Ardo washing machines have long been present in our market and are famous for their reliability and many years of trouble-free operation. However, even such a renowned technique breaks down. In this article, we will look at how to repair a washing machine of this well-known manufacturer with our own hands and analyze the most frequently occurring malfunctions.
Design features of Ardo washing machines
Ardo washing machines from an Italian manufacturer are a moderate combination of price and quality. All units of the described brand have differences in their modern design and thought out to the smallest detail set of necessary functions. This brand supplies the market with devices with the possibility of frontal or vertical loading of linen - such as, for example, the Ardo Effective model.
All washing machines for the Russian market have been assembled in Italy since 1997. Models intended for export to Russia are made taking into account the rigidity of tap water, and special materials are used to assemble some units.
The key to the durability of these washing machines is their simplicity of design and maintainability of components and assemblies.
High-quality washing machines from the Italian manufacturer in their design have the following important components:
- tank - is a special tank in which water accumulates and mixes with used detergents (powder, conditioner);
- drum - a movable perforated structural member made of strong metal (located in the tank);
- electric engine - a simple electric motor that rotates the drive mechanism, is responsible for the rotation of the drum;
- pump (or drain pump) - a water electric pump pumping water;
- TEN - an element for heating water in a typewriter;
- bulk electric valve - in Ardo machines this component is fixed on the area of contact of the body with the bulk hose;
- control module - the electronic unit of the unit where the programmed microcircuit is located;
- control panel - it can be mechanical or electronic;
- loading hatch and locking device;
- detergent dispenser .
In addition, the design of branded units includes: shock absorbers, sealing gum and filters, sensors, hoses and nozzles .
The bulk of modern washing machines of the described brand has the ability to display error codes when detecting malfunctions. Knowing what a specific error code means, you can fix this malfunction at home yourself.
For ease of understanding of this “language” of your washing machine, the instruction manual has a special table that shows the codes of all the malfunctions, their solutions and the reasons for their appearance.
Causes of breakdowns
The causes of breakdowns can be many, ranging from the carelessness of the owner and ending with the wear of the mechanisms. Consider the most common failures.
- Shipping bolts not unscrewed. They are necessary for long-term transportation of the machine from the manufacturer to the buyer. Their task is to prevent the tank and shock absorbers from shaking too much on the road so that the counterweights do not damage the shock absorbing devices inside the machine itself. After delivery and installation of the machine at a permanent place of work, they must be unscrewed, which owners often forget to do. Of course, the machine will not work normally with them.
- The car was not level. In this case, at high speeds, the machine will shake and make a lot of noise. Excessive vibration due to improper fixing adversely affects bearing life. For the correct exposure, you can use the construction level.
- Water of poor quality. Everyone knows the problem of scale. It is formed in teapots, boilers and other heating elements that have constant contact with tap water. Washing machines are no exception. Their heating elements also suffer from this. After a certain period of time, the water begins to heat up more slowly, and then the heater will completely fail.
- Violation of the operating rules. Some breakdowns in the operation of washing machines arise due to the negligence of their owners and neglect of the rules for using the devices. Such items include a strong overload of household appliances or the launch of a half-empty drum in work. It is undesirable to overfill the detergent drawer. Excess wet powder dries up and clogs the feed channel, causing the machine to stop working. The required amount of detergent is indicated in the instruction manual.
- Water does not flow after turning on the unit. There may be a clogged water supply hose or filter at the entrance to the machine. In any of these cases, remove the hose and rinse it and the inlet mesh. The second option is a malfunction of the solenoid valve at the inlet. It does not work because there is no signal from the control unit or the fighter has exhausted its resource.
- The machine does not turn on after pressing the start button. The cause may be a disconnected network cable. If the wire is turned on, and the work still does not start, then you need to check the technical condition of the plug and socket and, if necessary, redo them. Disassemble and see the connection of contacts. If they are weak or oxidized, they must be cleaned.
If you decide to repair the washing machine with your own hands, then before that you need to understand exactly what exactly does not work and what you need to pay attention to in the first place. Before replacing a specific part, a diagnosis must be made.
In this case, the best diagnosis is a visual inspection. An obvious malfunction can be noticed even with a quick inspection.
Burnt contacts, cracks in the case, places of contact oxidation - all this suggests that the desired malfunction is located here.
Modern Ardo machines have the ability to self-test . When automation detects the slightest malfunction in the program, the system displays a code on the display that corresponds to this malfunction. If the owner of the machine sees this code in time and knows what it means and how to fix the identified malfunction, then he will be able to avoid serious damage in the future.
Common faults and solutions
Typical breakdowns are those types of malfunctions that are inherent in any washing machine, regardless of brand or country of manufacture. Often, modern household appliances are faced with such a malfunction as:
- water does not drain;
- water does not heat up;
- the door does not open;
The causes of malfunctions that are specific to Ardo brand washing machines are most often as follows.
- Water does not drain. Such a malfunction occurs mainly due to a blockage in the drain channel, which consists of a drain pump and a drain pipe. In rare cases, the problem lies in the malfunction of the pump.
- Water does not heat up. This can be determined by cold things and not washed stains. The cause of this breakdown is a malfunction in the operation of the heating element or its complete failure. External negative factors (scale and limescale) gradually bring the heater into an inoperative state, but sometimes the worked out resource of the part can also lead to this.
- The drum jammed . The electric drive on the Ardo washing machine is belt-driven and works so that if the drive belt jumps off the pulley or breaks, the drum stops. Thus, the breakdown can immediately be determined independently. To resume working, you only need to put on or replace the belt again.
- Noise, clicks and extraneous sounds during washing while the drum is spinning. Most often, such a noise suggests that the time has come to immediately replace the bearings on the drum cross. In rare cases, noise is caused by a foreign object (coins or buttons) getting into the tank. You can change bearings at home yourself.
- Water has flowed . First you need to understand where it flows from, and only then draw conclusions. This may be a burst hose for supplying or draining water or a bursting bearing seal.
- Programmer Failure . In this case, the machine may not start, stop during operation or work incorrectly.
- Pouring water into the tank . Such a malfunction may be due to incorrect operation of the pressostat or a malfunction of the electronic unit.
- The washing does not start . The reason for this is often not fully closed door lock. To solve this problem, just open and close the door again.
Let us consider in more detail how to independently cope with some of the most common malfunctions.
Water does not drain from the machine
The first step is to manually drain the existing water from the tank in order to proceed with the repair. For a detailed explanation of how to do this correctly, refer to the instruction manual of the specific model.
After the water drains, you need to open the hatch of the "mud filter" and unscrew the filter itself.
After removing all foreign objects from the tray, look at the state of its seat. There, too, there should not be excess garbage in the form of coins, buttons and other small items.
Next, insert the filter back and tighten the cover. An important point is to properly install the sealing gum. It should lie evenly over the entire plane, and the rib should not protrude beyond the clamping plate. Otherwise, under improperly installed rubber gasket there will be a constant flow of water.
If, after cleaning the filter during the next wash, the water does not drain again, this may indicate more serious malfunctions, such as incorrect operation of the control module or a failed pressure switch.
Noise and iron rattle during operation
Such work of the washing machine may indicate the need to replace the bearings on the drum. This problem can also be identified by tumbling the drum. If it has play relative to the tank, then this indicates the deplorable state of the bearings and the need for their speedy replacement.
After these important parts become completely worthless, their seat will begin to break, and this will lead to the fact that new sets of spare parts will have nowhere to put.
The shaft will begin to cling to the flange and after a while it will finally break it. When replacing bearings yourself, carefully remove the caliper so as not to damage it.
The door handle has broken
This is a very annoying situation, but you can open the door without calling a professional master. To do this, remove the top cover. Now we can access the inside of the castle. Using a screwdriver or round-nose pliers with curved lips, you need to pry the metal tongue of the lock part and the door will open. The spring and the entire mechanism remain intact, and only the door handle will need to be replaced.
Before starting repairs, you should familiarize yourself with some useful tips for their successful implementation.
- When choosing new parts for the repair of a washing machine, make sure that they are of high quality and that they match your equipment model. Parts of unknown origin may result in repeated repairs.
- Before installing a new part, inspect its seat - there should be no dirt and lime deposits on it . If any are present, they must be removed so that the “fresh” spare part fits as tightly as possible. This will avoid distortions and incorrect operation.
- Disassemble the machine carefully, without making sudden movements , so as not to accidentally damage important parts and structural connections.
- The best repair is the one that was not there. In other words, if for some reason you still partially disassemble the washing machine, then do not be lazy and check all the available parts and elements. So, when removing the back panel, you will see a belt, a heater and a motor with all its wiring. Make a visual inspection of all contacts, and in case of their oxidation - clean.
- It is not out of place after removal to clean the contact terminals to ring the motor and the heater for excessive resistance or poor contact of the brush. Prevention is the best way to avoid repairs.
The following video describes the possible malfunctions of the Ardo washing machine.