capes on an elastic band. They tightly fit the chairs and look like furniture upholstery. Due to the strength of the fabric, they protect the chairs from external influences. Euro covers are convenient in operation, they are made from hypoallergenic fabrics.
Their only drawback is the higher cost compared to other covers.
- To protect chairs from pollution in beauty salons, disposable wraps made of polyethylene on an elastic band will help, economical and practical.
Depending on the form, covers are divided into categories:
- Solid or dense. They completely cover the chair - and the back and seat. Reliably protect furniture from damage. Give furniture conservatism. This form is the most difficult to produce.
- Separate. They are two components - for the seat and for the back. Convenient to use.
- Seat Covers. It covers only the chair seat, they are soft and comfortable. They are round and square. These seats are an economical and popular option.
When choosing chair covers, it is important to focus on the style of the object where they will be used:
- Provence style originates in France and is famous for its romance and laconicism of details. For rooms in this style, cotton covers in pastel shades with prints in the form of flowers, cages, monograms are suitable. Also, for Provence, linen products with decorative ties are chosen.
- As for the classical style , it is characterized by the severity and harmony of forms. For the classic style, you can choose satin or silk fabrics in soothing colors, possibly with the addition of bronze or gilding. Chairs with such covers will give aristocracy to an apartment or home.
- Hi-tech style is suitable for viscose and denim wraps. The main criterion for choosing covers for this style is the correct form and bright details.
- For a home in a country style or a rustic style, materials from natural fabrics - cotton or linen - are chosen. You can decorate products with flowers and lace.
Not all materials are ideal for the manufacture of chair covers. The fabric should be high-quality, dense and certainly beautiful.
Let's consider some of them:
- Cotton. The fabric is hypoallergenic and inexpensive. But for permanent use is not recommended. Firstly, from frequent washing, the color fades, and secondly, it fades in the light. Such material can be chosen for children's chairs.
- Satin crepe. Great material for a variety of ruffles and pleats. There is natural satin and synthetic crepe. It looks like satin and silk. Covers from this fabric are wearproof and look beautiful.
- Spandex. This stretch fabric has excellent elasticity and is suitable for most chairs. Its cost is low, unlike other fabrics. Spandex covers are most often chosen for decorating banquet rooms.
- Gabardine. Suitable for connoisseurs of light, soft, but at the same time dense materials. The composition of this fabric can be different - from cotton, silk and wool. Gabardine covers perfectly tolerate washing and the use of cleaning products.
- Linen. Linen fabric is an excellent base for creating chair coverings. This material combines simplicity and chic appearance. It is possible to choose any color scheme and texture.
- Knitted yarn. Wraps from this material are environmentally friendly, as they contain 100% cotton. The advantage of knitted yarn is the presence of a huge palette of rich colors. Seat covers for chairs will look original if several colors are used in their production. Knitted wraps are durable and unpretentious in operation.
- Microfiber. Resistant to water and dust. Covers from this material are well suited for office chairs.
- Leather. Leather covers fit any room design. They look beautiful and rich.
Leather wraps are perfect for bar stools, stools and other metal frame chairs.
They do not require special care, they are easily wiped from dust and stains. The disadvantages of covers made of this material are its high price and the possibility of scratches.
After the type and shape of the covers are determined, proceed to the choice of colors. Using the selected color for sewing a chair cover, you can supplement the overall color palette of the home or give the furniture an updated look.
In order for the room to look harmonious and stylish, you must try not to mix a large number of shades. Otherwise, it will visually make the room difficult. The ideal option can be considered a combination of the color of the covers with curtains and a tablecloth.
White covers will help to perfectly refresh the room and make it festive. They can be made from almost any fabric. The choice of dark colors for wraps, for example, burgundy or brown, emphasize the refined taste of the owners of the house. In addition, such covers are practical for daily use.
Fans of bright accessories can choose for themselves cloaks of more saturated shades - lemon, raspberry and turquoise.
Any chair with the help of decor can be made original. For example, to decorate the back of a chair it will take a little less than an hour. For this, a piece of fabric, multi-colored shreds and threads are useful. Fold the fabric in half, make a pattern, sew and decorate with applique. Such a design of wraps will be relevant for decorating children's chairs, as well as in anticipation of festive events.
Another interesting and unusual technique for decorating the surface of chairs is a patchwork or patchwork style. A single composition is obtained from the combination of various tissue flaps. Many years ago, this sewing technique was used to save money, now patchwork is a real art.
First, materials are selected. Fabrics are sorted by texture and color. Based on the available shreds, a model of the future cloak is determined. Next, a product sketch is created.
After this, the patches are sewn into the fabric. Some craftsmen prefer not to sew the flaps, but to connect them with a hook and knitted yarn.
When choosing covers for furniture, buyers most often focus on quality and price. The widest selection of such products is offered by Turkish manufacturers. Consider a few of them:
- Karna. They offer a wide range of products at affordable prices. Usually monophonic colors are used.
- Arya. Models of stretch wraps are made of knitwear. A diverse composition of fabrics is used - from cotton to polyester. The color palette is saturated, there are monophonic models and with the addition of drawings and patterns.
- Altinkelebek This manufacturer has reasonable prices and excellent quality. In production, 100% cotton is used.
- Bulsan. This manufacturer offers universal furniture covers from high-quality Turkish fabrics. Composition - 40% cotton and 60% polyester. The abundance of colors allows you to choose a model for any design.
How to choose?
Chair covers are used everywhere not only in the kitchen, but also in the living room, in the children's room and in the study:
- Kitchen wraps for the home are made of practical fabric, easy to care for and in harmony with the general style of the room. For this, it is desirable to choose a dense material that can withstand everyday stress.
Cotton or synthetics are perfect for the kitchen, they will protect the chairs from dirt and ensure ease of cleaning. Covers can be issued and applique, suitable for the design of the room.
- On wooden chairs with a high back, it is preferable to choose removable covers, as well as seat cushions. For soft filler, you can use foam rubber, synthetic winterizer or holofiber. As upholstery material, products from genuine leather and eco-leather are also chosen.
- It so happened that school chairs are not the most comfortable furniture. To fix this, you can make a cover of natural suede. It is characterized by excellent strength and high performance. Such a product will make the back and seat of a child’s chair more comfortable. A soft suede cover on a schoolchild’s chair will please the child and is perfect for a child’s room.
- The youngest residents of the house have their own important piece of furniture - a highchair. Since the child is not always neat, and you want to keep the appearance of the highchair neat for a long time, for this you need to purchase a removable cover on it.
The selection of fabric for sewing such a cape plays a major role. The material must be selected hypoallergenic and possibly water repellent. It is best to use oilcloth for this. It is also important to remember the stuffing of the product so that the highchair is soft and comfortable. A synthetic winterizer is well suited for this.
Any furniture located in an apartment or house ages over time, upholstery breaks, scratches and irreducible spots appear. This also applies to chairs. But if the old chair has remained strong and it still has a strong foundation, then tailoring the wraps is an excellent occasion to return the item to its beautiful appearance. The most suitable fabrics for this are linen, cotton, velor, tapestry and velvet.
- Stylish chairs for the living room will advantageously complement other elements of the interior or will stand out from their background. A variety of chair covers will make the living room unusual and individual. Perfect for this product made of genuine leather, drap, velor.
- For upholstery of chairs with armrests in the living room or dining room, it is best to use tapestry fabric or jacquard. They will bring unique chic and sophistication to the room.
- Swivel chairs are actively used to work at a computer both at home and in the office. Typically, a cover for a swivel chair is made of leather or polyester, and a synthetic winterizer is used as a filler. The color scheme can be absolutely diverse.
How to care?
In order for the appearance of the material to remain presentable for as long as possible, you need to properly care for it.
Each product is recommended its own type of care:
- Jacquard lasts a very long time if properly looked after. Vacuuming and wiping with a damp cloth is sufficient for everyday care. If necessary, the wraps from this fabric can be washed in a typewriter, they are not deformed.
- Leather products are wiped with special tools for this type of material.
- From ecoskin pollution is removed using a neutral agent. Such wraps cannot be washed and stain removers should be used.
Chemicals should never be used for velor, so it can only be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner or a soft brush.
- Products made from linen and cotton are washed in a machine using the regime designed for this type of fabric.
- Knitted yarn wraps should be washed in cold water with a mild detergent. Using hot water will ruin the color of the item. Brushes cannot be used for such material.
- Microfiber products must be looked after with a vacuum cleaner. In case of stains, washing solutions are used.
To make the fabric more durable and water-repellent, it can be treated with special compounds. And products from expensive fabrics are better to be dry cleaned.
Beautiful examples in the interior
The chair looks original, decorated with a small piece of burlap, decorated with a sunflower. A great option for a country style interior. To create a fashionable design indoors, wraps made of denim are suitable. They look especially harmonious in combination with wooden chairs.
Black and white wraps accentuate the aristocracy and exquisite taste of the owners. This classic color combination is always in trend.
Velvet case in fuchsia color. For sewing this product use only expensive fabrics. Typically, such a product consists of a long base for a high back of the chair, as well as bows and other elements. This type of product must be treated very carefully, not cluttered with bags and other foreign objects.
A delicate turquoise pink cover for a child’s chair will surely appeal to the child. For such a cloak, it is desirable to choose a water-repellent fabric, practical and quickly removable.
Red and white removable felt covers in the shape of a Santa Claus hat will decorate any interior and create a festive mood in the house.
See how to make chair covers in the next video.