When buying a washing machine, people usually come not only from the set of proposed programs and modes of washing clothes, but also from the dimensions of the equipment, and the latter indicator is no less important. After all, the acquired type of equipment should ideally fit into the free space of the kitchen, bathroom or corridor prepared in advance for it. In our article we will analyze what sizes standard washing devices have, and also find out how the dimensions of these units affect their functionality.
Front and top loading machine dimensions
Many apartments, especially those built in Soviet times, the so-called "Khrushchev" do not have large areas of kitchens and bathrooms. Therefore, it is important to navigate the dimensions of the washing equipment well before making its purchase: after all, it will be very unpleasant to find out later that the washing machine does not squeeze into the space provided for it, for example, between the bathroom and the sink, or makes the passage in the corridor too narrow.
You need to choose a washing machine so that it goes into the doorway and generally fits your room well in size, without having to squeeze other household items already installed there.
In this case, it is necessary to make preliminary measurements of the free space reserved for the equipment in order to determine in advance the basic parameters of the device, such as width, height and depth.
It should be remembered that according to the standard, there should be a gap of at least 1 cm between the adjacent surfaces and the walls of your machine - this precaution is necessary to avoid contact of these planes during the spin cycle, when the machine can vibrate violently. Also, to connect the washing device to the supply lines, such as water supply and discharge hoses or power cords, leave at least 4-6 cm free space behind the machine.
Although the dimensions of washing machines are not rigidly unified, however, the developers of this type of household appliances adhere to certain standards of width, height and depth, which are primarily determined by the design and the availability of the provided functionality of such devices.
The dimensions of the washing machines are directly related to what loading method is provided for a particular model, as well as what is the volume of the drum. The depth of the washing machine primarily depends on these two indicators, but they do not affect the height and width of the appliance, so these two values remain approximately the same in all standard devices. In addition to standard, there are also non-standard models of washing machines, such as compact or, conversely, too large units, used mainly for industrial purposes. In our article, we will not consider them, focusing more on the characteristics of standard washing equipment.
Automatic washing machines vary in the way they load laundry. There are models with front and vertical loading. In the first case, the laundry is placed in the drum through the hatch located in front of the device, and in the second the loading hatch is located on top, which avoids tilting while laying the laundry inside the washing machine, however, it requires more free space above the device.
This moment makes it impossible to integrate such units, placing them under the countertop or sink. However, in the west, washing machines with vertical loading of laundry are more in demand. Such models have standard parameters for height, width and depth - these are 85, 60 and 45 cm, respectively.
Front hatch washing machines are the most popular in Russia. They are distinguished by an interesting design, their round transparent hatch through which you can observe the process of washing clothes, resembles the porthole of a spacecraft.
And the sizes vary depending on the type of device.
As mentioned above, the width of standard models of washing machines with frontal type of loading of linen is about 60 cm. This parameter does not depend on the height and depth of such devices and is always the same, with the exception of only semiautomatic devices and other non-standard types of washing equipment.
The standard height of the automatic washing machine is 85 cm, built-in devices usually have a lower height - from 82 cm.
Individual models reach 90 cm in height, however, such a parameter is also considered standard for these household appliances.
Distinguish between narrow and full-size models of this type of washing equipment. Narrow aggregates have a depth of up to 40 cm and can handle 3.5-4 kg of dry laundry in one wash cycle. Some manufacturers find it possible to increase the maximum load of narrow washing equipment to 4.5-5 kg by changing the diameter of the drum. However, in addition to the small depth of the device, which can significantly save space in a small apartment, such models no longer have advantages. Due to the shallow depth of the drum, the circulation of water during washing is difficult, which directly affects the quality of the wash. Narrow models are usually less stable and more prone to vibration, which increases the noise level during operation of such devices, as well as the degree of wear of their structural elements.
Full-size machines have a depth of 40 to 60 cm. Depending on the model, such aggregates wash 4 to 10 kg of laundry, which is very convenient for the average Russian family of 4-5 people. In addition to personal items, such machines do an excellent job of washing voluminous things, such as duvets and sintepon blankets and down jackets.
Such washing machines are very stable due to their considerable weight, and this, in turn, allows avoiding too much vibration during operation, which increases the operating life and reduces the noise level.
In addition, this type of household appliances has a higher quality of washing clothes due to the free movement of water with detergent dissolved in it throughout the drum.
Dimensions and functionality
The dimensions of the washing equipment are directly related to its functionality, which is determined not only by such characteristics as the maximum level of laundry load and silent operation, but also by the presence of various useful options and features. For example, the latest models of washing machines, manufactured by the South Korean brand Samsung, are equipped with Eco Bubble technology , in which the washing powder dissolves with the help of the generated air bubbles. Soap foam penetrates deep into the fabric fibers, effectively washing off the most persistent stains in record time.
Many models of LG and Electrolux washing machines have a special function for washing clothes using True Steam and Steam System hot steam. This technology allows delicate tissue to be delicately released from contaminants, allergens and bacteria. Some models have the ability to refresh linens with hot steam without the participation of water and detergents, eliminating small creases and creases, as well as eliminating extraneous odors.
For example, if things have been lying in the closet for a long time, while remaining quite clean, however, having acquired characteristic bruises and the smell of stale matter, they can easily be freshened with steam, while preparing for subsequent ironing.
The presence of these functions implies an increased drum volume, which also affects the dimensions of automatic washing machines. Equally important is the weight of this type of household appliances. The mass of modern standard washing machines ranges from 50-80 kg , and the noiseless operation of the unit depends on this indicator, because the heavier it is, the less it vibrates during the spin cycle, respectively, the noise level of such devices is significantly lower.
In order to ensure the noiseless operation of the device, its design provides for specially built-in weighting agents and balances that move depending on where the lack of mass is created.
Modern models of Korean washing machines Samsung and LG have special electronic balancing systems that minimize the level of vibration of devices due to changes in drum rotation speed.
Rating of the best models with standard sizes
Automatic washing machines are the most important household items that no housewife can do without. Due to the large number of models of various sizes, equipped with a wide range of functions, it is possible to choose a device that optimally combines indicators such as price and quality. Let's look at the best models of washing machines, differing in standard sizes, having won the largest number of consumer votes.
This washing machine has a depth of 45 cm and a maximum drum load of 6.5 kg. The advantage of this model is the ability to wash clothes that are not too soiled very quickly, in just 15 minutes, and in cold water. Its functionality also includes the following.
- Washing clothes with steam, which is very important for families with small children and people with a tendency to allergies. Hot steam not only perfectly dissolves washing powder, it effectively fights bacteria and allergens, but also at the end of the cycle completely flushes out powder particles.
- The additional rinse function also guarantees the quality of the wash.
- Modern Eco Bubble technology copes with persistent dirt, and an important plus is the option of pre-soaking dirty laundry.
- The AddWash function allows you to add forgotten linen or air conditioning directly during washing through a small additional hatch specially designed for this purpose.
- The inverter motor with direct drive provides a low noise level during operation, as well as increased wear resistance of its mechanism. The company issues a ten-year warranty on such engines.
- A special embossed drum delicately launders things from a thin fabric, creating a water layer that protects the laundry from puffs and spools.
- The function of autonomous cleaning of the drum, as well as self-diagnosis of malfunctions using a mobile device.
Bosch Serie 6 WLT24440OE
The depth of this washing machine is also 45 cm, however, the drum is capable of washing up to 7 kg of laundry in one cycle. The advantages of the model are such moments.
- An inverter motor worn directly on the drum, which reduces vibration during operation.
- The special relief of the drum, carefully capturing the laundry and protecting it from damage and the formation of spools.
- A wide range of washing programs, such as a special washing regime for children's clothes with the elimination of contaminants caused by various biofactors, an additional rinse that effectively rinses the rest of the washing powder, a washing regime for sportswear, jeans, shirts, underwear, as well as down jackets and voluminous items.
- Handwash modes for delicate types of fabrics and silent nightly laundry.
- Short wash lightly soiled items in just 15 minutes.
- Intelligent system for determining the weight of linen, reducing the time of the washing cycle, and therefore, energy consumption.
Silent in operation and ultra-economical machine with the highest energy efficiency class A +++. The depth of this model is 46 cm, drum loading up to 7 kg. The functionality includes the following features and details.
- Inverter motor.
- A special drum that gently erases the finest types of matter.
- The program of short washing of linen in 15 minutes.
- Various programs for washing different types of clothes, such as washing children's clothes, sportswear, synthetic fabrics, wool, bulk items and down jackets.
- Steam washing with antibacterial effect and anti-allergy effect.
- Special antibacterial coating on the surface of the drum and powder tray.
The depth of the unit is 45 cm, the maximum weight of the laundry when loading is 7 kg, and the increased diameter of the hatch, which facilitates the laying and unloading of linen, makes this model very convenient to use. Other advantages of this model include the following points.
- Inverter motor providing a low degree of vibration and noiseless operation of the unit.
- Washing clothes with steam.
- The special surface of the drum, providing a gentle approach to things from the most delicate types of matter.
- Technology “6 movements of care”, adjusting the speed and direction of rotation of the drum for a specific type of fabric.
- Many programs and washing modes.
- An additional rinse function that effectively releases laundry from powder residues, which is important for people prone to allergies.
- A short laundry program when the entire cycle takes 30 minutes.
You can find out below how to properly install a new washing machine.