Cinder block is a demanded material that is used both in residential and industrial construction. He has many positive characteristics that made him insanely popular.
Pros and Cons of Material
Cinder block is a practical building material, which is produced using special forms and vibration devices with a press. A similar product is made not only in the factory, but also at home. Of course, in the latter case, quality products are obtained only with strict adherence to technology. The above material is quite common today.
They resort to its use not only in the construction of ordinary residential buildings, but also in the construction of various kinds of outbuildings, from baths and sheds to original arbors and flower beds.
Slag block is characterized by the following positive qualities that have made it so popular in the modern market:
- one of the most important advantages of this material is that it is fireproof;
- the cinder block is not afraid of either high or low temperatures, even in severe frosts, such parts are not subject to deformation or destruction;
- houses and other constructions made of cinder block are durable and reliable; Thus, a well-made dwelling from this material can easily last more than a century without losing its original appearance;
- cinder blocks buildings can be easily repaired; not only an experienced master, but also a novice can easily cope with these works;
- the lion's share of experienced builders advises you to turn to this building material, since all work with it is quick, due to the large volume of blocks and their relative flexibility - if necessary, the owners can easily correct such elements, for example, cut or saw off excess parts;
- construction work with this material is usually inexpensive;
- even an inexperienced craftsman who has never encountered such work before can cope with the laying of cinder blocks; Moreover, from a cinder block you can build a house with your own hands, without having a special education;
- such materials are characterized by good soundproofing properties, due to this characteristic in cinder block dwellings there is usually no excess noise from outside;
- cinder blocks are made of different types of raw materials, thanks to this, each consumer can choose for themselves products that will seamlessly serve in certain conditions;
- this material does not have a particularly attractive or rich appearance, although a special variety can be found on the market - decorative cinder block; such details look expensive and aesthetically pleasing, therefore they are often used as cladding for various buildings;
- the slag block is an excellent choice for the construction of a private house, since it is not a "target" for rats, mice and various insects; since parasites are not interested in this material, it does not need to be regularly treated with protective agents, such as antiseptics;
- This product is not subject to decay, such as natural wood, which over time loses its attractive appearance and many positive qualities;
- many consumers opt for a cinder block, because it has a specific heat capacity, cinder block houses are very warm and welcoming;
- it is permissible to transport such materials not only in special pallets, often they are simply stacked in a truck, not fearing for chips;
- some varieties of slag blocks are lightweight, which is why it is permissible to put structures of similar materials on lightweight foundations;
- many buyers think that the cinder block can only be rectangular, in fact, today you can meet blocks that have a very different shape; very original and eye-catching structures are made from them;
- such materials do not harm human health, and also do not cause allergic reactions;
- cinder block is not afraid of temperature jumps.
Professional builders strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with all the disadvantages of slag blocks before moving on to directly working with their use.
These include the following:
- not all types of cinder blocks are lightweight, there are very difficult options, working with which takes a lot of time and effort;
- if you want to spend money on acquiring an attractive decorative material, you need to prepare for the fact that you cannot succeed in making simple building blocks of beautiful construction;
- these blocks must be protected from contact with moisture and moisture, as they will penetrate the structure of the material; over time, damp will accumulate in the blocks, and then lead to their stratification and destruction;
- certain types of such blocks cannot be called environmentally friendly, since their content contains aggressive chemical components;
- when choosing an aesthetic decorative block, it is necessary to take into account the fact that it is characterized by increased hygroscopicity;
- laying cinder block walls, many masters are faced with the problem of laying communications; in carrying out such work, one has to turn to special devices;
- tall multi-story buildings cannot be built from these blocks;
- without finishing, the foam block does not look too beautiful, so it is usually subjected to decoration; the owners may encounter one more nuance - it is impossible to lay plaster or paint and varnish mixes on such materials due to water absorption of the blocks, finishing these substrates is permissible only with specialized materials;
- the geometry of the cinder blocks leaves much to be desired, because of this, when laying cinder blocks, the masters often have to additionally level the planes;
- blocks that are not formed under industrial conditions may be of poor quality due to non-compliance with the proportions or manufacturing techniques.
There are several types of slag blocks on the building materials market.
- Hollow and full. These materials are used in construction with enviable regularity. So, full-bodied specimens can be used in the manufacture of foundations, columns, supporting structures and socles. Blocks with voids are used in the construction of partitions and walls. Such products have a very low weight, therefore, do not create serious loads on the bases.
- Decorative. Similar types of cinder blocks are facing. They have occupied their niche in the building materials market recently, but have already managed to gain popularity among buyers due to their attractive appearance. On their surface there is a neat decorative coating that imitates stone or plaster. Such an addition not only makes the blocks more aesthetic, but also protects them from contact with moisture and moisture. Of course, such materials cost more than simple ones, but their quality justifies the price.
- Foundation. Blocks of this type are also called artificial stone. Such products have excellent strength characteristics. Moreover, these materials last a very long time. Over time, the base cinder blocks do not shrink and do not deform.
- Septum. These types of cinder blocks are designed for laying partitions (hence the name). From these materials you can build smooth and neat walls of the correct geometry. At the same time, the consumption of cement mortar cannot but please the master. Such blocks also differ in that they are simple to operate.
- Colored. These types of cinder blocks are used as often as conventional options. However, they are often referred to in the manufacture of fences and columnar structures. One or another shade is given to these blocks even during their manufacture. To this end, the solution is supplemented with crushed brick chips or multi-colored chalk.
- Torn and chipped. Recently on sale appeared torn and chipped cinder blocks. Their surface is considered to be decorative, as it is an imitation of "torn" or chipped brick. The specified materials for facing are applied due to the original look.
Slag blocks are divided according to their fundamentals.
There are several options.
- Slag. Slag-based materials are most common. They can boast of good insulation qualities. Such blocks can serve as much as a simple brick. But here it should be noted that the service life of these materials depends on their composition.
- Arbolitovye. Arbolite-based blocks also have excellent thermal insulation qualities, but do not last as long as slag products, which is a rather serious drawback. If substances that prolong their durability are added to the composition of arbolite blocks, then this makes materials less environmentally friendly.
- Expanded clay. Expanded clay blocks are rightfully recognized as the most environmentally friendly. Such materials are characterized by excellent thermal qualities and a very long service life. The positive properties of such blocks are due to their expanded clay base, since expanded clay itself is a lightweight material with natural pores in its structure.
Today, experienced experts recommend choosing the expanded clay slag stones, which is explained not only by their environmental safety, but also by their unpretentiousness. Today, many homes in Europe are built from such elements.
Many consumers are confident that slag is the main component in the composition of cinder blocks. However, it should be noted that the name of this material has long passed into the category of conditional.
The following materials can be used as block filler:
- granite crushed stone;
- river gravel;
- expanded clay;
The properties and characteristics of cinder blocks directly depend on the components that are present in their composition. For example, solid parts are usually made from ingredients such as pebbles, gravel and sand. The result is dense and heavy materials.
When preparing lighter concrete solutions, perlite, slag, expanded clay are used. From this basis blocks with light weight and low thermal conductivity are obtained.
Dimensions and weight
Standard sizes of typical slag blocks in accordance with GOST are as follows:
- 39 cm - length;
- 190 mm - width;
- 188 mm - height.
But do not think that in retail outlets you can find blocks that have only such dimensions. Other sizes are also available, for example, 400x200x200 mm or 395x195x195 mm. There are special varieties of cinder blocks - half blocks. Usually they make up partition walls. The standard dimensions of these materials are 390x120x188 mm. DIY blocks can be significantly different in size from products manufactured on an industrial scale. For example, parts with dimensions of 300x140x140 mm are widely used.
As for the weight of the slag blocks, it is worth considering that the following features affect this parameter:
- fillers that are part of the blocks;
- direct internal structure of materials;
- corpulent or hollow block type.
The average weight of a full-bodied cinder block (standard) is 25–28 kg. Hollow options can weigh 13–18 kg, and the weight of semi-blocks often varies in readings from 10 to 13 kg.
Scope of application
Cinder block is famous for its multitasking. This material is used in various fields and has a different purpose.
It is worth paying attention to the following examples:
- high-density products are used for the construction of residential buildings, while external walls are made of solid parts in those buildings where there is more than 1 floor;
- use this material in the construction of baths; it is suitable for such buildings, as it is not afraid of fire and does not rot;
- from cinder blocks you can build a garage;
- reliable fences are obtained from these materials, for this purpose it is recommended to use only frost-resistant materials of high strength;
- base cinder block constructions are simple in construction and also serve for many years; the strength of such a foundation will depend on the specific type of soil on the site and on the number of floors of the future construction;
- most often this material is used for masonry walls; so, for external structures usually use solid parts or blocks in which the void level is 30%;
- many owners build sheds from cinder blocks at their sites; if the appearance of such a building does not play a special role, then absolutely any variety of blocks (with any composition) are used for it;
- solid cottages are made from cinder blocks, of course, people turn to similar buildings not so often, since a classic arbor should be more elegant and attractive, but cinder blocks will turn out to be warmer and more stable; for such construction work, materials can be used in which the void rate is 40%;
- from the slag block beautiful basements are obtained;
- this material is permissible to use in the construction of the draft base, and subsequently trim it with decorative materials;
- if there is a noticeable difference between the threshold of the house and the plane of the yard, then it can be laid out with a cinder block porch, which can easily “smooth out” the difference; the draft structure can then be finished with tiles or porcelain tiles - it all depends on the preferences of the owners;
- few people know, but from a cinder block, it is quite possible to build a street toilet; as a rule, such structures are additionally insulated, therefore it is permissible to use any kind of block (even with a very low density level);
- many consumers are wondering if it is possible to build a pool on the site from a cinder block; in fact, experts still advise pouring such structures into concrete, since slag elements will absorb water and begin to break down; it is better to formwork from such blocks;
- some home craftsmen make braziers from slag blocks; the area where the fire will be built is recommended to be made of refractory brick, and lay the lower part in blocks;
- used cinder block is sometimes more expensive than new, as a rule, such materials were previously laid out using the correct technology and manufactured at the factory; these types of slag blocks can be used for the construction of cesspools.
On the pros and cons of cinder block, see the next video.