Multifunctional equipment is an integral part of the life of almost any person living today. Large offices are actively using computer technology and related systems. Take, for example, flatbed scanners: not only offices, but also many active users, can’t do without them now. The article will focus on this type of equipment, its capabilities and features.
What it is?
Flatbed scanner - multifunctional equipment with high productivity and convenient operation. The main feature of this technique is that during scanning it is not necessary to deform the document or any other printed matter.
This is a convenient device for scanning books, slides, photographs, film and other materials.
Principle of operation
To convert the material into electronic form, you need to place the sheet on a special glass surface, face down.
After starting up the equipment, a carriage placed under the glass begins to operate. This component is equipped with sensors, mirrors, lenses and other technical elements. When moving, the carriage projects light onto the printed matter. It is reflected and captured by sensitive sensors.
Sensors convert information into special electrical signals, depending on the level of illumination of each of the sections of the scanned document. The signals are picked up by the equipment converter and converted into digital form. The received digital information is sent to the computer in the form of an electronic file.
As soon as the scanner is completed, the technique notifies the user of this, and a new image appears on the screen. The equipment is controlled through special software that is installed on the PC before using the scanner. In addition, you can use the hot keys.
Advantages and disadvantages
This type of scanner has the following advantages:
- large set of functions;
- ease of use, understandable even to novice users;
- a wide range of models that differ in features and price category;
- high quality of the received image;
- support for various formats.
- large sizes of some models of equipment;
- there are restrictions on scanning transparent materials.
Modern flatbed scanners are presented in various configurations, each of which is designed to work with certain materials. You can name a few of the most used types of tablet technology.
- Broach scanner. This view is designed specifically for scanning unwanted documentation and images. Using rollers, sheets of paper automatically pass through the device. During this, documents are processed by a light source and sensitive sensors.
- Film. This type of scanner is often used in professional copy centers and photo studios. The equipment is used for processing photographic films, as well as digitizing slides and other materials on transparent media.
- Networked . The main characteristic of this equipment is the high speed of data transmission, which are sent to electronic addresses. Some models are capable of storing data on external media and in network folders of a computer.
For those users who wish to purchase a flatbed scanner for personal use, it is recommended to pay attention to the popular wide-format models with an automatic paper feeder.
Canon CanoScan LiDE 400
Convenient and practical technique, perfect for scanning thick printed matter. The technique can be locked if necessary in an upright position. Pros:
- high speed of creating copies;
- diverse range of settings;
- improved color reproduction (due to LiDE backlight);
- excellent ratio of technical characteristics and cost;
- reliable and coordinated operation of devices;
- connection and power via LiDE port.
The downside is the following point: in order to take advantage of all the hardware features, it is imperative to install the latest driver version.
Perfection V370 Photo by Epson
Compact equipment with professional functionality. Included is software for processing scanned material. What are the benefits?
- Quick work.
- Practical and reliable assembly.
- Reasonable price, considering the capabilities of the equipment.
- The scanner is suitable for use both in the office and at home.
- A universal model for working with photographs, printed documents, film and other materials.
- Free and useful software included.
Disadvantage: a rather easily soiled black case, on which tiny particles of dust and other contaminants are noticeable.
Modern Mustek A3 1200S
The equipment is designed to work with large formats (including A3). This scanner, in addition, is suitable for scanning drawings, graphs and other project documentation.
- the equipment will please with good productivity and reliability (even with intensive use);
- fast scanning process;
- size of documents is determined automatically;
- Convenient layout for positioning sheets.
Minus: when scanning large formats at maximum resolution, the cycle increases significantly (up to 50 seconds).
Consider the list of manufacturers of flatbed scanners.
Canon brand products are in demand worldwide. This company has gained popularity thanks to high-quality cameras. In the manufacture of scanners, specialists used high-speed Multi-Photo technology. With its help, the technique automatically recognizes and aligns the image.
The user can lay out several images on the glass at once, thereby significantly saving the time spent on scanning.
The technology released under this brand attracts buyers' attention with excellent quality and affordable price. The company's specialists have worked on high precision text transmission, as well as contrast and image saturation. Special technologies were applied to maximize the quality of the translation of the original document into electronic format. Scanners of the Epson trademark demonstrate excellent results when processing photographs, texts, drawings and other documents. The equipment is quite suitable for home use.
Products from this manufacturer are actively used in large business centers and offices. Using professional equipment, you can scan a large amount of material in a short time.
Users who have been using equipment from this manufacturer for many years have noted the high build quality and reliability of the equipment.
Criterias of choice
When choosing a scanner for home or office, you need to pay attention to certain technical specifications and features of a particular model . And first of all, you need to decide for what purposes the technique will be used. Some options are designed specifically for photographs, while others are for text documents and graphics. If the equipment is chosen for an office in which many people work, an important parameter will be the scanning speed.
A fast scanner will do a lot of work in the shortest possible time. For digitizing images, it is important that the scanner is color. In some cases, you may need a two-way device with a large set of functions and support for many resolutions (including A4 format). The main parameters include characteristics, which we will consider in more detail below.
This parameter is also known as “color bit depth.” In the technical specification for the equipment it is indicated in bits. The higher the number, the better the result of the scanned image. If you plan to use the scanner to digitize text documents or graphs, including color ones, 24-bit equipment will be sufficient.
For scanning photos and other images, it is best to select equipment with a value of 48 bits. The technique with improved color reproduction has a 96-bit color depth parameter, which is a characteristic of professional scanners.
The number of shades transmitted from the scanner to the computer will depend on the color depth.
If this option is not so important when choosing digital equipment for home use, then for professional models it is necessary to pay attention to it. The dynamic range significantly affects the gradation of brightness of the picture, and is also responsible for a smooth transition between tones and shades. If the flatbed scanner has a color rendering of 24 bits, then the dynamic range should vary from about 2.4 to 2.6 units. For 48-bit models and higher, this indicator should be at least 3.
If the user is of great importance to the contrast and saturation of the final image, then this characteristic is also necessary for selection. In the absence of this parameter in the equipment description, it is worth looking for it in the instruction manual.
Format for documents
The next parameter that you must pay attention to when choosing a scanner is the format of the original document. Most current models designed for use at home and in offices are designed for A4 sheets. To create posters, layouts and other print products use scanners that support larger formats. Copy centers and printing studios cannot do without such equipment.
Manufacturers of modern scanners have developed many options for connecting equipment to desktop computers and laptops. As a rule, equipment can be synchronized through three types of ports:
- combo option (USB + SCSI).
The first connector is the most popular and widely used, so experts recommend stopping your choice on models that are paired via the USB interface.
- Resolution. Another parameter that you should pay attention to when buying a scanner. Specialists designate this characteristic using dots or pixels (dpi or ppi, respectively). The larger their number, the better for the quality of the received electronic document. This option is important when scanning both texts and photos. This characteristic is indicated by two digital indicators. One indicates the resolution of the image vertically, and the other - horizontally. Some manufacturers indicate only the optical resolution (horizontal), which significantly depends on the matrix model.
- The standard parameter for home use is 600x1200 dpi. If the resulting image is planned to be edited, the minimum resolution should be 2000 dpi. High-end models are used by professional photographers to work with widescreen images. To scan texts, graphics and other materials, it makes no sense to spend money on professional equipment.
- Supported OS A flatbed scanner is a peripheral device for a computer. For the equipment to work, it must be compatible with the operating system installed on the PC. Most models work seamlessly with Windows, which is the most popular platform to date. You can also find options on the digital technology market that work with Mac OS or Linux. This parameter must be clarified before purchase.
How to connect?
Using the scanner begins with its synchronization with the computer. The connection process is very simple and usually does not cause difficulties even for a novice user. The cable coming from the scanner must be connected to the appropriate connector on a PC or laptop. Before the actual connection, it is necessary to install special software called a driver. A disk with the necessary software should be included with the equipment. If it is missing, you can download the driver on the manufacturer’s website (the software is publicly available). Select the latest version of the program, download it and install it on your PC. Software is required for the computer to identify a new device.
The installation process takes place according to a specific algorithm.
- The boot disk that comes with the kit must be inserted into the drive and wait for it to load.
- If nothing happens, you must start the disk yourself. To do this, open "My Computer", right-click on the drive icon and select "Startup". You can also open the disk menu and run the setup file. exe.
- After that, the program is installed, following the Russian-language menu.
How to use?
After installing the software, it is necessary to check the operation of the new equipment. To do this, try to scan any document, be it text or image. Checking the equipment is as follows.
- Carry out transport unlocking of the scanner carriage.
- If the device is not connected to the network, it must be connected and activated by pressing the power button.
- Now you need to open the lid of the flatbed scanner and place a document for scanning on its glass panel, with its image facing down.
- After placing the document, close the scanner lid.
- To start the scanning process, you need to click the appropriate button. Correctly, manufacturers designate it with the inscription "Scan". If everything is done correctly, the equipment will start working, and a corresponding message will appear on the computer screen.
Note: a program for scanning materials is already embedded in the operating system. And also the user can install additional software, which may be necessary for editing the received digital images or their further distribution.
If you need to convert the scanned document to text format, you will need a special program. It recognizes letters and numbers, translating them into plain text. You can find additional software in the vastness of the worldwide network.
The following video describes how the flatbed scanner works.