Acquaintance with the house always begins with the entrance hall, and therefore every housewife tries to keep order in it whenever possible. A variety of interior items help to put all things in their places: cabinets, cabinets, chests of drawers and shelves. But unfortunately, it is not always possible to arrange all the pieces of furniture you like and have to be content with one closet in which it is not possible to arrange all things.
As a rule, shoes have to be left near the door, which inadvertently affects its condition, and, of course, does not affect the appearance of the hallway in the best way. Fortunately, there is a way out - buying a bookcase for shoes.
The shoe rack in appearance resembles a small cupboard, but unlike it does not have doors, and some models lack side walls. It is equipped with shelves located at a certain height from each other. The number of shelves in different models varies from 3 to 5, and in some products more, it depends on the dimensions of the whatnot and its design features.
A bookcase, as a piece of furniture, has a lot of advantages:
- For small hallways, a shoe rack is a real find. It is not always possible to place objects with limited dimensions in rooms with limited space, and for a compact whatnot, a lot of space is not needed, just a few centimeters are enough.
- Thanks to the presence of shelves, the shoes will always stand neatly on them. In addition, in some models the shelves are located at different heights, and therefore not only low shoes, boots and sandals can be put on the bookcase, but also high boots.
- Any shoes stored on shelves are always in the public domain, there is no need to look for the right pair for a long time, which is especially important when you are in a hurry. An open storage method has a beneficial effect on shoes. In closed cabinets it is impossible to dry wet shoes, and to put them near the door to dry means to take a seat, so the presence of whatnot will be very useful in this case.
- Many models of shelves, in addition to storing shoes, are equipped with special holders for small items: brushes, spoons and other shoe accessories will always be at hand.
All whatnots are subdivided into different groups according to shape, material of manufacture and number of shelves:
- Traditional models of this piece of furniture have a rectangular shape, which is similar in some ways to a chest of drawers. But there are models that have a completely different configuration. They can be rounded, square and even non-standard elongated at the top of the form. There are models that fit almost any hallway - these are corner options.
- Due to its shape, the corner bookcase will fit into any corner, since the choice of these models today is very large and you can choose the size that fits exactly in the intended space. Thanks to this form, you can not only use the corner space with benefit, but also transform it.
Both corner and traditional rectangular whatnots today are multifunctional items and, in addition to storing shoes, they can also be used for other purposes.
- Recently, many models with a seat have appeared . Without a doubt, the thing is convenient, allowing to save not only space, but also money for the purchase of ottoman.
- Another interesting variant of whatnot is a model on wheels . The presence of wheels, unlike stationary products, allows you to move this piece of furniture to any free place. This property is especially true during the cleaning.
- The combined options of whatnots have recently gained more and more customer acceptance. Here are options with a table in the upper part, and models with special devices for small items, and many other products with different sizes and made of different materials:
- The most affordable models are made of plastic . The plastic model fits perfectly into the interior in a minimalist style. A simple and convenient model from this material is not afraid of moisture, and therefore you can safely put wet shoes on it.
- The varieties of plastic models include designs based on metal-plastic pipes . The frame of such models is made of pipes, between which a special dense fabric is stretched, forming shelves. The sides are also covered with this fabric. In appearance, the bookcase resembles an organizer.
- In addition to plastic, whatnots are also made of metal . Do not be afraid that over time a bookcase made of this material may rust; today, such a surface is treated with special means. The metal model can have a wide variety of forms. Forged products are very beautiful, in which the elegant form and thoughtful functionality are perfectly combined.
- Models with simpler shapes will fit perfectly into any modern interior. Some stainless steel options are telescopic. Their design provides for the possibility of installing additional modules. Very convenient function: at any time you can either remove or add shelves. Both narrow and wide configurations are on sale.
- The most traditional models are bookcases made of wood . The wooden structure is distinguished by reliability, durability and stability. They look great in any interior, whether it is eco-style, Scandinavian style, Provence or classic. If desired, the color of the model can be changed, because painting a wooden surface does not require special skills, and a change in shade can help to significantly revive the hallway interior.
How to make it yourself?
Any thing made by yourself, claims to be the exclusive and original model.
The whatnot is no exception, all the more so to make it quite simple:
- As a basis, you can take any material you like. It’s easiest to work with wood, and from tools you will need a hammer and nails of a suitable size. It is not necessary to buy new boards, old ones will do, the main thing is to process them correctly.
- For the manufacture of whatnot, you can use building pallets or obsolete interior items (cabinet, chest of drawers).
- The basis of such a whatnot is a box that can be made of any width and height. The choice of dimensions of the model depends on the initial dimensions of the material and the availability of free space in the hallway. The number of shelves can be made by anyone, the main thing is that it is convenient for you. The design can be stationary with an arrangement both on the floor and on the wall, or it can be mobile with two or four wheels.
How to choose the right one?
Any piece of furniture, including a bookcase, must be selected taking into account the most diverse features:
- First of all, you need to decide on the dimensions of the product. To do this, you need to measure the location of the proposed installation, namely the width, and calculate the height of the proposed option. If the installation location is directly under the hanger, then it is better to stay on low models, since there is a possibility that the high design will come into contact with things on the hanger.
- With very limited space, it is better to stay on corner or narrow multifunctional models. When choosing a model, it is worth considering the number of shelves. The more people living in an apartment or house, the more shelves will be needed.
- When choosing a model, it is worth considering the material of manufacture. The whatnot belongs to pieces of furniture that are intensively operated daily, and therefore it is worth stopping your choice on wooden or metal structures. They are more reliable and durable compared to plastic models.
- And an equally important aspect when choosing a whatnot is its compatibility with all interior items.
See how the shoes can be stored at home in the next video.