Future parents, in anticipation of the birth of a baby, are faced with various tasks that they must solve before birth. And one of the items on the endless list of things to do for childbirth is the choice of a baby changing mat. Having learned about the variety of models and materials, a young couple can easily determine the most suitable version of this device for her.
What is it needed for?
Not all expectant mothers consider a changing mat for babies to be a necessary purchase. However, experienced parents with all responsibility declare that such a mattress will facilitate the life and procedures with the baby, at least in the first months after birth. According to the experience of mothers and grandmothers, some parents adapt any surfaces for this purpose, endangering their baby and causing a lot of inconvenience to themselves.
Using a changing mat gives the following advantages:
- In the first months of a child’s life, changing diapers and other hygiene procedures occur very often, so it’s convenient to have a specially equipped corner with a soft surface and everything you need at hand. Such a mattress can be located on a changing chest or mounted on a bed, it all depends on the modification of a particular model.
- Pediatricians often recommend that, in addition to visiting a masseur, mothers do independent gymnastics with their baby. In addition, many parents invite massage specialists to their home for better classes with their child. Various exercises will help you quickly learn new skills and strengthen muscles. The most comfortable place for such activities is a changing mat.
- Most often, mattresses are equipped with soft sides on two sides so that the child who has mastered the skills of turning does not roll away from him. Sometimes there is also a side at the head that protects the head of an already grown baby during crawling practice. However, leaving the baby unattended in a swaddling place is still not worth it.
- Due to mobility and lightweight enough, a mother can easily move a changing table from room to room or place it in the bathroom for procedures after bathing.
- Many young mothers have problems with their backs from the increased load, because the child has to be carried in her arms for a good part of the day and even at night. Setting the changing mat at a comfortable level for mom will save her from constant bending to the sofa, which usually brings even greater discomfort in the lower back.
Manufacturers of children's accessories and furniture offer a wide selection of changing accessories. They differ not only in appearance, but also in functionality:
- Soft swaddler or bedding. This kind of changing device is distinguished by the affordable price for many, as well as its mobility. Due to the soft filler and oilcloth surface, the changing mat is easily twisted and therefore simply indispensable when traveling. It can be easily attached to almost any surface: on a chest of drawers, a table and even a washing machine.
- Changing board. Such a children's gadget has a solid base and can be mounted on a crib. The board is significantly larger than the diaper with a soft base and is characterized by higher strength. The solidity of changing boards affects their higher cost.
Materials and colors
Another important nuance when choosing a surface for changing a newborn for many parents is the degree of safety of materials. Fillers and external upholstery should be made of hypoallergenic materials and not contain prohibited substances. Materials for baby changing can also be unpretentious in care and easy to clean, which will allow you to properly monitor the hygiene of the newborn.
As the external material, manufacturers most often use a special film or oilcloth. It is easy to care for such a surface, it is enough to rub the dirt with a damp cloth. Such a mattress can also be used as bedding during water procedures in the bathroom.
Some models come with a special fabric cover, which, if necessary, is quite easy to remove and wash.
On the mattress with a cover, you can attach Velcro, on which a towel or diaper is fixed for procedures. After the procedure, it is enough to wash the diaper, and not remove the cover every time.
In choosing an internal filler for changing devices, parents are faced with an even wider range of materials:
- One of the most popular modern filler materials is Skylon . It is distinguished by its elasticity and good restorative performance. Due to the properties of the filler, such children's mattresses are not sagging and retain a presentable appearance even after prolonged use.
- Many manufacturers of accessories and furniture for babies use polyester foam as a filler. It is also successfully used in the manufacture of mattresses and pillows with orthopedic properties. In addition to environmental friendliness and a long service life, swaddling bags filled with polyester foam are protected from breeding dust mites and other parasites.
- For mobile parents, who often travel by various means of transport, a rubber changing mat will be a worthwhile acquisition. Due to the material, such a swaddler folds easily and compactly, occupying a minimum of space in luggage. For the comfort of the baby should have a removable cover made of hypoallergenic fabric.
Manufacturers of children's mattresses present a wide range of colors for their products. You can choose a traditionally girlish pink or boyish blue swaddler, someone likes funny children's pictures. Some parents choose this accessory in the color of a changing chest or other furniture designed for it, while others prefer neutral colors and buy a white or beige mattress that suits both the boy and the girl.
The presence of pleasant little things that can make life easier for young parents always becomes a pleasant addition to the basic functions of the accessory. Often for soft swaddling mattresses, manufacturers offer to purchase a cover from a textile that is pleasant to the skin of a baby. Such a cover will not only allow you to better monitor the baby's hygiene, but also provide the child with maximum comfort and warmth during procedures or charging.
Convenient additions for such models include a handbag, in which a swaddler fits without problems. This option will be appreciated by mobile moms, who are often selected from home with a baby. The sides on the mattress are not functional at first, so some manufacturers make them inflatable. Parents can optionally inflate the side walls or the partition at the head.
Typically, the size of the changing mat is selected commensurate with the surface on which it will most often be used. Many parents purchase swaddling tables or drawers with drawers for baby items and diapers.
If the surface of the changing chest is not quite wide, it is preferable to choose a slightly smaller mattress, since usually on the changing surface of the mother various jars and powders are conveniently placed for carrying out hygiene procedures.
Often there are mattresses with parameters 65x60 or 50x65 cm, which will fit almost any model of a changing chest. In addition, such mattresses, due to their small dimensions, can be easily taken with you on a visit or on a trip.
Swaddling surfaces are most useful in the first year of a child’s life, when he is just learning to move independently. Therefore, the optimal length of the mattress is 80 cm, if the surface chosen for its location allows it. For longer use, you can search for a model with a length of up to a meter.
The modern choice of children's products is represented by a wide range of products from both domestic and foreign manufacturers of changing accessories. Products from various firms differ in quality and materials used, as well as in price.
- Among Russian manufacturers, they compare favorably with other models from Globex or Fairy . As materials for their mattresses, they choose foam rubber and high-quality cotton fabrics that are able to provide the baby with optimal softness and comfort. The side skirts of the models of these companies are designed to provide additional security, and the lower price inherent in all Russian goods with appropriate quality attracts a large number of buyers.
- Polish mattresses from Disney or Ceba firms , which have in their assortment models with impressive dimensions, also differ in acceptable price.
- Along with Polish goods are accessories from the Latvian company Troll , which are lightweight and have a waterproof cotton surface.
- German quality has long been famous around the world, so companies from Germany are among the leaders in the issue of children's accessories. Geuther models are popular , the basis of which is made of high quality foam rubber.
- In addition, European companies include Bebe Jou from the Netherlands, who successfully use advanced technology and produce mattresses filled with polyester foam. European factories produce accessories above the average, but such a price is justified by excellent quality and high wear resistance.
How to choose?
Young parents should approach with purchase of the device for changing the baby with full responsibility. A few recommendations will help make inexperienced parents the right choice:
- Buy a mattress, like other children's accessories, should only be from trusted manufacturers. If in doubt, you can always ask the seller for a quality certificate confirming compliance of the product with all standards.
- The presence of any unpleasant odor from the accessory may indicate a low quality of the materials used for its production. It is better to refuse to buy such a product so that the newborn baby does not show an allergic reaction.
- The mattress must have a base that will not slip on the surface during use. A slippery device can be especially dangerous during the first attempts to crawl the baby.
- It will be more pleasant for the child to be on a soft and warm fabric surface than on an oilcloth basis. Therefore, you need to take care in advance of acquiring a suitable mattress cover. The most popular models of covers of mixed fibers, which are pleasant to the touch and easy to wash in the washing machine.
How to choose the right changing mat, see the next video.