Modern flooring is like art. It is important to choose the right material for practical reasons. At the same time, the aesthetic perception is no less significant: the floor covering should be outwardly attractive, fitting into the style of the interior.
Unusual design techniques are in fashion, for example, a combination of tiles and laminate. This solution is especially relevant for the hallway - the place where the floor is most susceptible to moisture and pollution.
Pros and Cons of Combining
Today, the approach to floor design is more demanding than before. The flooring should be attractive, reliable, easy to care for and perfectly preserve the beauty of appearance. Tiles and laminate look good together, and it is difficult to choose the best type of material for the hallway: this room at home requires particularly durable floor coverings.
After all, parquet or parquet board are rather weak types of finishes: they cannot be wiped with a damp cloth, they are afraid of the effects of detergents, quickly lose their attractiveness with daily floor cleaning.
The combination of tiles and laminate can be called the golden mean in the design of the floor.
This cladding performs several functions:
- it allows you to zone the hallway space, contributing to the organization of each site;
- through it, you can beat the lack of usable space by visually increasing the space;
- the lining method allows for areas with greater traffic to choose a more durable material, resistant to abrasion and weight load;
- she can make the flooring fashionable, pleasant and homely, imitating a different type of surface (including creating the appearance of carpet paintings that make the atmosphere of the room cozy);
- to bring your own zest to the interior by gathering together disparate objects of the existing environment.
At first glance, it seems that the two materials are quite different and markedly differ in operational characteristics.
However, practice proves: the combination of tile and laminate is a combination of reliability, quality and durability.
Both materials used are quality flooring. Combining them is a bold and fashionable design technique.
Such a facing has a lot of advantages, since it:
- appropriate in premises of various types (residential apartments, country houses, cottages, offices, studios, industrial premises);
- blends harmoniously into a different style of interior, regardless of direction, whether it is classic, modern or ethnic;
- can link together different types of decoration of all rooms of the home (for example, when the kitchen uses tile for the floor, and in the bedroom - laminate);
- often saves the family budget: if the hallway area is small, you can use the rest of the material after lining other rooms for work;
- It is an excellent solution for the design of flooring in any interior, allowing you to extend the operation of the floor and simplify its repair, if required by the case;
- allows you to correctly calculate the level of load on the floor surface, using in places of the greatest load material resistant to moisture, water and abrasive substances;
- brings style to boring interiors made in a single color scheme, paying attention to the sophistication of the design solution;
- is hygienic facing, harmless to users;
- allows the purchase of the right amount without overspending and adding material to the marriage, allowing, if necessary, changing the design of the flooring.
Both materials are convenient in that they make it possible to easily clad the structural features of the room (protrusions). If you wish, you can always buy raw materials, taking into account the existing budget and your own preferences, because often you do not need a lot of material. By the way, this factor facilitates transportation.
In addition, it is worth noting the quality of the finished cladding: laying tiles and laminate provides a flat surface, so the appearance of the floor is always impeccable.
This combination has several disadvantages.
The choice of materials should be deliberate. Not every mix deserves attention and admiration. Sometimes the problem lies in the selection of raw materials. For example, a laminate is more limited in color, the tile is selected for it, taking into account the texture and the correct thickness. If you approach the selection based on external characteristics, the flooring may differ in level of location, which may deprive it of attractiveness.
Well thought-out design matters. The process of decorating the floor is quite time-consuming: it is important to calculate each tile fragment, its location relative to the intended pattern.
If you do the design “at random”, the room runs the risk of becoming not just asymmetric: it can “leave” to the side, having a bias. Long preparation is, albeit small, but a minus. Not everyone will like the execution of the drawing with the application of each fragment of the pattern, its adjustment taking into account the seams.
Joints are a sore topic of repair. They are the weak point of the flooring. In addition to gluing basic materials and preliminary surface preparation, you will have to take care of high-quality raw materials for joining. Frequent cleanings can gradually wash the grout, and connecting structures often break out with constant mechanical stress.
What materials to choose?
It should be borne in mind that not every type of material is suitable for work. This is especially true for laminate, which is classified according to the degree of relevance in a particular type of room. For example, manufacturers offer 21, 22, 23 classes of material for living rooms, 31, 32, 33 classes are provided for commercial premises. The first varieties are simpler, not so durable, their structure is less dense, so this finish will last no more than 5 years. The second varieties are more expensive, although their operational characteristics are higher: such material is designed for 15 years of intensive service.
It is worth choosing a moisture resistant laminate made according to a special production technology. It is resistant to moisture and contact with water.
Such material can be used in rooms with high humidity. It is important that its class be at least 31: so it will correspond to the level of strength of the tile and will not be erased before it.
The choice of tiles is equally important. It should be outdoor: this material is much stronger than tile, the technology for manufacturing the ceramic version differs from the usual counterpart for the kitchen. Porcelain tile is created by molding and pressing under high pressure. You can choose both varieties: they are hygienic, wear-resistant, strong and durable. Masters believe that porcelain tiles are even better than tiles.
The only drawback of both materials is the cold, although today technology allows you to combine some materials with the underfloor heating system.
The entrance hall is somewhat limited in terms of combination, which is explained by a clear distribution of the degree of impact on the floor. The patchwork technique is eliminated: this way the space will be divided into parts, making a sense of disorder in the corridor.
The transition can be made out of the room into the corridor, connecting the joint of materials with a molding that overlaps the connection, reliably holding two materials and giving the flooring a monolithic look.
In order not to doubt how to properly stack (along or across), it is worth considering the features of the hallway.
The design of combining textures depends on the skill of the master: if there is no experience, it is better to combine materials through clear straight lines. Laying may look like an apron made of tile or laminate, framed by contrast. If mastery allows, the laying lines can be bent or twisted, moving to another room or a narrow corridor. Of course, this finish is more difficult to do than lay linoleum, but it eliminates the need for additional rugs that mask the surface of the floor covering or protect it from abrasion.
It is important to keep in mind that you should not select the perfect shade of tiles and laminate. Firstly, this will not work, because the slightest discrepancies will in any case be two or three tones. Secondly, this technique makes the flooring boring, devoid of attractiveness. Thirdly, the texture, which is different in any case, will be lost against the background of the general color spot.
In order not to rack your brains, how best to choose a shade and make a stylish design technique for flooring, it is worth considering three main ways to combine tiles and linoleum:
A mix of shades of one color scheme is an inconspicuous version of the floor covering with an emphasis solely on functionality, eliminating the emphasis on space.
It can be about the same light or dark colors, not contrasting with each other:
- universal (light wood + gray, beige + coffee with milk, sand + caramel);
- bleached with gray and beige (white + arctic, light gray, gray marble + bleached, pale sand + diluted khaki);
- honey and chocolate tones (golden + beige, chocolate + dark beige, brown-gray + gray).
The success of the choice is the simultaneous purchase of two materials: it is better to see how they fit together.
If the question of choice is open, and tile laying does not tolerate anymore, it is better to buy a coffee-color finish with milk in the same tone or with a stone texture. Any type of laminate is suitable for this tile.
Game of contrast
The technique, in which one shade is much brighter than the other, is the most popular. It’s easier to pick two tones, especially if they are both neutral. This will allow to further furnish the entrance hall with any furniture and accessories. In this case, it makes no sense to go to extremes, stopping the choice of a “black and white” solution, which has a spreading effect.
It is better to choose such contrasts:
- textured with light (brown + pale gray, cream, vanilla, beige) or saturated with khaki or marble gray;
- dark wenge with vanilla, zebrano with beige, bright brown with sand or golden;
- Mocha + honey, light gray wood + bog granite, white laminate and sandstone.
Imitation and drawing
In this case, the combination implies a bright tile pattern and a muffled tone of the laminate. The reception is divided into two groups: the use of a pattern and wood, marble texture, as well as a combination of texture and plain tiles.
The most interesting color schemes are combinations:
- terracotta and sand, dark beige and red-brick (an excellent solution for dark rooms);
- bleached beige with coral, powdery, peach;
- cold beige with diluted turquoise, lilac.
For harmony, you can use a pattern in which one of the shades matches the color of the laminate. However, it is important to consider: there should not be much support for one tone: this way the shade can merge into a single spot.
There are no restrictions if a creative designer is involved. He knows how to combine the incongruous so that the combination of materials looks appropriate, demonstrating a commitment to any style.
If you take the ideas of professionals as a basis, you can perform this cladding in the style of:
- Art Nouveau;
- high tech;
- Art Deco
The main thing for a successful solution is to take into account the furnishings: sometimes they are the ones who complete the interior composition in the right way.
In the choice of style, color and texture are important: in some cases, the interior needs dullness and nobility, some modern trends breathe simplicity, ethnic styles need a touch of vintage.
Since the laminate has the property of swelling with prolonged contact of the back with water, it is important to provide protection against moisture from entering the installation joints. To protect the design coating from water, you need to process the seams with a layer of mastic with a protective wax.
In addition, it is worth taking note of a few recommendations:
- when buying a laminate, choose the material on the locks: it is more practical than the option for glue, if necessary, it is easy to disassemble and remake;
- pay attention to the thickness of the laminate: the preferred indicator is 12 mm (it is more expensive, but the castle system will be more reliable);
- do not take smooth glossy material: it is slippery, easily soiled and shows any pollution (more practical than matte surfaces);
- to combine two materials without a difference in floor level, you can use special sills made of metal, plastic or cork substrate;
- bending contrasts is appropriate if such lines are present in the design of walls or ceilings.
Specialists recommend paying special attention to the quality of finishes. The purchase should be carried out in a trusted store with a good reputation: this eliminates the risk of acquiring low-quality raw materials.
When choosing a tile, pay attention to all fragments from the same batch: this will save the floor covering from different shades and make the finish monolithic. In addition, calibration and checking for chips are important: material defects can cause a difference in the level of two surfaces.
Hallway floor design
To understand what is a combination of tiles and laminate in the interior of the hallway, you can look at the zoning of experienced designers:
- the combination of sunny tiles and brown laminate with the texture of the board looks original, decorated with a rounded line and supplemented with a rug at the threshold in the same shade with the laminate;
- the interior in brown-beige tones will sparkle in a new way, if at the doorstep make a rug of delicate beige tiles of a small size, decorated with floral patterns;
- You can accentuate the ethnic interior with the help of bright color contrasts: you can zone the space with a clear straight line, decorate the threshold with a tile with an ornament, combining it with a dark-colored laminate;
- if there is no experience, but the experiment is simply addictive, you can put a tile on the threshold with a ladder: it is easier to carry out the work by combining two neutral shades by means of moldings or sills;
- the transition of materials can spread to other rooms: original look tracks from tiles on a beige laminate background;
- the combined technique of smoothing the interior is interesting: the contrast of white and beige finishes dilutes the dark spots of the room, making it softer with a curved line.
The combination of tiles and laminate flooring in the hallway is a stylish way to finish the floor. This is evidenced by the reviews left on the Internet. Those who made such a floor cladding note: this flooring decor looks elegant and cozy, it is unusual and attracts attention. In addition, it is noted in the comments that such a finish is practical: if necessary, the floor can always be wiped with a damp cloth, removing any dirt.
For more information on how to properly make a joint between tiles and laminate, see the video.