A wheelbarrow is a familiar garden-building attribute, without which it is impossible to imagine serious work. Its functions are simple - assistance in the transportation of a wide variety of cargoes across the territory of a construction site or household plot.
The name of the inventory comes from the ancient Slavic verb "tachit" (roll, carry). In the 1980s, the slang form of the word appeared, denoting a car. That is, in the popular consciousness, the image of a certain vehicle (conveyor) on wheels and with a body has steadily entrenched. It is these basic structural elements that have remained unchanged for decades. But with the cars for the entire time of their existence, there have been some changes.
In the simplest version, the car was a triangular wooden structure with one wheel in front and a kind of loading platform made of boards, the ends of the bars diverging from the wheel became handles. The need to transport more diverse cargoes gave rise to different forms of cargo tanks - boxes and troughs. The increase in carrying capacity required attention to the wheels.
In some versions of wheelbarrows, they began to be placed on the sides of the cargo body. Having gained stability, such a trolley lost its maneuverability, its movement required a fairly flat and wide surface. It was rather difficult to provide such luxury in the conditions of building sites or a garden plot. Such trolleys were made with one drawbar at the end, a transverse crossbar was fixed on it, which actually represented the handle, there were wheelbarrows with two handles fixed to the sides of the body.
A modern car is the result of many trial and error. Its main structural elements are as follows:
- bent frame from a steel pipe with a diameter of up to 40 mm, turning into handles; often the bends of the frame are supports that hold the wheelbarrow in an upright position during loading (unloading);
- one or two wheels located under the body;
- the cargo body can be integral or mounted from separate elements; the material can be wood (plywood), metal or plastic, and the shape of the body can be different - a solid metal or plastic version has smooth contours and is called a trough, and a prefabricated body is a box that is assembled in various ways from separate elements.
Why is it needed?
As follows from the description of the device, a wheelbarrow is a simple and reliable hand conveyor. Nature freed man's hands. Throughout their history, people always carried something in their hands. The volumes and mass of the portable became larger, which became a kind of incentive for technical solutions. Yes, now people are transporting millions of tons of various cargo over vast distances, but the need for a universal manual conveyor does not disappear. Her car satisfies.
A modern construction car is a very reliable construction, with the help of which it is possible to successfully transport loads to an incredible 350 kg. Even 100 years ago, this would require harnessing a horse or a donkey to the wagon. The shape of the body allows you to fill it with bulk cargo, for example, sand, in no less surprising volumes - 100-120 liters. Given that the bucket includes about 10 liters, and it weighs up to 20 kg, you can imagine what labor costs await a person when carrying the same volume in buckets.
Of course, when a dozen young healthy serf peasants are waiting for work on the estate, as has happened with the owners of estates for centuries, the presence of such a conveyor may not be relevant, but if you have to do everything yourself or by the strength of your household, the advantages of the car are obvious.
Modern cars can be divided into two groups.
- Garden They are lightweight in the full sense of the word, their carrying capacity is lower, and the structural elements are thinner. Wheels can have spokes, more often garden cars have only one wheel, sometimes there can also be a pair of wheels. Plastic trough or thin trough. Such a conveyor can be successfully used by an elderly lover of gardening when transporting seedlings, seedlings, crops from beds, water containers for irrigation or a solution for treating plants from pests.
- Construction. Such cars have a heavier construction, which allows them to be used for transportation of heavy loads. They are designed, of course, for a healthy man. Even an empty construction two-wheeled reinforced wheelbarrow is a serious unit weighing more than a pud. As a cargo tank, a stamped steel trough with a wall thickness of at least 0.8 mm, with a beveled front edge, which somewhat facilitates unloading, is used. For large construction wheelbarrows, a 2-wheel scheme and a reinforced frame from a pipe with a diameter of up to 40 mm are usual. The diameter of the wheels rarely exceeds 30 cm, rather large width of the wheels is characteristic for wheelbarrows. They can be either with a camera or tubeless.
Most hoisting ones have cast pneumatic tires and a welded steel rim mounted on bearings.
Despite the apparent simplicity and unpretentiousness, cars can be quite expensive. Even the most well-known manufacturers are engaged in the release of this inventory, however, in this case, the price of the product does not mean any ultramodern know-how, often you have to pay extra for the brand's fame. Cars from well-known European companies, in particular from the French brand Haemmerlin, can cost up to 7 thousand rubles. Quite high-quality Chinese and Russian counterparts in price reach 4 thousand rubles.
The most important selection criterion should be reliability. It is advisable to check the welded joints, they should be well processed. The frame from the thin pipe will gradually bend. It is better to immediately choose thick pens. Rubber or plastic coatings should not scroll.
It’s important to “try on” the car before purchase, whether the handles are conveniently located, how the weight is distributed. In a good car, the main load falls on the wheels. Such a conveyor is convenient to operate, does not roll over during loading and does not overload the arms and back during transportation. When choosing a wheelbarrow for construction work, it is best to immediately purchase a reliable two-wheeled model, designed for a large mass of transported cargo, otherwise overloads of a light wheelbarrow inevitable during the operation will lead to its rapid breakdown and the need for re-purchase.
If you do not stint and buy a reinforced construction car with a volume of at least 100 liters, you can get a universal vehicle. It can be used not only at the construction site, but also in the garden, coping with the transportation of heavy building materials and construction waste. Your transporter will become an excellent assistant in gardening affairs, which cannot be said about the specialized garden version of a wheelbarrow; it is difficult to use it at a construction site due to its low carrying capacity. Recently, universal garden-building models have appeared.
They are much stronger than garden ones, but they are also slightly inferior to construction ones, since they can fail, first of all, with wheels.
In the process, it is important not to overload the wheelbarrow, which will extend the life of the bearings and wheels. In some cases, overload can cause deformation or damage to the frame and cargo trough. In order for such a simple and reliable vehicle to last a long time, it is important to take care of it, just like any other equipment. It is better to put the wheelbarrow in storage washed from dirt, cement and other building mixtures, which will reduce the risk of corrosion.
Check the tire pressure. It is unacceptable to transport goods on flat wheels.
You can learn more about how to make a two-wheeled construction trolley with your own hands.