Photography is part of the lives of many people. We all try to capture beautiful moments and leave them forever in our memory. However, often people regret that the photos are blurry and blurry. What device to choose to get the perfect quality memories? Of course, Olympus cameras.
Most photographers look not only at the quality of photography, but also at the prestige of the company. The Olympus manufacturer has no problems with this and has never had it. The Japanese company has long been engaged in the production of cameras and accessories for them. The development of cameras was slow, experts were involved who helped create optical systems for the brand.
However, you should not think that this company produces only expensive products. The price range is very large, you can find a model with the right qualities at a very low price. The main thing is to look good.
On the Olympus website, cameras are divided into categories, depending on their functions and the series in which the model is included.
Olympus is a rather interesting company, which is definitely worth considering when choosing a camera. How do they differ from the rest?
First of all, by size. Cameras and lenses are much smaller than those of competitors, so it’s more convenient to hold them during shooting. Models differ in their characteristics, which allows you to choose the best for a particular user. However, in all cameras there is the possibility of approaching an object without losing image quality. Absolutely all frames are clear and bright. This is achieved thanks to modern technologies, for which the manufacturer spares no money. Even if your hands tremble, thanks to the stabilization system, the camera can capture the subject quickly, which will allow you to get an ungreased picture. Even with the worst lighting conditions, the work will be much better than other companies.
Of course, you should not take every word for it. First you need to study the models and their characteristics, and then the reviews of people who bought the camera. There are no perfect technologies, everyone has their own shortcomings, but you can find a device where there are the least of them.
A huge selection of compact cameras cannot but please potential buyers. There are 3 main series, which include various models. In addition, a variety of accessories and lenses can be purchased from the manufacturer. Everyone has their own characteristics, which we will understand a little lower.
It is the most popular series among beginners. Even a person without experience will get professional shots. Olympus engineers have tried to create cameras with a high level of performance. In addition, OM-D cameras have improved image stabilization and very fast autofocus. All this allows you to take clear pictures even in the worst of conditions. The design of the models is also pleasing - they look very stylish and modern. About 40 interchangeable lenses have been developed for this series.
Not all beginners understand why such diversity is necessary, but professionals know how much this affects image quality. Zoom allows you to shoot not only at home, with perfect lighting, but also on the street.
E-W1X and E-M1 Mark II cameras are more suitable for professionals . They are the best in performance, which is very important for photographers. Quick focus makes it possible to get up to 60 clear and bright frames per second.
Many will appreciate the E-M5 Mark II and E-M5 Mark III. The models are very light and compact.
They differ from the others by the presence of a protective housing, which is very important when shooting in the forest and in the mountains. Quality is also on top.
Beginners are advised by the E-M10 Kit. This is a mirrorless camera with interchangeable lens support. There is the possibility of 3D shooting, which even professionals will appreciate. The optical stabilizer allows you to get clear shots. On other cameras, novice photographers do not always manage to avoid blurry images. The model shoots 8 frames per second.
If you want to buy a mirror device, then the best option is E-5. Excellent photo quality, autofocus and a minimum of 5 frames per second are provided.
Quite an unusual series, especially in terms of design. Olympus creates digital cameras that are very similar to the old ones, but have all the modern features. All of them are mirrorless, so if this is an important criterion for you, then it is better to consider another series. Learn more about PEN-F and E-PL10.
The PEN-F model has interchangeable optics, high resolution and a speed of 10 frames per second. Small camera with lots of features. Unlike previous models, it has a resolution of 20 megapixels and produces photos with increased sharpness. Also a positive quality is the presence of five-axis mechanical stabilization. The manufacturer greatly increased the sensitivity of PEN-F, which also pleases.
In general, a good shooting device for both beginners and professionals.
The E-PL10 stands out for its compactness and excellent technical characteristics. The model allows not only to photograph objects in excellent quality, but also to shoot 4k video.
The main difference between the E-PL10 is that the screen leans down 180 degrees. This will please video bloggers rather than ordinary users. Available in white, black and brown.
Ideal cameras for adventure. All models in this series are small and protected from almost everything: water, frost, shock. The most popular model is the TG-Tracker. Demand is also in the TG-5 and TG-2. Consider them in more detail.
TG-Tracker has a viewing angle of 204 degrees , is a waterproof model with a built-in flashlight. In addition, the camera has a folding display, GPS and electronic compass. The model can measure ambient temperature and pressure.
The Olympus Tough TG-5 camera is also fully protected from the effects of frost and shock. It can withstand a fall from 2 meters, 10 degrees of frost and immersion by 15 meters in water.
A huge number of functions are placed in a small model, which weighs about 200 grams.
TG-2 is not such a new model , but also quite popular among travelers. Outwardly similar to the previous camera, the functions are also approximately the same. However, the device is slightly smaller and lighter. If you fall from a small height, the camera will not crash and will not stop working, which is very pleasing. A GPS module has also appeared, which allows you not to get lost in a forest or a city where you have not been before.
After we figured out all the series and the most popular devices, the main question appears - how to choose a camera?
It is worth considering the criteria that will help you choose the best model for a low price.
- Camera features. First of all, you need to decide what the gadget is for. If you are a beginner and are going to take pictures of nature, cities and people, then you should choose a device from the OM-D series. If design is more important, then PEN. Those who are going on an extreme trip should take any model from the Tough series.
- "Mirror". Once you have decided on the series, you need to choose a model. Ask yourself if you need a DSLR.
DSLR cameras are used for photographs in difficult conditions. "Mirror" will save when shooting scenes in poor lighting.
- Junior model. As soon as a new camera appears, the previous one immediately becomes cheaper. Although most often they are the same in quality, the price difference will be significant.
- Used camera. Many are worried about the reason the device is being sold. Most often, this is due to the uselessness of the camera, and not due to the fact that it is bad or broken.
Professionals advise taking a closer look at a used camera, because this way you can save a huge amount that can be spent on additional equipment.
- Lens. Lenses can be divided into groups according to several criteria. But when choosing a camera, you need to pay attention to whether the lens is removable or not. Non-removable makes the design more airtight (protects against dust and moisture inside the device) and allows you to get beautiful photos. But it has its drawbacks: there is no way to choose a new one and improve the quality of shooting, depending on the conditions. A removable lens for the camera is important if you are a professional photographer. You have to carry huge lenses with you to get perfect images.
- Battery and battery. The most important criterion when choosing. Battery-powered devices are always ready for use, but you should carry spare ones just in case. Batteries have a small capacity, so they can be discharged at a time when the camera is really needed. Batteries are used in most models, because they are much more convenient. You can use the charge before taking pictures and not worry all day.
It is important that you always have a cable for charging the device with you. However, there are also drawbacks. They are quickly discharged, even when you are not using the camera, they are large and very expensive if you need to replace them.
- Microphone. Used to record video on cameras. A high-end microphone delivers high-quality sound.
- Memory card. Before buying a camera, you need to find out which memory card the device supports. Most often, an SD card is used, but the camera can be made under microSD, Compact Flash or XQD.
The capacity of the memory card must be large enough so that the memory does not run out during an important shooting.
- Remote release button. It is also necessary to pay attention to this. The button allows you to take photos at a distance of up to 100 meters from the camera, to shoot at a specified interval or time delay.
There is an infrared remote control, a cable remote control, a radio remote control and an interval timer.
Instructions for use
After you have chosen and bought a camera, you need to learn how to use it. First you need to review the contents of the package and configure the device. This can be done by studying the instructions for use that comes with the camera.
It shows all the markings by which you can understand what kind of device you purchased. A list of the main markings and everything that they indicate can be found below:
- ZD - lenses for SLR cameras;
- mZD - lenses for mirrorless cameras;
- SWD - supersonic focusing micromotor;
- Macro - for macro photography;
- ED - the presence of an ultrafine optical lens;
- MSC - the presence of a worm gear;
- Fisheye - designation of "fish" ("fisheye") lenses;
- EZ - motorized zoom control.
The instructions also contain information about the parts of the camera, installing a memory card, battery and setting the date and time. All of this is being studied first. The next step is to connect the charger. Before using the camera for the first time, you need to fully charge it.
In addition, you can find all the shooting functions, information on playback and erasing frames after shooting, as well as playback capabilities.
Olympus made cameras for all beginners and professional photographers alike. Large selection, low prices and excellent quality like absolutely everyone. Having tried it once, you can no longer use any other cameras.
Of the positive aspects, users note multifunctionality, appearance, high-quality assembly and low weight . Everyone notices how crisp and vivid photographs are obtained even in terrible conditions.
All firms have disadvantages, but Olympus has very few. Customers are not satisfied with the battery and the quality of night shooting on all models. But, with its excellent qualities and low price, these shortcomings seem trifles.
For an overview of the Olympus E M10 Mark III, see the following video.