Plastic trim is no longer a novelty. However, few people know how rich the range of PVC panels is, what their positive and negative sides are. In addition, they can radically change the interior of the bathroom.
PVC panels are a type of polymer material for decoration. A similar panel is a sheet, the basis of which is polyvinyl chloride coated with a varnish. This substance can be called truly unique, because it is used to make clothes, shoes, edges and coatings for furniture, parts for household appliances, packaging, all kinds of films and sheets for finishing ceilings and walls, as well as pipes and much more. This is possible due to its properties such as resistance to chemicals (alkalis, oils and certain acids, solvents) and water, incombustibility. Such a light and heat resistant material is a dielectric and lends itself well to processing.
There are repeated disputes about the safety of using polyvinyl chloride. If high quality raw materials were used for its production, there is nothing to worry about. In the production of this compound, toxins are usually released, however, as in its disposal, it is therefore important that the whole process takes place under close supervision.
Advantages and disadvantages
In many ways, as a facing material for a bathroom, plastic can compete with everything else, for example, ceramic tiles or plaster. Although comparing them completely would be wrong, since they are still different in their physical characteristics.
Let's look at the advantages of polyvinyl chloride tiles.
- the conditions in the bathroom rarely exceed the maximum permissible, so this finish will last a very long time;
- the presence of an internal air gap (it, by the way, can be filled with foam materials) can improve sound and thermal insulation;
- do not allow the spread of flame (non-combustible panels);
- a large selection of color, type of coating and size of panels;
- safety (lack of toxic substances in the presence of control at all stages of production);
- quick installation and ease of transportation (due to the low weight of the products);
- the ability to hide the imperfections of the walls or ceiling, save on materials for leveling their surface, place mortise lamps on the surface, and hide the wiring inside;
- ease of cleaning and maintenance;
- low price has become synonymous with affordability (compared to the same tile).
As we can see, the panels have many advantages, which is why they are so popular.
Under the yoke of a positive impression, not every buyer thinks that they also have weaknesses.
- low strength (this is due to the thinness of the canvas and low density);
- difficulties arise during installation if the plumbing is located close to the wall;
- with insufficient sealing of joints and the occurrence of cracks under the panel coating, condensate can accumulate, which contributes to the appearance of mold;
- reduction of usable area, since a reliable frame is needed to securely fasten the panels - this method of decoration is not suitable for narrow bathrooms, where the bill is centimeters.
All problematic features (except for increasing strength) can be resolved by applying an alternative type of fastening or by performing an antifungal treatment. A damaged element can always be removed and replaced with a new one. Beautiful, moisture-resistant, flexible, high-quality panels will decorate your bathroom.
As already mentioned, PVC panels are presented in a wide range.
All PVC panels for the bathroom can be divided into:
They differ in parameters. Wall plastic panels are shorter and denser (thicker). Material of a larger width (in the form of sheets) is often used for wall decoration, so as not to create additional difficulties during installation.
Depending on how the panels are connected to each other, they can be divided into two types.
- Seamless. The connection occurs in such a way that the seams between them are almost invisible.
- Embossed. Some connection methods make joints more visible. These include models with a chamfer, the location of which forms a kind of striped pattern.
By structure, the panels can be single-layer or the so-called sandwich panels - they consist of two layers of polyvinyl chloride, between which a filler (expanded polystyrene or polyurethane foam) is pumped. Multilayer panels, as a rule, withstand a large load (for this, stiffeners are inserted into them) and give greater protection against cold and noise.
Depending on the size and shape of the panel can be divided into several types.
- Leafy - they have the most impressive sizes. The thickness of such panels is small (3-6 mm), which makes it possible to install them in different ways, but at the same time makes them vulnerable, since even a small blow can leave a dent or pierce it through.
- Rack and pinion - in fact, they can be called leafy, only narrower (they are even confused with lining). Dimensions of wall panels vary from 150 to 300 mm in width and up to 3000 mm in length. The thickness is about 6-10 mm. Panels for the ceiling are thinner and longer (up to 10 meters). They are used most often, since they are easier to mount than wider ones. And at the same time, their installation takes less time than with smaller elements. The arrangement can be horizontal, vertical or diagonal.
- Tiled - their name speaks for itself. They can be either square or rectangular. The size on one side can reach 1000 mm. Their placement on the wall takes longer, but gives a greater decorative effect, since you can combine products of different colors (like mosaics). And the location can be different - rectilinear or diagonal (relative to the floor), in even rows or with an offset.
It is impossible to give a full dimensional grid, as domestic and foreign manufacturers have different standards. However, fitting to a certain size will not be a hassle. Having made the calculation and the corresponding marking, especially thin products can be cut even with a construction knife.
The palette of plastic panels corresponds to the internationally recognized RaColor and RAL catalogs and can include both the main red, yellow, blue, black, and their various shades (more than two hundred items). PVC itself is colorless, with a slight white tint. It acquires color by dyeing in production or as a result of lamination.
Depending on the appearance of the panel can be divided into:
Elements with a pattern can be:
- imitation of wood, metal, stone or any other material;
- pattern (floral, geometric);
- photo printing (they can be unrelated to each other or make up a large panel);
- interspersed (e.g., sparkles).
The surface of each element can be:
- smooth (matte, with a glossy sheen, metallic or mother of pearl effect);
- textured (under a tree or stone - if you hold it by hand, you can feel the wood fibers, roughness of minerals).
To improve the appearance, you can use decorative stickers. Given the constant contact with moisture-saturated air, it is better if they are vinyl. Also, as a decor, you can use lamps that are acceptable for the bathroom, and they can be embedded not only into the ceiling, but also into the walls.
Separately, you can select panels with a three-dimensional effect, which is achieved in two ways:
- using graphic drawing;
- special convex parts of elements.
Despite the impression made, it is better to place them on one side in such a way as not to overload the visual system.
How to choose?
Plastic can be of both low and high quality. Before purchasing, check with the seller for the necessary supporting documentation. Undervalued compared to the average market - an occasion to think. It is important to take into account the reviews and reputation of the manufacturer.
To check the strength, you need to click on the plastic or try to bend the corner. If stored improperly (for example, from exposure to sunlight), such products become brittle and may begin to crumble.
First of all, you need to pay attention to the surface of the panel. It should not have dents, scratches or other defects. The edges should be smooth, without nicks. Be sure to check how well the elements fit together. To do this, take samples and try to connect them.
For the canvas to fit well, it must be perfectly even. You can check this parameter by placing it on a flat surface, such as a table. If you see a gap between them, refuse the purchase. Particular attention should be paid to the drawing, if any. Check the brightness of the colors, if not on the entire package, then at least two or three top ones. If the panels should form a picture, you need to make sure that all the details from it are in stock. Coloring should be uniform throughout the area.
When choosing a color, it is necessary to take into account its properties, such as the ability to reflect. With the help of a particular color, you can visually resize the room. For the bathroom, this is very important (especially in Khrushchev or other small-sized apartments). Enjoy indoor lighting. The glossy surface reflects light well, so the room will be lighter.
It is better to purchase additional elements in the form of skirting boards and corners for them right away if you want their color to match. In addition, the choice will be influenced by what function the panel will play. If you need to protect the walls from moisture - ordinary panels are enough. For insulation and sound insulation it is better to give preference to a multilayer version with an intermediate filler. For a perfectly flat surface, sheets that provide a seamless connection are suitable.
The length of the panels depends on their location. The location of the panels on the long side of the work surface requires appropriate elements. Some difficulties may arise during transportation.
How to calculate the quantity?
You can calculate the number of panels for a bathroom as follows:
In addition to panels, you need to calculate the amount of consumables.
- Start Profile (UD). It will go along the perimeter of the room above and below and along the contour of the door.
(3 + 5 + 3 + 5) * 2 = 32
32+ (2.2 + 2.2 + 0.9) = 37.3
We add 10%. We need 41 meter profile. It will be fastened with screws with a pitch of 40 cm. Accordingly, we need 103 of them.
For a profile running parallel to the floor, fasteners are needed. If they will go in increments of 50 cm, you need 70 * 0.5 = 35 pieces.
The most common method of wall or ceiling cladding is frame. Its essence lies in the fact that a structure is installed on the wall, on which, in turn, the panels are attached. The frame can be wooden, metal, plastic or combined. The width between the rails depends on the size of the fastened elements. For slatted panels and any other elongated shape, only transverse trims can be fixed (that is, they should be perpendicular to their length).
Wall preparation is required only if its lining has lost its properties - it has become damp, damaged, and begins to collapse. Then all layers - whether paint, tile or plaster - must be removed. The wooden parts that will be involved must be treated with impregnation - it reduces the risk of their possible damage. For metal, preparation is not required.
Continuing our calculations, let's consider the order of work.
- First you need to install the UD support profile along the upper and lower border of the walls and the doorway. However, if the bathroom has a window, the actions regarding it should be the same. We attach the profile to the wall in the right place, mark its shape. In the middle we drill holes where we insert the plastic base of the self-tapping screw. Then you need to attach the profile next to it and transfer to it what you got. Then you can make holes in it and attach it to the wall. Specialists usually drill through metal, but for beginners it is not speed that matters, but the result.
- Then we install the corner posts. They must be put in two so that they form an angle. We drill them as described above.
- They insert CD profile details of the desired length. They are attached to the wall with metal mounts or racks (for the ceiling, respectively, use suspensions). In the places where the pipes exit, additional crossbars are necessary. At all stages of the work, it is important to check the accuracy of the parts to be installed using a level.
After installing the basics, we proceed with the installation of the panels themselves.
- Again, start from the corner. At the first panel, you need to saw off the comb or use the appropriate angular extension.
- The panels are interconnected by means of a ridge and a groove where it is inserted. Fixing on the crossbars occurs using fasteners in the form of clips.
- All cutouts in the area of pipes, sockets, fixtures, windows or doors are made in advance. The last panel will most likely have to be narrowed.
When the bathroom or any other plumbing is already installed close to the wall, another installation method is possible - glue. The preparatory phase is very important for him.
- We remove all layers of decoration, carefully remove all residues, clean the base from dust and grind.
- We examine the surface of the base for irregularities. We make markings for plaster.
- First, putty deep cavities and cracks. Then we apply the primer, the required number of layers of plaster and putty again.
- After hardening, putty should be sanded and a primer suitable for the selected adhesive applied.
Bonding panels is very simple. In accordance with the instructions on the packaging, a suitable adhesive must be applied to the wall, panel or both sides at once. Then you should press it to the right place. That's all. Accuracy and dexterity are important here, because usually the glue sets quickly. The edges of the panel cover are covered with skirting boards. You can stick the panels on the wall or on the frame (for example, wooden).
How to wash?
The bathroom requires constant care. Firstly, due to hygiene considerations, since moisture is an ideal medium for the growth of bacteria. Secondly, the combined bathroom is a common place, so it should be nice to be in it. When cleaning the bathroom, you may come across drops of water or already dried up traces of them, as well as soapy dirt and residues of face and body care products.
PVC panels do not require special care, they are resistant to most detergents and cleaners. In the case of simple pollution, it is not necessary to experiment. Start with a cloth or cloth moistened with plain warm water.
If this does not help, you can clean it in other ways.
- Put on gloves. Using a rubber spatula or any other device that cannot damage the panel, you can wash the seams well.
- Sponges should be soft so as not to scratch the coating, especially if it is glossy.
- For cleaning, you can use household or any other soap, dishwashing detergent or glass cleaner. You can also cook gruel from soda. All this should be applied to the place of contamination, and rinse off after half an hour.
- Ammonia dissolved in water gives a good effect.
- After washing, the surface must be wiped dry. A polish is usually used for shine.
In order not to spend a lot of time on cleaning, make it a rule to wipe wet traces and soapy droplets with a clean, dry cloth before leaving the bathroom.
A similar finish is optional for all walls. With it, you can hide the pipes under one of them or select two opposite pipes to expand the space.
Visually, you can make a room more spacious by making all surfaces light. It can be either white, or any pastel shades close to it.
The bathroom often lacks light sources. To fix the situation, you need light panels with a glossy finish, complemented by multilevel illumination and mirrors. Add to this the overflow in drops of water and in the end we will get a room flooded with light.
The basic rule that applies to the selection of panels for the bathroom is that all items must be in some way coordinated. Wall decoration echoes the color of the faucet, the fringing of the mirror and other accessories, including towels. There is not much golden hue, but it is he who is the link between all the elements.
In order not to overload the interior with variegated color combinations, take panels of two or three close shades of the same color - they will look especially organic.
Unusual panels with a floral pattern reminiscent of wallpaper look original. In general, when thinking about a drawing on the panels of a bathroom, shower or toilet, you should opt for either a discreet small one located throughout the area or repeating with a certain regularity print. By the way, here you can also include the mosaic, and you can use its different types together. Or give preference to one or two large images on a calm background.
The design of the bath in bright colors is optional. Dark colors - such as black or dark blue, look especially impressive. A glossy surface improves lighting, while floral motifs dilute the black background.
The bathroom can also be divided into functional parts. For example, using the color of the walls and ceiling, highlight the area near the mirror, bathtub or shower.
One of the most popular interior design options is the arrangement of panels to a certain level. The top of the bathroom can be finished with the same material, but of a different color, or you can use any other, fixed without a frame, to save space. The sheathed part usually hides communications, from it you can also make a screen for the bath.
About the advantages and disadvantages of PVC panels for the bathroom, see the next video.