Stretch ceilings are often used in interior decoration. One way to install this design is a harpoon system.
Features, advantages and disadvantages
This method consists in the fact that special profiles are installed around the entire perimeter of the ceiling. They are quite thin elastic plates made of aluminum with a rubber liner. In the context, the liner device is similar to a bent fishing hook - a harpoon, hence the name of this mounting system.
The harpoon method has several advantages that make this system quite popular:
- The main advantage here is the absence of a gap between the wall and the canvas. The material fits snugly against the wall, with no need for masking tape.
- This method will be ideal for multi-level ceilings. You will not need to use additional inserts to install them.
- Installation of the ceiling is quick enough, in time it takes only a couple of hours.
- The ceiling surface does not stretch and does not deform. The canvas is fixed securely, after installation there are no creases.
- The system can carry heavy loads. When the apartment is flooded a floor below, you do not have to replace the canvas.
- The ceiling can be removed if necessary, and then installed several times.
- Such a system practically does not “conceal” the height of the room; therefore, it can be used in rooms with low ceilings.
But this design has several disadvantages:
- This system uses only PVC film. The fabric is not used, because it practically does not stretch.
- An accurate calculation of the stretch web is needed. It should be less than the ceiling area by only 5%.
- Harpoon profile is quite expensive. This is one of the most expensive methods of attaching suspended ceilings.
How to mount?
- Installation of the ceiling begins with measurements. Accuracy is important here, so this procedure should be done by a professional. This is due to the fact that the canvas itself is welded to the harpoon before installation, and it will no longer be able to trim it.
- After all measurements have been made, it is necessary to cut off the canvas and weld a harpoon around it.
- In the next step, an aluminum profile is mounted on the wall. Since the strips of most manufacturers already have holes for screws, you need to attach them to the wall, mark the places where you need to drill the wall, and install the profile.
- Then, using the mounting spatula, the harpoon is tucked into the profile and fixed on it. At this stage, the canvas is straightened under the ceiling.
- Then the canvas is heated using a heat gun, thereby it is leveled and occupies the desired position.
- After all the work is completed, technological holes are made in the ceiling and reinforcing inserts and fixtures are installed.
Other systems and their difference
In addition to the harpoon method, the bead and wedge mounting systems are often used.
In the first method, the canvas is attached to the profile using a wooden plank called glazing bead, and then the edges are hidden under a decorative baguette. The advantage of such a system is that the accuracy of the measurements is not important here, because the canvas is trimmed after attaching it to the profile. That is why the error in the larger direction is permissible.
The wedge system is similar in technology to a glazing bead, but the canvas is attached using special wedges. This system is indispensable when installing the ceiling in conditions of very uneven walls, since the profile used in this method is quite flexible, and all the structural defects are hidden under the decorative edge.
About the harpoon system for attaching suspended ceilings, the reviews are positive. Customers who have installed such ceilings at home say that this installation method has increased reliability. Even after flooding and discharge of water from the structure, it acquires its original form without any consequences. Such a ceiling is not inflated with temperature differences in the house, as is often the case in simple systems. But many regret the impossibility of installing fabric cloths with this method, and also believe that the cost of such a design is unreasonably high.
You can learn more about the harpoon mount system from the video below.