Pelargonium pelargonium is becoming increasingly popular among flora lovers. Every summer she gives the owner an unforgettable flowering. If you are fascinated by this plant, read the article on varieties of ampelous pelargonium and the features of caring for it at home.
The ivy pelargonium, a native of South Africa, has captivated European travel scientists with its beauty. An unprecedented flower was brought to England in the 16th century, where it became widespread and universal love. In the XIX century, an evergreen plant conquered all of Europe. In countries with a favorable mild climate, pelargonium decorates balconies, courtyards, terraces and cafes all year round. In Russia, pelargonium in the cold season is an inhabitant of apartments. In spring and summer, it pleases us with its lush flowering on the street.
Pelargonium pelargonium is a perennial shrub from the geranium family, which is why it is often mistakenly called ivy or ampelous geranium. It has sprawling creeping shoots up to 1 meter long with dense, fleshy pentagonal leaves resembling a shield. From this came another name for the culture - thyroid pelargonium. The flowers of the plant are collected in elegant inflorescences-umbrellas on long peduncles. Among the decorative shiny foliage, bright clusters of pelargonium look mesmerizing. Its color is extensive: a gamut of colors and shades - from snow-white to burgundy. The exception is yellow. In the form of flowers in culture are simple, semi-double and double.
Pelargonium grows in a plentiful cascade, dropping its stems down. Perfect for vertical gardening of arches, facades, creating all kinds of floristic figures, hedges, looks great in hanging planters and balcony drawers.
Crystal Queen Rose
A beautiful spherical bush with long lashes up to 1.5 meters, lush and long flowering. In one inflorescence, up to 9 large buds are formed. It is found in all shades of pink, sometimes with red or white blotches. Unpretentious in care, perfectly propagated by seeds.
Great Balls of Fire Violet Blue
Pelargonium with large semi-double inflorescences of saturated lilac color with raspberry streaks in the middle. The shoots are sprawling, beautifully clustered, forming a lush cloud. The variety grows quickly, adds up to 40 cm per year.
Crystal Queen White
The variety is characterized by powerful stems up to 35 cm long, able to withstand wind and rain. The plant is strong, unpretentious, blooms all summer. To create a magnificent cascading composition in a box, 2 plants are enough. Snow-white flowers of a simple form resemble soaring moths. Grown from seeds.
This is a great hybrid - a mix of pelargonium of various colors. It looks very enchanting. The shoots are excellently bushy, there are many flowers, flowering is long and plentiful.
F1 Summer Waterfall
Bright festive mixture of saturated flowers, assembled in a single bouquet. In one pot or drawer it looks fabulously beautiful. The variety is not capricious, willingly grows in partial shade. The greens are very bright, glossy, sometimes light and dark shades.
It has amazingly beautiful inflorescences on long flowing lashes. This powerful color cascade will decorate any gazebo, balcony, loggia.
Great balls of fire merlot
Very beautiful pelargonium of a rich cherry color with huge hats of terry flowers. Against the background of dark greenery, purple flowers are simply mesmerizing. The variety is not afraid of heat, excellently bushy, blooms for a long time.
Orange, Temprano Orchid
Magnificent terry variety, with large flowers of pink-orange color. It forms a beautiful spherical shape.
Pelargonium, born in hot and sultry Africa, loves the abundance of light and sun. At home, she will grow beautifully on the south, south-east and south-west windows. In the exhausting heat of the house, it is better to shade the plant with curtains. Pelargonium can also be placed in other places, but then it will not give abundant flowering: additional lighting will be needed. It will be required in the winter, when daylight hours are too short.
In summer, the optimum temperature for pelargonium is + 20–25 degrees. The air should be warm, but not stagnant and dry, so the room should be well ventilated. In winter and autumn, the temperature of the flower content drops to +15 degrees. The plant is rearranged in a bright, but cooler place. He doesn’t like to stay near heating appliances - in winter it will be hot, but if this is the permanent residence of your green pets, try to provide them with maximum comfort:
- use an air conditioner and humidifier;
- you can cover the battery with a wet cloth;
- ventilate the room several times a day.
Ampel geranium is very drought-tolerant, but it is not worth bringing the plant to a completely dry earthen coma. In hot summers daily but moderate watering is possible. Better not add water to the plant than pour it. This can lead to diseases that end in the death of the flower. In winter, watering is reduced to 2 times a week. If the plant is in a too hot room, water the plant more often so that the substrate in the pot does not dry out.
Important! Do not spray ivy pelargonium and do not wash in the shower! The plant does not like this procedure. Spraying is carried out only during the treatment and prevention of diseases.
From the beginning of the growing season, complex fertilizers with a nitrogen content have been used. With the advent of buds, they switch to phosphorus-potassium mixtures. The plant also needs trace elements: sulfur, magnesium, iron, iodine. In summer, the plant is fed 1 time per week. In winter, pelargonium can be fed 1 time per month.
The bush is planted in a pot so that the distance from the earthen coma to the walls of the container is no more than 2 cm, otherwise the flowering will have to wait a long time until the roots fill the entire space. 1/3 place drainage in the pot. The soil for the plant should be loose and light:
- humus - 1/5 part;
- sheet land - 1/5 part;
- turf land - 1/5 part;
- peat crumb - 1/5 part;
- humus - 1/5 part.
Prepared pelargonium is planted in a pot and slightly compact the soil.
Pelargonium can be propagated by sowing seeds and cuttings. For cultivation, it is convenient to take seeds with a shell of nutrients and plant them in a container with moist soil without deepening. After 3-6 days, green shoots will appear. The grown plants are transplanted into small pots, and then in a cache-pot. Many lovers prefer to propagate pelargonium by cuttings. At the end of February, shoots stretched out over the winter are cut so that new branches grow from the side buds. Cuttings need to lie down for several hours, so that the cut is tightened with a film. After this, you can begin to root the plant.
For this you need:
- prepared cuttings;
- Plastic container;
- drug "Kornevin";
- peat tablets;
Getting to the root:
- put peat tablets in a container according to the number of cuttings;
- pour the tablets a little, they will increase in volume;
- with a stick, deepen the holes for planting in tablets;
- we dip the leg of each handle in “Kornevin” - a root formation stimulator;
- plant shoots in tablets.
Time will pass, and fresh leaves will appear on the cuttings. This means that the plant is rooted.
Diseases and Pests
- Dropsy On the inside of the leaf plate, watery blisters appear that gradually turn brown. The disease causes excessive waterlogging of the plant, its organs begin to be saturated with water. Treatment:
- stabilize the process of moisture evaporation;
- dry the soil.
- Ring spotting. On the leaves of the pelargonium appear small spots of a round shape with a brown fringing. The plant grows slowly, the leaves begin to curl. The disease can be caused by pests or a deficiency of minerals. Treatment:
- preparations "Fundazol", "Vitaros";
- regular spraying of the plant;
- micronutrient fertilizing.
- Blackleg. The basal part of the stem acquires a brown, and then almost black color. This suggests that the roots of the plant rot. There is a disease due to poor drainage and improper watering. It is very difficult to fight the disease. It is better to cut healthy shoots. If the plant is not very neglected, you can try to save it. Treatment:
- cessation of watering and top dressing;
- processing by Previkur or Ridomil.
The causes of the disease:
- waterlogging of the soil;
- poor ventilation of the substrate;
- excess nitrogen.
- Rust. The disease is transmitted with water, spreads very quickly. Clear brown and yellow spots appear on the leaves. On the inside of the leaves are pustules - oval bulges filled with a spore of rust fungus. Treatment:
- cessation of plant hydration;
- processing "Topaz".
- Gray rot. The fungus rapidly affects all parts of the plant, abundantly covering them with extensive gray spots. Treatment:
- remove diseased parts of the plant;
- stop watering and fertilizing;
- apply the preparations "Fundazol", "Vitaros".
- Powdery Mildew Flour appears on the leaves and stems of the plant, similar to flour. Often this suggests that the plant is suffering from an infectious disease, and the powdery mildew is an accompanying symptom. Treatment:
- removal of damaged leaves;
- dusting the plant with colloidal sulfur;
- treatment with Vectra and Oksikhom fungicides.
Pelargonium sometimes becomes a treat for pests, especially if it is on the street. Insects not only harm the plant by their presence, but also lead to further infectious and viral diseases of the plant. The sooner the parasites are detected, the more likely the plant to remain alive.
- Spider mite. The leaves of the plant are twisted inward, whitish spots appear on them, strings of cobwebs - a spider mite has taken root on the plant. The parasite not only drinks plant juices, but also spreads infectious diseases. Effective ways to combat the spider mite are the preparations Fitoverm and Actellik.
- Thrips. Signs of the appearance of thrips - very small insects of black color: brown leaves, growths and spots on their inner side. The plant stops developing and withers before our eyes.
To control pests, arm yourself with drugs:
If the room where the plant lives is very hot and dry, thrips can “register" there and live year-round. Try to lower the temperature and humidify the air in the house.
- Whitefly Whitefly is a small midge with white wings. The female insect lays larvae on the leaves, they multiply rapidly and form entire colonies. To destroy insects, it is necessary to remove all the leaves on which the pests have settled, and process the bush with Aktara.
- Mealybug. The appearance of the parasite is indicated by small white mucous lumps similar to the dough found on the leaves and stems of the plant. Parasites must be collected by hand with a damp cotton pad. The bush must be washed with green soap and treated with "Actellic" or "Actara".
- Root Worm. Rootworm is a small parasite with an oval-shaped flat body. Settles in the roots and slowly destroys pelargonium. A pest may appear if the soil in the pot is flooded, or the plant has been on the street for a long time during wet and cool weather.
Save the plant:
- we extract pelargonium from the soil;
- thoroughly clean the roots of it;
- we treat fresh soil with Aktara or Vidat;
- plant a plant in another pot;
- water "Aktara" according to the instructions.
- Nematode. Small worms, thin and transparent, which eat the roots of the plant and inevitably lead to its death. Unfortunately, chemistry is powerless here. The plant must be destroyed in order to avoid infection of other pelargonium.
Signs of the appearance of a nematode:
- rapid wilting of the plant;
- the appearance on the roots of nodes similar to balls.
- Aphids. Tiny transparent insects that feed on pelargonium juice.
Alarm when aphids appear on a plant:
- falling of foliage;
- twisting and drying it.
Treatment: “Mospilan” and “Fitoverm” preparations.
- Termites. Dangerous large ants.
Destroy them help drugs:
- spraying with aspirin at a dosage of 1 tablet of aspirin in 8 liters of water helps.
- Slugs and caterpillars. These parasites that attack plants are well known to everyone. They feast on leaves, leaving extensive ragged holes on the leaf plates.
Means against slugs:
From the caterpillars will help:
- Before chemical treatment, pests are collected manually.
To keep the plant healthy, give it a little attention every day, and your beautifull beauty will thank you with its magnificent flowering.
For how to properly care for pelargonium, see in the next video.