A sofa, a folding chair, a bed are standard pieces of furniture for organizing a berth in any house. If you want to add a touch of aristocracy and sophistication to your home interior, then it's time to pay attention to antique pieces of furniture, for example, an elegant, miniature couch. This elegant sofa with a headboard will not only solve the problem of accommodation for a short rest. It is also a very beautiful, delicate element of the interior, which was used in their homes by wealthy people, aristocracy, and nobles.
What is a sofa couch?
A couch is a compact sofa for one person. Depending on the model. it can look like a sunbed, deck chair, bench. A distinctive feature is the lack of a back. Has one / two armrests or be without them. Despite the abundance of all kinds of models, they are all united by a common feature: a couch is a single-seat version of furniture that you can sit on or lie down on.
The history of the appearance of this furniture is rooted deep in ancient times. Then the couch was perceived solely as an element of luxury. She received a second birth in the XVII-XVIII centuries. Luxurious baroque couches could be found in the houses of nobility, as a decorative decoration of the interior.
Later, the couch began to appear in almost every house: in the bedrooms or in the boudoirs of beautiful ladies. An elegant shop not only served as an interior decoration, but also made it possible to sit elegantly on it, adjusting clothes or a shoe.
Today, couches of different sizes and designs adorn the interior of the bedroom, living room, nursery, hallway. They can be found in an apartment or a private house, they serve as furniture for the design of a balcony, cottage or garden plot.
An ideal option when the couch is combined with the main furniture in color, material and design.
The head of the couch (if it is provided for by the model) can have a different shape: a semicircle, square, rectangle, triangle. The furniture frame is made of wood or metal, and textile or leather is used as upholstery.
The couch can be laid out (forward or to the side) and be non-folding. There is also a model transforming into a cot. When folded, the cot is hidden under the seat. Many models are equipped with built-in compartments for bedding, blankets, pillows, rugs, bedspreads.
What is the difference from an ottoman, a cape, a sofa and an ottoman?
Often, an elegant compact sofa is called an ottoman, sofa, couch, ottoman, not particularly going into the differences between these items. Meanwhile, they all differ in design features, appearance, and the presence of certain elements.
"Couch" in translation from French means the word "sleep". This is a single seat with a soft seat. May have a small or well-defined headboard, one or two armrests. Some models include headboard heights.
The following types of sofas for relaxation are also distinguished:
- Duchesse is a round-shaped sofa with a well-defined rounded headboard. Its variety “duchess breeze” consists of two parts - a chair and an attached pouf, which together create a spacious, comfortable berth;
- Recamier. Furniture got its name in honor of the famous French owner of the salon. The model is a small sofa with a back and armrest, made as a continuation of each other. Their bend resembles the line of an outstretched arm. Very beautiful and elegant piece of furniture;
- Ottoman - a wide, spacious sofa of Turkish origin with cushion-rollers replacing the armrest and backrest;
- The cap is a sofa with a pronounced back and armrests;
- Confidant - a pair of chairs interconnected or a small sofa, designed for two interlocutors;
- Canapé is an elegant sofa with a pronounced headboard. Often found in modern interiors;
- The ottoman is a low, spacious sofa without a back. Used to arrange a berth;
- Sofa - a low, wide sofa with a back and armrests.
The main types of couches:
- with and without armrests;
- with drawers;
- with and without back;
- with a wooden or metal frame;
- leather or textile;
- on wide or narrow legs.
The couch is a rather original, universal and useful element of the interior. It can be used as an armchair or chaise lounge, bed or sofa in different rooms. They can be single (classic version) and double, high and low, for adults and children. The latter category varies in size. Teenage models are also distinguished.
It can be used in home and office environments, for short-term relaxation or good sleep:
- Often couches are placed in the hallway. This is ideal for putting on shoes / getting dressed or sitting down for a moment. For hallways of compact size poufs or miniature banquets are more suitable. And for a spacious room, an elegant, stylish couch is perfect. It can be located along the wall, it can be an angular model of varying degrees of rigidity. A semi-soft, hard or soft couch with a back will be a wonderful decoration of the interior of the hallway, hall and corridor.
- No less harmonious couches of various models look in the bedroom . The small bedside model is used to sit on it or fold clothes. The couch, located in the corner, will become a cozy reading corner. Models can be without armrests, with a headrest and vice versa. A variety of products allows you to easily determine the right choice.
- A couch in a children's room can solve several problems at the same time: seat the children to read books or watch TV, arrange a sleeping place and carefully place children’s toys, clothes and other things. Typically, models for a child’s room are equipped with comfortable and roomy draw-out or drawers. And if the family has a newborn baby, then such a piece of furniture can easily replace a changing table.
- Sofa couch fits perfectly into the interior of the kitchen . Drawers will be an excellent place to store useful little things, and a convenient and comfortable couch will perfectly place guests or household members at the dining table.
- Couches are used not only in the house or office . It is also an indispensable subject of massage rooms, medical hospitals and doctors' offices. A practical, comfortable couch-table is ideal for a medical examination, a medical procedure or a massage session. Medical couches are often performed with height adjustment for a more comfortable position of patients. They are equipped with a manual lifting mechanism or electric drive. Convenient couches with wheels are provided for transporting the patient and performing medical procedures.
- An orthopedic couch can be used not only for medical institutions, but also for home conditions . It is a chair curved for the most comfortable position of the spine. Such furniture is recommended for people with a problem back or other orthopedic diseases. Some models have not only therapeutic, but also therapeutic effect. For example, couches with rollers for the spine.
- Today, couches are increasingly seen in the fresh air . They are used as garden furniture. Garden sofas help to quickly solve the problem of lack of seats or relax comfortably in the sun.
Despite all its apparent simplicity of such furniture, modern manufacturers offer to decorate their interior with magnificent fashionable designer products that are distinguished by originality and luxurious materials.
Since the couch is most often used as an additional element of furniture, its design and coloring should be maximally combined with the color scheme and style in which the design of the room is sustained. For instance:
- The model in the classical style is most often found due to its versatility. It is carried out in a laconic design and restrained, calm colors (white, sand, coffee). As ornaments, fancifully curved legs, a beautifully shaped back or armrest are used;
- Baroque style has always been famous for its little pretentiousness, excessive luxury and splendor. Such couches are most often performed in beautiful, noble colors (blue, wine, emerald), velvet, velor and other beautiful materials are used for upholstery. Golden fringe and tassels are used as decorations;
- Modern style implies practicality and usability. The design is usually as concise as possible, modern materials are used for manufacturing, decorative pillows can be used as decoration;
- Delicate, noble French Provence style combines a simple, modest design, flowing lines and light pastel colors. For this style, everything is natural, so a metal couch with a nice coloring of textile upholstery will come in handy;
- Fans of brighter and extravagant style decisions, for example, art deco, will surely pay attention to a couch of orange, pink, purple or red;
- Minimalism and hi-tech trends are characterized by modern materials, the simplest design, universal shades and a minimum of decorations. Therefore, a sofa, designed in this style, is most often performed in black, white, dark beige or gray. Usually the product does not have armrests and a pronounced headboard;
- Light, unobtrusive country style does not like excessive pretentiousness and pomposity, prefers natural materials and chooses practical, restrained colors.
The classic couch is a finished bed. More modern options allow the use of such furniture as a seat and as a sleeping area. Therefore, folding or sliding sofas have different options for transformation mechanisms. Usually they are divided into 2 groups: universal (for daily folding) and guest (from time to time). Let's consider them in more detail:
- Click-gag . A simple and reliable mechanism that allows you to control the side of the couch. It divides the sofa into three positions: seat, sleeping area and an intermediate option for relaxation. The mechanism is very practical and allows the use of removable covers for sofas. Minus: a couch equipped with this mechanism is not installed close to the wall, but at a short distance;
- Dolphin This mechanism is most often found in corner models, when a small couch can be quickly expanded to a full berth. The mechanism is versatile and highly reliable. This model can withstand significant weight and allows you to organize a flat, spacious berth;
- Roll-out couch is very compact, practical and easy to use. Assembled provides a comfortable seat. With the help of a secret strap, the berth is pulled out. The mechanism is suitable for daily, long-term use.
The couch, like other furniture, is made of strong, durable, practical and sturdy materials. For the manufacture of the frame part, metal and wood are most often used. The assortment for creating upholstery is not limited to two materials and represents a fairly wide range of fabrics of different textures and densities.
The metal frame consists of an alloy of steel, chromium, copper and aluminum. Such models are often performed in the style of Art Nouveau or Provence. Wrought iron couches are a special category of furniture. Openwork metal curls, zigzags, floral ornaments very adorn such a seemingly primitive piece of furniture in terms of design. The shod couch will perfectly complement and decorate any modern interior.
A wooden daybed is an excellent option for an entrance hall, bedroom or children's room . The frame is made of solid birch, ash, oak, cedar, cherry and other wood species. The lacquered coating not only extends the life of the furniture, but also gives it a soft, glossy shine.
As a filler for seats or armrests, two main groups are mainly used: with and without springs . In the first case, layers of coconut fiber, felt, and foam are laid on the spring block. In the second option, foam rubber, polyurethane foam and other elastic material are used.
Upholstery for a couch can be leather (natural or artificial), suede, velor, velvet, microfiber and other fabrics. Leather models look the most impressive, expensive and solid. Such furniture looks appropriate in the office, and in the office, and in the reception. For the arrangement of the hallway, living room or bedroom, artificial leather substitutes or soft, textured materials are suitable.
The size range of couches is not limited to any standards, so today there is no problem choosing an elegant option for a small room or a longer and wide daybed for a spacious room. Among the most common and popular couch sizes are 1750x650x620 mm, 1950x830x820 mm, 1410x800x760 mm, 1400x750x750 mm and other sizes. Folding sofas provide a berth of 120x200 cm, 70x100 cm, 70x187 cm in size, as well as other options.
A small model is not suitable for accommodating a large number of people, and this is not necessary. Typically, such furniture is used in the hallway when you need to sit down to put on shoes or answer a phone call.
Couch "baby", despite its compact appearance, will be an excellent sleeping option for one person. This roll-out sofa will not take up much space, but it will perfectly cope with the task assigned to it.
A narrow couch is sure to be a great addition to the kitchen. Small-sized kitchens (Khrushchevs) are so cramped that it is not always possible to place a standard set of furniture there. In this case, a tiny, narrow couch is exactly what you need.
The color of the couch, mainly depends on the color scheme of the rest of the furniture, interior, decoration. It can be harmoniously combined with the environment or be a bright, contrasting accent color. It all depends on what goals are set for it. So:
- Most often there are classic, restrained and calm colors (white, black, coffee, gray, beige, brown sand). Such shades are practical, unobtrusive, elegant;
- Bright green, red, yellow, orange, pink, violet, raspberry couch will certainly attract the attention of others. This model serves as a decorative ornament or a bright accent in a calm, restrained interior;
- Wooden couches with a soft or hard seat in the color of wenge, oak, walnut, ash and other wood species elegantly and subtly complement the residential and office interior.
The couch most often has a concise, rigorous design, so accessories, original covers, pillows and other items are used as decorations or decorative additions.
Terry cover is most often used for couches placed in medical institutions, massage rooms and beauty salons. They are practical, pleasant to the touch, available in pleasant colors, durable and affordable. They give the furniture a beautiful decorative look. They are usually produced with an elastic band in order to quickly and efficiently “change over” a furniture armchair or sofa if necessary.
Decorative pillows are used mainly for home furniture. This is one of the most popular and original decor items. Pillows can have different shapes (square, cylinder, circle, rectangle), sewn in the form of funny animals, cartoon characters, flowers, letters and other objects. Decorated with embroidery, applique, braid, ribbon, rhinestones, bugles or a beautiful print.
Where to put the furniture?
Depending on the functional purpose, the couch can decorate different rooms:
- It can be placed in the hallway or corridor (in a corner or along the wall) and the problem of lack of seats will be solved;
- A leather couch will elegantly decorate the office. Several of these models will easily replace a sofa or chairs;
- The couch can be put on the balcony to equip there a small corner for relaxation. Nearby you can place a small table and get a cozy place for breakfast in the fresh air, for example;
- For the living room , more interesting and overall models are usually used, which can quite replace a full-fledged sofa or a couple of chairs. They can be folding or roll-out to provide a sleeping place for households or guests at home. Furniture can be placed along the wall, in the corner or even in the center of the room. Especially if the couch is a luxurious, beautiful, dimensional model.
How to choose?
When choosing a home couch, you must adhere to the following recommendations of specialists:
- Upholstery material. If the couch is planned to be used constantly, then the upholstery fabric should be strong enough, strong, durable and easy to clean (leather, flock). If the product is a purely decorative element of the interior, then thinner and more beautiful materials (velvet, satin, velor) can be used for its design.
- The color of the couch should either match the color of the rest of the furniture or repeat 1-2 more times in the interior, for example, in curtains, floor coverings or accessories. Models of dark, deep colors are best chosen for spacious rooms. For small rooms, lighter and dimmer shades are suitable.
- The mechanism of transformation . If the couch is planned to be used as a permanent berth, then the mechanism should be very reliable and strong. It can be a withdrawable or sliding model.
- Functionality. With a lack of free space in the apartment, it is best to pay attention to corner, roll-out models equipped with drawers for linen, clothes or other things.
Stylish ideas in the interior
Consider interesting options for placing couches in the interior:
- An elegant wooden couch is ideally suited to the interior, designed in a classic, modern or oriental style. It goes well with the rest of the furniture located in the room. A bright, saturated color interior and original decorative ornaments perfectly complement the strict lines and laconic design of the couch;
- A cute couch can easily replace a bed or sofa in a teenage girl’s room. Spacious, spacious boxes will cope with the placement and storage of a mass of useful things. As a decorative addition used pillows;
- One of the most original and unusual ways to use this kind of furniture is a sill couch. This model is placed close to the window opening, replacing the traditional window sill. Now, resting on such a sofa, you can enjoy the magnificent view from the window. This option looks best, of course, in private buildings. An additional plus is the good natural lighting of the sofa. This point is especially important when reading books, for example.
How to assemble and disassemble?
Often, buyers have problems with the assembly and disassembly of couches at home. The videos below describe in detail how to do this correctly.