People of working specialties, and just amateurs to craft at home, need a place where all the necessary equipment will be laid. If the equipment is small and light, belts are often used. But when you need to bring a lot of tools of different sizes and weights, you can not do without a quality box for such products. You can purchase such products in a store, or try to make a box yourself, making it convenient for use in specific conditions.
A tool box may have a different appearance, depending on the size and weight of its contents. In order to correctly choose or make such a product for yourself, it is important to understand the differences between the options that exist at the moment.
Variations of design are distinguished depending on what exactly will be placed inside.
- Unprofessional - it can take the form of any capacity in which there are compartments or compartments for placing the tool. Most often used bags and boxes of various sizes.
- For power tools - they have special compartments in which you can conveniently and compactly place a screwdriver, drill, there is a place for a grinder. The peculiarity of such products in the presence of the main, large compartments for the tool, as well as several small ones for related items.
- Professional - suggest specific departments for a specific tool. Convenience lies in the minimum dimensions due to the clear placement of all content.
- Universal - may have a different appearance and material of manufacture. The essence of such boxes is that they contain a large number of a variety of tools. Due to the presence of many drawers and the ability to place partitions in them at will, you can correctly and conveniently organize your workspace.
If you want to build a homemade box for a carpentry or other tool, you should be guided in the types of designs of such products.
- Case - a container having a rectangular shape with a handle on top, for which it can be moved. Inside, there are often several compartments, the size of which can be varied using removable partitions. Convenience of the cases consists in the miniature size and lightness of the whole structure.
- Container - is a box consisting of separate containers that are folded into a single structure according to the principle of nesting dolls, and laid out up or to the sides. Usually this option is quite voluminous and heavy, because it is often equipped with castors for convenient transportation.
- Multibox - has the appearance of a small building with drawers moving forward, as in a storage chest. The height of the boxes can be either the same or different depending on the tools that are located there. More convenient will be those designs in which it is possible to lay almost all the available tools.
Having full knowledge of what tool boxes are, you can correctly determine what exactly will need to be done and what kind of product will have.
Necessary materials and tools
The tool box can be made of various materials.
- Wood is the most affordable option in the price range, which is easy and convenient to work with. To make a box yourself, you can take a board or a durable sheet of plywood with a thickness of 10 to 18 mm. It is possible to independently adjust the height and width of the structure, as well as its internal structure.
- Metal - steel or metal sheets are often used. The minus of such products in weight, the boxes are heavy, but they are much more reliable and stronger than wooden, which is their advantage. If you want to make a durable container for storing tools, but lighter, you should use aluminum.
- Plastic is the easiest material for tool boxes, which are difficult to make yourself, but can be purchased at any hardware store. A variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and designs allows you to choose exactly the option that will be most convenient.
The process of creating any structure requires the availability of materials and tools for its creation.
As already noted, among the main materials from which you can make a box, you can distinguish:
- plywood of the required thickness, not less than 10 mm;
- a board, mainly from pine;
- metal - steel, aluminum;
Depending on the material chosen, you need to have with you a set of specific tools to create the desired structure. Among the most popular are:
- cutting tool - saw, hacksaw, grinder, knife;
- drill with a set of drills;
- scissors for metal;
- hammer with nails;
- chisels of various sizes;
- manual frezer;
- ruler with a pencil;
- roulette wheel;
- screwdrivers or screwdrivers with screws;
- waterproof glue.
If the box will have a simple design, then it is worth making a lock in it that will prevent the container from suddenly opening. For this, a miniature snap-on metal lock can be used, which snaps on two metal ears connecting the base of the structure and the cover. You can use plastic latches - they are more convenient to use, but they need to be installed correctly and carefully used.
It is important to consider the design of the product itself. It can be made in the form of a spacious box inside which the tool will be laid, or have a more complex structure with additional containers.
The guides will make it possible to use these roll-out containers with great convenience, as well as save useful box space.
To make a reliable and convenient toolbox with your own hands, you need to have some knowledge about its design. The most important requirements are as follows:
- the right choice of material and its thickness for the bottom of the structure - it is he who accounts for the main weight during operation;
- selecting material for the structure, it is worth assessing the weight of its contents after full loading, it is very important that the walls of the product do not deform under the created load;
- if possible, it is better to choose the material for the box that is not flammable;
- the finished product must be such that there are no gaps or openings through which dust or dirt can get inside, which will negatively affect the tools.
The manufacture of a tool box can take a different amount of time and effort, everything will depend on the experience of the master and the complexity of the design. In order for the construction to get the required dimensions, it is worth initially drawing it on paper, and then transfer the image to the material from which the object is planned to be created. It is the template that helps to see all the design flaws even before its creation. To avoid unnecessary errors, do not skip this step.
The presence of all the necessary tools for work is also important, because the thickness and density of materials can vary significantly, and it can not work out with one thing. You can cut parts out of plywood using a hacksaw, a saw is suitable for wood, a grinder is needed for metal. The same applies to the assembly options for the entire structure.
If nails and screws are suitable for wood and plywood, then you only need to boil the metal.
By the time the box is created, you need to precisely determine the design of the product, it can be:
- made from a barrel;
- mounted on wheels.
The procedure for creating a tool box will vary depending on the selected material and design features, so it is worth considering each option separately.
For the manufacturing process of a wooden box, you need to determine its appearance, as well as the amount of inventory that will be in it. Most often, such structures are made of plywood or wood. The first option is appropriate for small products in which something too heavy will not be carried, the second - can accommodate any equipment that will be needed in the work.
The easiest way to make a box will have the following sequence of work:
- draw a drawing on paper, check the correctness of all measurements;
- pick up moisture-resistant plywood with a thickness of 8-10 mm for the walls and 15-18 mm for the bottom, transfer the drawing from paper to material;
- cut out all the details and process the edges with sandpaper;
- glue the elements together, while it is best to initially choose a groove system so that the structure is more durable;
- after gluing, knock down all joints with thin nails to strengthen;
- for ease of transportation, you need to supplement the structure with a handle - it can be either metal or made from improvised materials that can withstand the weight assigned to it.
The construction of a wooden box will have a similar course of work, but in this case, fixing the parts is not with glue and grooves, but with self-tapping screws and nails.
Products can have a lid and be supplemented with pockets of fabric material for maximum filling of the drawer with tools.
It is more difficult to make a metal box at home, but the product will turn out to be durable and reliable. Iron boxing is created according to this principle:
- selection of appropriate material, easy and reliable, convenient to use;
- marking and drawing of the future structure;
- cut the product with scissors for metal;
- accurately bend all the details, creating the necessary design;
- the side parts should be higher so that they can be additionally bent, reinforcing the entire structure.
The size of such a drawer can be any, and if desired, you can also make a lid for it, which will either be worn or closed by soldering the curtain to the drawer. For a lockable product, it is important to make a lock, especially if the equipment inside is dimensional and heavy.
At home, a plastic tool box can be made from a canister or a large plastic water bottle. The process of creating such a product is quite simple.
- Find the right material for the job.
- Determine the cut line of the main part from the top, which will be used as a cover.
- In the upper part, make 2 holes on one side and one on the opposite. In two holes, ropes will be threaded, fixing the lid on the container, in one - a bolt will be attached to the washer, which will act as a fastener.
- To connect both parts in the canister, holes are made in the same place as in the lid.
- Pull the rope into the holes, fasten, make a loop in front.
The convenience of this option is its simplicity and accessibility, in addition, the capacity is lightweight, and it is convenient to carry thanks to the existing handle.
The choice of option for self-creating a tool box completely depends on the abilities and ideas of its creator, as well as the inventory that will be transferred there.
See how to make a budget DIY tool box with your own hands in the video below.