The variety of finishing materials gives a lot of opportunities for creative design. When decorating rooms, much attention is paid to wallpaper: they set the tone for the interior, often “reach” the situation to the desired level, make the walls elegant, in accordance with the spirit of the era. Among the huge list of varieties of interior decoration, self-adhesive wallpaper is a particularly interesting material demanded by buyers. They stand out against the background of other analogues, have a number of features and advantages.
What is it?
Self-adhesive wallpaper called self-adhesive. This is a composite material from several layers:
- release adhesion;
This is an alternative to the usual roll and liquid counterparts, plastic and high-quality finishing material, “finish coating”, which can be glued to different surfaces, just removing the protective paper layer. It is characterized by durability, has several advantages, is formed by the method of calendering, surface extrusion and caching.
- A self-adhesive film is not just a decorative design technique: it is a functional subject of cladding. Depending on the selected pattern, texture, color and style, these wallpapers can:
- update the surface of the furniture, eliminating the need to buy a new one (especially important if the house has small children or pets);
- to collect together pieces of furniture (kitchen, children's furniture, wardrobe, table and chairs, work area);
- mask surface defects using a technique of combining materials or design sketches (panels, paintings, patchwork techniques);
- protect the working surface of the walls in places most susceptible to dirt and moisture (for example, in the hallway).
Advantages and disadvantages
This raw material is an indispensable tool in the finishing work. Unlike classic and liquid wallpapers, the use of this material has no boundaries.
Regardless of the film or paper base, self-adhesive is appropriate in the decoration:
- the ceiling;
- kitchen sets;
- bedside accessories.
Being a unique repair tool, this coating:
- several times simplifies the decoration of the treated surface;
- resistant to moisture and alkaline solutions, retains the attractiveness and brightness of the surface for a long time;
- manufactured using new technologies, featuring high technical and practical characteristics;
- differs in simplicity of application, while sufficiently strong and flexible;
- It is cheaper than the usual analogues, it allows you to save money on facing the desired surface;
- It is a bright and effective finishing material, it has a rich color palette and a variety of prints;
- depending on the well-chosen theme fits perfectly into different interior styling;
- due to the used color and size of the print, it is able to visually change the space of a room, filling it with light or highlighting bright spots with saturated tones;
- can be used in any room of the home, regardless of the humidity level (suitable for decorating a bedroom, living room, nursery, study, home library, loggia, bathroom, toilet room);
- differs by a variety of textures, supporting the stylistics of the interior composition and often imitating the desired finishing material;
- Looks expensive and natural, forcing furnishings to correspond to the desired status;
- sold in any hardware store next to familiar counterparts;
- due to the different structure, width and price of the components, it differs in different cost, so that buyers always have the opportunity to purchase finishes in the right amount, taking into account the taste and wallet.
Self-adhesive wallpapers are odorless, they are harmless and can be used with other finishing materials. Self-adhesive harmoniously looks with vinyl, non-woven and liquid wallpaper, it can be combined with plastic and laminated panels. No less colorful she looks in the kitchen in combination with tiles.
This is a material that perfectly replaces the painting of walls and furniture, it does not need to be dried after gluing the work surface, has good adhesion, is not capricious in maintenance and can be sold in two varieties: in a roll or in a segment of the required length.
Like other facing materials, self-gluing has disadvantages:
- it cannot stick to an unprepared surface, otherwise it gives out irregularities, tubercles, breaks from sharp burrs;
- not compatible with several types of surfaces (does not stick to lime, planes with greasy and dirty spots);
- in the presence of defects, gluing peels off the glued surface (does not accept bubbles and water);
- Needs accuracy and knowledge of certain nuances of pasting (with excessive tension it can tear, stretch, violating the impeccability of the picture and joint);
- not able to mask significant surface flaws, does not fit into pits and does not cover every bend of the tubercles (peels off);
- does not provide for re-gluing: if correction is necessary, you will have to use a new canvas (requires a margin for marriage and alteration).
The disadvantage of self-adhesive wallpaper is the different design possibilities of budget and premium grades of material. Paper-based canvases are inferior to film finishes in everything: their color, brightness, pattern, texture are noticeably simpler. Moreover, resistance is inherent, rather, film varieties. In addition, concrete walls cannot be glued with self-adhesive.
Self-adhesive wallpaper - a line of various coatings.
This finish includes several varieties that have strengths and weaknesses:
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride) film is a classic resembling ordinary wallpaper;
- adhesive-based photo printing - composite pictures;
- satin varieties - fabrics with embossing and the effect of a woven surface;
- chalk - options with a special coating for drawing with chalk or markers;
- mirror - coatings with a metallized base;
- cork wallpaper - varieties with sound and heat insulation;
- coating-imitation - self-adhesive for natural and synthetic materials.
The glue base of these wallpapers is made on a rubber or water basis of dispersed acrylate.
Self-adhesive is a unique material. In addition to a rich assortment of shades and patterns, it is notable for its degree of transparency. This technique allows you to use the wallpaper as a stained glass window by sticking it on a glass surface. It ideally keeps on a laminate, MDF, chipboard, fiberboard, wood, plastic and metal plane.
Depending on this, the texture of the material allows you to beat the features of a particular room:
- glossy - to distract attention from dark areas of the room;
- matte - give status to the setting;
- mirror - to create the illusion of the spaciousness of the room;
- holographic - give the room an extraordinary effect;
- transparent - to support the desired design style;
- rough - hide small irregularities of the surface to be glued.
The texture can be velvety, plush, self-adhesive suitable for classic and ultramodern interiors.
Among the interesting coloring-imitations of the texture include patterns under:
- veneer or rough wood;
- natural stone;
- porcelain tile;
- ceramic tile;
- leather upholstery;
- skin of reptiles;
- school board;
- stained glass window;
- Chinese painting.
Often in the collections there are all kinds of flowers, butterflies, monograms, lace motifs with interweaving of stems and leaves, children's colors with images of princesses and soft toys. The hit patterns are hieroglyphics and large custom-made photo printing. Drawings are selected in such a way that they look appropriate, corresponding to the purpose of the room and the chosen design style. Unsuccessful prints include small matting, a cage, strip and polka dots: instead of a beautiful effect, they create ripples in the eyes, which quickly begins to annoy all households, since it is painful to look at such a finish.
Dimensions of rolled wallpaper vary in width, which can be several formats: 45, 67, 70, 90, 100 cm. Each company offers its own formats, so there are no strict standards. The length can be 8, 15, 20 meters. Some varieties reach 50 m with a width of 60 cm. Moreover, the cost does not depend on the width, but on the texture, density, composition, footage of the roll and operational characteristics. The cheapest wallpaper are options for updating furniture: their width is 45 cm, length - no more than 2 m.
The structure of the material consists of:
- polyester, propylene or polyvinyl chloride (coating layer);
- plasticizers and stabilizers (for elasticity and strength);
- pigments (responsible for the color scheme);
- cellulose or synthetic textiles (base wallpaper).
In other words, it is paper or film wallpaper with the addition of artificial or natural fibers.
The color schemes of self-adhesive wallpapers are multifaceted and are subject to a certain theme and texture. If these are varieties of wood, they are in beige and brown tones, a light shade of wenge oak. Less often on the canvases there is gray-black with a splash of brown color of the flooring under faded wood. Canvases with imitation stone are made in gray, malachite shades.
Regarding stained glass sketches, a vivid combination of red, blue, green, yellow and purple colors can be noted.
Canvases for the kitchen, living room and children's room are cheerful: sunny and warm tones play here: red, orange, yellow, green, pink. Often, freshness notes (mint, turquoise, blue colors) are added to them. Wallpaper for the bedroom is more restrained: golden, cream, sand shades are preferred, although it is often possible to see bright black, brown contrasts against a light background.
In order to get acquainted with the material, it is worth paying attention to the products of trusted companies that have earned the trust of customers.
Patifix - natural wallpaper in marble, wood, velor, animal skin, plain and metallic canvases, as well as decoration with a varied pattern and stylized ornament 15 m long with a width of 45 and 70 cm, characterized by a rich assortment and reasonable cost.
Alkor - decorative coatings 15 m long with a width of 45, 67, 90 cm with a plain, stained, holographic, metallized coating, imitation of wood, stone, matting, colors for children and adults, including abstraction and a blackboard.
DC-Fix - a rolled stained glass film without an adhesive layer with the effect of electrostatic attraction and on a familiar basis with a variety of patterns in white, light and bright colors, as well as adhesive wallpapers with a velvet, smooth texture in plain colors and color patterns, including photo printing.
How to choose?
For the purchase of self-adhesive wallpaper to be successful, the choice of material should be approached thoroughly. To begin with, it is important to understand that the material for facing walls, furniture, glasses is different. In addition, it differs in the degree of moisture resistance, so some surfaces are practically not afraid of contact with a damp cloth, while others allow only dry dust removal. If you plan a quality cladding, it is important to think about the composition and location of the finish. When sample requirements are outlined, you can go to the store. Purchase is carried out in person. So there is an opportunity to evaluate the clarity and realism of the pattern, the saturation of colors, the size of the print.
It is worth taking note of a few recommendations:
- it makes no sense to glue the laminate with a canvas under a similar surface: it makes no sense even if the film corrects scratches or cracks in the base;
- the calculation of the picture is carried out taking into account the chosen accent: it must be correlated with the size of the allotted space and be located in the center, otherwise the room will "go" to the side;
- the type of surface to be glued matters (wallpaper is preferable for pasting a plastic, veneered plane);
- the relevance of the print in a particular style and type of room is important: it should not violate the overall harmony of design, coinciding in at least one shade with the background of the walls and their texture (matte wallpapers do not fade with a glossy surface);
- it is worth taking care of a small supply of material: if in the process of work a marriage occurs, there may not be enough material for plywood;
- moderation of use matters: there should not be much self-adhesive, otherwise the interior will lose its attractiveness and become tasteless.
So that the composition is not boring, you can buy paired wallpapers: this will create the appearance of the ensemble, place accents in the right places, fit the finish into the existing interior.
It’s not enough to buy self-adhesive: you need to be able to use it. To understand what a harmonious design update looks like, you can appreciate the techniques of experienced designers.
If the kitchen does not have an apron, self-adhesive wallpapers will perfectly fill the space between tables and hinged shelves: bright vertical strips in the tone of furniture handles will bring warmth to the cold colors of the kitchen.
Nothing can extend the color boredom of beige wallpaper like a juicy green tone: self-gluing with photo printing in the form of large olives will make the interior look new, especially if the facade of one of the tables is decorated in an identical shade.
To make the interior of the nursery special, it is enough to paste over the furniture facades: the wardrobe and table will look very different, and the room will sparkle with positive colors.
Using large drawings, one can also use this contrast technique: cut a decorative element and stick it on another material. You get the illusion of a furniture ensemble.
About how to glue self-adhesive wallpapers correctly, see the next video.