Comfortable, beautiful and well-equipped kitchen is a dream for many housewives. Size in this case matters: if the cooking room is also spacious - life is beautiful. However, those who have a small area for culinary fights should not be upset. With a little effort, you can create coziness and comfort on 6 square meters.
Where to start?
We get rid of everything that is possible to remove. The main goal is to free up an already small room, take out unnecessary things, increase the usable area. You can remove the door and slightly expand the doorway, but then it will be necessary to install a hood. The mezzanine - this relic of the past - is better to take apart, and its place will be taken by modern, beautiful and functional lockers.
If there is access to a balcony or a loggia, there is a chance to significantly increase the usable area by combining it with a kitchen. Brave people decide to redevelop. The decision is radical, it will require additional financial and time costs, as well as trips to various authorities to obtain permission. However, an increase of a small area in Khrushchev by even one square meter is a victory.
At this stage, it is necessary to prioritize and make an important decision: the family will have lunch in the kitchen or in the room.
Trying to combine cooking and eating on six square meters, the effect of the repair can be reduced to zero. It is better to create optimal conditions in which it will be convenient and pleasant to cook, and you can eat in the next room.
Some useful practical planning tips:
- kitchen cabinets and built-in appliances have the letter G or P;
- bulky stove should be replaced with a more compact and modern hob (do-it-yourself will have to refuse baking);
- carefully calculate the required number of outlets, so that later you do not have to use extension cords and tees;
- the door, if decided to leave it, should open outward;
- it is better to replace the old wiring, carefully selecting the wire cross-section based on the power consumption of the devices.
In modern kitchens, as a rule, there are several powerful electrical appliances at once. And the dangerous thing is that they often turn on simultaneously. For example, in the morning we boil a kettle, and at this time the pasta is heated in the microwave, and the toaster makes us crisp bread. The load at this moment is increased, so the wiring deserves special attention.
You can’t rush at the planning stage - you need to think over every detail, measure the distance, consider various options, and consult with specialists.
Additional ways to save
- The refrigerator must be chosen high so that it occupies the smallest possible area (in the event that it was not taken out to the living room).
- We choose tall cabinets to make the most of the distance to the ceiling.
- Chairs and a table can be selected folding or sliding, occupying a minimum of space and allowing you to use as many items as you need at the moment.
- If the window sill is narrow, it should be replaced with a wider one and used as a work surface.
- Compact roller blinds are the best option for a kitchen in Khrushchev.
Ordinary curtains will not work in this case for two reasons. Firstly, classic curtains will take up too much space. Secondly, the curtain fabric will absorb a variety of kitchen odors.
Each of the methods helps to “regain” a little free space. You can apply everything - you must take into account the individual characteristics of your home.
Visual techniques for increasing space
- Furniture facades are best chosen in light, pastel colors that soothe and delight the eye.
- Mirror surfaces and bright lighting (both daytime and evening) will also help visually increase the room.
- You should not experiment with the color of the ceiling. White color for a small kitchen will be optimal.
- The tile or laminate, laid diagonally, visually enlarge the room.
About the floor material must be said separately. The debate about which is better: tile, linoleum or laminate, do not subside. Each material has its own pluses and fans. But the tile is more durable, not exposed to water. To remove oil stains or food particles from it is much easier.
Linoleum is not so strong, when moving the refrigerator, for example, linoleum is easy to tear. Screed irregularities, if present, will become visible over time. Traces of the legs of the chairs will also be evident.
Laminate flooring can suffer from water, which is always present when cooking. Therefore, for the floor, the best material is ceramic tile.
Starting repairs is always difficult. But with proper planning, careful selection of materials and constant monitoring of the progress, success is guaranteed. In the kitchen, people spend a significant part of their life - this is not only a place for cooking and eating, it is also a source of coziness and comfort.
Next you will find an overview of a small kitchen with a built-in refrigerator.