Increasingly, the walls of the working area of the kitchen are decorated with a glass apron. This view has many advantages and design options over analogues.
Advantages and disadvantages
The glass apron of the kitchen is a protective panel for the walls, while there are a number of advantages.
- It is created from environmentally friendly material, therefore it does not pose a threat to human health.
- High material strength due to special hardening technologies.
- Huge selection of design options.
- Differs in simple leaving. The apron made of glass does not absorb fat and moisture, so it is easy to remove them from the surface. And also the material is resistant to any cleaning products, except for abrasive ones.
- Resistant to mechanical stress, scratches and chips. In case of damage, glass fragments are not sharp, they do not allow injury.
- Visually expands the space of the kitchen.
- It has a lower cost compared to similar materials.
- Simple assembly and disassembly of the product. The absence of visible seams and grouts that do not darken and do not spoil the appearance. In addition, dirt and dust do not accumulate in such seams, which is very hygienic.
- Firmly attached to any surface.
Despite the fact that such a surface has advantages, there are a number of disadvantages. These include:
- Through the transparent glass all the defects of the wall are clearly visible. Therefore, before installing the panels, carefully prepare the surface.
- Installation of such panels requires accuracy, and it will be problematic to resize during installation. It will also cause problems by applying extra holes during installation.
- Surface cleaning should be carried out with detergents without abrasive particles or powder: such products can cause scratches.
You will learn about the pros and cons of glass aprons for the kitchen from the next video.
The design of such a surface has many options and depends on the type of glass. The most common glass is transparent, which not only performs a protective function, but can also carry an aesthetic orientation if desired. So, under this glass you can insert a photograph or a whole collage of them, as well as recipes or necessary notes. Another original design option will be the installation of glass wallpaper or a poster with a volumetric pattern under glass.
Clear glass looks good with backlight. It can be installed both behind the glass and above the apron. Glass can also be decorated with a pattern or frosted glass can be installed, which is suitable for rooms in a modern style.
The painted glass looks beautiful and original in any kitchen. The main thing is to choose a harmonious color with the design of the room. The surface of the apron can be either plain or with an image. Floral, gastronomic motifs are popular. One type of apron with a pattern is aprons with a 3D image. Such a pattern can be applied both on the wrong surface, and on the front side of the glass. Its main feature is the ability to independently choose a drawing. Depending on the interior, it can be applied using photo printing or using vinyl film. The first option is the most durable, but also more expensive.
Another type of kitchen apron are mirror panels. They visually increase the volume of the kitchen, which is more important for small rooms. They are able to both visually expand and lengthen the space. And also such models have unlimited design options. You can choose an aged surface, frosted, tinted, mirror glass with a pattern.
Tips & Tricks
When choosing a glass apron for the kitchen , some recommendations should be considered.
- It is better to choose glass with a thickness of more than 6 mm, as it is more durable, although more expensive.
- The price of the finished apron depends on many parameters: size, texture, method of fastening and the number of parts. The more complicated the design of the apron, the more expensive the installation will cost.
- When choosing an apron with a pattern or colored glass, the style of the kitchen should be considered. Glass should harmoniously fit into the overall interior and stand out discreetly among the overall plot.
- When choosing colored glass, you should rely on the color scheme of walls and furniture. The best option would be a drawing consisting of those colors that are present in the kitchen. The choice of classic colors will be a win-win option for a kitchen in any style.